Long tail hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I've read a lot about this without really understanding it. I did some research this morning (Google - 30 seconds worth) and came up with possums, rats, snakes and some species of lemur.

I could probably write about possums, just love their little cute whatevers, but don't want to be wasting my time if there are longer tails available.

Maybe an experienced hubber would know more about this.

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

LOL! Yup. I'm sure possums would be a hit!!!

possums
    possums at night
    possums at night in Europe
    possums at night in Europe that wear black sweaters
    possums at night in Europe that wear black sweaters and hats

See the long tail developing? Long tail keywords are just those that are much more specific. They may not get as much traffic as, say, "possums," but you stand a better chance of ranking for them.

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah. Explained beatifully.  I thought the long tail meant it lasted longer - I suppose it terms of being an open ended search.

Anyway. Possums it is.  Now where's my Wiki link?

1. Reality Bytes profile image76
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do some old fashioned possum stew, roast and broiled hubs.

Cooking and recipe hubs are popular?

Lol 2 u 2.

2. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is also the surfer to consider.

Intelligent searchers use the least words possible for their first search and then add words if they don't get the right results.  Naive searchers use long English sentences.

Guess which group is more likely to click on ads?  Ayup, the English sentence people.

The dumber the sentence, the more likely the click. Of course you don't want dumb sentences in your page, but the closer you can come, the better the results.  Not a politically correct statement, but it has a lot of truth in it.

So, a really good long tail might be

"Where can I find some cute pictures of possums wearing clothes and funny hats?"

We have a winner!

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice, PCUnix! I never really thought about that aspect of it. Thanks!

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Yes, thanks as always PC for putting it into words I can understand.

3. JR White profile image59
    JR Whiteposted 13 years ago

A possum recipe might be another avenue of income for Hubbers because I've heard that the New Zealand government subsidizes businesses that can figure out how to reduce the possum population.

1. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can also get gloves, hats, socks etc made from possum fur in NZ - they are really warm and cosy!

Yeah guys, thanks very much, but I was thinking more of a marketing piece for selling some plush toy possums.  Not really looking to freak out the crucial child market pre Xmas with pictures of boiled possums, gloves, etc.

1. CMHypno profile image82
          CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that you have got the wrong idea of the possum gloves and socks Mark - they knit the fur, so they look just like fine woollen socks but are much warmer.

1. Karanda profile image80
            Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But they still have to kill the possum don't they? I was told it's not like shearing a sheep but gee, I have a possum sweater and it is the most treasured piece of clothing in my wardrobe, soft, oh so soft, light yet warm. The moths love it too, so I have to keep it protected in plastic.

4. lrohner profile image69

Now who could find a cute furry little possum scary?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4139943_f248.jpg

Oh.  I've never seen a real one, I thought they were cute.  I was thinking more along the lines of this...

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4139978_f248.jpg

No wonder you guys don't mind making hats out of them.  Any animal that ugly deserves to be eaten.

1. KristenGrace profile image61
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.  I think I've stumbled upon the wrong forum post... tongue

5. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

I think I did as well Kristen.

1. KristenGrace profile image61
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha

6. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Since your goal is to sell possum toys then that is where you would start with your keyword search:

possum toys
    stuffed possum toy
    little possum toys
    toy possum
    possum stuffed toys

Also it looks like the technical name is opossum, then you will also need to use that in the title as well in your content.

opossum toys
    opossum toy
    opssum pictures
    opossum facts
    plush opossum

Then you can also add the words, cheap, best value, deals, gifts to your main keyword.

Thanks Research Analyst.  I have to confess that wasn't my goal when I started the query this morning but it looks like it's possums (and opossums) for me from now on...

7. Research Analyst profile image74

Also Mark it is easier if you know what your end goal is before you start your keyword research, because with possums they can be:

a pet
    a toy
    a health risk
    a food item
    a piece of clothing
    or a research paper

So you first want to be clear on what it is you want to accomplish:

Ask yourself some questions;  are you trying to sell something, provide How-To information, or be a resource.

Once this is clear you will be able to reach the "right" audience for your content.

Fantastic stuff Research Analyst.  I have some learning to do.

