Are you travelling more?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (25 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

In this current economical climate, are you travelling more and taking advantage of cheaper deals or are you avoiding vacations in general? I'd love to know

1. ccdursina profile image67
      ccdursinaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I am in the travel industry, and got trapped in my own hotel business, however, I took the time this winter - when it was slow and went overseas!

It wasn't necessary that we got a very good deal - for January, not really!

I don't see a much difference in my booking so far, so, people still travel as the usual, - at least in this area where my hotel is.

Happy traveling!
      Carolinad

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I recently flew to Boston for an extended weekend/wedding trip.
      my vacation over the summer turned into an extended one...

2. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

I need a vacation; got cabin fever bad!!   sad
    There's no money for a vacation this year.
    The stock market took care of that!

3. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Definitely traveling less & its driving me crazy.  After I started wandering here and there every few months, it's really hard to stay put and molder around in one place.

Even if it is for 3-4 days, getting out and seeing another area of the country (or world--though that's hard in that amount of time, obviously) is sooooo worth it.  You can keep acquiring too much junk and stuff--but I like to have my travel--its almost like a drug, and then it's always nice to come 'home.'

4. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 15 years ago

Traveling?  Great irony.  I live in a camper, and can't afford to take it anywhere. . . .

5. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Are you planning to travel more when deflation hits?

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I am a traveaholic so unfortuantely those frequent flyer miles certainly help smile

7. AshleyVictoria profile image61
    AshleyVictoriaposted 15 years ago

Gas prices are going down (in my area, at least) so I plan to travel locally in the very near future.  For example, I live in Los Angeles and am currently planning a road trip north to visit Napa Valley, San Fran, the redwoods, etc.

8. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

Am traveling the same amount but that's because I live and work in China.  You want to escape from here on the long holidays.  If I was living at home I'd probably be traveling less.  Mind you, I'm a bit of a gypsy so would probably make a plan.

9. writer83 profile image58
    writer83posted 15 years ago

Not travelling !!! I am stationary at the moment its far too costly to travel.

10. Treasured Pasts profile image71
    Treasured Pastsposted 14 years ago

Still traveling with vacations already planned three years out and reserved through next March. Raising a family we couldn't afford to travel. Now we do it to preserve our sanity.

11. Kadmiels profile image51
    Kadmielsposted 14 years ago

In south america I travel quite extensivly as well as central america and still do as well. Becuase i love it and write about my experiances and my exploits. smile

12. LRobbins profile image45
    LRobbinsposted 14 years ago

My travel habits haven't changed much as my boyfriend lives 8000km away, which means travel every few months.  I'm also very fortunate to have a stable job.

13. E. A. Wright profile image74
    E. A. Wrightposted 14 years ago

I've traveled more this year than in the past two.

14. carenmorgan9 profile image61
    carenmorgan9posted 14 years ago

traveling is my passion . I simply love exploring new places new hotels new locations and as I am quite lucky that my work allow me all of that .

15. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

As an ex-pat living in Costa Rica, I am obliged to leave the country every 90 days so as to renew my visa. So, I was "obliged" to visit Nicaragua, and more recently, "obliged" to visit Bocas del Toro in Panama. Oh the strain and inconvenience of it all (:-).

16. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 14 years ago

In the past year alone, I have made my way to Medina, TX (outside of San Antonio) twice, Jupiter Island, FL once, I've taken 3 separate, overnight, trips to Connecticut...and I still have one more trip planned, and paid for, to San Anotonio for Thanksgiving. 

I'm making myself tired just writing about it!

17. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Definitely traveling more and enjoying it. if I stay in one place for more then 1 month or 2 i go crazy!!

18. profile image55
    home-swappingposted 14 years ago

This is the best time to travel as most hotels and resots are offering excellent packages.

19. TPTravel profile image72
    TPTravelposted 14 years ago

I am definitely traveling more this year and next year than I have the past two years. The prices are very good to many destinations I haven't seen yet like Australia. I am definitely trying to make the most of the down economy and stretching my dollars to get the most bang for my buck.

20. shriash profile image60
    shriashposted 14 years ago

I like travelling.

21. Meaningful Minds profile image59
    Meaningful Mindsposted 14 years ago

I think now more than ever people should travel.  I don't care how broke I am, I WILL always find a way to get out of dodge each and EVERY year. It is a must to keep sane!

Now it's just harder, BUT I figure it this way, if you plan a year out, you put like even $50.00 away each month, that's still $600.00 you could easily find a week getaway for that much...if nothing more than chilling at an all inclusive.....

I just got back from Cancun in June, and the pandemic flu scare caused alot of hotels to shut down for a month, and or made the prices drop to next to nothing.

I am an online travel agent part time, and even if I didn't get great agent rates, I do see alot of things going down almost to 80%.  It's good for the travelers, but not for those whom had to lose their jobs!!!

And as for airlines....there is NO DEAL!!!!! That is bound to go up in the future comings!

22. europewalker profile image77
    europewalkerposted 14 years ago

Can't afford to travel right now.sad

23. sannyasinman profile image60
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

In the last twelve months I have been to . .
    Costa Rica
    Nicaragua
    Panama
    Japan
    Switzerland
    England
    USA

. . but not because of cheap deals, I simply needed to travel to those places at the time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)