How do you express your love for people in your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Happyboomernurse profile image84
    Happyboomernurseposted 13 years ago

Love, and our ability to give and receive love,  is the most powerful force in our lives. How do you experience and express your love for people in your life?

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

By doing little things for them that make their life a bit easier.
      Love is a doing thing. I wrote a hub on love. smile

1. profile image0
        mtsi1098posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree...I also like to send note of appreciate and most times for now reason at all

2. Aisla profile image74
      Aislaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are so many different types of love within one person.
      I love the sun , i love the rain. I love to feel good, i love being happy sometimes i even love feeling sad. I love my mum and dad, i love my husband, i love my daughter, my cat, my dog and this can go on forever. Although the romantic love i feel for someone is different again.
      How do i know if i love my husband.  He too makes me happy and sad but after 25 years of marriage i wouldn't trade him for anything, I would miss the butterflies with their tackety boots in my stomach everytime i think of him.
      He gives me wisdom, he comforts me when i am down, he snaps me into reality when i need it and he is a wonderful father. I know i love him because i never need to lie to him and i trust him with my innermost thoughts. To me that is real love.

Happyboomernurseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, your response was beautiful, inspiring and poetic.

2. bayoulady profile image68
    bayouladyposted 13 years ago

IN WORDS AND ACTIONS!
    The words "I love you" are beautiful to hear, but the sincerity has to be backed up with your actions. Not only do I say it, I do my best to show it.
    I think you should treat those you love as kindly as you want to be treated. It has been said by many that we treat our neighbors, friends, and strangers in a mall with more courtesy than we treat our own loved ones. Sadly, I have seen this many times.
    I remember my ex used to say he loved me mostly in front of people .(big show off..wanted everyone to think he was such a great catch..) It would have meant more if he didn't rant,rave a, and yell about such mundane things as no ice in the fridge and rarely glance at me at home unless it was meal time or bedtime!

Bayoulady,
      Actions do speak louder than words.  I'm glad you not only say, "I love you," but also back it up with loving actions.
      Sorry to hear that your "ex" was unable to show or express love in private. That must have been very painful for you, but it seems like it also brought you greater awareness of what not to do in an intimate relationship.
      I hope you now have found a truly loving partner in your life.

3. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
    Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years ago

Well I'm a type of person who's not that blatant of how I truly feel, a hypocrite could be big_smile .. If bayoulady could have it by words and action I can only show it in actions.. It's not my fault if the phrase "I love you" for me is that hard to utter smile

Actions always speak louder than words and I know it's possible to be a "loving" person without actually saying the words. My first love was like that. I was 16 to 18, he was 19-21 and the kindest, most gentle and loving boy I knew. He also had cancer and was unable to say the words, "I love you," until a few days before he died, when he was trying to express in words how grateful he was that I had stayed with him throughout his battle with cancer. I cried on his chest when I heard him say those three little words. I knew he loved me long before he said them, so I knew that what he was really saying that night was goodbye.

1. Claudin_Dayo profile image61
        Claudin_Dayoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh that was really sad :'( .. . I feel like crying !!
        your first love and I are very much the same..

I sensed that was so.
          Yes, my first love's death broke my heart when I was still a teenager like you, but since then I have learned that love truly never dies. We take it with us wherever we go. I became a nurse because of my first love's battle with cancer. A few years later I met another wonderful man who knows how to express love in both words and deeds. That man has been my husband and best friend for 36 years!

So the way I see it, I was twice blessed.
          I read your hub on love. It was very wise and beautifully written.

4. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I have to go with Claudin_Dayo here...I'm not that overly effusive in my expression of my love for those who mean the most to me in my life. In the past, certain people have decided that that meant I really didn't love them as much as the people who said it more, though those who really love me back have recognized that I show my love through my actions and my willingness to sacrifice for them when the need arises.

