Who wrote Genesis?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (201 posts)
  1. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Hi friends

I don't know who wrote Genesis? Its author cannot be Moses; he is not mentioned in it.

Any idea with reasons and arguments.

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible. He doesn't have to mention his own name in the first book.

Moses asked God to show him His glory and God said I will show you what is behind.

1. profile image0
        crmhaskeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are two views: Moses wrote it, and Moses did not write it.  Amoung scholars and archeologists the latter is becoming more accepted than the former.

In the first view it is said that God wrote through Moses -> so Moses was God's ghost writer for Genesis

In the second view it is said that Moses is not Genesis' author, but instead compiled the written eye-witness accounts of those mentioned in Genesis.  Tablets have been found as far back as 3500 BC, and if you go by the dates in the Bible this makes it possible that Adam, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Joseph or someone related to them recorded their autobiographies, that Moses then later compiled into the Book of Genesis.

1. profile image0

That is certainly possible. But Moses asked to see the glory of God. God said look behind me or I will show you my hinder parts because no man can see my face anf live.

The problem I have with scholars and theologians is they use hostory and stories to try and figure out what's what. Most do not know what it means to have something recvealed to them by the spirit.

Case inb point: The apostle Paul is attacked not only by non believers and muslims, even some Christian denominations attack him.

1. profile image0

There is absolutely nothing wrong in taking something on faith, I agree with you; however, there is a difference in seeking truth through science and study to disprove or prove something, and to understand something.

To intentionally leave the unlocked door closed because what you may find may be contrary to what you believe is in my opinion ignorant and naive.  We would still live in caves, and hunt with clubs if everybody followed that example.

1. profile image0

Peter and John were both called ignorant and unlearned, yet God revealed to them who Jesus is.

By the way, everyone knew they were ignorant also.

1. profile image0

I am not Christian, and as such believe that historically Jesus did exist, but was not the son of God.  I will openly admit that even if it is to my discredit.  However, a confirming of the status of a charismatic authority during the time the person existed, is very different then refusing to accept dated archaeological findings.

1. profile image0

Dated archaeological finds also point to a lot of objects that are described in the Bible. David, Jericho, Sodom and Gomorrah.

Ron Wyatt also found Chariot wheels in the Red Sea.

So which version of Jesus do you believe to be true?

1. profile image0

I believe that he was a person that existed.

I believe that he had a lot of wonderful things to say about equality, justice, and love.

I believe that he was not the son of God, a manifestation of God, God Himself or in any way divine.

I do not believe in prophets, I believe in intelligent people whose ideas are way ahead of their time, and they are exalted or crucified for it.

I believe he threatened the way of life of those with money and power, and that is why his life had an unfortunate end.

2. profile image51
              paarsurreyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi friends

Again a very sensible post from our friend crmhaske.

Thanks

3. aguasilver profile image71
              aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Caves and clubs sound good.... like, no credit cards to pay, no job to get to (just the mammoth hunt)and a mostly empty world (which you could try to populate as much as possible)where you could be as non PC as you wanted and never get the thought police set on you....

Sounds pretty good, and all my emails would be scratched on walls....

John

1. Obscure Divine profile image59
                Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, the simple life...  Without all of the political correctness crap & senseless laws.  ...We'd have total anarchy along with rampant rampaging sex acts without judicial order...and in return, we'd have murder-death-kills galore.  Ahh, the good ol' days back when caveman ruled over the dark land without the need for electricity.  It was a shorter life, but a solid, natural, earth-based one at that......oh no, a ferocious beast is heading my way!  Grab the club!  Awhhhh Sh*t!   Ha-ha! Fun-fun!  big_smile

2. Neferkaptah profile image58
            Neferkaptahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the Anthropomorphic language of the ancient Hebrews when  they say: That god told Prophet Moshe "No one can see my face, hide behind a rock and as I pass then, I will cover your face because no one can see my face and live and then, as I have passed then, I will remove my hand so you can see my back" then, this clearly shows and demonstrates that god is none other than the Anthropomorphic Sun, which no man can see face to face and live, but when the Sun is descending then, one can see it!

2. profile image51

Hi friend crmhaske

While I appreciate your informative post; I would say that there are things in the Genesis for which there just cannot be any human eye-witnesses; Moses or anybody else. For instance the creation of the Universe.

Can there be any human eye-witness? Any body please

Thanks

3. profile image0
          brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is possible that accounts go back that far but do they have a copy of the bibles account on a pillar or some tablets? NO. There is no where in egypt you can go to find the place of josephs writtings about his time there, etc.. since moses could write and he wrote the books following and the account of genesis, who else would god give this to.. adam and eve didn't exactly call a moving company to pack all their stuff.

