Christian woman sentenced to death in Pakistan 'for blasphemy'

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (40 posts)
  1. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 13 years ago

A Christian woman has been sentenced to hang in Pakistan after being convicted of defaming the Prophet Mohammed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … phemy.html

Anybody have a view about this?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks like a modern day image of old world intolerance. Perhaps one day Pakistan will learn one of the many lessons that America learned over two hundred years ago.

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Another glowing account of the love of Allah hmm

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

That story reminds me of what the Christians used to do to the "witches"!

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years ago

How dumb do you have to be to do that?

Yes, it's wrong and I hope this can be prevented.  But you don't do things like that in primitive countries.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pakistan is a primitive country?

1. Misha profile image63
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For a primitive mind - certainly smile

3. profile image0
      Whikatposted 13 years ago

Pardon me, if I am wrong or sound insensitive, but it was my understanding that if you were born and raised in Pakistan their culture and traditions believe that your life can and may be sacrificed for Allah at any time. Why should a Pakistan woman who calls herself a "Christian" be above the customs and laws of Pakistan? Do you believe that because she calls herself a "Christian" her life should be spared for her "Christ"? Perhaps her life is more important than say,a small child who was raised to believe in "Allah" and is not raised as a "Christian". Because the media does not care about the many deaths of children who are raised to believe in "Allah"  should a non-Christian child take her place in the hanging?

4. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I am against death penalty because life is precious and valuable! Maybe she can recant what she said -- and she should respect other culture, to shut her mouth amidst other culture in their own land.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What did she actually say, pdh and pcu?  I have read the linked article twice, and if her words were there, I missed them twice.  Was her statement in another article, perhaps?  I am very curious about this.  The particular article did not give enough detail to enlighten me. 

There was one statement that said the mob (!) indicated that she had spoken ill of the prophet Mohammed.  What does that mean?  That she said she did not agree with his teachings?  That she did not wish to follow the religion of the country where she lived? 

The incidents reported in the linked article began when she was sent to fetch water for other field hands, and they refused to drink it because it had been brought by her, a Christian, and was therefore unclean.  Everyone please enlighten me.  Where was the wrong?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Some of the women workers had reportedly been pressuring Bibi to renounce her Christian faith and accept Islam. During one discussion, Bibi responded by speaking of how Jesus had died on the cross for the sins of humanity and asking the Muslim women what Muhammad had done for them".

I don't in any way agree with what they did,  other people are extremely sensitive when it comes to their religion or Gods..it is what they live for..

Thank you for the information, but where did you find it?  It is not in the linked article. Did you do some further research and find this?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
              prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this
              1. kirstenblog profile image77
                kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for adding a bit of detail to this story, it does help to know more facts.

Not that it makes any difference to my opinions of religion, my opinion of course being that they all are an embarrassment to God. hmm

1. earnestshub profile image80
                  earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is mankind that they are an embarrassment to.

Tomato, Tamato, either way, they are an embarrassment to themselves, humanity and any divine beings that should care to take notice hmm

2. profile image0
            Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with your opinion Prettydarkhorse. According to this article http://www.persecution.com/public/newsr … zdG9yaWVz. ""On June 19, there was an intense discussion among the women about their faith. The Muslim women told Asia about Islam, and, according to VOM sources, Asia responded by telling the Muslim women that Christ died on the cross for our sins. She told them Jesus is alive. “Our Christ is the true prophet of God,” she reportedly told them."

It is unfortunate that it is always the same battle, the my God is better than your God syndrome. sad

3. earnestshub profile image80

and what they kill for.

Lucky then that while my God Is better then your god, my god has a sense of humor tongue

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Should Muslims shut their mouths amidst the Christian culture? Should we all just shut our mouths amidst the religious culture, perhaps? smile

5. Rishy Rich profile image72
      Rishy Richposted 13 years ago

When a Muslim does something wrong, You blame Islam. But when a Christian does something wrong, you refuse to blame Christianity.  hmm

My view is: hypocrites should not be allowed to judge others.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

UP.

6. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Um, from what I read in this article, the biggest problem is the fact that whatever this woman was reported to have said is a case of their word against hers, that she says she never said anything blasphemous. I find it very disturbing to think you can accuse your neighbour of what is basically the equivalent of a thought crime and get them executed. If this was an OK thing well I would start saying that so and so has threatened to kill the pres or some such nonsense. I mean its not like she named a teddy bear Mohammed or allah or anything roll

7. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Thank you, pdh; I appreciate the added link with its added information.

There was at least one discrepancy between the two articles - that is, the number of children the woman has.

As to aguasilver's original question, I want to throw out this quote from the article he linked:

It appears that the sentencing of the woman is more of a tool for intimidation and politics than an actual death sentence.  Not that that makes it a good situation, but it does shift my concerns about it.

8. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

No person should ever be murdered for a belief or lack of it.

Mass insanity.

1. Disappearinghead profile image59
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you Ernest.

I just don't understand the mentality. You just can't get inside their heads or even begin to fathom how their minds work.

I don't think their minds work at all!

2. earnestshub profile image80

Instead of thinking, they just seem to run on hate.
          There is little difference between their way of "thinking" than the Taliban who are killing christians in Iraq as we speak.

1. profile image0
            Whikatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Earnest,
            I understand that Killing and dying in the name of some "God" or other deity is an emotional issue. However, a quick research would show that "Christians" are guilty of just as much blood shed as any other religion. To be honest, I am getting a little weary of all the publicity "Christians" receive in the U.S about how they are innocent, Martyr's if you will, and every other Religion is hateful. "Christianity" has never been "innocent" of hatred and blood spill.
            Example: "Apr 4, 1998 - Christianity's greatest shame is the history of our participation in or our approval of acts against the Jewish people. The accounts of Polish youths screaming at Jews headed for extermination that their suffering was vengeance for the killing of Christ is as much an atrocity as ... "
            From THE CHRIST-KILLER IN YOUR HOUSE - Related web pages
            pqasb.pqarchiver.com/mcall/access/28485379 ...

All religions kill in the name or for their "God" sad

9. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years ago

Fundie jews and christians are just as opposed to logic and reason as are muslims.
      Their programming runs indelibly deep.
      I've had conversations with reps from all 3 major monotheisms and they all adamantly refuse to use logic and reason in ref to their beliefs.
      "Intellecual" ('course I've never yet met an "intellectual monotheist) chat with them is like throwing a BB against the Great Wall of China and hoping it will fall...lol
      They are a disgustingly frightful lot when ya figure they constitute the majority of extant humanity!
      Qwark

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a myth that they constitute the majority of humanity - they are a small minority who appear much bigger than they are because of their aggressive behaviour and loud  mouths.  Most people they 'claim' for their belifs have enough cultural affinity or history to be vaguely christian or moslem but not in any way the 'same as' them.

It is time that the 'rights' legislation was used properly against christians who spew hatred, reacism and homophobia and put a few in jail for it,  all of them if you like but I am trying to be more moderate these days and so have to stop short of burning at the stake, stoning, the rack and all the tools and methods religion has used on us, the people, over history.

Well said China man! How could anyone in a country like America even admit to not being christian?

These loud mouthed loonies would have them murdered or set about destroying them in some way because they are the only "good" people on earth.

Their stupidity is nauseating.

I understand that this is getting off-topic, but I just want to comment that for much, if not all, of my life here in America I have had friends who are Jews, atheists, and agnostics, and now some who are Muslims and neo-pagans.  I am acquainted with people who are Hindus and Buddhists.  In the area where I live there is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery and a center for people who practice Wicca, as well as a mosque and a synagogue.

Your question/comment "How could anyone in a country like America even admit to not being christian?" is poorly informed.  Sorry.

No, that's OK! I am happy to be informed, and that sounds like a nice neighborhood to me. You are right of course, it was a sweeping generalization. smile

Thanks for responding in such a kind and thoughtful way.

I really do understand why it would seem to be just as you thought, because of all of the strong and opinionated comments expressed here in the HP forums.  And the degree of acceptance of other religions (or lack thereof) definitely does vary from place to place.  It's a big and varied place, America is. big_smile

Even in the Deep South, often thought to be the most conservative section of the country, generalizations don't necessarily hold water, even though a lot of Americans don't realize that!  Growing up in Mississippi, my mother had Jewish friends in the 1920s and 1930s.

I have spent a bit of time wandering around in the States and (with gaps) have taken in a fare bit of it through chatting with locals. (my favorite pastime)I made so many good American friends and learned to love and loath the people as we all do even in our own countries (met some very out of shape CEOs when there on business and some very nice New Yorkers, I would live in New York, even today. I had an offer to live there a few years ago.

I met some amazing people down south on the big river that we learned in Australian schools by rhyming it smile I love America, it's people and it's wonderful panama landscapes. I believe one could find almost any lifestyle I can think of and live it in America. Thank you for the charming response.

2. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

China man:
          This is what's scary:
          http://www.adherents.com/Na/Na_515.html
          We are a dangerously foolish species.

10. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Blasphemy- what a joke. Talk about complete irrationality. lol

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Pakistan considers itself an Islamic republic so I'm not surprised that they are intolerant of religious minorities.  This is not the first time it's happened.

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I often read about women getting stoned for adultery over there.
        In my country women get stone first and than commit adultery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)