Did you know this causes cancer?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (37 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I read (and it's in my hub) that Abortion- one of the side effects is cancer

I have a feeling that birth control does too.

Other effects of (abortion) are: hysterectomy
                                     inability to have children
                                     infection

depression
                                      suicidalness

Do you know any others? I know there are more. but anyways, I'm pretty sure about the cancer.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is your source?  I couldn't see any scientific evidence mentioned in your Hub.
      http://www.fwhc.org/abortion/abcancer.htm
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion%E … hypothesis

schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good point
        a hypothesis---well many athiests go on those things

The abortion-breast cancer hypothesis posits that induced abortion increases the risk of developing breast cancer.[1] In early pregnancy, levels of estrogen increase, leading to breast growth in preparation for lactation. The hypothesis proposes that if this process is interrupted by an abortion—before full maturity in the third trimester—then more relatively vulnerable immature cells could be left than there were prior to the pregnancy, resulting in a greater potential risk of breast cancer over time. The hypothesis mechanism was first proposed and explored in rat studies conducted in the 1980s.[2][3][4]

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Schoolgirl, you need to learn to read more carefully.  The hypothesis is proposed by PRO-LIFERS, not by atheists. 

The 2003 study said there was NO link between breast cancer and abortion - you said probably not much has changed since then, so do you admit there is no scientifically demonstrated link?

Of course abortion causes depression - any woman could imagine what a traumatic experience it is.  But that's not what you started this thread to say, so don't change the subject.

As Amie said, the risk of complications and side effects of abortion are no worse than for any other surgical operation. 

I could quote you a list that was given to my husband before his cataract op, or to another relative before his hernia op.  They sounded just as scary.

2. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

are you serious?  wow, i didn't know that was one of the side effects to it.  that's very interesting to know.  good thing i don't believe in abortion then. 

edit:  by the way, where did you learn this from anyway?  a medical journal or something?

I was doing research on the net when I wrote my hub -slavery vs abortion, what do they have in common

unfortunately, I was just too tired to put up the links!!!

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is a very serious topic to be too tired to post references and sources sited. if you're too tired, I suggest to hold on publishing until you've posted sources, credentials and a disclaimer.

actually I think it's best to write on topics you're familiar with and can easily site authoritative references.

3. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you a doctor??

no but you can find it easily if you google it

2. almasi profile image61
    almasiposted 13 years ago

did not about the cancer.

3. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I checked it out and it is true. The weird thing is the link is to breast cancer, not uterine or ovarian cancer!
    Weird.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well that is definitely odd....breast cancer is linked to ovarian cancer too though....hmmmmm.....

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...ovarian cancer and cervical cancer for all women are definitely an issue....causes are not certain for ovarian cancers - and most times it is a killer - a silent one (except the type that usually strikes teens and young women - i forget what it is called) - one type of ovarian c is hereditary....as for cervical cancer there seems to be more info. on it however..that's why regular smears are important once a woman begins having intercourse.....have never ever heard that abortion directly causes cervical or ovarian cancer however...assume those are the types of cancer you are referring to.

actually breast cancer- i had forgotten, thx Mighty Mom!

5. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

SGFR -  used this as her source http://www.cirtl.org/syndrome.htm

You will notice its from the Illinois Right To Life

what you may not notice right away (unless you notice the lack of credentials on the authors name) is that it is a report written by a 13 year old girl with a Bibliography that cites no sources newer than 1996.

The info that MW linked to is from a 2003 study.

A MUCH higher level of care should be used when covering medical topics and health- I dont think citing a 13 year old girls book report for a partisan group showed much respect for the issue.

I would hope you would go back and find new, more accurate reports and cite more authoritative sources.

hmm true
      thou I don't expect things to change -from the 2003 study

I'm prolife
      but I know for a fact women get depressed and suicidal after- some just don't know actually all the facts

As for the physical , well they are always possible, the procedure could go wrong...you may say this is the case in every medical procedure....well it is something to consider.....esp not being able to have babies

well I suppose the pro choice sites do the same

maybe we should check the Wikipedia :

Abortion has a long history and has been induced by various methods including herbal abortifacients, the use of sharpened tools, physical trauma, and other traditional methods. Contemporary medicine utilizes medications and surgical procedures to induce abortion. Incidence of abortion has declined worldwide, as access to family planning education and contraceptive services has increased.[5]

Misoprostol can be used alone, but has a lower efficacy rate than combined regimens. In cases of failure of medical abortion, vacuum or manual aspiration is used to complete the abortion surgically.

