IS THERE ANYTHING LIKE REINCARNATION?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (101 posts)
  1. Osa Osazuwa-Tosan profile image61
    Osa Osazuwa-Tosanposted 15 years ago

Reincarnation is a doctrine that has generated some debates over time. I am interested in knowing whether there really is anything like reincarnation.

Please send your response as you will be doing me, and I'm sure a lot of other folks, a lot of good by enlightening us about the reality and importance of this concept, and remove confusion from us thereby.

Thanks for your kind response.

1. Nickny79 profile image67
      Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

No one can "prove" to you the existence of reincarnation.  There are those who claim to have experienced or perceived the passed lives through decades of meditating in isolation.  You are welcome to replicate their techniques and report back to us in 20 years.

1. Jewels profile image81
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It seriously doesn't take that long. And doesn't mean you have to be a full time meditator in order to see, though it is one way.  Experiencing past lives is not difficult, though discernment is required to know what is or is not a past life.  Convincing you that I've experienced a past life is a fruitless exercise.  Unless you experience it yourself, then the concept is vague at best.

One landmine in the learning of states of consciousness is the discursive and chattering mind, that which will doubt even when initially convinced of a metaphysical experience.

1. Nickny79 profile image67
          Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Even if we assume arguendo that it's possible to experience past lives--and I in no way deny the possibility--not everyone has the same degree of intuition to achieve the meditative state that allows them to do so.  For some, it may indeed take decades or perhaps lifetimes.

Merely stilling the discursive/chattering mind for any significant period of time and entering some semblance "samadhi" is not something that the ordinary person can achieve in a few weeks or months of even consistent meditative practice--the mere attainment of mastery of ones mind in this attention deficited age is, for some, a lifetimes' work.

For some this may be true.  But once you learn techniques to quieten the mind, it's just a matter of practice.  For most it's not the technique that's the problem, it's the practice of it. Discipline.

I've certainly not mastered my mind - boy if only. (I'm too lazy!)  But you seriously don't need to master meditative states to regress and go deep into yourself and experience past lives.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I dont know about coming back in another body but I  died and came back in my own body
      .Had things to do .smile

Osa Osazuwa-Tosanposted 15 years agoin reply to this
    3. andrasnm profile image58
      andrasnmposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Even some Bible quotes suggests that reincarnation is real. Reincarnation and karma go hand in hand. The reason we reincarnate is because we have karmic baggage, that need to be equaled out.
      I hope this helps.....

Please give some of the Bible quotes you referred to as suggesting that reincarnation is real.

Thanks for your response.

4. profile image50
      eastridge33posted 15 years agoin reply to this

i hope u dont come back as a worm i love to sink worms
      (fishing)

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

As Nicky said: "No one can "prove" to you the existence of reincarnation."
    Life after death, what's the sense just go to heaven and play a harp. Seems if going to have continued existence would want continued embodiments. Only makes sense.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me. Put me down for some reincarnation. Got to be better than hanging out in heaven with a bunch of fascists....... big_smile

3. knolyourself profile image60

Ok put you on the list.
    Anybody ever think of the implications of eternal life. What's anybody going to do? But I am having fun now.

1. profile image50
      delordsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Fact is that there is nothing like incarnation
      because the Bible says it is appointed unto man
      once to die and after death the judgment.

Eternal life has no negative implication but Eternal
      death means you are lost forever in hell far away
      from GOD, and light.
      Eternity is real as real as this post you are reading
      now, as real as you are and thousands keep going
      to eternity unprepared.

you can read about eternity on this blog here
      this is a real Vision of eternity a lady had.

<promotional link snipped>

Fact? lol

Come on. You need to look up the definition of the word "fact."

And it is not "A bunch of people believe it." lol

2. Jewels profile image81

Eternity in this context sounds like an abyss somewhere.  The afterlife spaces are not necessarily Eternity.  Define Eternity.    Eternal Death, what is this?  Sounds like Eternity and Eternal Death are the same.  If you go to eternity unprepared, is this eternal death?  In many other streams of religious teachings, if you are not prepared for eternity, it is not an eternal hell you will end up in, but the cycle of reincarnation.  You are reborn to experience life and in doing, with all the luck of the Irish, hopefully you can leave your body in a state fit for 'eternity' next time, provided you have lived a virtuous life.

