Eating Healthy and Being Hungry

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (25 posts)
  1. nlowman profile image60
    nlowmanposted 13 years ago

So, I'm a pretty healthy eater (mostly), and I try to keep full with fiber-rich foods (whole grains, beans, etc), drinking water, and trying to eat lots of veggies, but I feel hungry all the time. I'm also trying to eat smaller meals more often, which I know is good, but sometimes is harder. Anyway, is anyone else doing a similar thing and having a similar issue? Any solutions/ideas? Or general thoughts on being hungry while eating healthy?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are making a drastic change, it could take a while to adjust. In the meantime, you might want to keep a few treats to use sparingly-- maybe as rewards for eating well.
      Don't cut out all fats. A little olive oil is good, and might help the feelings of deprivation.
      I'm not a nutritionist-- just some personal ideas.
      Do some research on it from some expert sources.

2. profile image55
      fionadeogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi, i just posted 5 tips from fatty to healthy. Hope it will help.

changing the portion of fruits, vege, protein, carbo and oil while eat 80% full might be helpful too.

2. thranax profile image73
    thranaxposted 13 years ago

Eating healthy and losing weight are two separate things. Saying you eat healthy and lose weight is easiest done being hungry. You can eat healthy and gain weight too, or eat healthy and maintain your weight. Most of the time, if you eat enough to maintain your weight you will not be hungry. 2000 calories in fruits and vegetables is more then the average human can normally eat in a 24 hour period.

~thranax~

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think it's good to feel a little hungry.  I'm a little hungry right now, but it's too late to eat.

I enjoy eating more when I am hungry.  I'll enjoy breakfast that much more tomorrow from going to bed slightly hungry.

4. Lisa HW profile image60
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Other than the beans, you didn't mention protein; and as Rochelle said, a few "reasonable" fats help eliminate hunger.  If you're not a vegan, adding a little bit of cheese might help.  Maybe you could gradually eliminate that later if you got more used to eating that way.

It may make a difference, too, what vegetables you're eating.  I know there are differences if you cook vegetables one way versus another (or don't cook them); but I know if I ate a good serving of, say, cooked carrots, lima beans, and/or peas I wouldn't be hungry.  On the other hand, if I hate lettuce, celery, a cucumber, and a tomato I'd probably be hungry.

Bananas are really healthy (if you're worried about calories you wouldn't have to eat the whole thing), and they're really filling.  A little soy milk with your meal may help you feel less hungry (if it doesn't give you "belly problems").  An apple or pear with honey on it can be filling.  (Honey is healthy if you're not worried about blood sugar levels.)   A small piece of the dark, not-too-sugared-up chocolate might help you be less hungry.  (Dark chocolate is actually healthy if it's the kind that isn't loaded with as much sugar as most chocolate has. If calories aren't the issue, a tiny, tiny, piece of it might help.)

5. nlowman profile image60
    nlowmanposted 13 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

I think I eat too much protein. Other than breakfast, and sometimes there too, I have a meat with every meal. Add to that my being a carb junkie, and you can see why I'm hungry after a day of mostly veggies. I have found that adding avocado and almonds to salads helps make them more filling.

I'm not specifically trying to lose weight, because my weight is normal. About a year ago though, I was eating much better and just felt better every day. My body felt better, my skin looked better, and I wasn't bloated. The bloat is an uber-carb thing, I think.

Milk is a really good idea that I forgot about. The soy version doesn't play nice with my stomach though.

Another issue is the binge. I'll be great for a few days, then I do what all the experts say you're not supposed to, which is bring a whole box of crackers and a brick of cheese in front of the tv and eat the whole damn thing. Arg! Just did it last night. Sorry, had to vent.

6. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Chinese food is all the healthy eating in one.  The problem (and the good part) is that it is uninspiring, a lot of it is really nice and satisfying when eating it but none really stands out as in  "I am looking forward to" any particular thing.  The whole issue of western diet is confused beyond belief by commercial interests and their misinformation. A normal meal in China is fresh food from the market, mostly veg with a little meat or one of the hundreds of types of tofu, the veg is grown close by and the meat is locally produced and killed this morning.  Supermarkets appear to be giving you what you want but in fact they prevent local grown and reared while with-holding low profit items that are generally good for you.  Oh yes, and we get very little dairy products of any kind.