Abortion, when legally performed in developed countries, is among the safest procedures in medicine

******** Possible complications include hemorrhage, incomplete abortion, uterine or pelvic infection, ongoing intrauterine pregnancy, misdiagnosed/unrecognized ectopic pregnancy, hematometra (in the uterus), uterine perforation and cervical laceration.[51] Use of general anesthesia increases the risk of complications because it relaxes uterine musculature making it easier to perforate.[52]*****************

However, the existence of "post-abortion syndrome" is not recognized by any medical or psychological organization.[58][59][60]

WHAT IS POST ABORTION SYNDROME?
      Post-abortion Syndrome - The Guilt & Depression
      Post-abortion Syndrome victims often deny having abortions due to the guilt and depression associated with it. This makes documentation of it, also known as Post-traumatic Stress Syndrome, very difficult.

The symptoms range from mild depression to suicidal thoughts and can also be linked to other emotional behaviors such as Eating Disorders, Drug or Alcohol Abuse, and Self Punishment. Millions of women have had abortions only to discover an emotional dilemma that won't go away. Post-abortion Syndrome can affect men as well as women. That's right -- men too can experience the symptoms of it years after the abortion.

Source: http://www.allaboutlifechallenges.org/p … ndrome.htm

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4018201.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4012015_f248.jpg

The guilt of abortion can happen to anyone- no matter religious/not
        That's just human nature.

In case you didn't understand the wikepedia:
        ******** Possible complications include hemorrhage, incomplete abortion, uterine or pelvic infection, ongoing intrauterine pregnancy, misdiagnosed/unrecognized ectopic pregnancy, hematometra (in the uterus), uterine perforation and cervical laceration.[51] Use of general anesthesia increases the risk of complications because it relaxes uterine musculature making it easier to perforate.[52]*****************

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS- HEMORRHAGE , INCOMPLETE ABORTION--STUFF LEFT INSIDE YOU OR ABORTION NOT EFFECTIVE..., INFECTION, HEMATOMETRA IN UTERUS, PERFORATION OF UTERUS, -----ALL THESE CAN BE SERIOUS OR LIFE THREATNING.

I've heard the doctors, or abortionists, don't warm women, etc
        So these are the physical risks, though not often can happen.

The worst off all I guess if the guilt which is very common............That's why prolifers try to persuade women not to do it..........as well as the scientific fact---I believe it is--that life has begun- and many atheists say they don't care - in other threads- not mentioning names--that it's a choice. A choice to kill a living baby--
        to me it's not a choice.......unless it threatnes another life--of the mother
        to me it's not a choice to kill a man or women who are full grown or elderly (or living and not born)
        The abortion does hurt--the baby--how could it not? In 3rd trimester abortions, especially, how could it not hurt when the baby is a living thing and torn apart? ETC etc etc etc

2. profile image0
        Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Every medical procedure has potential side effects, including infection and death. My friend's father had a routine hernia repair and died from a blood clot sitting on his bed waiting for a nurse to take him to the car to go home.

Have you listened to the long list of side effects that they spout off rapidfire during those drug commercials? Even drinking water has side effects.

I guess some people might be scared by all this, but not me. I would never have an abortion, but I don't think it's up to me to judge anyone else. After all, there is that "judge not, lest ye be judged" bit in the bible, right?

6. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I think everything causes Cancer.

1. megs78 profile image61
      megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree!  If we were to jump on the bandwagon and stop using or consuming all the things that may cause cancer, we would all die of starvation.

7. couturepopcafe profile image59
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Cancer is always in our bodies.  One's ability to regulate free radical cells governs who will manifest a life threatening cancer.  Free radicals are unstable oxygen molecules that can harm basic genetic material (DNA) and are generated during normal body processes/cell respiration.  Exposure to heat, radiation and environmental pollutants, including cigarette smoke and alcohol, can promote formation of free radicals.  Key word: promote.  One can also take steps to edify the body's natural defenses by ingesting antioxidants.  Anti - against, oxidant - that which causes oxidation (think of rust).  Oxidative stress is believed to be the cause of more than 60 degenerative diseases but I have never seen any data linking abortion as a cause of cancer.

