Homeless Veterans

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. doris sage profile image60
    doris sageposted 13 years ago

We amass weapons to defend other countries; raise millions of dollars to send to victims of tsunami, earthquakes, etc.  Thirty-nine billion dollars has been spent on a fence between Mexico and U.S., however our most valuable assets are living on the streets.  Men and women who have given of their lives and waged war on foreign turf to protect us are homeless today.  When do we care for our own?  No other country is going to care for our citizens who pay taxes, who went to war in good faith, believing our country would care for them once they returned from war, but now they are challenged by their personal tsunami.  No company will get rich helping our veterans, but don't we owe them?  Our tax dollars should be allocated to doctors, nurses, students who make it their priority to cure PTSD, Depression, Schizophrenia and numerous diseases that face our veterans attempting to return to normal life.  Precious tax dollars should be spent for housing, food and health for veterans to be rehabilitated and set back on their feet. 

We are considered a RICH country, but we are very POOR in the most meaningful ways.  We treat our animals better than our Veterans.   dorivt1

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile big_smile

However, I would like to let you know, you have to be more careful with where you place your posts.

I have reported this post to HubPages Staff, because your OP(opening post) and Title needs to be moved to the appropriate category.

You have posted it under "Report a problem" category. Yes, homelessness is a problem, but it's not a problem on HubPages.

Just thought you should know. smile

Do not open another thread- HubPages Staff will move this thread to the right one.

1. doris sage profile image60
      doris sageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't mind you using my user name, but I don't want my full name on screen. 

I'm sorry about posting this in the wrong area; I'm just getting acquainted with HubPages.  I enjoy writing about what is current in life.  Is there a tutorial I can follow to get this right?  I suppose once I get used to it, it won't feel like it's such an ordeal.  Thank you Cagsil

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

When you open a forum thread- at the top of the post, you have to enter a category for it.

Each category on the forums, are labeled on the left side of your screen. Each title(category) has sub-forums also. This is so you can assign a specific category to your post.

Sometimes there is more than one sub-forum, but you pick whichever you think is appropriate.

If you take a look at the top now, as you read my post, then you'll notice that HubPages Staff has already moved the thread.

Forum rules: http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

HubPages FAQ: http://hubpages.com/faq/

I hope that helps. smile

3. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Doris, the Department of Veteran's Affairs is doing something:
    http://www1.va.gov/homeless/

But there is a pride thing going on too and some of these veterans just don't want anything else to do with the federal government.

I'm a veteran and one of the charities I donate to is the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans http://www.nchv.org/ it's not a lot but I figure every dollar helps.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, they could do more. I am not a veteran, but most of our charitable contributions go to veteran causes because both my wife and I  think it is inexcusable to give these people anything less than everything that is at all possible.

I detest war and think this country has made far too many mistakes in that area, but that is not the veterans fault and they deserve everything we can do for them.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand how you feel. Being a veteran I find it appalling that there are so many veterans returning to no or limited support systems.

You cannot heighten a man's killer instinct, send him off to be a warrior, and then expect him to return to his pre-military personality without confronting any internal or external conflicts.

We use to have a great support system. We use to pre-screen our recruits to evaluate their mental capacity. And, at least in the Army I served, we had the camaraderie of our fellow soldiers to get us through any difficulties. 

@ Doris Sage  what I meant to say is that the returning and distressed veteran has to want and accept the help that is offered them. In most cases, pride and distrust of the government will prevent them from looking into the resources available to them.

4. doris sage profile image60
    doris sageposted 13 years ago

Richard,
    "Pride thing!  They don't want anything else to do with the Federal Government."

I understand, maybe.  No I don't really understand, I know that a good number of people live on the streets due to mental issues, addictions, etc..  It's easier to blame our issues onto someone/something else rather than to face it and move out of a bad rut, depression, .......,.......  illness????????

5. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

Doris, you are correct and also incorrect.

"We" do not want any more ad-inhume evaluation from the VA mess.

I do not want to be handed a blue pill, by a 24 year Old kid that can not even find the D.. country I was sent to on a map!!!!

I do not need a P.A. to tell me I am hurting or in stress or depression. I wanted that when I came back, to complete it, find an end to it and get it over with then.

If this will aid in understanding, Here is a real excerpt from a Chaplin's separation briefing I went through at march AFB when I Came home.
    I taped it to write of it later, if I could.

"Quote:

Good Morning Gentleman, and welcome Home. I am Maj General Michael J Farley; (Father Farley to most of you Men who know me)

I know some of you are wrestling with what went on over there. But I want you to know God understands what happened there. What happened to you. It was not real!

He understands that all of you did what was honorable, and just in serving your country, For in doing this monumental task, you served your God well.

You See Gentleman, God forgives war time actions, he knows and Understands your actions were necessary. You were placed in a non human condition against a non-human enemy, and He forgives you for all discretions..?".....

there is more, but I am stopping here.

I taped the speech it goes on and on in ramble form. but you get the drift I hope. When I felt i could I wanted to write about it all later.

Now, I ask you. With Idiots like that, do you really think the VA and or the Military can even begin to help anyone in need?

Do you think there is healing in things like this? With Civilian Doctors, PA's and Nurse practicioners that have never fired a gun or been fired at?
    Goverment workers concerned about the paperwork, not the Person.

When an organization like the Army sends out  Christmass messages that read;

From Maj General ........
    You will have a Merry Christmass and you will enjoy it!

Do you think there is any Human understanding there at all?

And do you think the welcome home party, and the Minister or Priests visit and Your Mom and Dad parading you all over, and your Uncle's gathering telling War stories really helps you at that time?

Can you possibly feel, maybe why some one would retreat from that world and want to leave it, at a time like that?

In a combat situation everything speeds up to slow down, it is like you are watching yourself from another place. You are moving, reacting, doing it by fear and instinct, but you are not you.

after its over, you try really hard to put yourself back inside you. The sucessfull ones heal, some men can not.

Can you really feel that?

The ones on the street, those who could not put themselves back inside themself?  I am not sure those men want to be reached, like people think they need to be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)