I personally see the possibility of most people transcending to "Eternity" as very unlikely.  But that's my opinion on what I see.  While I see spaces/levels that are of a higher state, beautiful in essence, I know this is one level and there are much higher to attain.  I'm happy to go to the next step, it's much nicer than here!! smile

It's certainly not fact I'm talking about here.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 15 years ago

Is there anything like reincarnation?

Yes. Grass and perhaps daisies.

That's part of the composting process isn't it?  Worm fodder!

2. Osa Osazuwa-Tosan profile image61

Aha, please can you give full explanation?

5. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

Rein-carnation, that's canned milk, isn't it? smile

6. Nickny79 profile image67
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

Now there's an interesting question:  Has anyone had any near death experiences?

1. Dave82689 profile image61
      Dave82689posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well I almost died when I was a kid, about three-months old, but I was to young to remember anything.

2. Osa Osazuwa-Tosan profile image61

Please if anyone has, please kindly respond.

1. mohitmisra profile image60

It was not  a near death experience but a total death experience-enlightenment smile

If you were enlightened you would not be here.  Especially when you look at the Hindu model of enlightenment being merging with the Divine - that's back into non-duality.  If you were in non-duality you wouldn't be coming back here - that's for sure.

A total death experience would mean you have lost the link to your physical body, hence the term Near Death Experience exists because you are not permanently dead.  You can go into the Death State and be conscious of it and recall the state when you come back into the physical body, though it's common that most don't recall it all.

People who have attained high states of consciousness and can maintain them don't speak about not wanting to be here which I've heard you speak about many times in your comments.

When an initiate also talks about death of the astral body, meaning death to attachment and hence attaining a non-reactive state of being, being in the physical state is usually blissful and there is not much talk of not wanting to BE here.

But this hub seems to be specifically about Death - as in death of the physical body and the continuation of consciousness in another body - reincarnation.

Enlightenment- dying becoming one with the source-god-the light and coming back.
            Like I said before in Hindu terms its called samadhi and maha smadhi.

You seem angry. smile Once you have tasted the bliss of the light-sure you want to go back home.You understand this dimension is hell but for that you need to awaken. smile

What do you think Jesus meant when he said reborn?

One story goes that a child cries immediately when he is born.The reason -oh no not again smile

Then why not awaken?  But to truly die and be reborn in the context of what Jesus was saying - to be reborn from the ashes like a phoenix - is this the reborn you are meaning? Means to die to your conditioned mind, to wash away all pain and all sorrows, etc. etc.  All unconscious and subconscious samskaras - scars of the mind - are healed because you have let go of them.   You truly have choice in this sense - before there were reactions, now there are choices to not react.

What the world needs more than anything is virtuous, courageous, awakened people who have a sense of action in their blood.  Create Heaven on Earth.  And the amazing thing when people do full on spiritual transformation, it's often service that is the result.  Get the bliss every time you meditate in the morning, then get into Life. Bring all of yourself into the world, spread it around. Otherwise life can suck!   Paradoxes in high states of consciousness.

I apologize if I sounded angry.

I am a religious poet spreading god knowledge- I know what I have to do smile
                This planet needs everyone to awaken and go back home smile

7. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

Proud Songsters, by Thomas Hardy   

The thrushes sing as the sun is going,
        And the finches whistle in ones and pairs.
        And as it gets dark loud nightingales
        In bushes
        Pipe, as they can when April wears,
        As if all time were theirs.

These are brand-new birds of twelve-months’ growing,
        Which a year ago, or less than twain,
        No finches were, nor nightingales,
        Nor thrushes,
        But only particles of grain,
        And earth, and air, and rain.

