I found this interesting!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (69 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

In a recent poll, Romney edges out Obama in 2012. What really surprised me is that Huckabee and Obama are almost tied in the poll. Palin didn't fair as well. I hope she takes this to heart! Did you read what Mama Bush said about Palin? "She seems happy in Alaska - I hope she stays there."

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x1295.xml?ReleaseID=1538

1. profile image0
      Texasbetaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are we really going to elect another President who doesn't believe in evolution, even as a process, even though he has his doctor change his antibiotics every year he gets sick to fight antibiotic resistance...which is evolution itself? Really? This guy thinks that donkeys talk and you can live inside of a fish for 3 days. Come on people!

2. mocrow profile image59
    mocrowposted 13 years ago

That is pretty interesting. Huckabee seems like a decent guy, but I don't think he has enough money to compete.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've warned you before about trying to think!

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

RD, didn't you teach her everything she knows??

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She's just like you, I couldn't learn her nuthin!

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love you, too!

4. EPman profile image60
    EPmanposted 13 years ago

Romney and Huckabee? Oh god. As if the Republican party didn't look bad enough -- here we go.

And that's coming from a righty.

1. habee profile image92

Who do you want to run, EPman? Whatcha think about Jindal?

1. EPman profile image60
        EPmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never even heard of Jindal until now -- thanks for bringing him to my attention.

I am a Ron Paul fanboy.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image60
          uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bobby Jindal was on my short list or McCain VP

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
            couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Does anybody like the Cuban-American guy?  Marco?

1. profile image57
              C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, I do. I'm just suspicious of Florida in general.....LOL

5. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 13 years ago

I think Huckabee has the best chances overall, mostly because he has clout with the enormous evangelical base and he's a southerner.

Mitt Romney - let's just say he's my favorite candidate (among the GOP, of course), and I'm a liberal. That would sink his chances right there. smile Besides, he's Mormon and evangelicals will not vote for him for that reason alone.

Ron Paul is a fringe candidate that only appeals to libertarians.

Jindal is devoid of charisma and natural speaking ability, and, well, his foreign origin might be objectionable to the Tea Partiers who obsess about Obama's Kenyan lineage.

1. habee profile image92

Hi, Livelonger! I really like Huckabee, but I wish he weren't so far right. I think Mitt would be good for the economy, but he's changed his mind on several issues, so that might hurt him. Jindal is super smart and seems to be a good manager, and it would be nice to have an Asian-American in the WH.

My biggest hope is that Palin doesn't run!

1. livelonger profile image87
        livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree - Romney pivoted to the center too early, but he also has a liberal record from Massachusetts which would kill him in today's national GOP which has gone much further to the right.

Jindal might be bright and a good technocrat, but he unfortunately lacks the charisma you must have to run for Pres, and frankly, there are a LOT of conservatives that don't share your enthusiasm for having an Asian-American in the WH. (Those would be Palin's "Real American" supporters...those who live and breathe resentment towards everyone who isn't exactly like them)

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
          Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd characterize Romney's record as moderate, not liberal. I guess he's liberal compared the the rest of the potential candidates.

Yes, sorry for not clarifying: liberal by national GOP standards.

"RomneyCare" would kill his chances for the Pres alone.

2. profile image57

Of course you would Ralph, your a Liberal! (NO INSULT INTENDED)

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65

I guess its relative. I plead guilty to being a liberal and a yellow dog Democrat.

1. profile image57

Yes, it's all relative. Sometimes it's hard to remember that. Especially in times where identity politics are playing a bigger role than actual issues.

You've captured the mood among most conservatives perfectly - identity politics over policy.

1. profile image57

Your statement is even more profound, as many conservatives would say the same for liberals. We are caught in a "I know you are, but what am I" scenario.

2. EPman profile image60

Ron Paul is becoming more mainstream, don't you think?

He is a symbolic figure to the libertarian half of the tea party.

