Help with "Xomba"

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 16 years ago

I'va just noticed that one of my hubs is on a site called Xomba.

www.xomba.com

Why is that? and how did it happen?  I am completely lost. 

Thanks.

2. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Xomba's down for maintenance right now, but from what I saw elsewhere online, it looks like a HubPages copycat. If your article is up there, and you didn't put it there, you need to report it to the site administrators. Someone copied your hub and put it up on Xomba. According to reviews of Xomba, the site splits Adsense money with its writers 50/50. So someone over there is making money on work you did.

Usually, there's a "Contact Us" link somewhere on the homepage where you can report stuff like this. If you want it taken down, contact the administrators. Give them the URL of your original hub, and then the URL of the Xomba copy. Tell them you are the original author, and that it was posted on Xomba without your consent.

Good luck. Let us know what happens!

3. Princessa profile image81

So, while Xomba's site is out for maintenance... I just wait?  Wait until the page is up again and then contact the admin.?

Thanks for your reply Vanderlinden.  It is very frustrating things like this happening.  I hope it can be sorted.  But, how can they know that I was the original writer? 

Is there any way I posted it there by accident?  (ok.  I am not that daft yet... I hope!) but could it be done somehow automatically?

4. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61

It looks like you'll have to wait---they don't have any links  on the maintenance page they have up.

As far as proving you're the original author, it's a good idea to also include the original date you published the hub in question---they should be able to tell on their end when something on Xomba was published. Undoubtedly, the copy will have been published after the original smile

Most sites have policies against plagiarism, and since Xomba is claiming to be a site for writers, I'd imagine they have one, too. I know that someone recently copied some hubs of jimmythejock's, and he wrote to the site admin. The copies were taken down and the person who posted them had their account suspended.

I highly doubt you posted by accident. Unless you black out every once in a while wink

It is frustrating. I hope it all gets worked out quickly!

5. Princessa profile image81

Thanks for all your help and rapid response smile

6. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61

Anytime smile Xomba's back up, BTW---and their TOS specify no copied material. From Xomba:

Good luck!

7. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Some of my content is being linked as a Xomblurb, I just sent a message to the site asking that the content be removed as the submission was placed without my permission.  *sigh*

Princessaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I am in the same situation, and not sure how I feel about it...

I may follow your steps and do the same, joining Xomba... but it sounds a bit like cheating.   Is it allowed?

8. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61

It's always something. I looked at the Xomblurb FAQ and it says:

So, on one  hand, it sounds like a good deal since it's supposed to be like a social bookmarking tool. On the other hand, without putting any real work in, whoever posts the link to your article gets Adsense money from it. Not sure how I feel about this yet. Any opinions?

9. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61

I'm thinking it might not be a terrible thing, because you could argue that anyone we link to in our hubs we are kind of making money off of as well. Except that we have to write an entire hub to get paid, not just submit a link......

Princessaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a valid point.  But we write something original and have a few links.  We do not base a whole hub on a link to another site.

BTW still not sure how I feel about it... I suppose at the end is driving more traffic to my hub... 

Any ideas?

10. gamergirl profile image84

I think I may take control of this situation myself by joining Xomba and submitting my articles before anyone else can try and make money off of it, though Hubpages' Alexa ranking is much higher.  (Hubpages - 2632, xomba - 7774)

11. gamergirl profile image84

I don't see where it wouldn't be allowed, but I may be called out on that.  From what I see if you post their snippet thing it would be the same as your content being submitted to stuff like stumbleupon or digg.

12. gamergirl profile image84

Well, except that stumbleupon and digg don't pay Adsense money to their users.. so, errrr, gosh, I don't know now!

Maybe paul will poke his head in and let us know what the official Hubpages stand on it is?

13. Princessa profile image81

Paul .....  where are you?

14. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image61

I could be wrong, of course, but a link is a link, whether we got paid to submit it or not. So I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with us signing up over there to submit Xomblurbs for our own hubs. I like gamergirl's idea of beating them to the punch by submitting our links ourselves, and making any adsense money that comes from that.