-------------------------------------
    As it is with birds, so it is with humans. We are part and product of the natural world. We are alive between birth and death, when our elements gradually disperse, perhaps to be re-used in other living things. Consciousness doesn't necessarily imply separation of 'soul' from brain, far less any continuity of 'soul' into a future body. That is an article of faith which some find convincing and comforting, and others don't espouse.

True we may just merge with everything in the cosmos
      some lines from

Sea
      How much magic do you hold?
      With you in the end I will mold.

Then you have masters like Khalil Gibran in the Prophet says he will come back
      Know therefore, that from the greater silence I shall return.
      Only Almitra was silent, gazing after the ship until it had vanished into the mist.

And when all the people were dispersed she still stood alone upon the sea-wall, remembering in her heart his saying,

A little while, a moment of rest upon the wind, and another woman shall bear me."

I dont need to know my past life -not important for me. :)but I am tired and dont want to come back smile

8. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago

I don't think there is tongue

Okay, can you please give reason(s)?

9. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Who decides who reincarnates or do we all? I find it hard to believe that anyone will die and come back in another form decided upon by karmic baggage. If someone carries a lot of negative karmic baggage, do they return in the form of a lonely sea critter situated at the bottom of the ocean?

You are the creator ,that is you manifest to fulfill your desires.So long as you have desires  you will come back.According to some philosophies yes you will come back in another form to complete that desire. smile

10. Shil1978 profile image86
    Shil1978posted 15 years ago

In nature, you have a cycle.  Things are created, destroyed and are created again.  I view death as a transition to another form - a change of mass (physical body) to energy (the soul) and I believe this to be a cyclical process (reincarnation).  Mass - energy - mass.  There certainly have been examples of people, from around the world, who have remembered specific details of their past birth.  Perhaps, the most well known amongst these cases is the example of The Dalai Lama.  It is a fascinating subject and requires more research.

11. jkfrancis profile image61
    jkfrancisposted 15 years ago

Like most religious beliefs - from Judaism to Catholicism to Islam to Buddhism to Hinduism etc. - they were started from 4,000 - 2,000 years ago, give or take. Reincarnation falls into this category. Unfortunately, the leaders of these religions have been more concerned about maintaining their authority in claiming these beliefs to be unchanging than investigating them.

Rather than just going along with the belief that we actually come back as ourselves, perhaps a more modern theory/belief would be that what we do while we are alive has an impact on the world that follows us and in that way we "come back" or perhaps, live on. This at least would give us an incentive to make a positive difference in the world we live in. This also fits in with humankind's respect for our ancestors, burials, and honoring those who lived before us.

This would make a big difference on how we look at ourselves and the importance of us individually as to how we affect the world and the future. What have we done in our lives that affects the world so that our influence is reincarnated or lives on? For example, Buddha has had an important and dramatic influence on the world that followed him. Does he have to actually "become" again to relieve that impact?

Rather than "just" individuals who have been "created" by God to eventually honor him forever in heaven in eternal pleasure, as Christians and others believe, we would have a better purpose in our lives than some vague/believed promise.

Who we are and what we will become have been questions that have been asked for millennia, yet those ideas/beliefs have not been allowed or encouraged to change. Perhaps investigating these questions with the knowledge we have accumulated over the last 2,000 - 4,000 years without regard to the "authorities" that have stifled investigating those questions would come up with better ideas about them.

Humankind used to believe that we were the center of all that is. We now know that we are just a small - though not insignificant - part of the universe. How we fit into that picture is something that deserves consideration.

jk francis

I like what you've written here jk.  It also bodes well with the concept of a 'spiritual' evolution, ie how we transform ourselves. Who we become - hopefully better human beings.  Though I think we're doing a terrible job when you look at the world today.

The sad truth I see is that in modern times what has been written is now just dogma.  Having the experience is what's important.  In those ancient times experience was normal, now it's not.  We buy into what we are told  and that becomes belief.  But that is not knowledge, knowledge only comes from knowing, knowing is from experience.  Having a past life experience is knowledge, it's an experience but to have it requires bypassing the dogma.  How frustrating. - Mike this is where chitta becomes rampant.  We have to sift through all the dogmatic literature that is lodged in us before we actually find truth.