7. Suzie Parker profile image61
    Suzie Parkerposted 13 years ago

Hi Nlowman

It sounds like you may be intolerant to wheat or something in carbs. Consult with your doctor and let she test you for food allergies.I think it is not the carbs itself that is making you bloated. It is good to eat carbs, its what supply the body with vital energy to perform tasks, to exercise and to motor your metabolism.

As you are at a healthy weight, don't consume too little calories. Try to eat as healthy and balanced as possible. Don't skip one food group in favor for another - that's not very healthy. Doing so will make you feel hungry and will also make you binge.

Rather have lean protein, healthy fats, healthy carbs and fruits/veggies with every meal. Learn what are the correct portion sizes for a person of your activity level and make sure that you stick to those portion sizes. If you eat such a healthy, balanced diet and you stick to the right portion sizes, you shouldn't feel hungry.

Exercise also helps to control your appetite. So make room for regular exercise and you will be less hungry.

Have lots of fruit (but no more than 5 a day) to snack on throughout your day and also snack on a tablespoon full of nuts and have one cup of fat free yogurt a day. Lots of veggies with your meals should also help.

As for the binging, eating enough throughout the day should help you be less likely to binge. If you feel like binging, put aside a small portion of the food that you want to binge on, in a plate and pack away the rest. Savor the small amount of binge food that is on your plate slowly, focusing on every taste and bite.

I hope my tips could help you and that you feel less hungry!

8. profile image0
    wademcmasterposted 13 years ago

You could have a look at meal frequency, eating 6 small meals as opposed to 3 large ones.  Or drinking more water, thirst is often mistaken for hunger, althought if you a re genuinely hungry that wont help!

9. hubscribe profile image60
    hubscribeposted 13 years ago

I try to eat whole wheat options when I get a chance, because apparently it takes longer to digest than processed grains.  Plus, since i have to forego eating huge meals, I try to enjoy the fact that I am eating lots of fruits for snacks.

10. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

If you are truly eating healthy and are hungry all the time, then you either need to get checked out by a doctor or you are simply eating at the wrong time periods and eating the wrong combination of foods. Try eating every four hours (anything closer together can counter-productively spike your blood sugar) and always eat fiber with complex, whole-grain carbs and protein. A perfect snack is 1 granny smith apple (lower sugar) with 1-2 tbsp of almond butter, with no sugar added. If you use peanut butter, use all natural with no added sugar.

Cut out all processed food, especially High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is probably the worst chemical that any human could ever ingest - especially people who have problems with feeling hungry all the time. I am working on a series of hubs with my own research about eating disorder symptoms and the correlation with food additives and food allergies. There is barely any research out there, which frustrates me. I am fairly certain that some food additives and allergies can really mimic symptoms of an eating disorder called binge eating disorder or compulsive eating disorder.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm a little confused by your posts. you mention you're eating more healthy in your OP, but in your next post, you mention eating a lot of meat and that you're a carb junkie, which really isn't the healthiest way to eat.

maybe try to balance your meals from the food groups and eat more frequently. you don't need meat with each meal. cut down on the carbs and add some healthy fat to your veggies and salad, like olive or sesame seed oil dressings.

fruit smoothies made with yogurt may help fill you up.
    low-fat yogurt with fruit and nuts mixed in.
    avocado slices with whole wheat crackers and a mozzarella cheese stick.
    hummus and sliced veggies
    stuffed tomatoes or green peppers with tuna salad or a chicken salad
    pear with low-fat cottage cheese

it could also be your metabolism if you burn calories fast. you may have to eat something every few hours.

with the binging, that's the tough part where you just have to give yourself a cut-off time and stick to it, or a small handful of crackers and a cheese stick.

12. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I went to see a nutritionist about this very thing - the diet you are describing is similar to ours. 

The nutritionist pointed out that it has to do with blood sugar levels - too many of the wrong kinds of carbs (like bread for instance - even GOOD bread) cause fluctuations or bottoming out in natural insulin levels which leads to hunger and food cravings in between meals.

She suggested (and it works) eating something about every 3-4 hours.  It totally stopped the hungry feelings for both of us.  Just a little snack such as a tangelo or a few almonds - a bit of Greek yogurt with a couple of walnuts - an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter....all these things make great snacks that also have good things in them.