I believe firmly moses penned Genesis and the other 4 books along after it. Notice, however, that the bible has a flow of speech to it. There is a pattern of language, a type of style that is prevalent in all the OT testament books. THATS BECAUSE GOD DICTATED THE BOOK. cool

1. Beelzedad profile image58
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe they did, "The Land of Nod Moving Company"

Their motto was "We move talking snakes and fig leaves" smile

4. profile image0
          klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are telling me that Adam knew how to write? I don't believe that the "first man" would have such high intellect as to come up with a witten languge himself.

1. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this
        5. profile image51

The Jews and the Christians believe that Adam was the first man "created"; could he write his autobiography?

2. Paul Wingert profile image61
        Paul Wingertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Genisis is a nice story along with countless other stories about the formation of the earth and living things. But to take these stories literially is totally rediculous and mentally laziness.

1. profile image0

Isn't it just as ridiculous, (according to your own logic), to take any writing by anyone other than yourself as being true no matter what it is? This means any and all science books are to be burned or thrown out.

It also means that any how to books are to be gotten rid of.

I think your logic needs a little work or are you too lazy mentally to fix it?

2. profile image51

Hi friend Paul Wingert

I agree with you.

Thanks

3. Neferkaptah profile image58

Paul Wingert, I agree with you in relation to the book of Bereishit, which the Romans got only the literal aspect of my relatives religious texts, but not what it meant to them beyond its literal presentation. The majority of people in this world believe in the Tanak "Hebrew Bible" literally as the "Word of god" when in truth there are three levels of understading, which are the dead-lettered literal understanding, the intellectual and the universal spiritual.

Bereishit, deals with the beginning of everything that was, is and will be and even the universal image of Elohim god has a begining and an end and everything in creation starts without form and appearance and then, takes form and appearance and everything originates from infinite mind/space and potential in a state of being in repose and then, action and god is not a person, but an infinite creating force having purpose and direction and being the collective of all spiritual beings, which is composed of living, creative, intellectual and perceptive life and light.

3. ceciliabeltran profile image65
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It may be Ezra the Scribe, but biblical scholars call him P for priestly.

2. acts38-39 profile image61
      acts38-39posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Who wrote Genesis?  Moses did wrote the Book of Genesis.
      He also wrote other Books of the Bible.

3. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nobody knows for sure who wrote Genesis and I doubt that anyone ever will smile

4. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Matthew McConaughey

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

"when I eat steak, I like to take my shirt off.."
        beef, its whats for dinner!

1. skyfire profile image79
          skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol well i accidentally stared at avatar ya know ...

5. profile image57
      patspnnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moses wrote it inspired by God

6. IntimatEvolution profile image69
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nobody knows.  It's story dates back over 8,000 years.  Long before Moses.  It was an oral story with archaeological bearing some 8,000 years old.  It is impossible at this day and age to really know who wrote the book of Genesis.  We will never know, until we find the original tablet, and I believe that will never happen.  First of all, how will we truly know that what we find, if we do find something, is the original?  We won't.

You've asked an answerable question.

7. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Uncle Dumus said that Elvis wrote the fricken stuff.

8. Paul Wingert profile image61
      Paul Wingertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whoever wrote Geneses (that and the Bible) had a wild imagination.

9. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim"

I don't understand why you have to tell everyone you are a Peaceful Muslim. I don't exactly why it bothers me so much, but it does. You dont have to explain yourself to anybody here on Hubpages. I don't want you to believe everyone here thinks like the few that let their hate for a few fester into a hate for a whole religion. But, if you want to, tell me more about the Ahmadi Muslim I would like to know more about you. Peace and love my Brother.

1. profile image51

Hi friend Friendlyword

There is alreadu a thread or two on this. You may however access the following link for knowing about Ahmadi Muslims:

http://www.alislam.org/

In short Ahmadis are in the centre of every Revealed faith or Religion. Every Revealed Religion has a Prophecy of an end time reformer; Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 is that reformer whom every one should believe for guidance in the Ethical, Moral and Spiritual realms.

Thanks

10. profile image0

Wasn't it Phil Collins?!

1. profile image51

I don't think so; does he claims to have written the book Genesis from the OTBible?

11. pylos26 profile image69
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was Willie Nelson,silly.

12. ceciliabeltran profile image65

Didn't you ask this question before?

No one knows.

2. Sab Oh profile image57
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

Phil Collins?

Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Phil Collins ripped off Peter Gabriel. smile

1. profile image0

oh, oops...missed this before..

2. profile image0

peter gabriel?

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
        ceciliabeltranposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! this would be so funny in person.

3. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh you poor sinner. May Gabriel have pitty on you !
      lol

4. thirdmillenium profile image60
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And, Peter Gabriel
      lol

3. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Genesis is the compilations of writings of many men. This is easily researched.

1. profile image0

How can it be easily researched?! None of us were alive back then. All we get are stories, suppositions, assumptions, of what happened. The texts that have survived were written thousands of years later. These texts were found in deteriorating conditons were all you could read were fragments. Then you have to go through the ordeal of translating these texts from their original ancient languages where a lot of the meaning gets lost. On top of it, these were texts written by human beings, not by God or by Christ. It is human nature to exagerate things and to add our own logic and opinions to whatever story we tell. So, how can anyone believe these texts as the ultimate truth?