I'd love to be around when you have such an experience, it's truly life changing - that's if you can let your blah blah minds let you believe it!  This is what I came up against when I was having them.  When in the space, no question, no doubt.  A few hours later, I'd minced every experience, put every if and but in front of it and decided I was deluding myself.  I learned not to get caught up in "it's a past life, and I was a warrior" syndrome, and started looking at what was behind it and what I could use from it.  That's when the wow moments come.

That was a bit off into my own stuff there.  But my understanding that I continue, my consciousness continues was cemented when I had those past life experiences.  What I did in past lives effected this life.  If I can overcome in this life, the next (hopefully) will be more fruitful!  Though saying that - it's like a game of Russian roulette.  How do I know how much I have transformed?  Is it a Transformed Soul?  Is it Enlightenment? - Though understanding Enlightenment has become a vague term to most and I shudder whenever I write or see the word.  Is it a fully awakened human being?  Massive questions and only answerable inside each individual.

I have to look after this physical body because it's the current host of my consciousness - literally, I'm off to the gym. Hope to return soon!

12. Shil1978 profile image86
    Shil1978posted 15 years ago

JK - Investigation of reincarnation hasn't been stifled by anybody.  In fact, scientists have carried out research into it.  Do type in the keywords on Google and find out the number of studies that have viewed reincarnation positively.  The "authorities" that you speak of don't exist.  Are you saying that the Dalai Lama acts like a dictator and prevents his people from anything??

13. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

Could it be possible that someone that believes that they have been reincarnated from a previous person not just be, as someone else put it the "chattering of the mind"?  I guess we will never know for sure in this life.

Yes MM, this is common.  Lots of people say they are the reincarnation of Cleopatra - geez!  Here though it's common to regress back to the time of Cleopatra and that's what people pick up on.  That's why discernment is needed.  At the end of the day who gives a continental.  What's very useful in these experience is the continuum that comes with it.  I've done allot of therapy with people and I get a bit tired of the stories - they are exhausting.  What's useful is how  it relates to a person's current life.

14. Jewels profile image81
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

"One story goes that a child cries immediately when he is born.The reason -oh no not again."

One experience that is common for many is that of being in their mothers womb, and just prior to that a sense of falling.  The falling is verbalized (ie peoples experience) as the descent into life, the experience of reincarnation.  And that experience is replicated many times as a great feeling of disappointment.  I sometimes wonder if this accounts for the fear of falling that is one of the top phobias we have.  Even if people have never had an experience of falling, either off a swing, or out of bed, they can still have this fear.  Same with the fear of heights - is it one and the same thing - heights and falling?

Why is there that saying of "Falling from grace."  Was it the separation of the sexes and the resultant Fall?

Then again - have you seen the way some of those babies are yanked from the mother and onto a cold sterile weighing scale.  Who wouldn't be shocked and want to go back into that warm snuggly womb space. smile

Some sages say that a child remembers where he has come from .The reason he or she cries is because they understand this dimension is that of pain and that they are back in it once again.
      Like Paramhansa Yogananda says when he was dying- grieve not for me as I am going to a place where there is no broken bones,excruciating heartache and disease.
      When one crosses over they understand this planet is not such a great place.

In this world we are all referring,
      To sparks of happiness and flames of suffering. smile

The bliss one experiences in being one with the light. smile

15. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

*facepalms*

16. Jewels profile image81

Then again, it is understood also that this planet is as divine as the rest and it is as much an honor being here than anywhere.  It is sad to go through life feeling our human existence is about getting out of it!

This understanding is wrong .It is possible only by someone who knows only this dimension and not God dimension
      .Then there is nothing to compare so the man with ego will cling to this  life ,this planet ,scared of death that doesnt exist.
      The wise will wake up to the suffering around him like the Buddha and wait patiently to go home . smile

I don't believe my understanding is wrong - perhaps wrong in terms of your understanding.  But then you need to define what you mean and see and experience as "God dimension."
        There are a myriad of dimensions, a myriad of states of consciousness. You can live on this planet in a much better or higher state of consciousness;  where the only desire is to leave is not part of that state of consciousness.  You can be in bliss and still not be one with God yet feel as if you are.  In duality, this human experience is only one of many.

