Do You Think America is Democratic country?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (51 posts)
  1. profile image0
    rakubaposted 13 years ago

Why do you think so?

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
      Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It all depends what you mean by democratic. America gives the impression of democracy, but it is just an illusive "democracy" at best.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...we are a "republic."
      We are not a "democracy."
      "I pledge allegiance...and to the republic for which it stands."
      There is a great deal of difference between a "republic" and a democracy."
      Study.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are correct, but the Country is being fundamentally changed!

It starts by teaching democracy in the schools and not explaining the truth of the Republic.

1. qwark profile image59

Reality:
          We do give lip service to being a democracy.
          I school, when I was young, I was told we are a democracy, yet we stood and mouthed the "Pledge of Allegiance" which clearly announces that we are a republic! WE were young and dumb...you know how that goes...lol
          Most folks don't know the difference 'twixt the 2. I end up explaining that difference because even after reading their definitions, most still do not understand...arghhh..
          WE will never become a democracy...no chance!

3. Christopher Floyd profile image62
      Christopher Floydposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The United States of America is a democratic republic, both by definition and in practice. I think so because my country was founded with this in mind; democracies degrade into mob rule and republics become monarchies. That's why the U.S. was and is such a novel experiment. Most people swallow what they were taught without looking into it for themselves. We aren't a democracy. We will never be a democracy. Nor will we ever be a republic. We hold strong democratic values - and I don't mean the values of a political party - but we also know that the mob has to be held in check as much as the monarch.
      It saddens me that so many people lament our "lack of democracy" but can't quite grasp the fact that a middle road and an impossible to violate balance of power was the plan all along.

1. qwark profile image59

Chris:
        Yes! we are a "Democratic  Republic." A "novelty" on this planet of "fools."

4. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you think its not? If not, why not?

5. ediggity profile image62
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, we are a Constitutional Republic.  Here is a 10 min video that explains the true American form of Government:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/CSC130/videos/25/

2. jjmyles profile image64
    jjmylesposted 13 years ago

We have a Constitutional Federation. Not a democracy

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A Constitutional Republic.

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't confuse them.

2. Petra Vlah profile image60

The form of government is a Republic, but America keeps on talking about democracy in terms of democratic principles and even wants to export them without implementing such princeples at home first - that I call hypocrisy

1. profile image0
          rakubaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The forms in which US exports its "democracy" are revolts masteminded by CIA, support corrupted regimes, lies from sponsored media and  NGO, destruction of whole countries. No law would allow them to implement such "democracy" in America. Any revolt which America calls democratic outside US, would be severely suppresed in US, for sure. Would Tiananmen89-like event happen in US, the US govt would kill them all. Would any american state ask for independency as Kosovo or Tibet, there would be war and forget about "democracy" and any rights for independency.

YOU SAID IT: that's exactly what American democracy is all about - hypocrisy at its best

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64

Petra, can you think of any countries which have a better government?

The one she fled is probably wonderful.

No doubt. That's why she left.

2. Petra Vlah profile image60

Ralph,
                there are plenty of countries with better government

Jim,
                I left my contry fighting the communist regime, and yes, Romania is beautiful in case you did not know

For example? I might agree with you. But I'm curious which ones you think are better.

2. Jim Hunter profile image61

Romania is not a government in case you didn't know.

Jim, you don't have to play ignorant and even less should you play cute

3. profile image0
                  rakubaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As far as my experience allows to say that, I do believe, that true democracy is in Japan.

And all of the Sacandinavian countries for that matter, but hey, Americans have a hard time accepting they are not the best at everything so let them dream on about "the land of the free"

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

My recollection is that there have been several government scandals in Japan. And the U.S. deserves some credit, good or bad, for "assisting" in the establishment of the post-war Japanese government.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

The "Independent" Campaign Contributors aren't so independent.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor … h-20101031

4. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Maybe you should leave Jim. Go write a hub or do something productive for a change

Don't forget Bawny Fwank.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image64

By world standards we're considered a democratic country. Whether we are a Democracy or a Republic can be debated all night. Not worth the trouble.

1. qwark profile image59

...by defintion, we are a republic.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who cares about world standards?

We are a Republic!

3. Jeff Berndt profile image72

No, Ralph, it's really not a point of debate. If we were a democracy (which seems to be what the Tea Party movement wants, to listen to some of the "why didn't we get to vote on [issue]" rhetoric) there'd be a nationwide referendum on every decision and nothing would ever get done.

We're a constitutional republic. Our representatives are elected democratically, yes, but our form of government is that of a constitutional republic.

And don't mess with us, or we'll bring democracy to your country.

and bringing democracy to this country would really be a shame, Jeff, right?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72

I was making a joke about our blunder into Iraq, but, well, yeah. True democracy worked fine for Athens, since there were only a few hundred people who were allowed to vote and they all lived within walking distance of the agora.

But it wouldn't work in a continent-spanning country of over 300 million people; the cost (in dollars, resources, and time away from productive work) of holding an election every time the country needs to make a policy decision is prohibitive. That's why some kind of representative government is needed. I like our constitutional republic, but a parliamentary version would be fine too.

Your point is taken, though. I'd like it a lot better if we were more democratic and less plutocratic in practice.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

That distinction stikes me as pedantry. The U.S. in common parlance all around the world is a democracy. Your definition is unreasonably narrow. There are many variations of democracies. Allowing everyone to vote on every issue would be completely impractical. By that definition there are no democracies, except in small towns in rural Kansas.

Modern Definition of Democracy
        In order to deserve the label modern democracy, a country needs to fulfill some basic requirements - and they need not only be written down in it's constitution but must be kept up in everyday life by politicians and authorities:

* Guarantee of basic Human Rights to every individual person vis-à-vis the state and its authorities as well as vis-à-vis any social groups (especially religious institutions) and vis-à-vis other persons.
            * Separation of Powers between the institutions of the state:
              Government [Executive Power],
              Parliament [Legislative Power] und
              Courts of Law [Judicative Power]
            * Freedom of opinion, speech, press and massmedia
            * Religious liberty
            * General and equal right to vote (one person, one vote)
            * Good Governance (focus on public interest and absence of corruption)

6. csmcmanus profile image60
    csmcmanusposted 13 years ago

This country is not really democratic. It is ran by special interest organizations. There is a saying that goes (sorta like) " The golden rule is the one with the gold makes the rule". As soon as democracy is no longer profitable, the model will change.

7. Ralph Deeds profile image64

Seems to me that many of us view the issues in a false "either/or," "black or white," dichotomy when the truth is somewhere in between. Our country is a democracy albeit an imperfect one.

As somebody said "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

http://tartarus.org/~martin/essays/burkequote.html

8. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Democracy = the people vote and are in control
    Republic =  the people vote and the elected control.
    Simple as that.

Call it whatever you want. I won't quibble. Most people consider the U.S. a democratic country, a democracy.

1. qwark profile image59

Ralph:
        You are quite right. They do.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72

A democratic country, yes, and in social studies shorthand, a democracy, sure.

But if we're going to talk about the nitty-gritty of how governing is done, it's totally a constitutional republic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)