1. Deaconess profile image59
        Deaconessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is easily researched because the Jewish spiritual teachers kept diaries of these things, and these diaries were passed on to their successors and so on. These are not just "supposition." The Old Testament is not the only written record of things... its just the only thing that Christians are normally exposed to.

1. profile image0

Diaries -  again, the writing of men.

2. profile image51

Hi friend  klarawieck

I agree with the above.

Thanks

4. ceciliabeltran profile image65
    ceciliabeltranposted 14 years ago

There are two Torahs, the Oral and Written. First account of Creation was written by P, code for a priestly guy, the rest of Genesis was by an unknown woman known as J.

Moses was the first teacher of the Oral Tradition, which is now known as the Tree of Life. The name Moses means, "from out of the water" but water (M) is also "consciousness". So his name means "from out of the consciousness" Some scholars believe that Moses is not a real name but a code for something the figure stands for.  Like he who is "out of consciousness". So he may have existed as a prince of Egypt but by another name. There is most likely candidate but I cannot find the name of this guy anymore in my library. I however recommend "Who wrote the bible by richard elliot friedman. The author is a bit of a snot-nosed dodo as a person but his work is pretty well written and easy to read.

It was Ezra who compiled them 500 BCE ago during his exile in Babylon.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it was Ezra

yes, ezra also changed the letters from pictograph to its present state.

Finally, someone who knows there human history influenced by thousands of years of esoteric wisdom versus exoteric religions dogma based on the oppression of the human spirit, essence, life and intellect.

Moshe, Moses, Moises and Musa is derived from the ancient Egyptian Mos, which was an epithet of A'afetrti Ankh-Aten born Amenhotep the 4th, the heretic of Egypt who tried to impose on Egypt the believe in one god without form or appearance and he was Semitic/Egyptian and King of Egypt and Israel and the rest of Egypt didn't like him because he was also Hebrew and no Hebrew could goverrn Egypt and her children.

5. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think Sega designed the Genesis. big_smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lawl

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

*snicker* time for lunch.

3. Buffoon profile image75
      Buffoonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you get the buffoon trophy of the day!

4. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile Ty.

6. Rishy Rich profile image71
    Rishy Richposted 14 years ago

http://thebackpew.com/backpew/images/moses_bath.jpg

1. Dense profile image60
      Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

1. Neferkaptah profile image58

it is not the parting of the Red Sea, but the Sea of Reeds.

2. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years ago

he was a gifted man

He was, some say he might be P

1. profile image0
          ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Esdras too

3. iantoPF profile image79
      iantoPFposted 14 years ago

just a couple of points;
      Reading Genesis even in translation it's obvious from the different styles and the sometimes contradictory nature of the statements that there was more than one author.
      Also there is no evidence that Moses ever existed outside of the Torah and it's translations, ie; the second to fifth books of the Bible. Certainly Egyptian history from that period has no record of the seven plagues, of the death of the firstborn or of a slave revolt with the army being destroyed while in pursuit. Moses is a figure from Hebrew mythology rather than historical fact.
      Some mention has been made of Jesus and his teachings. A conversation with any Rabbi will convince you that there was nothing unique in what he said. His doctrines were pure Pharisee. His story is notable for the fact that he was a failed insurrectionist who somehow became an Avatar of YHVH.
      Lastly I would like to point out that the notion of God being born as a man is common in the Vedic religions, Krishna was born and died many times for mankind. Greek Gods also fathered children with mortals who, after death, rose to the heavens to sit with their exalted parents.
      It's just mythology folks, that's all.

Ya, pretty much.

But I think Ezra had an intent in his arrangement of the books that are more sophisticated than the translations can portray.

Mythology though is not JUST. It's Mythology. Comparative mythology will show you that these themes are speaking of something very real to man and it recurs from culture to culture.

The name MOSES is a description of someone who is MOSES, from waters, from consciousness. There are scholars who are saying that he is known historically by his Egyptian name.

The significance of Moses is not be relegated as JUST mythology. Mythology is a big word.

I for one do not think that just because it may not be 100% historically accurate that it is in any way invalid.

3. profile image51

Hi friend iantoPF

I agree with you that there could be more than one authors of the Genesis while the source of the authors is also not known; it can't be Moses.

Thanks

4. Neferkaptah profile image58

Everything taught by Judean-Christianity you find it in the ancient religions of Egypt based on the motion, movement, path and existence of the heavenly worlds such as the Sun, the Moon, the planets, the ANdromeda galaxy, the Milky Way galaxy and the three kings who visited the virginal birth baby Jeshua Heru are none other than the three stars of the Orion the Hunter, which were personified as the 3 Sons of Noah, which are the 3 cultural nations, which paid tributes to Pharaonic Egypt.

