Member Reputation for Hub/Forum Post Removal

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I know there has been a few complaints about the spamming of the forums on weekends lately, with suggestions by hubbers that people from countries such as the UK should be given moderation positions in order to delete these posts fast and efficiently.

I'd like to suggest that instead, some sort of reputation is allotted to members.

If you use yahoo answers and regularly flag low quality or abusive questions and answers, you'll be familiar with this concept.

Basically the system works by members reporting bad content as normal. However the more 'correct' reports a user makes, the higher their reputation grows with the system. This means that a person who, say, correctly reports 98% of the time, can be rewarded by having forum topics put in some form of moderation or removal. Even if they were simply hidden from public view, based on high quality member reporting.

This would mean people would think carefully before reporting at random, and would be rewarded in a way for making a correct report - their reports would be more highly looked upon by the system/hp staff.

I don't know if it would work for hubs but I think it definitely could be a consideration on the forums.

2. Dame Scribe profile image55
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

Sounds like work n don't we or the HP team have enough? tongue lol. All kidding aside, I think the flagging system we have in place is ok. I think the best thing to happen would be if the topic was auto - removed if it's flagged. Then we don't have to see rows and rows of spam in the forums. They will be sitting in the Mod's 'For Review' bin big_smile

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I think Dame Scribe's idea is a more valid solution to the issue. 

I don't understand WryLilt's rationale that site users from the UK are somehow going to be more accurately discriminating than users based in any other country.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought she was referring to the time zone difference (rather than skills in discrimination) that might make the posts disappear faster.
      I like dame Scribe's idea, too.

2. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Frogdropping and I were having a semi serious joke about having a UK moderator or two. Because of the time difference we often get to see a lot of the spam first, particularly on saturday and sunday mornings. It would be nice to be able to get rid of it rather than having it sit there for hours and potentially provide a benefit to the spammer.

I think a combination of approaches would work best ie: some hubbers having the ability to put spam in the bin for review.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Having a moderator for the major time zones would seem like an efficient way to solve the problem.

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

The problem with having an auto remove if flagged is that it would be incredibly easy to abuse.  We have already seen tactics used by groups of members on this forum to have people banned, they would have a field day with this, and probably both of these systems. 

I think Hubpages could do with a moderator in a different timezone to keep an eye on things, and it probably will happen as the site grows.

6. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I don't like the idea of having moderators that are not paid staff members of HP.  I think Dame Scribes idea is good for spam posts.  I think too that if a post gets a certain number of flags that it should be rendered another color so others will be alerted not to reply to it.

7. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I believe that to some degree what WryLilt suggests is already in place. Some spam reports are processed very, very quickly, especially if the post includes a link and is not by a long-standing member. I think that frequent, reliable spam reporters are prioritized by the current system.

1. Susana S profile image90
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since I flag a lot of spam (and I'm sure you do too), I have come to the conclusion that if a certain number of people flag the spam and the profile, it is removed automatically. I don't know how many flags it needs or even if it is true, but I'm pretty sure there is some kind of automated algorithm.

8. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

I agree with Oli that having an auto-removal system for flags would lend itself too much to abuse, but I also agree that it would be great to have a few moderators in different time zones. The UK and Australia would be good starting points. I'm only two hours ahead of California, but I've noticed the spam problem on weekend mornings too.

9. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I'd like to think that if ever HP did hand over some moderating capacity to a few hubbers, they'd make a wise choice of hubber in the first place. I doubt very much that some hubbers would ever behave so low as to flag individual posts just because they could or didn't like the OP.

If ever it was adopted, I wouldn't have a problem with the above. I'm with Susana on the UK time zone thing - as in that's probably what WryLilt meant.

10. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I think what I said was misinterpreted - I said this was an idea INSTEAD of having people (in time zones such as the UK) made as moderators.

NO ONE is a moderator - instead each user gains trust through the number of reports they do.

As I said, if you want an idea of what I mean, check out how Yahoo answers does it - if a new member reports it may take 20 reports to remove something. If a member of good standing reports the question/answer will be removed with one or two reports.

And Susanna, I didn't know that, good to hear. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)