Hey!! Look Who's Back - Wanna help me with a Thanksgiving project!?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (50 posts)
  1. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

Hi guys!!

I've been hovering in the background (um, Meg...been waiting to hear from you wink ) How IS everyone!?

Things are good here. My Dad is doing much better, and the freelancing has gone NUTS - more work than I can stand, yay!

Anyway, I was hoping some of you might help me with a blog I'm writing: I'd like to publish a Thanksgiving tips and tricks/recipes blog, but I'd like it to be made up of suggestions from real people (my friends - you guys!). So, for those of you who celebrate it, if you have any tips or tricks up your sleeves that you use to make Thanksgiving go off without a hitch, or if you have some easy, delicious recipes you'd like to share - I'd love to hear/see them. Of course, everyone who's ideas are used will get credit, and I'll make sure everyone who participates knows where the blog is once it's finished.

So what do you say? Anything to share?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome back gs, i missed you since you've been gone. how have you been?  im glad to hear your father is doing better these days, and hopefully this is the start of many more positive things to come. smile

as far as any tips i can give you to make your thanksgiving more special, i can't say i have any at the moment.  however, i'll be sure to get back to you on that shortly then.

TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Steve! Nice to be back, and good to see you as well! I've been doing pretty well I think - feeling much better these days; thanks for asking. I hope I'm on an upswing as well.

How are things with you? I'm looking forward to your Thanksgiving tips smile

1. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been doing okay.  just been busy with work and school. that's all.  it's good to see you again, as hubpages hasn't been the same without you. 

by the way, here's a link that gives a great recipe on how to make homemade apple pie if your interested for thanksgiving. smile

http://www.suite101.com/content/homemad … les-a65461

oh and here's some cooking tips from julia childs herself. i hope this helps. smile

http://www.celebrations.com/article/jul … inner-menu

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love your post looking for TG ideas.

In our family, TG has always been a "potluck" time. Everone who comes to dinner brings something, and there are always wonderful surprises.

For the most part, my mother has hosted this event for our extended family, year after year. She's the one to make the core food...the turkey and stuffing, her infamous potato salad, cranberry relish, and fried mushrooms. Desserts, salads, and dishes like lasagna and crabcakes and pierogies come along with the guests.

But times change, to the point where this TG, Mom is catering out the core foods, inviting everyone to come along with their potluck dishes if they like.

I think Thanksgiving is the time for giving thanks, no matter what form the thanks takes. It's all about people celebrating their lives together.

As for tips and tricks?  The holiday foods are great, and important, but what's most important is being together. No matter how that comes to be. Chinese takeout or pizza delivery would be fine. Just so long as all are sitting together at the table and giving thanks.

Hi Sally! Thanks so much for sharing your family's TG traditions. I couldn't agree with you more - it doesn't matter what kind of trimmings there are - the important thing is to be together and give thanks. I'll definitely make sure to get that across in my blog smile

Hey - care to share your recipe for cranberry relish - and perogies? I could REALLY use 'em smile

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
          Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your question about the cranberry relish and pierogies...there's a story to both of them. I'll have to get back to you on that, after consultation with Mom and my Aunt Marian. smile

Awesome, Sally - I'm looking forward to it. Hope the idea gets family approval - I'd be happy to give them credit as well smile

@ Steve: Awww, you're a sweetheart. Thanks so much for the research, it will certainly help me personally this Thanksgiving - unfortunately, I won't be able to use it for the blog - I'm going for a "people's perspective" on the holiday.

3. Granny's House profile image63
      Granny's Houseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How to make Lump Free Gravy
      We all know nothing is worse then lumpy gravy. We need gravy, we want gravy! Mashed potatoes and turkey gravy. YEAAAAA!

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Make-Lump-Free-Gravey

Hey thanks! Just in time for the third installment too!! This'll be VERY helpful! :-)

2. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

I made a really nice pumpkin & lentil soup yesterday and could write down the recipe for you if you like?

Hi Susana,

That would be great, as long as you don't mind having it published. Feel free to either write it here, or send it to ncmonroe1981@yahoo.com (that goes for everyone - you can either post here, or send what you want to that email)

Thanks for the yummy-sounding recipe!

3. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Nice to see you back, glad to hear all is well.

I’m kind of ho hum on a Thanksgiving hub, being as there will undoubtedly be a blue million of them published in the next few days, though yours I would read.

I would however be quite interested in reading about your free-lancing adventures and your means to success.

Welcome back

Hey Ready! Thanks for the warm welcome :-) I have actually gotten on as a blog-writer with one of my clients' companies (it's a home decor/gardening/furniture blog...hmmm...I was going to post the link to it, but can't) sad Check out Max Furniture's website, and at the bottom you can see the link to their blog. I'm just getting the hang of it; I'm hoping they'll get better. The Thanksgiving article will be for them, but I'd like it to reflect the suggestions and ideas of real people (not the editors of Better Homes and Gardens, you know?)