Spiritual life, intellect and evolution is intertwine with the Universe and its primordial electromagnetic spaces.

4. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years ago

Ezra 7:
      Ezra held the Oral and Written Torah

Ezra was a Jew who held the Oral Tradition of the Torah. He was permitted to take several Israelites with him to Jerusalem.  When Ezra got to Jerusalem, he found that, even though it was against the Jewish laws,  even the Priests and Authority figures had intermarried with non-Hebrew women. Ezra made them all get rid of their wives. Then he made all the Hebrews sit down and he read the Torah scrolls (book of Moses) to them for half the day. As he and his men read the Torah, he explained it to them in detail so they could understand what he was reading.

They celebrated for about seven days then renewed their covenant with God, stating they would keep his commandments and Law.

Ezra wrote 24 books (the Hebrew Bible) for the public and another 70 unnamed works for the wise alone.

The Qur'an says:

And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
          —Qur'an, Sura At-Tawba

There is no Jewish literature or Jewish history where they make this claim. . Judaism does not hold the idea of any person being God, or a part of God, or a mediator to God, and no branch of Judaism makes Ezra a son of God.
      Just another lie cooked up to hate the the Hebrews.

1. profile image51

Hi friends

I would first to like to quote the verses from Quran to which our friend Deborah Sexton has made a reference:

[9:30] And the Jews say, Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say, the Messiah is the son of Allah; that is what they say with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before them. Allah’s curse be on them! How are they turned away!

[9:31] They have taken their learned men and their monks for lords beside Allah. And so have they taken the Messiah, son of Mary. And they were not commanded but to worship the One God. There is no God but He. Too Holy is He for what they associate with Him! [9:32] They desire to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths; but Allah will permit nothing except that He will perfect His light, though the disbelievers may dislike it.
        [9:33] He it is Who sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth, that He may make it prevail over every other religion, even though the idolaters may dislike it.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=25

I do agree that the present Jews don't believe that Ezra was a Son of God and that is why Quran has stated ;And they were not commanded but to worship the One God. There is no God but He. Too Holy is He for what they associate with Him!

This does not mean that some Jews might be living in Medina did not believe it. Had they not believed it? They would have objected to Muhammad in his life time and it would have made a good case against him; yet they never objected to it.

If Jews right in the time of Moses made a golden calph and worshipped it while Aaron was there; and as per Bible; it was Moses himself who ordered killing of 3000 people from the Jews before his very eyes; so the hatred started with Moses.

The point is that the possibility is very much there.

I would like that other learned friends here would enlighten us with their research including the Atheists friends.

I love Jesus and Mary as I do love Moses and his mother as per Quran.

Thanks

Well there were Aaron followers and Moses loyalists based on some texts if I recall. So i would take that with a grain of salt as these leanings were motivated by politics.

1. profile image51

Hi friend ceciliabeltran

Quran mentions, as I understand, that there were no political difference between Moses and Aaron; Aaron thought appropriate to wait form Moses to return and resolve the difference. Later Moses realized and understood Aaron's point of view and did not gave him any punishment to him.

Bible is wrong here to mention that Aaron was the person, if I understand it correctly, who patronized the making and worshipping of the Golden Calph. In that case it would have been wrong to kill 3000 Jews and spare his own brother; and then keep priesthood in his tribe.

Thanks

2. profile image0
          Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find this interesting..since you believe and follow everything that is written by man in your Bible..

1. profile image51

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

No; I don't.

Thanks

1. profile image0

I have nothing against you. You are very patient and seem very nice.
              However, I can't agree with everything you say just because you are a pleasant person.

It seems everything you have posted is anti-Jewish, anti-Christian etc. and pro your Bible. But everything I have found there teaches more about how everyone else is wrong..and you guys are right.

I don't see it as a real guide to know God.
              If I upset you, it is not what I wanted to do.

1. profile image51

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

No, I am not upset. I like if one differs with me with reason; but of course I would respond with reason.

Quran confirms in the passage I quoted your stance that Jews were commanded to believe in One-God; but when they deviated from it Quran mentions that also; like in making a golden calf which Moses did not like; if it is anti-semitism to kill a Jew; then Moses could be the first anti-semitic to kill 3000 Jews; and that the Jews won't acknowledge.

I am absolutely not against Jews of the present times.

The second point is that the OTBible mentions that Jews believed in son/s of God. If one searches the OTBible with the word son of God; there appear 68 entries full of it.

So the seeds of it are very much in the OTBible;and if some sect of the Jews in the time of Muhammad belived in Ezra as a son of god, it is understandable; if after when they migrated from Medina, they ceased believing it, that is another thing.

You are one of my favourite posters here; and I don't hesitate to acknowledge superiority of others on me on the first available opportunity since I have no claim to scholarship for me.

Please keep your natural style of posting and differing with reason.

Thanks

1. profile image0

The sons of God or Beni Elohim are the Angels..just meaning they were directly created by God through the spoken word.
                  There is so much misunderstanding.