A wise person doesn't wait patiently to go home, a wise person engages will to ensure his mind is in a state where going home is one of ease and not disease.  Disease can be carried from one life to the next and until ones dis-ease is unravelled, that state of purity will not be reached.  Even while walking on this earth, one chooses to either endure suffering, or transcend it knowing there is suffering but not be effected by it.  At the end of the day the only one you can transform is yourself and by your own virtues and state of being can you be of true service to others.  Healing others and forsaking yourself is a waste of being a healer if you are left unhealed.

Forget it be happy smile

smile

17. ask dr sen profile image59
    ask dr senposted 15 years ago

reincarnation-the clever tool for control

the whole world functions  via control
    the boss controls  his employees
    teacher controls  students
    wife controls husband or  rarely vice versa
    mother controls children
    politicians control laws and land
    religion controls people
    nowadays  television controls people.

what is re incarnation?
      the pros- are   energy cannot be destroyed  it can be transformed  so scientifically  even as per  einstein theory energy  will be transformed   even after death. that is the point  reincarnation tries to drive
    the cons -are     the same body  or  same individual in  another body is a  big humbug.  this is because then  there was  no evolution or  embryology science.

we think we are fully evolved  but  we  have  not
    we have  not understood alchemy only chemistry  and we say from alchemy  chemistry evolved

same way we say philosophy evolved from religion  when it is the other way around

we still have  no scientific understanding of astrology only astronomy
    same way the science of healing  and cosmos we have no idea

immunomics  and   energy meridians  in our  own body we are unable  to decipher.

so  let us analyse the science of metaphysics   to understand reincarnation  where the energy is  transformed at will.

We may have to wait till hell freezes over before science can give proof.  And because science uses mostly physical instruments to prove or measure, how is it going to measure something non-physical?

It's very difficult to have an intelligent discussion on topics such as astrology and it's relationship to astronomy for example.  As soon as I put forward possibilities of understanding, even from an experiential standpoint, it is quickly quashed by the science forum.  They are different in that one is physical - planets and stars, moons, black holes, galaxies, and are measurable by the use of mathematics and measuring instruments.  But when speaking about the emission of an energetic influence, even if mapped, eg 1000 people had the same experience when looking at Venus for eg, it comes under the name of pseudo science which for many scientists is nonesense.

Proving the existence of reincarnation comes down to peoples experiences.  It's not provable or measurable except by consensus.  Then the skeptic will come in and question anything that is a swayable argument.  So be it.  I like the skeptic because discernment is one of the most useful tools to 'keep the bastards honest' and protect the gullible.

The study of consciousness and having experiences where consciousness is separated from the physical body is an awesome knowledge to have.  (As energy cannot be destroyed, in your context consciousness is energy and it is this that cannot be destroyed.)  Yet, unless a person has the experience themselves, there is no way they can be convinced.  It's a useless exercise and I think it should remain that way.  It's one thing to have faith, and in many ways faith can be dangerous if you are swayed by bad winds.  It's much more powerful to have experience, regardless of whether someone else believes you or not.  Experience is the most powerful form of knowledge.  We can do ourselves a favor and be open to things outside our explainable square, that's how we learn more.

18. knolyourself profile image60

"The Fact is that there is nothing like incarnation because the Bible says it is appointed unto man once to die and after death the judgment." Don't really care much what the bible says.

19. profile image52
    indianabobposted 15 years ago

Good evening fellow hubbers,

Re-incarnation in the most simple terms is to return to the life one had before death.

Resurrection in my view has the same dictionary definition.  Some may disagree thinking that various life forms may be the fate of the individual depending upon their sins.