I'd much rather see Hubbers make money off of submitting a link to their work than see someone else profiting by doing the "easy" part of submitting a completed hub. It's probably not a huge deal either way. It's just one of those weird little things that seems to pop up every once in a while big_smile

15. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

From what I can see, I don't think your going to make much money directly by submitting xomblurbs.  I can't find where the ads are that they supposedly sharing revenue on (for the xomblurbs).   At any rate, If you want to submit your hubs I think that's fine.  I'd suggest that you only use a small part of the text of your hub in the blurb (or better yet, new unique text), so that you don't run into duplicate content problems.

If you try it, let us know how it works out for you.

16. Princessa profile image81

Thanks Paul.  I have submitted one of my hubs with low views to see whether it makes a difference or not.  It might worth the effort...or not!  will see.

17. djtphn1 profile image74
    djtphn1posted 16 years ago

So actually my corset article is on google first page, #1 spot and the url is that of that xomba site....the link includes the title of my hub and some text, but I am credited as the author and it links to hubpages, it is not copied there....are you guys saying this is a bad thing when it links to my hubpage article....

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Time may tell, but at the moment I don't think it is worth worrying too much about.  I'd be more comfortable with it if they copied less of the text.

18. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

If anyone else is going to join xomba please feel free to use my affiliate link :-)
    <snip>sorry, no promotional links in forums</snip>

19. profile image0
    helenathegreatposted 16 years ago

Done, Lissie!  Though I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but I signed up through you.

1. Lissie profile image74
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!

20. djtphn1 profile image74

Once again, thanks for always answering my questions Paul.

21. spuds profile image57
    spudsposted 16 years ago

Looks interesting. I might check it out.

22. coolbreeze profile image43
    coolbreezeposted 16 years ago

Hubpage network is set up so we can excuse me but whore out others content.

This is how you will get alternative traffic and links that lead to you.

Thats why is says link to this page and offers you to use your coded link to the hubbers site.

I am promoting tons of hubbers on many different networks   (All White Hat I might add)

Isnt that what the network was designed for?

So we could all use each others talent to make money.  I think its brilliant.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but it is very important that we all respect the rules of the sites that we promote HubPages on.  We don't want to wear out our welcome or have our community cast in a bad light.  Unfortunately, the actions of a small minority have the potential to drag us all through the mud.

23. Princessa profile image81

It has been 24 hours since I joined Xomba.  I am only experimenting with a couple of hubs, but to be honest, I do not see much difference yet.  At least not enough to be worth the effort hmm

Will see in a couple of days

24. gamergirl profile image84

Indeed, Paul.

On the Xomba front, I have posted two of my hubs as xomblurbs, these two are part of my 'best' section, so we'll see how it goes.  I have decided against posting xomblurbs to all my hubs so I don't get seen as a "spammer," and will be monitoring these hubs to see how the progress goes.  I will update more when I see results. smile

25. djtphn1 profile image74

I just rechecked my article that someone put on Xomba and it actually does NOT have me listed as the author....it still does have a link to my hubpage article, but what do you think, should I complain....it is still on the first page in the #1 spot on google, that may change, I know, but don't know what to do at this point.

26. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

I looks OK - I found  the one on xoomba and its a blurb? for your article and they haven't even copied the first few lines word for word - I think you have a fan!

27. coolbreeze profile image43

Sure Paul I understand, We all have a vested interest in hubpages and I do observe the rules of the other networks.  I think I am one of the few people even attempting promoting other people hubs. Or the only one admitting it?

28. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

I think there are some others that do.  In the big scheme of things back link growth is the throttle that will regulate HubPages traffic growth.  If content growth (hubs) outpaces back link growth, the average traffic per hub will decline.

We're starting to think about more ways to bring together those that are great at creating content with those that are great at promoting content.  It seems like there are a lot of people with one skill or the other, but people that have both skills are somewhat rare.