In the meantime, I've become the manager of business development/social media for another one of my clients (the gift basket company, if you remember)- I'm working on all their PRs, social media campaigns, Christmas (and beyond) advertising, helping with their blog, etc. Learning all about the wonderful world of "Inbound Marketing" such as it is today.

It's exciting, and I even have my first business trip (paid for by the company! woot) coming up this weekend for strategy planning and training. I'm very excited - never been to Boston!

How are things with you??

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Things here are pretty good, given the crappy economy here in FLA, but the weather is perfect, the beer is cold, and the scotch bottles are full.

Spent Halloween scaring the you-know-what out of the neighborhood kids. (See the Hub)

I finished the final rewrite of my novel and I am working on a home improvement “how to” book, while helping by son get his Marine Repair business started.

Also my other son just returned from a deployment in the middle east yesterday, so we now have both our miltary boys home for a while.

I am SO glad to hear about your boys being home!!! Thank them for their service for me. I have recently been in Sarasota (that's where my school is) I always hate to leave, but my other friends there also complain about the economy.

I haven't checked out your Hub yet, but it's on my list of Fun Things - which I stick to as diligently these days as my To Do list (which is, of necessity, quite diligently) - at any rate, I will read it soon. I should have gotten in touch with you about the Halloween blog. LOL

Congratulations on the novel rewrite and how-to book! You are just all kinds of busy, and I'm really happy to hear it. When do we get to see the novel!!! *very excited*

So great to catch up with you! Are you sure you don't have any Thanksgiving advice at all? ;-) Take care!

4. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

Ive been wondering where you went and how things are. I'm really glad to hear things are looking up for you!! Ill look thru  my recipes for something easy and useful. Good to see you GS.  smile

Thanks! I can't promise I'll get to hang out as much as I used to, but I'm hoping to be able to at least pop in here and there. I can't wait to see what delicious recipe you find for us! Yay!

5. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

So good to hear from you glassSpider big_smile

Hey thanks!! It's good to be heard! How are you? Any Thanksgiving tips or treats?

1. katiem2 profile image60
        katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love pie and feel pie is a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving.  This year my sister is hosting thanks giving, she lives in the south and is having a tradiional cook out with bar b q and all the trimmings.

We've never done this before, but everyone is in agreement.  I'll miss the stuffing and cranberries.

I love pie too! Pie is definitely a critical piece of the holiday for me. But I am intrigued by this Southern BBQ Thanksgiving idea - what's on the menu (other than BBQ, of course)? I might miss the cranberry sauce and stuffing as well - maybe you can come up with creative ways to work them in?

potatoe salad
            mashed potatoes
            pasta salad
            macaroni salad
            baked beans
            slaw
            salad
            green beans, with bacon and onions
            veggies and dip
            potatoe chips
            sweet corn bread
            pie, I'm bringing lots of pie...

on and on and lots of sweet iced tea!

Note: I drink unsweetened iced tea so there will be plenty of that as well.

*salivates....faints....wakes up, shakes it off*

Whoa...that's a helluva spread you've got there. Yes, tons of iced tea will certainly be necessary. In my family we'd have said we'd need wheelbarrows to cart each other around in. What's going over the coals? Are we talking pulled pork BBQ or steak and burgers and such...or, given the rest of the menu - all of the above. Sounds like an awesome shindig. I strongly recommend the inclusion of cranberry sauce - it goes with everything. ;-)

lol I will def include the cranberries as your right it does go well with everything.

There will be ribs both pork and beef
                Pulled pork and ribs
                burgers, hot dogs and brats
                and all cooked on a smoker with cherry and apple wood

Now I'm getting hungry... big_smile

You're not the only one!! I think it sounds like a great idea, and I really hope you and your family enjoy it - and thanks for sharing smile

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome Back GS! smile big_smile

I'm glad things are moving along for you in a positive way. smile

Sorry, I have no tips to contribute to your blog, but wanted to stop by anyways. smile

Hey Cags! Thanks for the welcome smile No need to apologize - welcomes are just as welcome as suggestions! Glad to see you and hope you're well.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am doing well. Thank you. smile It's a pleasure to see you back. smile

7. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sall … tter-Bread

cant give me credit, its not my recipe. But I make this every year, and its super easy...bread that you dont have to knead, just mix it up and stir it and bake it. And the honey butter..yum!!! Everyone loves it and thinks I am way awesome. (well...kind of. They wont get to eat any of it this year.)I got a great recipe for sweet potatoe casserole somewhere I want to give you too. its another "make a day ahead" thing...very easy, inexpensive, and makes everyone think your a chef. I try to make as much ahead as I can.

Hey! I don't know how I did it, but I missed this post originally - thank you SO much for sharing, it sounds delicious and easy. Think I'll try it out smile

8. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Awww sad I was looking forward to seeing more ideas when I came on today - where's Meg, Crazd...LeanMan?? A ton of others?? sad

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey GS,

When you were here before there were more people in the forums, roughly about 200 people then, but now there are less than 50 people here daily.