The question then is, in what form do we live again?  In my view of the basic Judeo Christian belief, that would mean to return to life as you were the moment before death except with a new, equally mature physical or perhaps a spiritual body.  To return to life in a physically perfect body, no lost limbs or necessary organs, OR to return to life in a spiritual, immortal body that is the gift of the creator God, if that is the creator's will for a particular individual.

In any case the form of life that will be evident if one is resurrected spiritual is at present unknown.  Spiritual means not visible to the human eye and like the blowing wind etc.

How is this possible?  It is a miracle of the creator and we know only enough to give us hope at this time.  In any instance however, the person will live again with memory of their former life, limited to what the creator desires that they recall and having full powers of observation and communication such as vision and hearing and the ability to appear to those who are yet physical when permitted by the creator.

All of this can be found in the Jewish/Christian Bible if one takes the time to investigate and if one has been given spiritual understanding by the creator.

I know that I am assuming a lot, but I appeal to one and all to be patient with me while we investigate together.

Thanks for your interest, Indiana bob

20. Jewels profile image81

The Fact is that there is nothing like incarnation
    because the Bible says it is appointed unto man
    once to die and after death the judgment........

Good Lord delords, you may think this is fact - it's your fact and hence your belief.  Happy afterlife to you and may your judgment be pleasant.

21. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

Reincarnation is illogical to me. It does not answer the question of "why". For instance, if a person did not achieve their level of "holiness" or "karma", they get to come back as a chicken or goat or cow. This then continues untill they "ascend" to a human, and hopefully, one day attain eternal status, (a god). And then.....?
    So, how does that coincide with the population growth (explosion), and th extiction of species, and the (mass) destruction of living creatures, like sharks, tuna, chickens, cows, mosquitos,...you name it. Do they thenmove up the scale? If so, let's kill more and more! (sarcasm mine)!
    It's a useles futile cycle of torture, where the person being "recycled" doesn't even know he/she is supposed to learn something in the process. All the while, some god/s are haveing the time of their life, enjoying the "show".
    lol lol lol

It's an interesting one about the evolution from animal to human. I have never experienced a recollection of a four legged creature, though I have seen structures that are fish like - please spare me the nutter remarks!  I was gobsmacked when I saw this.

The population growth is one of the main arguements around reincarnation and it's not one easily answered.  Speculation is there that we are only one species of beings (human beings) that exist.  When you talk about consciousness, the form it takes is not physical. And if you understand that we are 'spiritual beings having a human experience' that opens the door for any spiritual being to have a human experience, ie incarnate in the human form.  One has to step outside the box for that one.  But why not?  It's like saying we humans are the only inhabitants in the universe.  It's a darn big universe, very arrogant to say Earth is the only rock with intelligent life forms.

I'm not Buddhist, whilst I understand their belief that animals evolve into humans, I don't spend time looking.  I sometimes question some human being's behaviour - very animal like at times!!

That question WHY.  Yes,  for Godsake WHY?  Not answerable. It's what keeps philosophers occupied.

I see the cycle of reincarnation as quite logical.  A bit like going to school, if you pass your subjects you go up to the next level until you reach high school, then college, university.  If you fail, you could repeat a class.  If you're really bad you may have to sit in a corner for awhile until you get back on track.

The world is full of suffering and at times it's torturous.  And I'm sure there are higher beings looking at us laughing themselves into drunkenness watching how silly we are.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

Yeah, but look at what you think is "logical."

Original sin. God's only son sent to save you. Eternal bliss for those that accept and eternal damnation for everyone else.

I mean...................

1. aka-dj profile image64
        aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Logical? Yes, if you start with the (correct) assumption. For you, it is illogical, because your starting point is, "There is no god"! Vice-versa for me.
        Don't like it?, well . . . .  what can I say. hmm

No. I just find it ironic that you find an alternative opinion "illogical," when you are starting from a faith-based assumption.

Bit like the use of the words "facts" and "correct" - As you have probably worked out - this is one of my issues with religions. When you "assume" that you have "facts" that are "correct" then "logically" every one else is "wrong".

