Site Update - HubTool and more

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (65 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 13 years ago

We recently rolled a few changes to the HubTool Interface.  Among other small changes we:

1. moved all the configuration tools except the title into the sidebar (you can edit your title by simply clicking on it)
    2. Made the "add here" capsule adding button that appears in the left hand column more obvious

We've got a few more HubTool adjustments in the works, look for them in the next week or two.

As frogdropping discovered we've also started displaying recently asked questions in topics that you are following on the my account page.  If you click the X you won't see any for 24 hours.   We also won't always have appropriate questions for you, in which case nothing will appear.

Recent questions are only lightly filtered, so while there are many good questions there are also some strange ones (feel free to flag those).  When someone asks a question on HubPages, we think the value of an answer to them diminishes quickly with time.  This change is an experiment to see if we can increase the speed at which people with questions get quality answers.

As usual, please let us know if you run in to problems with these changes (or have any suggestions, complaints, or good things to say about them).

1. PierrePierre profile image60
      PierrePierreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the add tool is very nice. But the tool to reorder capsules once placed in the right sidebar is deleted. I feel a bit troublesome when i want to reorder my capsules.

2. funride profile image67
      funrideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even though I haven`t been around the forums for quite some time I couldnt stop myself from congratulating the entire Hubpages team - Thanks guys! You have done a great job so far.

The title tuner was one of the updates I love the most, it`s fast but effective.

After almost 3 years (next month) I find that Hubpages has grown and I like the way it did... it only got better!

I only wish I got more free time to write more hubs sad

3. ajcor profile image60
      ajcorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really like the fact that I can change my hub titles...last week I changed the number allowed or indeed those the tool brought up for me and my adsense dollars seemed to rise as a direct result - ( I didn't employ any other method to enable this) so now that I can use this tool/method to change some of the older hub titles I will once more take note of the adsense account . Although to be honest, my adsense is nothing to write home about it is still nice to keep an eye on it and take note when it appears to be influenced for the better!   cheers and thanks for all the improvements you and the hub team keep coming up with...

4. JohnBarret profile image60
      JohnBarretposted 13 years agoin reply to this

These improvements have made Hubpages a [b]better place[b] to live.
      cool

5. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know where to write the summary for my new hubs...where is the space to write it now, after these new changes ?

I don't always want my introductory lines to be the summary for my articles :-(

6. Barbara_tenBroek profile image60
      Barbara_tenBroekposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since this change has ocrured I can not get my hubs to publish.
      Any Help?

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

As always - bringing in improvements and innovations.  Good work!

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I saw the question thing-- that's a nice one. Guess I have to go and write a new hub to see the others.  smile
    Thanks.

4. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

I couldn't change my title.  Are we not able to change our titles now?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have always been able to change titles. I've done it many times. Can't change the URL, though-- that is in cement. Title and url do not have to match exactly.

2. Simone Smith profile image87
      Simone Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To edit the title, click on the text of the title, and you'll find you can edit it big_smile

1. skyfire profile image81
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot for this reply. I was going to start new thread just for suggesting that.  XD

By the way this update makes hub editing faster than previous interface. smile

5. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

These things finally showed up in my account.  The Answers thingie:  I exed out of it, just to see what would happen.  Is that permanent?  I had assumed it was more like a toggle switch and that I could turn it back on somehow.  The question wasn't important, but I just want to know for future reference.

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did the same. A new question appears after about a day. smile

6. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 13 years ago

The changes are almost as awesome as the changes you guys made with the photo a ftew weeks ago, which ny the way I am stlll like a kid in a candy store with that feature.
    The news things we got today look just as promising.

If these is the treats we get for Halloween. . I cant wait to see what is in store for Christmas smile

7. livewithrichard profile image70
    livewithrichardposted 13 years ago

Wow, I really like the changes. I published 2 hubs earlier today and the changes had not yet been made.  And, I was editing an older hub that has a lot of modules and I added and changed some and though how much easier it would be if we could move the module to where we wanted it instead of move it up and reorder.  It's like you read my mind...lol  Keep up the good work and I'll keep on publishing.

8. Jerry G2 profile image91
    Jerry G2posted 13 years ago

Is there going to be any option for going back to the older method of revising modules, or are the new tools set in stone?  I'm finding the new system frustrating.

9. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I am having a problem with the new arrangement - my "reorder" button doesn't work. The editor will let me move the elements around, but when I click "reorder now," it closes without reordering the capsules.