29. coolbreeze profile image43

Yes I would agree with you Paul, I know I fall some where in between. Promoting is just plane work to me ;-)  Hub pages has really helped with my writing.

I wanted to ask if we were ever going to get credit for showing Videos through Adsense.
    Thank you
    Rik

30. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

I'm one who could use a lot of help promoting hubs. I'm trying, but not getting too far. Is it too much of a stretch for HubPages to consider hiring someone (or several) on staff to promote hubs that have potential for greater traffic and ad sales?

31. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

Is this site similar to a bookmarking site? I just checked it out, and I'm still confused...

It looks like you write a short paragraph, insert the link to the full article, and that's it?

32. profile image0
    JimLowposted 14 years ago

I'm offering the following advice to fellow members here, to simply point out that you should be cautious with some content sites out there.

I pulled my content off of one of them for a second and final time just this week. I'll leave them nameless but they caused my adsense to drop off of all my articles, with the other 50% of them still running so that the site still made revenue. I confirmed this with google adsense channels that showed the very day my part of the ads were stopped.

I had posted a series of articles on religious subjects from Bible perspective, in their "religion and beliefs" category and while I certainly can't say this caused them to do this, the timing was suspicious. If this is the case, this would mean that they are trifling with members by using punishment type methods if they rub them the wrong way, even if they are within confines of their stated posting policies. I hope I'm wrong about it and it was just a coincidental fluke both times it happened to me at the site.

The site has a space in member's profiles for placing your google adsense ID number and warns "if there are spaces before or after the number, your adsense won't work". It has made me wonder if they use improper posting of the number as an excuse to stop a member's adsense from working. They mentioned this to me when I emailed them about the issue but if this were the case, the ads would not have appeared on my posts during my 50% timeslots for weeks and months, then suddenly have stopped.

I've seen other former members of the same site attest to similar incidents that caused them to leave or to be improperly banned.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, so please don't take this post in the wrong way. I'm just pointing out that you should always pay close attention to what's going on with your articles and proceed with content sites, whomever they may be, with caution!

I'll end in saying I believe HubPages to be an honest and highly ethical site and I've been completely happy with them for the approx. year and a half I've been a member here!

1. sunstreeks profile image80
      sunstreeksposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing jimlow that you mean Xomba since this is where you posted about the content sites you wont name?? Don't know what to tell ya about why it would work for awhile and then stop, but in any case if you enter your adsense ID wrong it only makes sense that no one is obligated to make sure it is right.

If you don't enter it in right, then adsense doesn't know to credit you for the clicks. It sounds like 50% of the time the content site was putting their links on, and 50% they were allocating the ad links to the adsense id put in but if it was wrong, no one was earning (or someone was if they had the id that was mistakenly entered)

Regardless, I have been using xomba for a little awhile. I have 13 xombytes and 9 xomblurbs. Earned $1.99 so far just from today from xomba.

I still do better at hubpages  and prefer the freedom of creating pages with pictures, videos, amazon and ebay, but its good if your trying to diversify where your articles are coming from when your trying to take on a specific keyword and dominate the serps for it with article marketing.

33. profile image0
    JimLowposted 14 years ago

You described it exactly right, as far as how it occurred. The thing is, it worked correctly for weeks and even months at a time before the mysterious glitches occurred. It wasn't until the second occurance that I removed my content permanently.
    I write for several other sites in addition to HubPages, including HowToDoThings and BellaOnline Thyroid Health. I get to affiliate link and earn adsense on other sites and this has never occurred on any of them.
    The correlation of when this occurred and what I was writting about was just too coincidental. I could still be wrong but even if it is a glitch that can occur unexpectedly, that was still enough reason for me to leave the other un-named site. Without them I was making between $150.00 and $175.00 in adsense a month (last months was $196.00).

It's too bad too because I was linking here a lot and planned to network away, so will have to use other avenues. I need to get back busy with Delicious and other social bookmarking sites. I've had friends invite me to Twitter, so may do that soon as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)