My husband and son are the only ones who hear "I love you" consistently from me, because I feel like I can never do enough to show all the love I have for them. They're also the only people I truly believe an "I love you" from. Unfortunately, there are many manipulative people in the world that have severely cheapened the phrase, and many who have made me believe it until it suited them to hurt me with it. The only people I'll believe are the ones who back up their words with actions, and those who continually say the words will always be regarded with suspicion until they've shown that they mean what they say.

It sounds like your heart overflows with love for your husband and son, so that with them words of love are easily given and received.
      What a blessing to have 2 people in your life that you truly love and who love you with the same degree of passion.

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

humour smile

Ah humour!  I love that answer. Is there anything better than sharing laughter with someone you love?  (Hmmmm.........maybe, but this isn't the place to discuss it).

6. kids-toy-box profile image71
    kids-toy-boxposted 13 years ago

In words and actions..by doing thoughtful things which often get reciprocated.

Yes, that is the beauty of love-  that it is often (though not always) reciprocated. When words and actions are in harmony it creates a synergy that intensifies loving feelings, and is the best possible scenario.

2. Happyboomernurse profile image84

Well said using an economy of words.

7. ilmdamaily profile image68
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

Cuddles!

Or violence.

No wait, it's cuddles.

Violence always sends the wrong message.

(that's sarcasm for the uninitiated...)

Not sure I get why people hold back on saying or displaying love.

It don't cost a thing - and it's not like the world's got too much of it...

ilmdamaily,
      Glad you clarified the violence part.....you had me worried for a moment, but then  I realized you were being sarcastically funny and you got me laughing.
      Probably a thousand reasons why people can't say it or display it.

8. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

It costs nothing to tell people whom you care about that you love them,I am sure they can never have enough of that. Do little thoughtful things that will make them fell they are worth it..
    Put your needs second to those you care about and you will have a relationship of a lifetime.
    Let go, don't hold grudges, see the good in the other person and you have a wonderful life to look forward to... has worked for me smile

I love your attitude and wise advice and am not surprised that it's enriched your own life with long term quality relationships.

9. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

What a great forum question HBN. 

I love my kids and my grandkids and all of the special people who touch my life. I express this through saying, "I love you"; sending cards that tell them I am thinking of them; purchasing little things that remind me of them that they like; making a favorite meal and sharing it with them; taking the time to LISTEN to them when they talk-full attention no matter how old they are (little ones included) or how late or early in the day it is; supporting their fundraising, their projects and their interests. 

I express my love by spending money on airfare to be with my grandchildren at Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and birthdays so we can share that annual funtime together. 

I express my love when I keep my promises; by being dependable; by offering a positive role model for living.  I express my love by keeping them company when I would just as soon be home relaxing, and by sharing information that has been useful in my life and is just the right time to pass along. 

There are countless ways that I express my love-and gratitude, for the people in my life.

Welcome Denise,
      Thanks for stopping by.
      I see you are a master at expressing love through thoughtful gifts, the generous giving of your time and attention and through the practice of integrity such as keeping your promises and holding true to your words.
      If you haven't already done so, I hope you write a hub about this topic because your ideas are wonderful and you've already written the guts of a great hub! 
      Thanks for sharing these great ideas in the forum.

10. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I've recently been writing souly on the topic of love.  I feel love is the most vital of all needs in this universe.  SO good to hear this question being asked.

To answer, I follow the prompting of my heart, I let people know what I find valuable in them.  Everyone needs to be appreciated and a show of appreciation creates love in everyone's heart.  Plus a nice smile to begin with!

Much Love and Success smile big_smile smile wink

Hi Katiem2,
      Very well said and I totally agree that love is the most vital of all needs, and sharing it sure does spread smiles through the world.
      I'm going over to check out your hubs now. I suspect your profile page will be a warm sunny place to visit on this cool, rainy day in Delaware.
      Thanks for contributing to this forum.

11. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Hi HBN-thanks for the encouragement. Didn't think of it before you mentioned it, but I just may follow up on your suggestion. I'm also participating in this years NaNoWriMo (this month) so I am being challenged to keep up with my word count there.

Great forum question, btw

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)