Hence the wars and the killing and the hating. And there is no way to stop this once you "know for certain" that your way is "correct" and "the only way to be saved from hell."

If I "knew" this was "right" I would try and make everyone else believe it. At the point of a gun if necessary.

For their own "good."  lol

As religious zealots have done throughout the ages. History books are a wonderful thing. You can learn stuff from them. Which makes you question things. Which means you find your own answers. Not the ones that come ready packaged on a plate. Usually a collection plate. wink

Sorry to ruin your argument, but I have never killed anyone. Nor have I tried to convince anyone that my way is the only way, especially using a gun.
            However, I STRONGLY believe there is (A) truth, which neccessitates the existance of lies, or "un-truths" as polititians like to call them. My quest is to learn/discover (that) truth. I think I am well on my way, but just as God is an incredibly awesome Being, I doubt I will but "scratch the surface" of that one. cool

Well, I wouldn't call completely missing the point ruining my argument. In fact, quite the opposite. I think you rather made my point for me. You are not interested in history.
              cool

2. Shil1978 profile image86
            Shil1978posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more Mark.  Nicely put.  Questioning is important.  The assumption that one's beliefs are correct / should be correct / can't be questioned, etc and the conviction that the other's view or belief has to be wrong and shouldn't even be entertained is one of the reasons for the many conflicts we find ourselves in.

Yup. But when you believe - you are not interested in listening to this. I watch all these guys arguing over who is "right," which necessarily means everyone else is "wrong," and I have come to the conclusion that they are all "wrong," the moment they add a personalty and a set of rules.  lol

3. BDazzler profile image77
            BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
            C. S. Lewis

There you go. Not just me that thinks this way then. I see the Jews and the Catholics are getting back into it again over who said what when, who reinstated who, whether the Vicar of Christ knows what is going on, and whether the one who was kicked out and then let back in again is allowed to say what he thinks, even if it is rubbish, which is rather entertaining considering they all believe in a magical, invisible super being.

And you wonder why I think you are all wrong?............. big_smile

1. BDazzler profile image77

I don't think I've ever defended institutional Christianity.  And if I have.  I was wrong. 

Belief in God? Yes. Belief in Jesus? Yes. Miracles? Yes.  Individual pastors? Yes.  Church organization in general? Nope. Specific congregations? Yes.   Individual Catholics? Yes. The institution known as the Catholic church? Nope. 

The secular institution masking iteslf as being of Christ? Nope, not me. I'm as against it as you are. It is an offense against God.

I'm also a bit bemused by Christians who expect non-Christians to act like Christians and have Christian values.

I can't say that I have met many christians who "act like christians," or hold "christian values."

Or at least as I understand what that means. So I don't see how non-christians behave any differently to christians.

But think about this - without institutional christianity - there would be no christianity. See where I am going with that?

1. BDazzler profile image77

My brother and I have had the same debate ... so, yes, I see where you are going, and since my brother is an attorney who is married to an attorney, I know I can be "out logic-ed" on that issue. (That doesn't make me think I'm wrong, something else I've learned from these family debates is that one can successfully argue a totally wrong conclusion in an air-tight way.)

Since you begin your thinking on premise on the axiom of the non-existance of God, you can logically come to no other conclusion. 

I begin with the axiom of the existance of God, my conclusion is that the instutituion known as "Christianity" is a corruption of God's original intent.

Since we begin with different axioms, it would not be logical to expect us to come to the same conclusion. 

I am currently reading a couple of books on church history to flesh out my thinking on this topic.

Ooooo, I like that. smile

22. knolyourself profile image60

"It's a useles futile cycle of torture, where the person being "recycled" doesn't even know he/she is supposed to learn something in the process."
    I agree. But then so is sittin' around on a cloud for an eternity. Which is worse? Still if there is elevated consciousness and one cannot recognize it,
    one cannot make a decision in reference to it, if there is choice in it all, and is
    stuck where they are.

That's not at all my concept of Eternity. Don't know where you got that misconception. It's one that (far too) many people have.