1. profile image51

Hi friends

Direct creation does not make one a son or daughter of God; it is a wrong concept.

What is not a direct creation from YHWH in the Universe? There is none other than Him to create anything.

There are no sons or daughters to YHWH in literal terms.

Thanks

1. profile image0

The word was God..The Heavenly Hosts were spoken (word) into existence whereas mankind was created from the ground.
                      The Angels were spoken into existence before God laid the foundations of the world
                      See this in Job 38:4-7
                      "Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
                      When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"

After the fall all other people were born of man and not created by God. If something already exists and is born, it is not created.

I agree with you. It is an archetypal journey to achieve empowerment and to evolve in the image and likeness of an ideal.

3. Neferkaptah profile image58

Allah is the contraction of the Hebrew El "masculine" and Elah "feminine", which then, suggests that Allah is El-Elah, which simply means, that the Infinite is the cause of all the male and female principle of forms and levels of life from that which has neither form or appearance to the universes, worlds and dual humanity.

The title and term of "Son of God" was taught to the Hebrews by the ancient Egyptians whose gods and goddesses were neteroo the plural form of neter "masculine" and neteret "feminine" and who Egyptologists influenced by the Hebrew Bible has taught that Egypt war polytheism, but in truth the gods of Egypt are "Neither with form or appearance" and they are none other than the immeasurable laws of functional attributes contained and produced by the Infinite, which in turn has neither form or appearance, but it is human nature to personified the laws of the Infinite in human form and the animal form or appearance is a symbol of an attribute or an action.

5. iantoPF profile image79
      iantoPFposted 14 years ago

Cecilia;
      You are absolutely correct and I apologise for the word JUST. Mythology of any culture is more than that. My Hubs will show that I take the tales and legends of many cultures, especially my own, very seriously. In the days when few could read or write how were they to be taught? stories songs and poetry with lessons within them was the way deep concepts were transmitted.
      Some time ago I wrote a Hub on Genesis but I've also written extensively, here and elsewhere, on Welsh mythology. The word JUST was used as a counterpoint to those who consider the Bible to be an accurate historocal record that cannot be challenged. I apologize again, my JUST was just "just"
      I repeat though, there is no independently verified historical evidence of the existence of the physical character, Moshe, or of the occurrences surrounding the Biblical narrative.

point taken, no need to apologize. smile Moses is a name assigned to his significance in the journey of the Jews out of Egypt which is a metaphor for finally penetrating the meaning of the symbols of Egyptian belief. That we are subects of the forces of nature. They have finally translated it to Empowerment instead of just relying on the forces to "favor" them. The Jews attained this human mastery, and the Torah is a metaphor for that journey. (and if I may add, among other things)

1. profile image51

Hi friend ceciliabeltran

I am much impressed by your knowledge. You write very useful posts.

Thanks and regards

Why Thanks! Nice to be appreciated. smile

6. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

I smell a rat and its talking to a psycho, sorry I meant psyhic.big_smile

lol I wish I was drunk, because then this would be funnier.

7. profile image0

The Qur'an says:

And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
          —Qur'an, Sura At-Tawba

There is no Jewish literature or Jewish history where they make this claim. . Judaism does not hold the idea of any person being God, or a part of God, or a mediator to God, and no branch of Judaism makes Ezra a son of God.

8. profile image57
      Innocent12345posted 14 years ago
      1. profile image51

Hi friend Innocent12345

Did Moses claim to have written Genesis?

An author always, I think, claimes authoring a book; does not remain it anonymous. Was Moses embarrassed, I ask refuge from God, to  have written Genesis that he kept others guessing of the writer.

Moses was an authoritative person; if he had written it, he would have let others know of it.

Thanks

In the olden days, they say written by somebody but what they mean is originated by or first taught it.

The "chosen" concept was introduced by Ezra. He did many things to rally the Jewish people together. He changed the letters and so obliterating any Egyptian connection, he had women say goodbye to their non-jewish wives. If you're going to blame anyone, blame him. But Ezra was a great man. And afterall, they just want to protect their heritage, just like you do.

1. profile image51

Hi friend eciliabeltran

I respect Ezra and his services to revive the scriptures; yet it is important to know the sources. It is not wrong to esquire about the sources. I think I did not blame Ezra for anything.

Thanks

well, it was a figure of speech. he is the source of the Jewish closing. i read the posts and it was about where did the exclusivity begin...at the time of Ezra would be the historical source of that.

you asked who wrote genesis. the answer I gave you is P, probably ezra. are you satisfied with this answer?

1. profile image51

Hi friend ceciliabeltran

I think there is no probability that Ezra should have written it. Ezra only rewrote the scriptures that have been burnt, as I understand, from his memory. He did not claim to author it.

Thanks

the writing of the oral tradition is pretty much authorship. so did he originate it, no. he interpreted it definitely. he added his little constructions to it.