8. Jaggedfrost profile image61
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

It seems when ever human kind... thumbing nose at maker... find themselves in way that justice should find them... shortening their day and give them less time... to do those things for which they were made... perhaps in doing might forgiveness receive and death turn away... One can but try.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cancer...or any other illness,  is not a punishment... how ridiculous to even suggest such a thing.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Apparently you didn't bother to Google it (birth control has a protective effect against Cancer) therefore I assume you are pursuing a moralistic point not a scientific one.

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Do you read the Daily Mail? According to them everything causes cancer. Having kids causes cancer, not having kids causes cancer. Vegetables cause cancer, not eating vegetables causes cancer. You know what, being alive causes death!

Fear mongering! Thats supposed to be the job of the liberals! yikes mad

11. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

The world we live in causes cancer and when aliens arrive quite prominently they will cause it too.

Someday I think cancer will cause cancer to have cancer and then the cancer of the cancer will have to fight the other cancer and millions of cancers to become the ultimate cancer of the cancerous cancer.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! smile big_smile

2. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Waynet, you absolutely 'incancerated" me! big_smile

Well, speaking seriously, I always consider cancer like an ultimate give-up of your body, when it cannot fight all the harm we cause to it,   just by doing wrong things - alas, some of these wrong things totally unavoidable in our busy life!

12. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Thank you for making your moralistic goals clear.  Hiding them behind a veil of science and health concerns is disingenuous.  Pregnancy is more likely to harm one's health than abortion, *but that's not really the issue is it*?

13. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

some points:

MW 2003 study has findings opposite of your source (13 year olds "study")

Wikipedia is NEVER a reliable choice, if you are to use wiki, then you have to check THEIR cited sources. Although, nothing you posted from the Wiki has supported your position.Wiki is not an accepted or reliable info source, it is a great starting point though.

Again, I hope you are more careful with your research methods when tackling important topics

I am not discussing the moral issues with abortion with you - im questioning your proliferation of the title term "Did you know this causes cancer?" and the lack of any scientific support.

What do you suggest are good sources?

pro life?
      pro choice?

or maybe....people who have their own true stories.  I'm sure there's a talk show and many websites that attest to what happened to people

It'can't all be lies.  In fact to PROVE the abortion emotional after effects, I DO KNOW -caps used for emphasis-
      one person who has told me she feels awful guilt whether the baby was a boy or a girl and she was tricked/talked into it, and it was too quick for her, and her boyfreind said horrible things to her if she didn't get rid of it. To this day, about 14 yrs later, she carries around this guilt.

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

again - my issue is with your title term...

"Did you know this causes cancer" (this is known as being "on-topic")

and with the research methods and care that SHOULD be associated with important topics such as "slavery/abortion"

14. melpor profile image91
    melporposted 13 years ago

Schoolgirlforreal, I do not believe abortion causes cancer. Cancer occurs in our body everday due to DNA error during cell division, but fortunately our body has a coping mechanism for stopping the cancer from progressing any further and there are some that manage to escape this inhibiting function in our body. There are a few other reasons why cancer arises in our body, genetics plays a key role in why some people develop cancer and others do not and finally cancer is a consequence of evolution. Cancer cells are immortal, unlike normal cells they will keep dividing and will live forever if they are kept under the proper conditions. Normal cells are programmed to stop dividing after a limited number of dividing cycles.

15. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Oh I must add-just thought of it-

that pro lifers and prochoicers will always sort of believe
    their own kinds' stories....

people want to believe what they want to to some degree

like prochoicers want to believe it's not really a baby

and prolifers...well want to increase or emphasize thier main belief.....

i think this is true.

but there are FACTS
    facts we posted about medical AND emotional problems

and we prob know people who either regret or don't regret

it's a personal choice

though as a Christian and prolifer
    I beliver it is murder---this DOES NOT MAKE IT CONVENIENT FOR ME AS I COULD GET PREGNANT ONE DAY.............NO BUT
    I believe what I believe if ture/truth.
    Truth matters utmost to me.

16. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Mom knows best---Thanks Mighty Mom !

17. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

I haven't seen any [unbiased] studies which would indicate that abortion is linked to cancer.  And anyway, as any good statistician knows, correlation does not imply causation.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed! smile big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)