The Federal Reserve is also becoming a core issue -- one which Ron Paul has been way ahead of the game on. This has helped his fame, and may continue to do so as the years come.

Lol, as a Ron Paul supporter I'm obviously unwilling to accept him as a "fringe" candidate. But all biases aside I truly do believe he's growing steadily in popularity.

I actually support more of his economically-conservative ideas more than that of the socially-conservative ideas of the other people mentioned.

But economic conservatives & libertarians are numerically tiny in this country. I think Paul only had the support of about 5% among Republicans nationwide. Maybe he can pretend to be a social conservative like his son has done.

2. profile image0

I can't get past his history with white supremacists. That is just too much.

1. EPman profile image60

Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans only as members of groups and never as individuals. Racists believe that all individual who share superficial physical characteristics are alike; as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism. Their intense focus on race is inherently racist, because it views individuals only as members of racial groups.
              The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims

- Ron Paul, 2002

Okay, maybe a simple quote won't do much to persuade you, but these accusations towards Ron Paul really are mudslinging politics.

There was a newsletter under Paul's name that used outside volunteers. This is the publication where the racist comments were made. They were not made my Ron Paul himself. You can even tell in the voice of the writing that it sounds nothing like him. I know that isn't the most compelling case to make, but it is certainly noteworthy.

Look, racism is in opposition fundamentally to everything Ron Paul has been working to achieve in Congress for years. He has decades of recorded speeches, YouTube videos, and votes that are free from racist implication. He is a close ally with the NAACP, and the chief in his district came to Ron's aid in defending him as someone who certainly is not a racist when these hogwash accusations began.

If you don't agree with him on the issues, that's cool. But I strongly suggest you give him another shot if your only reason for not liking him is this alleged racial comment.

3. uncorrectedvision profile image60
      uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like Jindal.  His lack of speaking ability is over stated.  Much like Palin, he was tossed to the piranhas in the liberal media before proper preparation.  It is not the substance, it is the form.  Huckabee and Romney both can be rejected as liberal Republicans.  If Steve Forbes looked like Mit Romney he would have been unbeatable years ago when he made a run.

Tim Pawlenty's name has been bounced around for a while.   From Indiana Mitch Daniels and Mike Pence have been mentioned, though Daniels disavows any interest in running.  Newt is damaged by his inability to get out of his own way.  The 2012 Presidential field is pretty wide open in the Republican Party and, if President Hussein - I mean - President Shining Handsome - I mean - President Banana Pudding Overhand Claw Hammer ( I am having trouble deciding what I should call him given some people get so offended so easily) If BHO continues his secret melt downs and the political damages continue to pile up the Democrat field may also be open.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jindal has the speaking charm of Peewee Herman.

Huckabee can't run because he was a sucker for any convict who claimed he was 'born-again'. The release rate from Huckabee pardons was higher than those of six surrounding states combined. Some of the felons he pardoned were later caught and convicted of serial rapes and mass murders. Not just one or two, either.  If he runs, the foolish decisions he made as governor will be hung around his neck. 

Romney passed a state version of Obamacare and he lets the polls dictate his policies, He's taken as many positions as a weather vane. It just depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Ron Paul is a fringe candidate with a fringe following.  He won't win in a showdown against the evangelicals of the Tea Party.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PeeWee Herman was great when he hosted the Tonight Show in character and has more charm than Jindal, imo.

4. Evan G Rogers profile image61
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul is the only consistent person in congress. It's disgusting to hear him described as a fringe candidate.

Maybe that's why he's a fringe candidate, which is more an expression of the level of his support (single digits) than a reflection of my feelings towards him.

In order to command larger support, you have to court people beyond your specific views. As I said earlier, if he panders to evangelicals, he will garner more support, as has his son.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I do not see mainstream America endorsing Ron Paul.
    Romney has the wrong religion. Palin is her own sword.
    Jindel talks too fast. I don't know enough about Huckabee.

no one that I see right now in the GOP is POTUS material.

