Keith Olbermann suspended:

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (52 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Olbermann was suspended without pay indefinitely from MSNBC for contributing money to 3 democratic candidates. Gee, I sure will miss him! Do you think he'll be back?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … redstories

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not know if he will, sense he suposidly broke company polocy..?
      not sure, but it sounds fishy...

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not think he will be offered a sweet, sweet, deal at Fox?

I bet he wishes he would though.  lol

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prolly not, but you gots to admit - it would be a killer show! Hmmm...maybe literally! lol

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Olbermann, as a matter of principle, wouldn't take an offer from Fox.

1. habee profile image92

Olbermann has principles?? Who knew?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Olbermann, Matthews, and Maddow are just as bad as Hannity, Beck, and Limbaugh - they just "analyze" things to conform to a different ideology.  MSNBC and Fox should drop all pretense of being news organizations and admit that they are shills for their respective parties.

4. JWestCattle profile image59
      JWestCattleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I sure hope not.  Unless he comes back on Saturday Night Live, where he plays himself ad nauseum..........ha ha ha, he's never been anything but a laughable and freakish dolt, they must have been looking hard for a reason to fire him, as he surely was a growing embarrassment -- kind of like Joy Behar, can't wait until that crass and rude gal gets the boot, it is long, very long, overdue.

2. TamCor profile image78
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

Wow....well, I, for one, won't miss him... smile

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Tam, you DO know I was using verbal irony, right?

I know a GREAT job for Keith! Remember Hannity and Colmes? How 'bout Hannity and Olbermann? It would be the greatest show on cable!!

1. TamCor profile image78
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol...Yeah, I understood, habee!!  big_smile

Olbermann on Fox...oh my gosh...I'd pay to see that! 

lol

1. habee profile image92

So would I, Tam! I think it would be a smart move for FOX.

Oh it would...put him on with Charles Krauthammer--talk about the Odd Couple, lol...

1. habee profile image92

Krauthammer is a genius! (NOT verbal irony this time!)

Oh, I agree, habee.  My husband, sons, and I all feel the same way about him--we could listen to him talk for hours. smile

Krauthammer is an evil neocon genius.

Oh, if only there was a "just the kind of reaction I expected of you" smiley....   lol

2. Gene.Mulhern profile image61
      Gene.Mulhernposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd pay to see that! But Hannity is too much of a coward to have Keith on.

3. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would be priceless. Might consider that the last event at an MMA match. I would pay my hard earned money to watch that. I realize that the policy of MSNBC was to not let there quote unquote reporters not give to candidates, however this just seems wrong.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

When I first saw the headline on this, I assumed it was because he was being a dork.

But then I found out it was because he had exercised his civil right to contribute to candidates of his choice. An employer should not be allowed to do that to someone. In the case of news/commentator personnel, the news organization can always just tack a disclosure blurb someplace.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Anybody remember Joe Pyne and Whiffinpool (or whatever his name was)?

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Tams, how ya like Ralphie's cosmetic work??

Well, can I just say "no comment"...  lol

Ralphie likes your new look!  How about a shot of your "Winning Wedgie Techniques?"

7. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

I've never watched msnbc or fox new and would never trust a comentator that gets paid millions to push a certain agenda.  Olbermann's suspension may seem harsh but he agreed to his company policy. 

According to that article in the OP his show was geting 1.1 million viewers in October. I don't think he'll have a problem getting back in or finding a new position somewhere else. He's proven he can draw an audience, regardless of your politics.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

He'll probably be back soon on MSNBC where he has lots of loyal fans.

1. habee profile image92

I used to watch Countdown sometimes...until Keith bashed Hillary.

And having lots of loyal fans doesn't mean your show is good - look at Beck.

Very true. But the Olberman fans are smarter and better informed than Beck fans.

1. profile image60
            logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not saying a whole lot is it?

Actually it is. Olbermann has been right more often than not.

