Prince William Announces Engagement to Kate Middleton!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Great news eh?  Fresh from number 10 Downing Street, London! big_smile

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, we will have something to celebrate

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing better to inspire the hope of a nation - a great British Royal Wedding!  Where's the party?

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

wahooo - surely an extra bank holiday next year smile

1. profile image0

I sure hope so! wink

3. thooghun profile image96
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

I hereby decree that from henceforth, all serfs on these forums of discourse shall endeavor to refer to Lady Catherine by her christened name:

Catherine Elizabeth Middleton

*drumroll*

God save our...

((I love all the pomp))

1. profile image0

Awww... the dressing of a new Princess!  Glitter and street parties!!!

4. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Hi, I just heard and rushed over here to post it! shaz you got there first! lol so we are going to have Queen Kate! God bless her and all who sail in her! oops, sorry that's a ship launch!  all I can say is, I hope she has more luck than poor old princess Diana!

1. profile image0

No, this time we have to be positive and know that William is marrying for love  and companionship - not because he has to get hitched quick, before he falls off the pertch!  hehehe

Anyway, I Queen will get to see her Grandchild marry - it is a new hope!

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

exciting, was a date announced??

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometime in the spring or summer, I am still waiting for my invite! lol

1. profile image0

*waving my invitation!*

We are all always invited to these big doos Nell!  You should know that!!! lol

6. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Wow, that's great news!

1. profile image0

Want to dance PDH? wink

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure Shaz, hope they will show it on TV.
        I like to watch weddings specially that "one of a kind" I think they are a wonderful couple!

1. profile image0

Kate has completed her finishing school education and has been groomed for the job.  They really needed to do this for Diana, but too late now.  Looks the groomers have learned from that mistake.

The thing about a royal marriage, it is about friendship and, it is hoped, love comes later.  Whether that is the right or wrong view, that is still the view with people in the Establishment.

The modern marriage, though, might be formulated on love though?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
            prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love, ah a love -- they must have love each other to have lasted for seven years..Yes I read about them and she is beautiful -- both of them - good looking. A simple and beautiful commoner with a prince..They will make a beautiful King and Queen pair...

Days succeeding their wedding, the world will be watching many news about them etc..and for a little span of time we will be diverted to another world. I am tired of political news etc.

1. profile image0

It will be a feasting frenzy for the media.  The Government will love this, it means the media will have someone else to pick on and scrutinise!  I hope Kate is strong enough!!

I think us commoners need to keep positive about them and knock the media when they start their negativity nonsense.  We need to keep in mind, how the media helped to destroy a vulnerable girl who knew no better as she grew up in a very strange whirley world of ups and downs (talking of Diana).

Human behaviour, and the media demonstrates this, is to kick someone when they are already down.  It is like a pack mentality, engorging on other people's suffering (horrible!).

7. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I've been out of the country for so long, it all seems pretty uninteresting.

I heard the wedding has to take place next year, so as not to over-shadow the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012. Diamond? What?!!! I still remember her Silver Jubilee as though it were yesterday. How time flies. How fast life passes.

1. richtwf profile image61
      richtwfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah time does fly - Silver Jubilee in 77 then Will's parents got married in 81 and now 30 years on it will be the turn of their first son. Amazing how time flies so quickly.

2. profile image0

*sssch.... dont give yourself away! lol *

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm ... I thought of that after posting.
        Anyway, I still maintain I've never been a day over 29.

1. profile image0

Is that milleniums or years? lol lol

1. camlo profile image84

yikes ... thanks, Shazwellyn ... smile

1. profile image0

If it is a consolation - you Germans always look younger! hehehe

1. camlo profile image84

Okay - but I'm English, just like you smile

1. profile image0

Well, there you are!  How assumptions can give us a kick back, eh?  After reading your profile - briefly - a formulation of you rose to make a nincompoop of me! lol 

If you are in Germany, have you seen the band 'Get Well Soon'?  I know they have a good following there. 

I love Doherty too - Shotter's Nation was a real masterpiece, but then, who can forget the Libertines?!

1. camlo profile image84

No, your not a nincompoop. I often mention that I'm in Germany, because I often reply to a Forum Post or whatever from my perspective here in Germany. So, people could easily imagine that I am actually German.

No, I don't know Get Well Soon; I'll have to look them up. I've always loved any project that has anything to do with Pete Doherty, although I'm never sure whether it's to do with the music itself or his charisma.

8. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

trying to buy flags on line so we can festoon the house!

1. profile image0

Wow - great stuff!  Why dont you make your own union jack festooned with sparkly things!

I am really pleased that we have this wedding - I think the timing is sooo apt, considering the dark days that Britian has been facing.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
        CASE1WORKERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what a good idea!

