Slam Poetry

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Evvi profile image61
    Evviposted 13 years ago

What is everyone's opinion on slam poetry? 
    I am in a class where we are focusing mainly on poetry as a form of resistance and a large section of the class has been focused on slam poets and how they are the highest form of resistance.  But I'm not sure if I fully agree that they are the ONLY form of resistance in poetry.  What say you?
    -Evvi, a newbie to hubpages

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think a lot of the world's beauty forms in response to a wound.  Often poetry is written around some emotion - love, rage, hate, fear, rejection - any of which can spur the poet.  Slamming, by definition, is live poetry performance.  It is only different from written poetry in that way.  The resistance part is not exclusive to slam.  So I guess I agree with your take that it is not the only form of resistance poetry.

2. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

What type of resistance are we talking about Evvi?

3. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I do not think slam poetry is the only poetry form that is about resistance, although having a definition of what is considered resistance by the group mentioned would help answer this.

As I believe slam poetry is a fairly modern concept believing that  slam is the only form of resistance poetry might be like saying nobody in the past ( prior to slam) wrote poetry objecting to anything.

4. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

2 - that's exactly right.  The beat generation of the 50s who wore only black and recited poetry in dark smokey coffee houses were all about rejecting the status quo, as were the hippies, punks, rappers, et al.  Pop artists were striking out against the traditional government structure and fluxus followed closely on its heels taking objects completely out of context with their world as a representative way of defying leadership, particularly those who juried art.  Poetry is just another art form which, in every generation, has its rebels, those who want to break away, deny the current condition or create a new one.  Slamming, essentially, is not new.  It's just poets reciting their poems from memory.  The method of delivery is a bit faster today, I think.

5. The Suburban Poet profile image84
    The Suburban Poetposted 13 years ago

I'd say "Howl" was a form of resistence... as I'm sure ya'll know there was an obscenity charge brought forward (I believe he read it aloud at City Lights Book Store in SF) which ultimately was defeated.

There are a few "Howl" poems.  Who's the author?

1. The Suburban Poet profile image84
        The Suburban Poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Allen Ginsberg

I found a poem by Daniel Partlow titled "Howl Allen Ginsberg".  Yes, indeed, I would say resistance poetry for sure.  Where was the obscenity?

1. The Suburban Poet profile image84
            The Suburban Poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's a long poem but I believe there is profanity and somewhat graphic (for the 50's) references to sex including homosexuality....

Do I have the correct poem?  If it was written in the 50s it makes a big difference.

6. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Slam poetry is just the loudest form of resistance poetry.  song lyrics used to be so until they became 'unpatriotic' and any singer beaten into obscurity, there is a fair degree of resistance among everyday poetry but normally more oblique and deep.

7. anderson213 profile image60
    anderson213posted 13 years ago

I'd say slam poetry has alot of resistence but then again i think that placeing that term also creates a stigma or sterotype that all slam poets or urban poets or spoken word poets(whatever term you prefer) are all unpatriotic rebels without causes or anarchist which is not always the case.

8. pennyofheaven profile image80
    pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

Any one got a link/can point to a slam poet/poem? Being a newbie I don't know these terms? I learn something new everyday!

1. anderson213 profile image60
      anderson213posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I got you http://hubpages.com/hub/i-cry-out-to-be-heard

im not premoting my "hub" its just to give an example
      hope it helps smile

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
        pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow thats expressive stuff! So slam is a no holds barred kinda thing.... I am still gathering my thoughts on it?

9. anderson213 profile image60

Well yeah it is but it has a more urban feel to it it has a flow more than a rhyme if that makes sense

Yes that makes sense. Flow. What does urban mean though?

1. anderson213 profile image60
        anderson213posted 13 years agoin reply to this

and urban like the same way tht rap is considered urban because it was more or less started in the citys or that the idea anyways

Ok cool! Thanks for the lesson!

10. anderson213 profile image60

to add to my last post its kind of gritty grungy its a type of poetry that you can't be afraid to 'go there' 'say that' or offend anyone

11. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I think I just discovered that some of the poems (the ones that I write but that I do not share) are probably a type of resistance poetry. If resistance is passing comment on the state of the world or the problems you have encountered, they (mine) tend to be written on topics that I have no power over but need to comment on.

This has been an interesting forum post to read.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)