I would really like to see a candidate that can talk with some substance and not sound like a political ad. I think we all are tired of the ranting and raving.

well, maybe not all, as I see some thrive on that kind of 'rhetoric'.

funny what mama Bush said. I saw that too.

1. profile image0

Hmmm...how about the guy who got 4 million kids health care, who stabalized the worst economy in recent history in under 2 years, reinvested in our infrastructure for the first time since Eisenhower, began actually targeting Al Queda rather than just shooting at anyone shooting at us, is stimulating the regulatory bodies that presided over the worst oil spill in history and 4 of the worst 10 mining disasters in history, all occurring in the last 10 years? How about the guy who actually thinks? How about the guy already there who could do wonders if the Republicans in the Senate would stop blocking every single move, even if it is their own idea, the second Obama endorses it. These jerks are acting like kids and the ignorant of the country are eating it up. The problem isn't Obama. The problem is that half of the country is legally retarded.

7. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Ron Paul 2012!

1. profile image57

I'd vote for him. Unfortunately when the media dog piles you and your own party doesn't defend you...YOUR DONE as far as presidential politics are concerned.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

/cry

1. profile image57

?? What does "/cry" mean??

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

it means i'm crying.

1. profile image57

Oh....

Ron Paul could do a lot of good for this country. He would end the wars. He would SLASH spending. He would audit the FED. All good things. Too bad, there is not another candidate(that's electible) that would go to washington and do just that.

1. habee profile image92

He'd legalize pot, too, which is a good thing, IMO.

1. profile image57

I'm not sure if that would do us a whole lot of good right now. The idea that legalizing pot would somehow generate endless wealth is a fallacy IMO. The drug lords are not going to let us just steal their cash cow. They are NOT going to pay taxes either. I do agree the War on Drugs is a huge waste of resources.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
                    rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with you here.

as far as the sink or swim when someone is in trouble, I disagree that it benefits all. not only do those that sink not benefit, but neither do the rest of us. 

there is no easy answer, but the GOP mantra of make the rich richer is definitely not of benefit to all. what a fantasy.

8. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Personally I would like to see Jindal or  Pawlenty get the nod for the GOP nomination.

1. habee profile image92

Whatcha got against Huckabee? I like Jindal, but I don't know much about Pawlenty.

1. profile image57

Too close to Fox. He would excite the left more than the right.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Huckabee is on Rupert Murdoch's payroll along with Palin and Gingrich. Plus he's a social conservative evangelical Christian underneath his genial smile and soft spoken manner.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so please tell us the balanced way to approach these policies.  keep in mind that if you eliminate them, it is no longer balanced.
    I'm sure many of us would like to hear some rational discussion.

1. profile image57

Thats off topic. I'm not going to deviate any further. Suffice it to say that I don't believe the government has any right to collect a tax from me for the express purpose of redistribution. Obviously you do.

You don't have a candidate for the GOP do you?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's deviating from the topic at all. these are policies that benefit a large segment of the population and will continue to increase with an aging population. the programs need to be fixed, not eliminated.

a candidate for the GOP? I don't see one. and I'm not a republican.  but I'm watching to see how it happens.

1. profile image57

The government is not supposed to assure outcomes, only opportunities. Creating "Ballance" as you define it, is up to the individual when it comes to level of success. So to say that the policies are sacred and can only be modified vice abolished is, in my opinion, a flawed idea.

2. profile image57

Now, because these programs have been in existance for so long. I do believe we need to be "weened" off of them.

Social Security. I believe we should allow people to opt out, once vested. Further all applicants for benefits should be means tested. State and local governments should be allowed to exempt it's employees if they have their own pension plans.

Medicare. Same as above.

Unemployment. This should be left completely to the States.

Food Stamps/Welfare/WIC/ETC.

There will allways be hard luck cases. These should be handled at the local and state level. Federal programs only encourage people to remain in areas where there may be no opportunity for them. States should handle this.

All of this will take away the "easy" answer. Once the person in trouble has to sink or swim, we all benefit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)