Pope Okays Condoms....for male prostitutes

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

NYTimes: Pope Benedict XVI has said that condom use can be justified in some cases to help stop the spread of AIDS, the Vatican’s first exception to a long-held policy banning contraceptives. The pope made the statement in interviews on a host of contentious issues with a German journalist, part of an unusual effort to address some of the harshest criticisms of his turbulent papacy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/21/world … pe.html?hp

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

....well good for him......roll....now if he could just take another step out of that box....and really, really, look around.....

....just what I needed to read, now i'll go stock up.....cuz he said so..........

2. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only for male prostitutes?

2. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I just tried to think about this from the Pope's point of view, but my mind just took me around in circles.
    I think he's confused ...

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

hmmm, to protect the altar boys maybe?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, to trap the DNA evidence

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

really? LOL maybe so, then what? Inquisitions?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the good 'ol days.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha! Good point! We can always count on rawlus for an irreverent comment.

3. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Duck tape the condom over the mouth

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Yes, the pain was mainly in Spain. big_smile

5. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

The pope can do what he wants. I am not affected by any decision He makes.
    Abstinence is Gods preferred choice, obviously the pope, once again, figures differently.

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Interesting. So they acknowledge that there are male prostitutes, but condemn homosexuality.
    Not to mention being a wee bit behind the times.
    HIV has moved well beyond the gay population (that was like mid 1980s) and it most rampant in heterosexual sex in Africa.

When I first read this I thought well, maybe the reason he doesn't condone condoms for female prostitutes is that if they get pregnant that's a good thing(I'm trying to think like the Pope here).
    But pregnancy is not always a good thing, apparently. Even for couples who desperately want to conceive children and are unable to naturally.
    Polish bishop sounds off on IVF. 
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69I1X720101019

No one expects the POLISH Inquisition lol!!!

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
      K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's no figuring how popes think, I guess...   hmm  Now...   If I were pope I'd frown on male prostitution altogether.  I'd figure that would discourage the practice by anyone interested in whether or not I was frowning on it.  Voila!  x percent of the problem of HIV infection solved.    I'd also frown on all math homework (giving math homework HAS to be a sin, as far as I'm concerned), and I'd frown on the new Burger King coffee (that's not just a sin - it's a crime). 

I'd smile on female prostitution, provided it could take place in one village in China, between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:05 a.m.; and provided that that any customers provide proof that they  were between the ages of 40 years and one month and 40 years and six weeks AND were born at 36 weeks gestation in Winston-Salem, North Carolina; between the hours of 10:06 p.m. and 10:10 p.m.  I'd even smile on the use of condoms for this select segment of the population.  In fact - heck - I'd send them some pope hats to wear on the trip back from the tiny village in China.  Voila!  x percent of prostitute issues would be resolved, and a whole lot of other people would get to continue not thinking about what one pope or another frowns on.

I think I'd frown on all sex.  (It's just easier than frowning on only some sex).  I'd also practice frowning, just to make sure that the people of the world really, really, knew I was good and frowning on whatever it was I was frowning on; and I'd never frown when standing on my head (because I'd be worried someone would think my frown was really a smile - and get all confused).

If I were pope I'd tell people to call me, "Stanley MacMillon" on the weekends, but call me, "Ivan Moscowitz" Monday through Friday (except for Tuesday, in which case I'd frown on anyone calling me anything but, "Sir, Pope" ).  One other thing:  I'd frown on women not wearing hats in church the way they used to, but I'd require they wear pope hats when they attend Mass (only the pope hats would have to be a different color from the pope hats for the people in the village in China - for obvious reasons).

1. evvy_09 profile image59
        evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow.... I thought I was a great random babbler but you have me beat. sad 

see I frown on that

1. Lisa HW profile image62

So do I - but I'm tired and it's been a really rough couple of days..  Guess I was in the mood to be silly (a little "punchy", I guess).  Hoped a few people would have a sense of of humor.   hmm  Anyway, I now frown on my own thinking it seemed like a funny idea at the time (but I'm too tired to look up how to make a frown face, so take my word for it).   Not looking for sympathy, but just the title of my last Hub probably explains the punchiness to anyone else who frowns on the post above.

1. WryLilt profile image89
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahahaha that was awesome. Thanks for the laugh. Or the frown.

"I think I'd frown on all sex.  (It's just easier than frowning on only some sex)."

So we have to leave it up to the stork to bring babies?

2. evvy_09 profile image59
            evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I loved the above post Lisa HW.  It was sooo funny.   I was making a joke (or trying to) on the way it seems so random.  I'm tired and not making any sense I guess.  Anyway the post was awesome and I don't frown on it.  So here's a smiley face smile

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Wry Lilt, I was raised Catholic.  You mean babies aren't brought by stork??  Oh - rats...   I'm just all confused about everything now!!    hmm

evvy_-09

Thanks for saying you found it funny.  I'm just not sure I do.  lol  (I did get self-conscious about it - and yet went ahead and hit "submit".)  Even so, I, myself, am still "frowning on" my own peculiar attempt at humor.  When you get as punchy as I seem to be right now - time to get a nice big, strong, cup of coffee and head off to sleep.  lol    Thanks for the smiley face.    Here's one back.   smile

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

So the Pope says condoms are ok in certain situations. Apparently one of those was a not water balloon fight with my mates at Mass yesterday...

8. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

It is good to see a Pope finally stepping out of the 6th Century! Condoms for male prostitutes is a start.

Now he just needs to work on ending sexual abuse of children by priests (yes, I know other Churches have this problem too), the ordination of women, and the recognition of the GLBTI community as humans.

No, I am not Catholic, but my long term abuser was.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)