Crazd, left Hubpages, but is on Facebook.
      LeanMan is still here.
      Meg? I'm not sure which one you're talking about but both that I know of, do come to the forums on occasion.

There are some others that you will be missing too, because they no longer come to the forums. wink And, some of the more intelligent ones are one bans. lol lol

Oh wow - lots of changes! Thanks for the update, Cags smile

@Sufi - Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to be back and happy to see you as well. Reveling in all the work big_smile How are things on your end?

9. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Good to see you back  smile

Hey skyfire. Thanks! I'm glad to be back. I hope things are well with you smile

10. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Hey, Spidey!!!! How you been doing! Good to hear from you again. I havent' been very active on the forums lately, but hope to see you around more.  Welcome back!

11. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Hi GlassSpider - Good to see you back

Glad that the freelance writing is taking off - you put so much work into making that happen and now you can reap the rewards smile

12. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Hmmm....Anyone else with any Thanksgiving goodness to add?

13. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Welcome back, stranger.  One more voice of reason added back into the forum mix again.

Hey Shades!! Great to see you! smile

Where's a voice of reason? wink Actually - I think I'm cured of the forums after my hiatus. LOL Or else of my reason. Stay tuned and we'll find out which it is.

14. TheGlassSpider profile image64

No one else thinking about Thanksgiving entertaining yet? No cool ideas to share?

15. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Welcome back, GS. So pleased you're doing well.

The Thanksgivings I remember most fondly were kid-filled, food-filled family outings. Always some pot luck (like Sally's Trove), and always tons of food.

One thing I always appreciated was that our Mom always kept a selection of our old, and some new, toys on hands for the kids...and there was always some cool younger auntie or uncle who would take the kids in hand, and keep the games rolling until it was time to eat.

That would be my tip - games, kids' activities, and someone to "help out" with them. Even in this day of cell phones, texting, and portable personal games, kids still enjoy board games, or a Wii tournament, and interacting with other kids and grown-ups.

Thanks for the welcome, RedElf - I'm really glad to BE back and still afloat in the work world big_smile

And thank you for the great tip!! I had never even thought of it, but you're SO right - there should definitely be some family fun and a bunch of things to keep the young ones occupied.

I really appreciate you sharing that. And I hope your Thanksgiving this year is full of fun, fine food, and tons of family!

16. Ben Evans profile image64
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Nice to see you pop in spider.  It has been awhile.

I would write about the spirit of thanksgiving in the scope of our families and freinds.

I think thanksgiving more than any other holiday brings people and a good spirit out.  Thanksgiving is for the most part a secular holiday.  I am not wanting to tie this to or away from religion big_smile.............It is just a tradition that everyone can participate.

I think more than any one thing people can relax during thanks giving.  It is not as stressful as Christmas and everyone can help prepare a nice feast.

I just think it is a holiday without any needs or wants.  You bring yourself or invite others to share and you enjoy the time spent and relax.

Okay for a dish.

I like cucumbers sliced and put into vinegar.
    Put a little olive oil and this is about a tea spoon to half a cup of vinegar.

Slice onions and save a few so you can garnish the top. 

Cut some ripe tomatos about 1 tomato to cucumber (save a few slices to garnish the top).

Other vegis that go well in the dish.....
    1) Cabbage
    2) Hot peppers
    3) Thinly sliced carrots
    4) Cilantro
    5) Apple slices

Choose what you want to add.

In the vinegar add the sliced vegitables add 2 table spoons of sugar (brown sugar is my fav)  I also like to add something spicy to give it a kick.  Also spices like basil go well in this.

I mix everything together the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator.

I put thinly sliced tomatos and onions on top and put a little black pepper and some paprika to give it color.

Simple but something I like.

Ben! Thank you so much for sharing! My mouth is watering - I'm going to try your recipe this year - it looks like it has a ton of great variations and allows for one to be creative. I love that in a recipe.

I couldn't agree with you more. While I enjoy Christmas, I can't help but really love Thanksgiving. I feel like everyone can find something to be thankful for, and I love getting together with friends and family to share each other's company (and a great meal wink ) without having to worry about a ton of decorations and gifts. I remember being a kid and helping my Mom and Dad cook and prepare things for days before, and then the rest of the family would all show up with dishes they had prepared. We'd all laugh together and stuff ourselves, and just be happy. Great holiday - great memories.

thank you again so much for sharing....this might end up becoming a two part blog if people keep contributing like this - which I would LOVE. smile

17. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

Thanks so much, GS - right back atcha !! big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

18. mythbuster profile image71
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

Nice to see u back, TGS! (I just welcomed a spider back? arachnophobe here lol)

I was excited to seeya back so I went directly to post. Now I have to go back and read the thread properly lol

*waves*

back soon...

Awww *hugs* Great to see you too, mythbuster! Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm going to do my best to stick around for awhile this time smile

19. TheGlassSpider profile image64

Finally getting around to writing this blog - any last minute suggestions are appreciated, and BIG thanks to all the Hubbers who left comments here or took the time to write to me! :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)