What maintanence / repair jobs to you consider it a must to hire out?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Rose Mari profile image58
    Rose Mariposted 13 years ago

Yard work?
    Electric?
    Plumbing?
    Cars?
    Paint?
    Window cleaning?
    Laundry service?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image81
      DonnaCSmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

all of the above - except laundry.

Rose Mariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? I have hired out painting before - when it is a big job. Auto work usually gets hired out unless it is super easy. Most other stuff we tend to do ourselves tho!

2. JohnBarret profile image61
      JohnBarretposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Without Electric works or plumbing no one could live happily in life.
      So, I think
      1. Electric and/or plumbing
      and the rest are also good job opportunities.

@Rose, yes you can do a little electric or plumbing but for really big works a licensed person is required.

2. LSKing profile image70
    LSKingposted 13 years ago

Cars and Plumbing.... especially plumbing!

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Colonoscopy. Doing it yourself is a blast, put for REALLY good pictures, extra hands are needed! smile

ROFLOL! wink

3. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have found it necessary to hire someone to work on the air conditioner compressor at home.  Other than that, I've never had a repairman at the house, and have the car in the garage for work only once in 40 years.

Wow! Knock on wood, that is some good luck you have going!

4. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

It depends how skilled and knowledgeable you are with any of these jobs. Laundry, painting and yard work are all fairly easy to deal with (although painting requires a certain amount of skill and attention to detail to get a 'professional' result).

In some cases it may be dangerous to attempt to do extensive repairs or upgrading, unless you do have the proper training and tools.

You just have to admit your limitations, and not be foolish.

Safety first, boys and girls... big_smile

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Depends. Sometimes I do it myself, but I am not "handy" so it can take its toll on me from the stress. Usually easier to just pay somebody unless it is very simple.   Yard work and windows I do, though not mowing or leaf raking (included in our monthly fees).

I used to do most auto work, but it's too complicated now.

6. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

Road building (seriously!)
    Gas plumbing
    Electrical
    Tree pruning (my trees are over 60' tall, and I'm not about to climb that high!)
    Auto maintenance
    Ceramic tiling
    Masonary

ah, just what I'm not good at or when I don't have the equipment (like the steam shovel....) smile

7. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

electric, plumbing, and auto repair would be normal things that I would rather have a professional take care of.

I would think if I need serious work done on a house, such as fixing a roof, checking for mold, or, if the house is up to code. I would want someone who knows what they are doing working on that.

I can do some of the other stuff you mentioned myself. I always do my own laundry. I wouldn't trust a stranger with my underwear. LOL!!!

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Breast implants. Definitely, breast implants.

8. ahomeser profile image57
    ahomeserposted 13 years ago

Yeah, would think that a home Boob job would have some risk involved!

I run a Handyman service in South Africa and can assure you that I just love the D.I.Y. homeowners.

By the time they are finished screwing up the jobs they were trying to save money on... I really start enjoying myself.

In the first place, contractors get discounts of up to 30% on the purchase of materials where you as a homeowner will pay the piper full price.

Contractors know which materials to use and know how to estimate quantities.

Furthermore, the shops whom you ask for advice, know very well that you are probably a moron and they take advantage of you in your blissful ignorance.

It's a win, win situation for the shop as well as the contractor!

Do your plumbing, electrical and car maintenance yourself! We love it...

Regards.
    Ronny Moore for A1 Home Services.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)