What Hubwriters do you admire and why?

Jump to Last Post 51-76 of 76 discussions (218 posts)
  1. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'm not entirely comfortable "naming names", even if for positive reasons.  It's honestly not a cop-out to say there are too many (especially if you've been on here for quite awhile).  I'd like to mention some types of Hubbers I admire, though:

People who create really nice Hubs.  I don't care what they're about.  I just admire someone who puts together a really polished, whole, Hub (of any variety).

People who write really well.  It's a writing site.  It seems like "writing well" ought to be worth something. 

People who know their stuff (when it comes to what they're writing about) and write Hubs that show it.  I don't need to be particularly interested in the subjects someone writes about.  I just admire it when they really know what they're writing about (or at least research it well but recognize real research versus regurgitation).

People who put together very professional looking Hubs with substance, and write Hubs that "say", this person knows what s/he's doing (when it comes to putting together a good Hub).

People who seem always willing to take the time to try to help others. 

Hubbers who put together some of the most impressive photography Hubs - things like their own photographs of cities, Nature, Northern Lights - things that people who don't get to one place or another may enjoy because of the beautiful photography.  (Keep the actress-photo Hubs, thanks.)

Some Hubbers who are, sometimes, a little more candid than I may think is wise on the Internet; but there's something about these people's honesty that shows up as very real and admirable in its own way.

Hubbers who (even though it's always possible to fool people on the Internet) come across as very real people (no matter what their personality/lifestyle/Hub goals, etc.) to the point where you pretty much trust their writing.

Hubbers who are funny, including some of who have particularly witty (but not mean) sarcasm.   (Believe it or not, I admire the right kind of sarcasm because it can be really funny and clever, and I'm not particularly great at it most of the time.)  "Funny" includes writing funny Hubs, of course.

A lot of people fall under one or more of these "reasons I admire one Hubber or another" (which is why I couldn't name names).

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i have read through all of these lists, and i am not on anyone's i am so sad....

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and Joy!
      Joy should be on someone's list. Some very nice hubs and she is English living in Ireland. How cool is that? smile

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

aw thanks Earnesthub, and i am so rude to you.  I am having a break from work, and can spend some time on here, but i am friendless how sad is that.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I can relate to that Lisa. I have been here two years and found so many top people I could not count them easily let alone list them all.

I see you have over a thousand followers and I am not far behind, so that is a lot to take note of for starters.

I read some hubs from most of my followers, as I only allow followers who are good writers for the most part. smile

I am not too shy to say no. smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

earnest, it took me quite awhile to hit that 1000   smile.   I never paid much attention until I noticed that last 18 or so, as it was heading toward the thousand.  I'll admit, though, that last night when it hit a thousand I went looking to see what top Hubbers have for followers and they have - like - 3000!   lol    It kind of put the thousand back in perspective (especially in view of how long I've been here.  Oh well, I like to believe that "slow and steady wins the race."   lol

I'd like to be able to read more Hubs by followers, and I'd like to read more Hubs by people I'm following; because there are a whole lot of good Hubs out there.  I don't know, though...    I think a person would have to have way more free time than most of us have.    smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It just hit me that the 1000 was recently achieved.
        Congratulations on being so popular. smilesmile
        Slow and easy means good followers!
        I agree there are heaps of good writers here, and lot's of good people seem to find their way to hubpages.
        Time is a major problem for me at the moment organising 5 school and kinder aged kids 6 days on the road with Ballet drop offs and pickups. Their mom is doing a course in the city that lasts 5 weeks.

By time she gets back to full time caring for them, the twins will have sold me on the Internet! They are 5 now, and experienced granddad bashers!
        Enough about that. I am having a shampoo or two while hiding in my cave to celebrate my 100 hubs.
        A glass of Bol for you is it?

4. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

@ MOW -- Thanks MOW!  You're definitely on my list!!  smile

@ Lisa -- I'm in with you on what you said.  I am not going to name names, because there are many, many writers that I truly admire.  They have affected the way that I approach my writing, which I think, has improved.

I've been finding some hidden gems though.  smile  Some of these writers have been here for at least two years and they are just awesome.  (and you guys know who you are)  smile

5. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I am having a hard time with the list.

First, even people who generally drive me crazy with their conservatve Tea Party views can sometimes say something in the forums that causes me to admire them - maybe only til their next post, but still, there it was.  TMMASON (I probably screwed up the name - the guy who has the McCarthy icon and often single digit hub scores) said something quite admirable about religious tolerance the other night.