1. profile image51

Hi friend ceciliabeltran

To reproduce a thing already existing is not authorship; author is the original writer.

Thanks

9. profile image0

Paarsurrey...Here
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40742?page=3#post949764

You state:
      "so the hatred started with Moses"

This isn't true.
      Insecurity, jealousy and murder began with Cain..not Moses.
      Moses brought the law to give people a guideline to better their lives.
      However, when the law came it showed people just how wicked they were.

1. profile image51

Hi friend Deborah Sexton

I don't believe that Moses killed 3000 Jews or Muhammad killed 300 hundred Jews; it is the hate mongers who have spread such things; since it is mentioned in the OTBible I mentioned sort of a quotation from it.

Moses , Krishna and Muhammad were Princes of Peace in reality; but people don't understand it.

God's Messengers Prophets come to spread love and peace; the politicians entagle them in such things temporaritly though

Thanks

Cain and Abel is basically the principle of good and evil, it is Ausar and Seth "Osiris and Set", it is order and chaos, Ankh-Aten killed an Egyptian because the Egyptian knew that he was Semitic Egyptian.

The literal killing of Abel is the mudane confrontation of the two groups of Sumer who one were herdsmen and the others tended to agriculture and when they clashed then, blood was spilled.

All scriptures in the Torat and Tanak are based on an observation of terrestrial events and the religious believes of other people, civilizations and cultures more complex than that of the Semitic Hebrews.

10. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 14 years ago

Who wrote Genesis?

11. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

A few old goat herders. smile

1. Dense profile image60
        Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aye! smile

12. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

hebrew and arabic are very similar...yom is yom, layla is layla and so on and so forth.

13. ceciliabeltran profile image65
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

as for where it came from, well these stories have been going around for a while. so nobody really knows. Moses is a name that says "from out of the consciousness" so, for all we know its not his name. Or he could be metaphorical.

14. optimus grimlock profile image61
      optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

sega!

15. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

I say Moses inspired by God.......  AM i correct.

1. profile image51

Hi Joy56

If Moses had written it or authored it, then he should have mentioned this in it. Inspiration is no source of authoring something; the source should have existed before Moses for him to make use of.

Thanks

2. IntimatEvolution profile image69
        IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi.  Just to let you know; they have dated Moses exodus from Egypt around 1569 bc.  History tells us the story of Genesis is over 8,000 years old.  So Moses in no way could have been the original author.

16. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

well he was writing for god, under inspiration, and since most of us know that he wrote it, it has to be written in their somewhere that he did.  I am not free to look this up at the moment, but will come back to this another time

Or, not written under inspiration, but instead, aspiration. smile

17. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

crmhaske wrote:

In the second view it is said that Moses is not Genesis' author, but instead compiled the written eye-witness accounts of those mentioned in Genesis.  Tablets have been found as far back as 3500 BC, and if you go by the dates in the Bible this makes it possible that Adam, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, and Joseph or someone related to them recorded their autobiographies, that Moses then later compiled into the Book of Genesis

Paarsurrey says:

We cannot agree with this theory for reasons. For instance we take the first chapter of Genesis:

[1] In the beginning God created heaven, and earth. [2] And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters. [3] And God said: Be light made. And light was made. [4] And God saw the light that it was good; and he divided the light from the darkness. [5] And he called the light Day, and the darkness Night; and there was evening and morning one day.
      [6] And God said: Let there be a firmament made amidst the waters: and let it divide the waters from the waters. [7] And God made a firmament, and divided the waters that were under the firmament, from those that were above the firmament, and it was so. [8] And God called the firmament, Heaven; and the evening and morning were the second day. [9] God also said: Let the waters that are under the heaven, be gathered together into one place: and let the dry land appear. And it was so done. [10] And God called the dry land, Earth; and the gathering together of the waters, he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.
      [11] And he said: Let the earth bring forth the green herb, and such as may seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after its kind, which may have seed in itself upon the earth. And it was so done. [12] And the earth brought forth the green herb, and such as yieldeth seed according to its kind, and the tree that beareth fruit, having seed each one according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. [13] And the evening and the morning were the third day. [14] And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years: [15] To shine in the firmament of heaven, and to give light upon the earth. And it was so done.
      [16] And God made two great lights: a greater light to rule the day; and a lesser light to rule the night: and the stars. [17] And he set them in the firmament of heaven to shine upon the earth. [18] And to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light and the darkness. And God saw that it was good. [19] And the evening and morning were the fourth day. [20] God also said: Let the waters bring forth the creeping creature having life, and the fowl that may fly over the earth under the firmament of heaven.
      [21] And God created the great whales, and every living and moving creature, which the waters brought forth, according to their kinds, and every winged fowl according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. [22] And he blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the waters of the sea: and let the birds be multiplied upon the earth. [23] And the evening and morning were the fifth day. [24] And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds. And it was so done. [25] And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and cattle, and every thing that creepeth on the earth after its kind. And God saw that it was good.
      [26] And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth. [27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them. [28] And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth. [29] And God said: Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed upon the earth, and all trees that have in themselves seed of their own kind, to be your meat: [30] And to all beasts of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to all that move upon the earth, and wherein there is life, that they may have to feed upon. And it was so done.
      [31] And God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good. And the evening and morning were the sixth day.
      http://www.drbo.org/chapter/01001.htm

Who could have witnessed what happened at the creation of the Universe? Who could have witnessed what happened to Adam and Eve?
      Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Joseph and Moses could have not witnessed them also. Similarly the events mentioned up to chapter 10 of the Geneses.

