Are birthday celebrations just for kids?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

We are having a birthday lunch as usual, when older members of the family have a birthday, we all get together at my daughters home to celebrate, because this is where 5 of my 6 grandchildren live, and we do that for several practical reasons.
    It is safer and easier to deal with all the kids at home, and they have more time to get ready for the "party."

My daughter has a big house and yard so everyone can bring their pets and they can play outside with the children.

Having 5 kids and me living at my daughters house, we have a huge dining table and the kids all have their own computers, so a lot of time is spent installing new games and updating equipment when the family gets together here.

My daughter loves these family gatherings and we always have a good time, but we can and do arrange these get-togethers around birthdays.
    I am one of those people who forgets to notice their own birthday and always gave, so to me it is more about an opportunity to see everyone together than a celebration when it is an adult birthday.
    I guess I feel that birthdays are more important when growing up, as kids are seeing their own development with each passing year. Adult birthdays? Most of the adults I know wish they had a few less birthdays!

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds nice.  Don't know what it is like but sounds like a dream.  smile

1. profile image0
        Wendi Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you know what it's like Sandra?  Do you not celebrate birthdays?  I'm just curious.

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The party has been going a few hours, and I am enjoying it. I still have a chance to pop back here though.
        I am just getting a present for the 18 year old and will return for the cake being cut, and in the mean time play with the little ones, who seem to be enjoying the party heaps. smile

2. tiffany delite profile image73
      tiffany deliteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

my kids are teenagers, but we have always done the same thing for birthdays over the years. we typically have cake, ice cream, a couple small presents, and a few friends and family over to the house for birthdays, and that is about it. for the adult birthdays in the family, we do pretty much the same thing...cake, ice cream, simple presents, all with friends and family.

really, it is just a matter of what you want to do and what kind of traditions, if any, your family has. i think it's fine if adults want to celebrate their birthdays with a big "shindig", but i always think it's hilarious when adults get all "butt-hurt" because this person or that person didn't show up to their birthday party. i personally won't go to birthday parties that are held in a bar because i don't care for that kind of environment at this point in my life. for house parties where alcohol is involved - sometime i will go, but i show up and leave early!

2. Joy56 profile image65
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

so yu answered your own question, it seems they are for everyone.

3. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 13 years ago

I love birthdays Earnest.  I'm one of those people who calls my loved ones at 7am to sing "Happy Birthday" to them.

I also start the countdown to my own birthday about 11 months early!

Despite my apparent lack of interest in birthdays, people like yourself who are all inspired give me a huge lift! I had a friend once like yourself, and he almost turned my attitude around when he rang me and sang "Happy birthday" on the phone. smile

4. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I enjoy birthday parties for the kids.  I had so much fun creating my daughters gift box to send to her on her birthday smile

My son's is right around the corner and look forward to a bunch of teens invading the house for a pizza party.

For me, I'd rather go out for a quiet evening with the family than have any fuss.

5. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I always looked forward to my birthday until a certain age.

I have never cared about mine, even as a kid, apart form birthdays, my family gave gifts when they had money to do so, which was not always on birthdays. We never had that much control of money as I recall. It was hard getting paid at all sometimes as dad was a logging contractor and payments often were stalled.

6. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I don't care to do anything on mine, but I do like helping others celebrate theirs, regardless of their age.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)