Forum posts: Sylvie Strong recently  did a masterful blast on separation of church and state that made me want to send her a bouquet of flowers.  Doug Hughes, Ralph Deeds..  So many other  things like that that have caused me to brand people with a big red "OK,"

HubPages has a lot of smart, funny, quick witted, deeply passionate people.  Most of them are easy to find in the forums; others stay shyly in their hubs and I admire them for their sweetness and sensitivity - rgarnett comes to mind as an example.

Aargh - I just keep thinking of more and more.  I admire people like Relache who are so helpful (albeit sometimes gruffly) to so many.  Anybody named Lisa or Rebekka or Rebecca.

Habee. Lorlie6.   Randy.  Wrylilt. Aficiando.  Kimberlyslyrics, Sallys Trove, Paradigmsearch, Mega1 , PrettyPanther, ThreeFootHat, Skyfire, Bard of Ely, too many!

I would have an easier time compiling an anti list, though even then someone could surprise me like TMM did.   Well, it may be a long wait for some of 'em smile

I like nice people.  You know who you are.  I like smart people even when they aren't always nice and even when we disagree.  I like fun people.  The always angry, never have a good word types could all go away tomorrow and good riddance. The rest if you, I admire and like and care about and enjoy.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You dear man!  Thanks for the mention-now I will mention you, in turn, and not simply because you mentioned me, but because you write hubs that intrigue me! 
      Pcunix is an accomplished geek who blows me away with his knowledge.  I bought my very first computer only last year, and I've found his hubs-though way over my head-instructional and his approach, friendly.  You are a star!

6. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

impossible to answer the question,i am new still i have so many favorites.Most of whom i follow are my favourite

7. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 13 years ago

Its so difficult to name people on this one because all the people who I follow and all the people who follow me are just brilliant writers too.

However in the top 10 are these ones because they were my first ten followers smile Love you all so much xx 

Aevans
    Blonde Poet
    Earnest Hub
    Waynet
    Izzy M
    Sufi Dreamer
    Kimberlyslyrics
    Habee
    Qwark
    Misterlark

8. Timmy(B) profile image60
    Timmy(B)posted 13 years ago

I like danpowers for his sheer dedication of banging out hub after hub in a relatively short space of time!

9. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

This is a really cool thread. Reading through everyone's lists and comments has opened my eyes to some hubbers I haven't heard of but obviously need to check out! Also reminded me of some whose work I have enjoyed in the past but have not interacted with recently. Thanks for the reminder!

Overall, what comes through here is that HP is an amazingly diverse community. It's not "just" about the quality of writing, it's about writing that touches people in some way!

I REALLY liked what you said, Pcunix. Some of my favorite debaters on the forums are politically diammetrically opposed to me. But I admire the way they present their arguments!

MM
    P.S. Speaking of the Forums -- I gotta add Ron Montgomery for his zingy one-liners!

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, gosh yes.  Definitely Ron.

And I KNOW I have forgotten people.  I HATE doing that.  Ron is great!

10. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

The list would be very long and I am not very good at typing, so I would like to add a few that haven't been mentioned enough!

Shadesbreath  & Christoph Reilly

Running into Shadesbreath is what kept me interested in HP, over the past year (almost two) reading the hubs and the comments and banter between the two authors is very refreshing.

Mike Lickteig   I really enjoy the conversations he inspires in his hubs about art and creativity.

Many of the Hubbers I have met through the 60Dc are truly worth admiration and I am consistently amazed at the support they offer one another...I think that's rather unique to the HP experience

11. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

The first member to welcome me was Earnest, so he would be at the top of my list!  Followed by my longtime friend Holle(you know her as Habee!)  I told her about HubPages but was too ignorant to have her sign up through me!)  I didn't know about the referral thing then!

There are some I like to interact with in the forums and others I like to read.  There are just too many to list here!

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awwww...I love you, too, RD! I really love how we are often on opposite sides of the fence yet remain good friends. We can debate but still respect each other's opinions. Cool beans. That there's tha Uhmericun way!! (As we say here in the Deep South.)

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

deep north too.  smile  uhmerican

12. Beth100 profile image69

Ah, that Christoph is a dream.....

1. Jack Crockett profile image60
      Jack Crockettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awwww, Beth. It is you who are a dream!  My new best friend!

13. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years ago

That list would be a very long list.  I admire so many hubbers here, that I wouldn't even want to make a list, because I know I would leave too many people out.  I think Hubpages would get mad at me for posting something so long in the forums.  Maybe I will write a hub about it instead...

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Anne Marie.. and remember it's spelled
      G - R - E - E -K   O - N - E

tongue tongue

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, in that case, I will have to add you to the list, since you took the time to spell it out for me, and on that note, it's A-N-N-A, not Anne...LOL!!  wink

1. Greek One profile image64
          Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry.. your avatar was too pretty and caused me to lose focus while typing sad

(I think I saved myself with that one)

14. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

Someday... Someday... someday...  sad

15. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 13 years ago

Well, that was bound to happen....as someone was saying, Awwwwww, thank you Beth. It is you who are a dream! You heart and humanity are bigger even than your talent!

Also thanks to Jewels who makes my list as well, a friend and awesome astrologer, and thanks Trish, for your sincerity.

Thanks sunforged, I must get back to your hubs and read more as I have been remiss of late.

Also on my list are ACSutliff and Kaltopsyd, fairly new hubbers and very supportive and fun to read. LTFawkes, consummate professional who can blow me out of the water.

And then there are my other long-time friends, Shadesbreath of course, one of the best writers here, Mighty Mom natch, Mistyhorizon, Blondpoet though we have drifted, Spryte though she's not here very much any longer, Sally's Trove for sure, BTevilpants, a good friend indeed, Anna Marie Bowman, who had me laughing my butt off just the other day, MIchelle Richardson my homey, and so many more I'm forgetting at the moment.  I'm sure I'll have to come back and list more.

The one thing they all have in common is they are all great people and I have enjoyed their friendship both on and off HP.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aww...Glad I could make you laugh your butt off once again...after all this time!  You know you are, and always will be, one of my absolute favorites!!!

16. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

hmm..it seems like im not that popular on hubpages on here, as i hoped, as only one person mentioned me.  lol. oh well (jokes)  anyways, my favorite hubber though is king larry.  he says all the things i wish i could say about stuff sometimes, but im too much of a nice guy to ever say.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I admire every hubber who participates regularly in the forums - for sharing their knowledge, showing the rest of us how to have fun, being there to support another hubber as needed, and, for those who aren't easily offended - anyone who is patient enough to put up with me and my lack of understanding in the social department.  big_smile smile

(that includes you smile )

Rafini-I think you're a fabulous contributor to these forums!  And your hubs are amazing.  Keep it up! smile

Aargh! See, another one I plumb forgot.  Add Rafini to my list.

big_smile I just popped in for a minute....I'm not even supposed to be online right now! lol

2. profile image0
          Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

aw thanks rafini, i always admired you too. you always seem to have an uplifting attitude in forums, regardless of whatever troubles you go through.

aaww, you're making me blush!  big_smile

2. lorlie6 profile image72

I'll just bet King Larry is King Larry's favorite hubber...I wonder when we're going to hear from him!!! wink

Somebody said he is permanently banned from the forums.

Sorry to say it, but I never felt he added much.  Just not my kind of humor.  But then I never liked the Three Stooges either, so what do i know?

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't someone mention him being banned?

3. profile image0

nah, king larry got banned. long story.  lol.  however, im sure king larry would agree with you if he were here. wink lol.

Poor guy, he spouts off an awful lot, huh? smile

1. profile image0

eh, yea but what can you do?  lol.  im sure he'll still have plenty say in hubs though.

I hope so! smile

1. profile image0

thanks. so how are you doing though these days?

Waiting for my first grandson to make his entrance!  My son's wife went into labor Thursday, but the contractions stopped, so everyone is waiting with bated breath.  Especially mama-to-be.  Poor thing, it's been so long, I've forgotten how uncomfortable that last month is...but I'm sure we won't have to wait much longer!
                    Stevennix, thanks so much for asking-I got a sympathy card in the mail from the vet.  Nice sentiment, but it broke open that wound again.  Jeeze.  How are you doing?

1. profile image0

yeah, i know what you mean. losing a pet is never easy.  i've been doing okay, i guess.  just been busy with school and work lately, as the new semester just started.  by the way, i was telling beth the other day, that i was thinking about dedicating a couple of hubs to my dog. idk when i'll write them though, but i'll get around to it someday.  lol.  anyways, i hope your daughter in law's pregnancy goes well, and that she and your son have a healthy baby.