I have tried in Firefox and in Chrome, and the button doesn't work in either button.

Any help for this?

1. Simone Smith profile image87

RedElf - I played with the "reorder" tab and can't seem to duplicate it... it seems to be working @_@
      I'm no particular expert in these things, but have you tried clearing your cookies and having a go at it again?

1. RedElf profile image89
        RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have cleared cookies - the function will not work in either of my browsers

Will see what else I can try

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't work for me either, RedElf

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

RedElf, it seems to work in Firefox when I am at the HubPages office, but I tried it here at home and you're right, it doesn't work. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I'll figure it out. For now, please use the arrows on capsules to reorder. Sorry for the inconvenience!

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Update: I believe that this has been fixed.

10. beth811 profile image76
    beth811posted 13 years ago

I have problems with reorder button and editing titles

11. RedElf profile image89

Otherwise, it seems like a great idea - much cleaner interface

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

12. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

Funny cause I don't seem to have a reorder button at all in my edit mode, is that intentional?

You'll see that under the "add more capsules" box in the top right corner is another box with several tabs.  It's set to tags by default, but you can click on "reorder" to see the reorder interface. 
      Also available with those tabs is the interface for changing settings, your hub's summary, and your hub's group.

13. nasus loops profile image64
    nasus loopsposted 13 years ago

Changes are always worth a try and usually good news.  So I think it is great that you are trying these new ideas out.

14. Thriller profile image61
    Thrillerposted 13 years ago

The add tool button is really welcome change from the hanging bar as I can now add capsules as and when I need without having to scroll or re-order the capsules

Yeah, though the hilarious thing is it was there all along! It was just WAY more subtle- heck, I didn't realize it was there until someone pointed it out to me.  This one is the same as before - just much more bold!

15. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Here is a repost of what I posted in another thread earlier. This thread appears to be where I should have posted it in the first place.

Just an FYI to the Higher Power (HP): smile

When I clicked on the Reorder tab and then the Reorder Now button, an erroneous warning message came up informing me that I was about to exit the edit page (among other things). The good news is that it did not follow through on the "threat".smile

1. TinaAtHome profile image66
      TinaAtHomeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got that too.

2. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

Thanks for the report. I don't see the popup, so it must happen only with certain browsers. I will track it down, but in the meantime, just click "ok" and no harm will be done.

3. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF

An update just went out that hopefully fixed this problem. Are you still getting the popup message?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is but a distant memory…smile

16. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Thanks Paul  big_smile

17. profile image52
    coldwinterposted 13 years ago

this a good sharing for us. thanks you very much.

18. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Are there any plans to update or alter the 'Answers' section? That is the main issue many have, and the biggest area that needs improvement. The little stuff is sometimes beneficial, but sometimes it's a waste, like the Hub Hopper. *shrugs* my 2cents

19. michifus profile image58
    michifusposted 13 years ago

The add a unit option is superb, and will save me loads of time thanks for that.

Nice, neat, tidy and easy to use - love it.

20. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I just published a new hub and went back in to edit it and was like, whoa!  where's the top part where I can edit the summary, etc.....I quickly found it and then came here when done to read about the obvious updates...I like them!  Great stuff once again, HP!

21. Cheeky Girl profile image65
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

I have used the features in the tools on a new hub, and they are cool. The tools are getting really good! And I got a weird question that wasn't really a question so I cancelled it, but it's nice to have as it will make more people move around more and ask questions. CHEERS!

22. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Really like the new features!  Piece of cake now to add capsules!

23. snakebaby profile image64
    snakebabyposted 13 years ago

Just asked a question about the change in a separate topic, found this update thing after that. Maybe my hubs not showing in timely manner has something to do with the changes?

Do like the "add here", supposed to make thing so much handy, though have to try it later to get the feel. But thanks regardless

24. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I see that the Questions now include a link to the hub where the person was reading before asking.

That is somewhat helpful, but still confusing for both the hapless user (who may have no idea that they are not specifically asking that hubber) and for the hubber (who doesn't know that someone asked it while at their hub unless they stumble upon it).

If you notified the hubber, that might help, but I really think you need to make it crystal clear to the people leaving these things that the place for specific questions is comments (when available).

25. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Pcunix, that was updated with the last site update.

Making a hub seems slower, especially adding capsules.

