This question is not 100% hypothetical

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)
  1. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

The hypothetical part:

Say HP were cheesed off enough to think 'The religion sub-forum takes up too much valuable staff time, it's got to go'

The non-hypothetical part:

You spend most if not all of your time in the above forum, warring with words etc etc. You may (or may not) have written a few hubs. You may or may not read and rate hubs. But - the main body of your contribution to HubPages is your forum posts.

What will you then do?

2. aka-dj profile image67
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

I doubt that your (hypothetical) scenario will happen.
    Mainly, if you look at the no of topics and posts that are
    contained in the said forum, you'll quickly notice, it has a greater
    contribution rate by a factor o ten/100, over others.
    It keeps people active on HP.

I'm sure publishing hubs is far more a focus and priority for HP staff,
    but I think the R forum makes them smile! (re members being logged in
    and contributing to HP popularity etc)

That's my thoughts on it, anyway.

As for what I would do?
    Probably be more involved elsewhere, within HP, and without. hmm

3. libby101a profile image61
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I'm sure that would be just horrible for some people! However, some religious folk write hubs and rate other hubs and actually have brains! Some write a few religious hubs but many, many other hubs related to health, science, love, and life that has nothing to do with religion!

Hard to believe isn't it?

LOL!

4. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

Interesting smile

Maybe the hypothetical answer would be:

People will continue to spend time warring with words, spouting off about religion - but since there is no more R forum, the posts start to appear in places they don't belong... like the hubber's hangout for instance...

1. Kidgas profile image62
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would be bad.

5. frogdropping profile image77

@ aka - you look an all round contributor smile 

@ libby - I meant those who don't do much of anything other than forum posts.

@ wyanjen - I doubt that would be allowed as the HP staff do a good job of separation topics found in the wrong place.

@ kidgas - likely smile

And I haven't pointed this at religious hubbers, only the sub-forum.

1. wyanjen profile image71
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure - they do a great job keeping topics in the right places.
      I'm thinking more about individual posts though, not so much entire threads. For a time there, somebody was throwing anti-Obama posts in the most bizarre places... completely out of context and off-topic.

The phrase that comes to mind is "You can only hope to contain it." lol lol Without a religion sub forum, the other topics would maybe need extra moderation so they don't hijacked.

frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*nods* True, true. Like I said, the hypothetical part was the removal. I don't expect it to happen. I don't even bother with it over much.

I asked the question in relation to the fact that so many people dislike it. Then mused further ... on the fact that some folks spend most of their time in it, rather than distributing their time indulging in a team-player ethic across the site.

But anyone that does use it as their main source of productivity on-site has yet to answer.

1. wyanjen profile image71
          wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol
          I noticed that too

6. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Perhaps a forum filter is warranted? I mean, a switch to flip so we only see posts in the forums that we want to participate in in our hubtivity feed?

Or is there already one of those?

I imagine I'd not get sucked into silly religious discussions if I could flip a switch and not see posts that are so astonishingly appalling that I feel a deep-seated need to let the world know that no, not all Christians buy into that madness.

Of course, I should be disciplined enough not to rassle with proverbial pigs, but a switch would make it easier to stay on the wagon. smile

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If you eliminate any of the forums on religion, then it will spill over into other forum threads.

Religion has influence in too many topics as it is now. Some people use their religious beliefs to support politicians and if  the politicians are not of the right "faith", then they will not vote for them, even if it's the lessor of two evils.

Religion has a great affect on people, and it's becoming increasingly dangerous as it is. At least if the religious folks are on the forums, then they are not outside in public doing more damage.

Keep the forums the way they are. I would prefer HP staff define or list, what type of comments are deemed as insults. If it is left as is now, then the ambiguity level and subjective nature of insults, will no doubtedly get out of control.

Just a thought. smile

Cags - I wasn't asking if anyone wanted it removing. I was asking what those that use it almost exclusively would do if it wasn't there.

I still agree with your point about it spilling over though smile

2. Castlepaloma profile image74
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil

Agree

Too many other forums out there are one-sided and crush many other peoples wide range viewpoints

8. frogdropping profile image77

Um ... just to clarify guys - I am not asking if the religion sub-forum should be removed.

I am asking those that use it the most - as their means of site participation - what they would then do in terms of contributing to the site as an alternative way of utilizing their time.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Religion would still be talked about in other forum threads. Therefore, I conclude my usage would not change.

Is that better Froggy? tongue

No Cags because you know that you are a team player across the site. You may well have an incredibly high forum post count - but you have in excess of 100 hubs, you help out when someone needs it, you read, comment and rate.

Your site participation is not predominantly about the sub-forum.

Geddit? smile

Listen - I enjoy HubPages. I know well the difference that joining the site has made to my life. I can just about afford to run my first home in well over two years. This is because I found a site that has enabled me to earn extra money.

This is a site that wasn't built upon the backs of users doing little or nothing other than row in the forums. Back then, the forum was so much less than it is now.

It was built on the backs of hubbers such as relache, Darkside, Mark Knowles, Hal Lacino, Misha, Patty Inglish, Pamela Grundy and so many more.

Their diligence, their ability to write well crafted hubs, to use the site, grow and develop with it, coupled with the HP teams dogged efforts to constantly adjust, tweak and overhaul the site as a means of supporting their writers, their users, is what made Hubpages the site it is today.

It's called team-work. And Hubpages is a place that I work - albeit under my own motivation. I was questioning if they'd then contribute their time better - not you smile

9. Origin profile image61
    Originposted 13 years ago

I would like HP to let us have a 'filter' option on our account, so we can choose to not follow certain forum topics. That would be great!

10. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I rarely come here, it has been a den of argument!
    Basically you're saying I think that HP won't remove it cause the discussion or arguments rather keep things going!! how sad!!
    Hmmmmmmmm

It's a place I don't need to go really.
    I don't have questions about my Faith.
    I only respond to ridicuouls absurb things
    that seem to be hard to ignore. It's like
    a festation or disease that wants to like a virus
    infect everyone.

Go to the forums to socialize and chat and find this "scum" these barassive (is that a word?) comments, these fights, so pointless yet sometimes unavoidable.

It's like tempting people with cigarette ads..........
    HP is leading us to toxins and we are becoming toxic waste!!!!

??

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)