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...guess it'll be televised world wide....like Diana's....or maybe he'll want something a bit different if he can get away with it....

1. profile image0

Nah... they wont have a choice!  That is the problem in being a royal - you are just a 'figure head' that will do the right thing for the country.  It is how they have been wired to be from cradle to death and know no different.  Good there are some mud blood to help with the gene pool (they had a terrible problem with madness a century or so ago).

It's good for the country - even if you dont give a f now, you WILL be sucked in!  It is a fore gone conclusion hehehe

10. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Ahh great a royal wedding, time to watch the entire nation not give an F.

One of the first things I noticed about the tabloids and gossip mags in america is their obsession with the british royal family though, kinda funny!

1. camlo profile image84

Here in Germany, they even have entire magazines about them. I think they are probably the most interesting of royal families, and keeping up with the events of their lives is a bit like following a soap opera ... maybe that's why.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

isn't that odd.. maybe it's the whole royalty thing.

I don't follow gossip and could really care less who is doing what, but there is something about the royal family that is rather intriguing. The princes are the same age as my sons. in fact my oldest kind of looks like William...

anyway, I'm happy with the news. I hope she understands more fully than Princess Diana did what she is marrying into.

11. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

He has given her his mother's sapphire engagement ring - it's a beautiful ring, but it didn't have a happy history.

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

That is fabulous news!
    Prince William and Princess Kate are entirely different people than Prince Charles and Princess Diana.
    For one thing -- Prince William isn't shagging a cow named Camilla Parker Bowles (at least I sincerely HOPE NOT -- that would make the royal soap opera even ... weirder, eh?).
    The world has had time to adjust to William and Kate as a couple.
    And I think the world (and England) like and respect William -- probably a lot more than they ever have his father.

To be safe, tho. I wouldn't take Diana's ring. *shudder*
    Bad karma there, eh?

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I've never been a "big royal watcher" (US - who can blame me..  smile), but I've always kind of paid attention to William and Harry because Diana's babies and my own babies were kind of matches in ages.  So, somehow, I've just paid attention and always know exactly how old each of them is.

I'd imagine they'll televise a wedding; but (maybe I'm wrong) I somehow have the feeling the world (and maybe "The Royals") has become at least a little smarter after the whole Diana thing.

1. profile image0

No, recon there will be a lot of pomp and ceremony.  This is a great political opportunity and something that will unite the British people.  Just what the Dr ordered (or maybe it was???).

14. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I heard Camilla has already picked out a stunning red dress for the big day...

http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/03/HORSE-ALLERGIC-TO-GRASS.jpg

1. camlo profile image84

She's never looked better!

2. Ken Crow profile image60
      Ken Crowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OMG, now that is funny!   I love it, I love it!!! This does explain alot.....ROFLMAO

15. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

All we have to do is keep Prince Philip from interfering like he did with Price Charles and Princess Diana.

King William and Queen Catherine.  I like the sound of that!
    My tip for a date is 1 July - Princess Diana's 50th Birthday.

See, there are still Royalists in Australia!

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4113813_f248.jpg

16. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

About bloody time!

1. profile image0

9 years is a long time for EVEN a MAN to make up his mind! lol

17. profile image0

I just realised the most important aspect of this wedding!

Harry is still available!!! wink

1. profile image0

Umm... I think Harry is just looooving being free at the moment!

18. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

Of course when Charles married Diana he was air to the throne. Thirty years on, he's still heir to the throne. And given that the Queen's mother lived to be 100, twenty years hence Charles could still be waiting.

This succession game went to pot when kings stopped leading armies into battle.

1. profile image0

I dont actually think Charles wants the responsibility of being King (I dont actually think he wants the responsibility of being Prince, either, but he has no choice in that one!).  It might just skip him and go to William anyway.

1. Paraglider profile image89
        Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He'd have to formally abdicate, wouldn't he? I think a lot of people would welcome it if he did.

1. profile image0

Hey-ho!  It has happened before, no doubt, it will happen again!

19. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Like they said, she has a lot more going than Diana did at first. She is better educated and worldly and she does not seem to have as many insecurities. I am sure it is William's choice to marry her, no one else's.

Also, she has been given a lot more time to adjust. And hopefully the press learned a lesson from Diana.

1. profile image0

We hope that the press has learned. 

Like having children, you know that there is a hard task ahead, but until you do it, you don't actually know how hard that task is!  Kate seems well groomed for the job and has had a faultless record of behaving as a royal should over the last nine years.  She is a great choice.

20. profile image0

If he becomes King, Charles will be Charles IV(?) unless he does as he has hinted at in the past, and adopts George VII.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)