@kimberlyrics

hey kim, i was going to ask you.  who were you talking about earlier when you said stevven?  i was just asking, as i think there's like more than one steven on here now besides me. i  was just wanting to know so i can say thanks OR just ignore it if it has nothing to do with me.  lol.  don't worry, i won't mind either way, as i was just curious.  sorry.  lol.

2. Beth100 profile image69

I've had too much sun...the heat's gotten to my head.  Despite what I posted earlier, here goes:

Sunforged - open, honest
      KCC Big Country - a wonderful friend with a big heart
      Christoph Reilly - gives me a laugh a minute (Ya have me dreamy eyed....or is it hypnotized....or mesmerized??)
      Tattoguy - what can I say?  He loves me. 
      Blonde Poet - she's my girl!  Funny, witty, and independent
      Doormatnomore - one cool girl!!  Courageous friend!
      Ripplemaker - inspiring with her positive attitude and outlook on life
      Manlypoetryman - respectful, funny, and who can resist those tractors
      Ralwus - always there to support me
      My Own World - a very kind soul who keeps the peace
      Kimberlylyrics - funny, unsuspecting, a fellow Canadian!  woo hoo!  (are you sure it's a joke?!?)
      Tony0724 - no controversy is too big and great taste in music
      Mark Knowles (btw, happy birthday!!) - a fountain of knowledge
      Prettydarkhorse - happy go lucky
      AEvans - a person who gives her heart to everyone without a blink of an eye
      Cheeky Girl - an honest writer who speaks her mind in a humorous tone
      Jack Crockett - an up and coming talented writer.  Watch out for this writer and remember you heard it from me first!!  smile

and sooooo many, many more. 

Each of these people have touched my life in one aspect or another.  Some of these people have become good friends on and off HP.  Lucky me!!!  smile

3. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Rockinjoe was great fun too. smile

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh ya, now on my way to smokinhotbrads hub smile

4. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Thanks Stevennix-I'll be sure to read those hubs.  You take care, now.

5. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

katiem2 - very knowledgable and a great writer.

6. raisingme profile image76
      raisingmeposted 13 years ago

The hubbers that I admire have been mentioned many times over and with good reason.  They produce quality work, support new and old hubbers alike and contribute to the community as a whole.  Two that I did not see mentioned, and that doesn't mean they weren't (that was a lot of reading and I may have missed) are Somewhereouttahere because her hubs are heartwrenchingly (made up word) beautiful and Stan Fletcher because he is honest and at times, down right funny!

7. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

I have enjoyed Camlo's short stories, and his interaction on the forums......  He has videos of his songs too,  an all rounder is Camlo.

1. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow - thank you, Joy56!
        That's really very kind of you indeed.
        I always have difficulty replying to this kind of thread, because I do admire a lot of Hub writers. If I tried to list them, I'd be bound to leave some out, and that's what I don't want to do.
        Thanks again!

8. quicksand profile image82
      quicksandposted 13 years ago

Adam
      Eve
      James Watkins
      Hal Licino
      Shalini Kagal
      Feline Prophetess
      Paraglider
      Wanderer
      BeatsMe
      NancysNiche
      Rochelle
      "Zorro" (I do not remember his pseudonymn, his avatar shows a masked dude. He writes very well, extremely well ... I am not even a fan of his! smile)

Sorry if I have left out any of the greats ... just my memory.

From the time I've joined HubPages, I've read nearly 1500 hubs and I would like to vote for nearly 75% of the authors of all these hubs. Gigantic task indeed!  smile smile smile

9. Donnacha C profile image70
      Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

premierjk is my favourite.... and dreamreachout....

not too many regulars in the football section unfortunately.......

10. SteveoMc profile image72
      SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

I struggled for a couple of months trying to figure something out, then I asked a question, and someone suggested that I read a hub by Edweirdo.   I did this and to my surprise it was the perfect answer to my quandry.

I admire Edweirdo.  And this is the Hub:  Promote Your Older Hubs Using Tags To Create Custom RSS Feeds

The most prolific comments ever come from Nellieanna.  She is pretty amazing and I wonder where she gets the time in the day to leave such amazing comments.

I admire Nellieanna.

Of course, I admire a lot of others and read their hubs religiously, and I have about 20 hubs bookmarked right now and re-read them all the time.  I will come back and mention some of them later in this thread.

11. angela_michelle profile image93
      angela_michelleposted 13 years ago

frogdroppings for sure. there are others I should add later, but I always enjoy frogdroppings

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)