By inspiration one cannot write things existed before or witness them. The truthful men like Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Joseph and Moses could not write things out of guesswork or imagination and then say that they witnessed them. The entire character of these great men would become doubtful and instead of being truthful men as they were; they would be considered making up things themselves.

Thanks

18. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

Jesus in his heavenly form was there all along, he witnessed it.

I could write an account of something that is happening miles away from me, if i saw it on t.v. or someone told it to me.

Do you doubt that if god could create the universe, he could not communicate with Moses, to record it for us.  In fact we have proof Moses had tablets with words written on from god do we not.

I am not an argumentitive person, i do like to debate, and say how i feel about things.  I have faith in god and his word the bible, and confidence he can do anything.

He can't seem to communicate with anyone other than in secret, alone and away from everyone else. 

No, we don't. smile

Anything? Why can't he show himself to the world? Is that asking to much? smile

1. profile image49
          Anicholposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think yes you ask to much.
          He has given plenty of evidence of his existence and plans for the future.
          Perhaps you may think we humans deserve his full attention but a flick through the history books or maybe the news shows the only thing we deserve is to be exterminated.
          What distruction and suffering we have caused. Man appears to have no plan but to destroy the world and step on anyone who gets in his way.

Does a father find more enjoyment  when his children freely express there love for him or when he forces them to?

When God says in genesis “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness" he is refering to qualities such as free will.

You have free will just as adam and eve did and they chose to disobey God and as a result he withdrew from them taking his life force with him.

He has nothing to prove to anyone that he hasnt already proven.

Psalms 34: 8
          Taste and see that Jehovah is good, O YOU people;
          Happy is the able-bodied man that takes refuge in him.

How does our current system taste?

Where? I see books written by men but none by gods. Where are these plans?

Considering our societies have been steeped in religious mindset for thousands of years, we probably don't have to exterminate mankind, but instead the false ideologies that causes men to do such things.

A father actually shows himself to his children and does not hide away. There is no love to give for an invisible father who is never there or has ever been seen by his children.

A "real" father would never do that if he offered free will. He would love his children unconditionally, no matter what. Big difference between your god and real fathers, don't ya think? wink

He has proven nothing at all.

Those words were written by men, not gods. smile

2. alternate poet profile image67
        alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi

I have a bit of an issue with the tablets - this was supposed to be in the time of the Pharaohs and written script was in hieroglyphics - not capable of such complexity as thous shalt not whatever.  I could of course be wrong but hey -

1. Joy56 profile image67
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

if god wrote it, he would hve made sure Moses could understand for sure.

3. profile image51

Hi friend  Joy56

I think it is not possible. The question is who wrote or authored Genesis. Jesus could not have authored it obviously; neither Jesus nor his mother Mary had born at that time.

If we take supposedly your immpossible supposition or your wild imagination; then to whom he did inspire to write it or author it?And what original language was it written?

Thanks

19. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

if you are talking to me, i do not understand the question sorry.

The question is simple, why can't your god show himself to the world if he can do anything?

1. Joy56 profile image67
          Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

he is not only my god, he is yours too,and he will believe me.

2. profile image49

He has shown himself through the scriptures.

Hebrews 4: 12
          For the word of God is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints and [their] marrow, and [is] able to discern thoughts and intentions of [the] heart.

Anyone who reads the bible with an open heart see's the one who inspired it is the author.

"Showing" means to physically see him, not to read words written by men. There are many scriptures with many different versions of god.

I only see men steeped in myths as the authors. Sorry. smile

1. profile image49

Maybe a day trip into the country side or a view at  the stars at night may reveal him to you.

I, along with tens of thousands of other amateur astronomers look at the night sky all the time. Nada. Zilch. smile

1. profile image49

I guess we can only see what our conscience allows.

We see with our eyes, not with our conscience. smile

20. profile image0
      Over The Hillposted 13 years ago

Why don`t you stop posting all these ignorant questions and go get a job managing a 7-11 or a motel?

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
        the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well...i think someone needs a nappy poo.

21. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years ago

Moses Wrote what seems to be an abridged account. Never the less inspired by God.

1. profile image51

Hi friend Onusonus

First you shall have prove that it was written by Moses; then the question of inspiration to Moses should be thought of.

Thanks

22. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Phil Collins?

