ever hear of lulu.com

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. gwendymom profile image66
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

Has anyone heard of lulu.com?
    If they have what do you think about it?
    I came across it in an article in Entertainment weekly. I went to check it out and I am not sure what to think about it. If anyone has ever used this site or their services I would really appreciate your viewpoint of it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I interviewed a couple of Lulu.com authors on my blog recently:

http://selfpublishing.today.com/authors/

As you'll see if you read the rest of the blog, I have serious reservations about the idea of self-publishing - but if you're going to self-publish, Lulu.com is one of the most honest players out there.

1. Benson Yeung profile image65
        Benson Yeungposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm keen to explore the possiblity of publishing kindle version books. The book-reader will be much talk-about in the coming few months. New owners are going to need loads more new kindle version books. Amazon.com forum has got full details of how to go about publishing kindle version books. It sounds pretty easy though.

regards,

2. ilovehubbing profile image61
        ilovehubbingposted 15 years agoin reply to this

www.createspace.com is cheaper and seems to offer the same services if you want a physical book or try Amazon Kindle™ to create an ebook. I have not used either myself.
        What are your reservations with self publishing?

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I can't answer for others, but as a book reviewer, I find that come self-publishing companies have sent me high percentages of poorly written work. This includes large amounts of incorrect grammar that is not meant to indicate a regional or ethnic dialect, many mispellings, poor thought organization and layout, incorrect historical, medcial, and psychological information, and other probrlems. The BOOKSURGE system is one of the better ones I've found so far in my work.

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82
            Ben Zoltakposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this Patty.

I am considering creating a book of all of my oil paintings, poems and maybe a few other things. My first inclination was createspace or kindle on Amazon, I will check out booksurge to see what they are about.

Kindly,

Ben Zoltak

1. Ben Zoltak profile image82
              Ben Zoltakposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oops, looks like booksurge is now createspace, I wonder if you still advocate createspace

3. Aya Katz profile image83
        Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,I tried to follow your URL but got a dead end.

What are your serious reservations about self-publishing?

1. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Aya Katz,

Here is the new link:

http://selfpublishing.blogdog.com/category/authors/

(Today.com blogs are moved to blogdog.com. )

1. Aya Katz profile image83
            Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Skyfire!

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am on lulu.com. I don't have much there but it seems to be a great place to sell your writing. E-books are probably the best sellers there. I have a song that I wrote and had recorded uploaded there and it is downloadable for free. I also have a few poems for sell there, but haven't sold any. Of course, I haven't tried to advertise.

If you want, I can give you a link to download my song.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think that would be nice. Also, to know how many Hubbers are on lulu.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

I made a Hub request about it ages ago and no answers. So I still don't know. smile

3. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I've heard about for them for self-publishing of ebooks, I think.  Don't know anyone who has used them, though.

4. gwendymom profile image66
    gwendymomposted 15 years ago

Thanks for answering guys. Marisa I will go read your hub. I was really just curious about it and wondered if anyone here has used it and with what results.

5. kbdunn profile image59
    kbdunnposted 15 years ago

never heard of lulu but sounds interesting. thanks for the hub.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

A good place to get backlink from smile

7. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I have always had an aversion to self-publishing, for some reason or other.  If I write a book, I want a professional publisher to handle it for me, including the sales, marketing and promotion.  I know that some people don't mind doing that for themselves, but I'd rather having someone with experience doing it.

1. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree - I've only been involved in two books, (co-authors, both legal practioners' books) and I wouldn't want to self-publish.

8. profile image0
    SirDentposted 15 years ago

http://www.lulu.com/content/2254636 is the song download page.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Jesus-Is is the hub where the words are published.

9. Elena. profile image83
    Elena.posted 15 years ago

I can only speak about lulu.com as a customer --- I see two advantages to it:

1. Plenty of ebooks at great price
    2. Plenty of "indie" authors that are great but not easy to find elsewhere (more mainstream)

10. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

This might sound a little regressive (but it's not) but I'm not so sure about this Kindle thing and books... 

Books are an age old beautiful art form and so perfect a one, I'd hate to see them go, sad.  I actually learned how to bind books in art school and found out large libraries actually employ people to care for books like that.

Let 'em take newspapers!  Not books.

Self publishing may be a good option for some--depends on your goal.  Nothing validates an author like a traditional print publication first, I think, though.  I believe there are also self-publishers out there that publish print, as well.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Lita, about books. 

Think I would cry if they became defunct.  My books are my pride and joy, I love the look, smell and feel of them.  Nothing beats curling up with a good one.

11. Elena. profile image83
    Elena.posted 15 years ago

Well, I agree with you two, Lita and Shirley, nothing quite replaces the feel of a book in one's hands, I love mine vdearly, but ebooks do have some advantages: saving space if one doesn't have too much of it, and saving money... that may be of special interest nowadays.  Oh well, as a customer I find lulu.com user-friendly and well serviced with a good variety of authors.

12. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 15 years ago

http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/12/30/opus/story.jpg

http://www.salon.com/comics/opus/2007/1 … /story.jpg
    for the whole strip - can't get it all on here.

13. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

I have heard of Lulu.com and there are writers here who have published through that co.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Lulu creates books, it is okay to get a few copies in hand.  The system is a bit clunky and the products a bit expensive, but it is easy to use and cheap.  A good option for a boutique product with a niche audience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)