Like this statement: "if there is elevated consciousness and one cannot recognize it."  This is one of the main reasons for doing meditation, or understanding states of consciousness.  It's very useful, if I can use such a material description.  In the process of death, there are phases to go through and if one is totally oblivious to the surroundings, one is lost.  It's like landing on the moon with no map.  And to make matters worse the physical structure we are so used to having, falls away, so even our arms and legs fail us.  Our voice doesn't work.  You don't have the external senses to rely on.  So that leaves consciousness.

And for those who think, yeah, I will know what's good for me and I'll be attracted to high states of consciousness and I'm going to a good place, take a look at who gets attracted to what down here - and thinks that attraction is a good one.  sad

23. knolyourself profile image60

"That's not at all my concept of Eternity."
    What is your concept?

I will have to write a hub on that one. I can't do it (even a little) justice in a forum like this.

2. aka-dj profile image64

Here's a hub that covers some of my thoughts on that.
      http://hubpages.com/hub/THE-ETERNITY--L … -AND-EARTH

24. knolyourself profile image60

You hit a very many of the points, most of which I agree. I fool around with this stuff myself. Cept the dream astral thing. Trying to control dreams gives me night mares, as Carlos Castaneda in the words of Don Juan, said it would.

I'm not good with the dreams myself, in fact I rarely have them, or remember them.  The only ones I remember are those that are of a prophetic nature and so when I do remember one I take particular note of them.  Interestingly there seems to be a loud voice saying "take note!"

But it appears that the dream state is not necessarily one to control, but one to observe and then know that you are observing.  Particularly as some people seem to experience allot or have a very active dream life, it makes you wonder what's going on.  But having said this, being the observer, to have consciousness in these spaces allows you to move through them and not get caught in them, unless of course you want to.  Doesn't mean you have to.  I wonder if the dream state is something not to be controlled.  Makes me wonder.  In my experience, by the way, the dream state is like a movie in the sleep state, it's not necessarily all that there is.  It is one of those layers hard to fathom regardless.

25. andrewpeterson profile image59
    andrewpetersonposted 15 years ago

No, I strongly believe that there is no such thing like reincarnation

1. Shil1978 profile image86
      Shil1978posted 15 years agoin reply to this

While you are free to have that particular opinion, you can't make a definitive statement like that.  Its quite impossible to state with certainty that you don't believe when you can't possibly have all the facts on this issue.  So, the proper stance would be to be neutral on the issue - pending further facts!!!

26. countrywomen profile image59
    countrywomenposted 15 years ago

Copying from an earlier discussion on similar lines. All I would like to say is that there are so many things which are based on faith which seem logical to those who believe and illogical to those who disbelieve. On most of the matters of faith there is very little to verify except for the faith of the individual at least on reincarnation there is some remote possibility of verification. wink

27. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

History?
    I'm VERY interested in "His-story"!! lol lol

Exactly. Thank you. cool

You like that?

Well, its funny so yes. tongue

28. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

And I wanted to share - I thought all you believers might enjoy this one -

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/turkey-letter.jpg

29. knolyourself profile image60

Jewels: I dream every night. Wake once, twice, three times always dreaming.
    Most I do not remember. But I do not mess with my dreams, don't try to interpret them. I just let them be. But usually what they do is work out my self-made philosophical problems in symbolic form, and are very helpful in that sense. I do have a recurring dream, not exact, but same theme, of which I am not sure what the reason is. Mostly they are fun.

1. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Although I don't remember having dreams but when I do remember they are far too realistic wink Btw here is a link for recurring dreams: http://www.janeanderson.com.au/library/ … dreams.cfm

30. profile image50
    eastridge33posted 15 years ago

Mr.Knowles  one can not see a manifest with ones eyes closed.
    Go hang out at the (BIG BANG THEROY) test let me know what happens.

lol

Apparently you can see a manifest with your eyes closed. In fact - it appears to be vital. wink

1. profile image0
        jgrimes331posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Apparently you can see a manifest with your eyes closed.  In fact- it appears to be useless.wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)