2 months away from becoming a single mom

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. risatungol profile image61
    risatungolposted 13 years ago

The reason why I joined hubpages is because I'm pregnant and I can't get a job here... while there are a lot of articles on how to earn, I would also like to hear from single moms out there, especially when it comes to dealing with depression, self-pity, stress etc... thanks a lot.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having had both but done mostly alone anyways, the best advice I can give you is to "keep your wits about you".  It's hard enough being a mom with a partner and I am sending you some love and encouragement because it really is hard. 

When I was at a down point, I would hold my kid really close and tell her everything.  Even though she had no idea what I was saying to her, it made me feel stronger and more confident that I could do it because she became my strength. 

Good luck to you mommy! xoxoxoxoxo

risatungolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow that's really nice I'd love to try that with my baby. Thank you so much! Godbless you. smile

2. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Well, I'm not a single mom anymore, but did spend quite a lot of time as a single stay-at-home mom...which was, in a word, terrifying tongue. I'd been working on building up my writing career with freelancing already, then discovered a few things about my husband that didn't sit well with me (namely, infidelity...though there were other issues as well) and left -- and felt like I'd just been kicked off a cliff career-wise, and that career was in its fledgling stages as it was. All of a sudden I didn't have the safety net from his income, and my son's welfare depended entirely on my ability to make it work.

I think the biggest thing I had to learn was not to let the huge burden of expectation, the stress of everything that was going on, the doubts of my own self-worth, and the constant fear for the future paralyze me. I told myself that I had to keep going, no matter what, and would just keep trying until I found a solution to whatever obstacles I faced. It was a constant struggle for a while, but it actually turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me both as a person and in my career. I now know that I really can do it, and that I'm not dependent on anyone else to be able to take care of myself and my kids.

That said, it is really hard to start from scratch, and if you need a good income quickly then you're probably going to have to do a lot more than start writing hubs. I personally started in the freelance markets, and once I had a fairly steady stream of clients there I started putting more effort into the affiliate sites. Affiliate sites can make a lot better money per article than selling them outright, but it takes time to accumulate that money...if you have to put food on the table, you don't have the luxury of time. Definitely still keep up a certain bit of affiliate work on the side -- I try to do at least a little bit every day -- because that's what will eventually let you slow down a little with your work schedule and enjoy more time with your kid. Not to mention, having a little residual income every month without additional work means there's that much less that you have to worry about -- it gets to the point that you know you'll have $XXX each month even if you don't get hired for a single project, which makes financial stability a little easier to plan for.

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm not a single mum but I work, do university and write - and that's stressful enough with a husband!

I just thought I'd let you know that you have my full support. And if you need any help or advice, feel free to contact me. smile

4. risatungol profile image61
    risatungolposted 13 years ago

@wychic: Thanks for sharing your experiences. I hope I can be as strongs as you are. I also want to say that you're right I don't think writing on hub alone will provide for me and my kid that's why I'm making the most out of my small convenience store (sari-sari store her in the Philippines) which pays for my rent expenses, and hopefully be able to get a regular job after I give birth. But I still want to improve on writing because, as you said it's better to have residual income than absolutely nothing. Thanks  and Godbless to you and your family.

@WryLilt: Thank you so much for the support even if you don't even know me... knowing that someone cares really helps. thanks & Godbless smile

1. freehans profile image60
      freehansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Filipino too, living in Cebu. I find it very nice to see some filipino participating here in hubpages. Here in the philippines, I always like the common phrase "Proud to be Pinoy". I know you can do it. Just don't give up with what you started.

2. freehans profile image60
      freehansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi again my co-Filipino Hubber, here is my hub about depression, I hope this hub will help you.  http://hubpages.com/hub/Exercise-for-Fi … epression.  I also see that you are interested to earn online. Why don't you try to sign up for an amazon account and place your affiliate code in your "My Affiliate Setting?" then place amazon capsules in every hub you writes? or you can also sign up for a google adsense account? I think all these will help you earn money online. But it always takes time and effort, then the result is next to come. God bless co-Filipino "Kababayan"

5. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

Hi there Risa smile were of the same race ! Welcome to HP.. . I hope that your labor won't be that painful, and don't you worry at all for God is in control of everything big_smile been to your profile, I'm learning another language too and it's Korean..
    You will be soon blessed with a gift from God so cheer up, well I'm not a mum yet and like WryLilt I'm also available if you needed somebody to listen to..