26. travel_man1971 profile image62
    travel_man1971posted 13 years ago

I've seen the changes when I'm doing my latest hub. Thanks for the info, Paul. big_smile

27. HSanAlim profile image60
    HSanAlimposted 13 years ago

Terima Kasih HubPages - Thank you very much HubPages for the latest site update. I started noticing new things yesterday - questions in places they did not used to be - and got excited. It just felt like a larger site up date was in process and voila here it is.

28. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

I just updated an old HubMob roundup hub.  My sidebar and reorder button were MIA.  I used the "add" tool to add 6 link and photo capsules, and it was one of the slowest and most painful experiences I have had on HubPages. 

I love the idea of the add tool, but it only seems to work immediately after updates.  Then it just doesn't work for me.  I add and use the capsules, then when I reorder or publish, the added capsules are always at the bottom and I have to manually move them up anyway. hmm

29. tonymac04 profile image71
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

The new tools have worked fine for and I like them.
    Thanks to the team for keeping HubPages constantly improving. Great work!

30. Purple Perl profile image50
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Improved Hubpages is welcome! Love it!
    Neater sidebar and I loved using the Title tuner for all my old hubs.
    Thanks to Hubpages team! CHEERS!

1. sampatrik profile image58
      sampatrikposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ya i also liked the new changes which are made in the website. It makes easier for hubber to work. that to hubpages team

31. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I like the changes you have introduced over the last few months.

To start with it takes me a bit longer to figure out how to use the new features but once I have got use to them they are making hubs and adjustments much easier. I was a bit puzzled when I first went to edit a title today, but working on my latest hub today
    (my no.150) I found the arrow to add texts,photos etc. much quicker to use. The photo collection is also making putting together hubs a faster and more efficient process.

Just wanted to say great and thank you very much really.

32. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Just wasted a couple of hours trying to edit one of best performing hubs!  The capsules would not stay put when published and the preview didn't work either!  The old reorder section was gone so I couldn't use it either!  My hub ended up looking terrible but I finally gave up on it!

I'll try again tomorrow!

33. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

Hi, I have been away for a few days and just started my first hub since getting back today.  I absolutely love the new Hub tool, it is so easy to use and navigate but could someone please tell me how to edit the summary if I do not want the automatic version (I cannot find where to change it).  Thanks so much for all the great tools you are giving us.

34. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I'm loving the new tool, so easy and I love the ease in adding new capsules.

Alison: the information is over on the right hand column above the tags, under settings.

1. Alison Graham profile image93
      Alison Grahamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks so much Uninvited Writer - found it! Brilliant :-)

35. RedElf profile image89

Halle -AMAZING - lujah!

Finally, the "reorder now" button is working properly in both browsers. Thank you, Fawntia, and HubPages for sorting out the bugs.

I had decided to give it up as a bad cause, but then thought I'd give it one more try, and it works as it should now.

Thanks big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

36. RedElf profile image89

Fawntia The reorder now button (it works, it works!) snaps shut and the setting goes back to the first tab by default. Is there any way the tabs can stay open until we change them manually oor exit from edit mode?

I know it's cheeky to ask for extras, but just wondering if that is possible?

37. rowni profile image57
    rowniposted 13 years ago

Earlier we could see the links to profile page and Account page in the edit Page. Now it is no where to be seen in edit page.

Reorder Button is not working properly.

Other than this everything seems perfect.

38. Peggy W profile image94
    Peggy Wposted 13 years ago

I love the new changes!  Makes it so easy to add capsules exactly where one wants them instead of having to reorder them after the fact.  Thanks!!!

39. compu-smart profile image89
    compu-smartposted 13 years ago

I really am thankful for the new updates which allow me to add a new capsule with ease.. I just wish I had this new tool 500 hubs ago!, but like all things in life, they are better late than never:)

40. profile image0
    jagat02posted 13 years ago

The add capsule works beautifully....makes designing a piece of cake.

41. LillyGrillzit profile image78
    LillyGrillzitposted 13 years ago

Thank you for all of the updates. The "Add" tab is very helpful to me. No more having to rearrange, simply add or take away capsules, another benefit, when adding 'text' for advertising space, the add does not cause such a "self-adjustment" on the page. The old way could knock my set-up off badly. This way, I see what moves, and to easily line up links, photos, videos and text.

Thank you HubPages for providing so many Tools for writers! The Best to all of you and yourn.

42. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

Re questions on my account, we have an opt-out:

http://hubpages.com/my/requests

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)