1. habee profile image92

Being "right" in politics is subjective. lol

2. profile image60
                logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to him.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

If FOX got Olbermann opposite Hannity, they could change their motto to "Fair and Unbalanced." Two crazy zealots on the same show! lol. They'd probably end up killing each other.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

That's my daughter. She's single now.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Really?  I'm married but my wife and I kind of have an "arrangement" that could be applicable here.  Does your daughter happen to be into old fat bald guys with little ambition and even less money?

If so, what's her number?

1. habee profile image92

Sorry, Ron. I want her to find a nice-looking guy who's about 30 or so, with a good job! She says she wants to be single for a while, however.

I really hope she finds a nice guy. She's such a sweet girl, and she's funny, has a good job as a nurse, and she's also a great cook and homemaker.

Is she attracted to older men?

10. profile image0
    Charlotte Tingleposted 13 years ago

the first rule of professional journalism is impartiality, not to mention ethics. students learn that during their first semester.

suspended?

he should be fired.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty harsh. Journalist or not and Olbermann is not a journalist he is a comentator with a stated political agenda which is why people watch hime in the first place.

There is no rule that says journalists cannot donate to a political campaign except the arbitrary rules made up by the company he works for.

By that standard Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews would all have to be fired. NBC has every right to fire Olbermann, and their viewers and advertisers have every right to object. It does seem silly to suspend him. After all, he's and avowed liberal Democrat, and he is a reporter, not a commentator. It might have been smarter for NBC to have a little talk with him about complying with the rule, unless of course, they are bent on backing off a bit on their evening lineup of Democrats in view of the election results. Larry O'Donnell was added recently. He's less strident than the others, and probably smarter.

1. Flightkeeper profile image65
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Larry O'Donnell may be less strident but he's not less paranoid than any of those libturds on the show.  It was incredibly hilarious that he built up a fear scenario around Rand Paul and how he singlehandedly would prevent the debt ceiling from being raised and "wreck havoc on the world financial market". lol lol

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Are you sure you meant to say that?  Keith Olbermann is certainly not a reporter; he is paid to offer his opinions.

Thanks, Olberman is a commentator, not a reporter.

3. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I heard that too Ralph. Apparently, Joe Scarborouhg gave money to a Republican, but he ASKED them about it first. Just a point of you have to follow the rules is all.
        At least they have these rules. It would be nice if Fox did. Instead of being so blatantly biased.

And MSNBC better no get rid of him! He's the ONLY one who speaks for me!

1. habee profile image92

Rachel doesn't speak for you? I like her show, yet I hate Olbermann's.

4. habee profile image92

Ralph, I thought the timing was a little coincidental, too. I'm certainly no Olbermann fan, but I don't think he should have been suspended over this.

JWest, whre ya been??

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Agreed, Ron.
    As such, if Fox "commentators" are allowed to donate to candidates (not to mention the network itself EMPLOYING candidates) -- in all fairness, MSNBC should also allow its commentators to donate.
    At least set a non-journalism standard that's fair on both sides lol

12. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Did you see Maher?

"Keith Olbermann is right when he says he's not the equivalent of Glenn Beck. One reports facts the other one is very close to playing with his poop."

ahahaha......

Ha! Very true.

13. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

If you owned 90% of all media, what would you do with it?  What power do you think you could have?  What trouble do you believe it would cause?  How many people do you think you could influence?

If someone called your news station biased and deceitful, what proof would you have outside the media to back it up?   

- several opinion blogs influenced by the same network?
    - several internet trolls who are paid to make sure that you have the opinion they need you to have?
    - radio stations that appeal to evangelic voters
    - churches who only listen to conservative radio and shows like 7th Heaven?

FX, who through their arrogance makes it well known they [fox] have more viewers then CNN and MSNBC combined who will tell their viewers on their shows to not let their children watch MSNBC because what they might see might scare them so that they never will watch it.

For what purpose would they do that if MSNBC has such distastefully low ratings?

And if you can find a resource outside the media, what source do you think the viewers of fx are using? 

- the bible

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes sandra...Consolidate and Control.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's so quite here.  Hmmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)