She also suggested we eat a good breakfast but go easy on the bread for instance - then eat our largest meal at midday - and if we eat late in the evening, say 7 or 8 - then make sure we provide ourselves with those snack items as above every 3-1/2 to 4 hours, then eat a light dinner such as a salad or small portions of something else. 

These things have worked great for us and even helped us achieve weight loss and lowered blood levels on different tests so that is a good thing!

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I have read this also, fairly recently. I believe one of the culprit additives is MSG which is hiding in a lot of processed foods. it enhances the flavor of food which  makes you want to eat more. probably why people can't eat just a handful of doritoes, which aren't healthy anyway, but think about the people (especially kids) who sit down and eat an entire bag in one sitting.
    http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

14. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Yet another strike against processed foods - it is hard to eliminate all but I really try.  Every once in a while, I think I will get 'lazy' and buy a mix for example for pancakes or a snack cake let's say.  When I look at the ingredients, I put it back every time because there are just too many 'unknowns' in there that I cannot identify!

15. charkamman profile image59
    charkammanposted 13 years ago

I feel I have to eat enough protein not to feel hungry, and you need enough fat as well - just make sure you eat the right kind of fat (Coconutoil is a good one for eample).
    It's not nice feeling hungry the whole time, I see it's 6 weeks ago, how are you doing now?
    Charlotte

16. profile image54
    High Healthposted 13 years ago

Hello Nlowman

If you recently started on this diet and your old one was unhealthy with not alot of vitamins or minerials it could be your body replenishing itself and you should not feel so hungry after a few weeks/months. I know this from personal expirence from when I switched from a unhealthy diet into a healthy one and i was allways feeling hungry up untill recently now i get full really easily .

17. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I do the healthy eating habits myself and excercise, dancercise, walks, skip and taebo lol and yes, I also take a day when I get chocolate and salt cravings tongue so I will have a chocolate bar and smaall bag of chips but eat only half. Wierd yeah and as far as hunger goes, I keep a supply of apples or other favorite fruits (peaches and cantaloupe) nearby.

18. ChiaPet1021 profile image60
    ChiaPet1021posted 13 years ago

I would suggest the following items as snacks to help you curb your hunger pangs:
    - Cooked, peeled, deveined shrimp
    - Greek yogurt
    - Steel cut oats
    - Nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, and/or pecans), cooked without extra oil or sugar

These items have good amounts of protein and/or fiber to accompany the calories that go with them. Veggies are great as far as nutrition and fat loss go, but they don’t really help you feel full for very long after they are consumed. The foods above have more substance and they will help you to feel satisfied for a longer period of time. Don’t go too overboard with them, though, or your weight may creep back up.

Hope that helps!

19. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

i was on a 1200 cal diet recently. i definitely did the whole grain thing to stay satisfied. snacks when i got hungry between meals were: a half cup of fat free yogurt, a banana, 10 baby carrots, a navel orange, or a handful of walnuts or almonds. i didn't do the shrimp thing mentioned by chiapet, but it's a great idea. shrimp are very low cal and have satisfying protein with a bonus of omega-3's. i also found that i could distract myself with enjoyable activity instead of eating if i was only a little hungry.

20. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Heck, I stay hungry! I can eat a big breakfast full of protein then be hungry again in 2 hours. It's ridiculous.

21. Seakay profile image59
    Seakayposted 13 years ago

I can identify with that!

22. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

My cardiologist put me on a vegetarian diet. No milk products, no meat, no sugar, no salt. I have been eating mostly fruits and vegetables for a month now and have lost 15 pounds. My cholesterol was high, hence the diet. Some days I think I am gonna die from hunger. I have to give in just a little to keep my spirits up (I feel mean!). Anyways, I have found that keeping vegetable and fruit snacks close by like bananas, apples, oranges, carrots, etc. can help me. If I get hungry, I just eat one of those. Also herbal tea is great. Hope you are able to continue on your diet and me also. I look better, but still feel mean - which is better - being happy and fat or lean and mean?

23. Hestia DeVoto profile image60
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

My sister is a super healthy eater but she finds that if she doesn't get enough protein in her meals, she winds up hungry.  Take a look at what you are eating to make sure you get enough complex carbs and protein, the stuff that gives you energy longer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)