Hi claudin!!! thanks for the support! It's good to hear from another pinay knowing that you'd be able to understand my situation more. Goodluck on your Korean language studies. Godbless! smile

1. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
        Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile I know you will and can make it.. God bless too Risa

6. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

@risatungol first of congratulations . Secondly if i can assist in what ever way on hub i would love to do that..do let me know...all the best...

thanks so much smile Well, I'm new at this and I'm not really a writer, I guess tips about improving on my hub would be great help. smile

7. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Hi Risatungol  welcome to HP, no I am not a single mother but mother alright....this is a critical time for you and your emotional state will have an impact on your self and your baby ...try to be be as cheerful as possible and please feel free to ask for any help that you may need, you can use the personal mail contact button if you want to.

hi sofs! Thanks for the advice. Actually dealing with the emotional stress is the hardest part for me because I'm not used to sharing my problems to my family. I find it easier when I tell them to someone who I don't really know.

Thanks for offering help... I actually would want to ask help about making my hubs because it's my first time to try this, I'm not really a writer and I want to improve my hubs. Well, at first I thought it was just about making money, but now I realize that it's about the passion to share what you know. Thanks so much again and Godbless!!!

8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

You should do a search on hubs here about SEO, hub tips, etc.  There's a wealth of information here.  Wrylilt is one of the more successful hubbers.  She wrote a lot in six months and was able to make payout of $100; it took me a year to make payout.  I think that $100 is a good sum when you convert it to philippine money.

Thanks for the advice. I'm having trouble with google adsense too, they havent approved my application yet...

9. Denise Handlon profile image85
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Hi Risa-great advice from the other ladies here.  I recommend reading the tutorials as well, to hone your writing craft.  It's an onward study and practice. 

As for your single momhood: I was a single mom (through divorce), with  3 and 5 yr old daughters that depended on me for food, clothes, survival.  I took a different route-went back to school, got my nursing degree and had more financial stability that way.

They're adults now, with kids of their own, and I now have more time to devote to my writing.  Hold your dreams close to your heart and allow them to unfold.  Everything is with right timing.

I wish you the best as a new mom. Motherhood is the BEST. I love being a mom and a grandma.  Don't be afraid, it is such a joy. 

There are tons of great folks here at Hubpages that will offer you support.  So, good luck and please call on me if you need a quick answer about anything...seriously, ANYTHING.  I may not know the answer, but I may be able to guide you...or at least offer a shoulder to lean on.  WElcome to Hubpages.  smile

Thanks so much Denise! The truth is, aside from writing, I am also studying Japanese. my goal is to pass the JLPT exams for me to be able to teach the language in schools/universities here in the Philippines. I hope it works so that I'd also have financial stability in the future. Your kind words means a lot to me. thanks again and Godbless to you and your family.

10. geargirl113 profile image61
    geargirl113posted 13 years ago

I am a single mom and have been since the day my daughter was born. I choose to go back to school when she was born to get a job that would work with getting to spend more time with her. I went into medical billing.

I started writing to supplement this income. I have been laid off twice from billing jobs and am always thankful that I have my writing money to fall back on.

It can be done. You just have to believe in yourself and know that you can conquer anything.

Thank you so much for the advice. I really hope writing for hubpages work for me because I enjoy writing so much, and now that i know that there are a lot of nice people like you on hubpages, i like it even more! smile

Thanks again and take care. smile

11. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Just remember that God Loves You and will take care of your needs. Just trust in Him.  GOD BLESS!

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Kids need very little material things, but they need lots of love. Always remember that! They need a smiling mom too wink

13. Eldercurk profile image67
    Eldercurkposted 8 years ago

Just remember, he will never leave or forsake you. My god shall supply all of your needs according to his riches in Christ Jesus. BE constant in Prayer and never let doubt in.

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Why bother bumping a 5 year old (!) forum thread? The original poster is probably long gone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)