Peter Gabriel. smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plus Genesis II otherwise known as The book of Mike and the Mechanics.

So true. I always got the impression that Phil Collins totally ripped off Peter Gabriels style of song writing and singing when he took over Genesis. Of course, he was nowhere near as talented as Gabriel, imo. wink

Heretic!!

Blasphemer!!

mad

Oh oh, I take it you're a Phil Collins fan? big_smile

Not by choice, but who am I to argue with the holy scriptures?

23. pisean282311 profile image62
      pisean282311posted 13 years ago

Genesis?..what is that?...heard about bible ..is genesis part of bible?

1. profile image51

It is first book of Bible, the Old Testament.

Thanks

24. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Who wrote Genesis?

1. skipper112 profile image59
        skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

paar you are so worried about the Bible, why not ask who wrote the Quran?

after all you always say you are a peacefull muslim, are you really a Muslim ?????

1. profile image51

The Creator-God Allah YHWH authored Quran.

[15:10] Verily, We Ourself have sent down this Exhortation*, and most surely We will be its Guardian.
          http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … .php?ch=15

*Quran

25. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Who wrote Genesis?

Phil Collins originally! roll

26. J.R. Smith profile image59
      J.R. Smithposted 13 years ago

It would have been Moses,wouldn't it?

1. profile image51

Moses never claimed to have written Genesis? Did he?

1. J.R. Smith profile image59
          J.R. Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

not sure if he claimed it or not. He likely would not have anyway.

2. J.R. Smith profile image59

Moses authorship is supported by the samaritan Pentateuch,the palistinian Talmud, the apocrypha,the writings of philo,Jewish and Christian Scholars of World Reknown. There is no valid reason to doubt his authorship.

1. profile image51

Why should Moses be hesitant to claim having written it? What was his source of writing it?

Why would he claim it? He believed it to be the word of God. He wouldn't need to claim it.

1. profile image51

Please quote Moses' words that he believed Genesis was word of the Creator-God Allah YHWH.

you're not familiar with the burning bush or Mt Sinai?

1. profile image51

Burning Bush is not mentioned in Genesis, I think. Please quote from Genesis for it.

Much of the bible is revealed after the event. Having read it, you know this already. There are lots of places and events that you discover more about in the latter books. You're a scholar, surely you've read it, you must have noticed.

Why would you refute it anyway? Do you have a different theory that will hold up? If so, you are the intellectual equal to some of the finest christian and jewish experts on the planet.

It's in Exodus

Genesis is made up of two separate books.

One by P and another by J

1. profile image0
                  Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hullo Stranger.

Technically, The Torah, aka original Tanakh (Islam calls it Tawrat) was written collectively by many authors. The "first five" are said to have been written during the after sojourning in the desert, after the Tent of Meeting (Tabernacle) was built to house the Ark of Covenant. Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy show later historical records, which can indicate they were written in Davids time. Even more is The Mishnah was handed down from Moses & Aaron ( the orated law ) and accepted unanimously by all the tribes.

Of all the tribes, Ben Yamin would have been best suited for scribing which is scary, since it was from this tribe that the worst pagan-Judaic system, Ba`al, stemmed.

But they were diligent gypsies...

Yes, but as Friedman (the insecure megalomaniac that he is, don't like him much even if he is publisher's weekly book of the year) said that the first book, my personal favorite, the seven days of creation was written much later than the fall of adam. This book actually begins the tanakh. It is very much speculated that a girl wrote it in the same modern prose you expect to read in modern times.

the seven days of creation however has a very very different flavor. I had this conversation before with someone with the same conclusion...it was none other than dear EZRA who systematically used the old creation myth that preexisted Judaic literature to convey the dogma of the shekina. But ofcourse that is just all ya looks like it, must be talk. Nothing is proven.

For now they are just P for priestly and J for Just guess.

And when did you start wearing the fatsuit?

Also, there is very recent archeological finds that David is a much older monarch than originally believed. It was in the news just this year.

I will read up on Ben Yamin (isn't that Son of Yamin)

2. profile image51

Please elaborate

Please read:

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/genesis_texts.html

it's standard biblical history knowledge...basic stuff you can get in any academic textbook.

1. profile image51

So Moses did not author Genesis. It does not consist of Word from the Creator-God Allah YHWH also.

Thanks for providing the link.

27. skipper112 profile image59
      skipper112posted 13 years ago

paar as a non Christian, why is 'who wrote Genisis' so inportant, when you only follow the Quran. It is like me questioning the Quran?
      Paar worry about your Religion first, if you wish to Convert I can help you, if not don't worry your self about our Bible ok.
      May the Lord Jesus Christ Bless you.

oh, the koran has the same set of books as the the old testament. It is equally important to him as it is to us.

1. skipper112 profile image59
          skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ok I accept that the Quran might have copied the OT, then who wrote the Quran?

2. profile image51

I don't get you; please elaborate if further.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)