I hadn't really thought this through enough. Up till now I've just thrown bits of half concocted garbage on a page to see what would stick.  I can see now there is a lot more to selling plush possums than I could have imagined.

If, and it's a big if getting bigger all the time, I were to continue this possum lunacy, I was wondering if it would be better to create a new ID - perhaps a Mainey Ward from Aspen - a grandmother who has been collecting possums since she was a child and is now doing Hubpage stuff to help fund her nephew through college.  This might also tie in with the possum pie ideas - traditional recipes, and I suppose even the clothing lines.

PCUnix was ight. You can get some great ideas from the forums.

8. Research Analyst profile image74

Another thing I thought I would share is that not all hubs are created equal for instance there are:

Money Hubs
    Hubs for Backlinks
    Traffic Hubs
    Hubs for Branding

So even after you pick your niche, do your keyword research and know who your target audience will be its necessary to determine if your writing for money, backlinks, traffic or to brand yourself.

Money hubs are ones where you optimize your content to earn from eBay, adsense, kontera, amazon etc. So you will write in a way that provides information but just enough to keep the reader wanting more so they will click thru an related ad.

Hubs for backlinks are ones that you write just to get other content that you have offpage to rank, so you will use a related keyword as your anchor text to link to your website, blog, articles, or affiliate product landing page.

Traffic hubs are ones where you write just to get traffic not necessarily to make any money for instance many of the hot models pics, gamer codes, famous quotes and celebrity gossip hubs will bring in lots of traffic.

Hubs for branding are ones where you are a fiction writer and you want to self publish your own book for the literary world, so you will use your hubs for story telling and to let readers see your skill so as to brand yourself as a fiction author.

I am sure there are many other types of hubs that can be written but these are the ones I have noticed.

Thanks again!  I hope others find this as useful as I do.

Irohner and PCUnix - the tail thing that you showed me.  I might want to do a hub using that stuff or similar - would it be ok?  I'd put a reference (link?) to your profiles - with the traffic I am getting (2 hits a day, 1 if you exclude my spell check revisits) that's got to be worth something.

Er. I did the hub anyway. Assumed it would be OK. Sue me if not.

1. Pcunix profile image91

Yes, we have decided to sue.  Irohner wanted me to fly over and beat you up, which would be fine if you really look like your icon, but for all I know you are big and muscular and I'm old and not as fast as I used to be.

Beside that, I don't have a passport, so that would be more darn expense which, combined with the humiliation of not being able to dominate you physically, might be too much to bear.

So we are suing. Not for money. We haven't figured out for WHAT yet, but we'll let you know, OK?

I'm laughing. But slightly nervously.

I'll change anything you want me to. I'm not a man of principles.

And you think I am???

smile smile smile

Still laughing.

I tell you what Mr. Unix, if I get to 100 then Hubpages loses any semblance of credibility.

You will.

Seriously.  Sooner than you think.

Well, it's Google hits that would really make my day.

btw - I'm a follower now.  I know you don't like the reciprocal thing but I just like to know what you are up to.  Especially after the suing thing.

9. lrohner profile image69

I'd worry more about PCUnix flying over there than getting sued, Mark. You just don't know what he's hiding under that colorful little wig. smile

Fair point, but he'll never get that hat through customs.

Yeah, like a short turkey and a stick man would get through security checks either.

1. lrohner profile image69
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you know? Turkeys are very popular this time of year. smile

Yes.  I'm looking forward to Friday (we do it then - it's just easier on everybody and also avoids some husband-wife difficulties by letting them attend both sides of the family).

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Lol guys - its bedtime over here. C'ya.

10. lrohner profile image69

Night Mark.

PCUnix -- I'm doing the same thing this year for the first time, only we're going to wait until Sunday so everyone has time to digest the Thursday meal. It's just SO much easier than all the kids trying to cram all family from all sides into one day. smile

11. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

By the way, just as a matter of historical interest, it was Google that made long tail search possible.

Back in the day, Yahoo was THE search engine.  A few geeks like me had started using Google, but most folks used Yahoo and thought it was cool beans (they though "cool beans" was cool beans back then too).

A fellow named Red had a website and he and I were talking about the value of Yahoo vs. Google.  Red was a confirmed Yahoo searcher and could not see why I thought Google was better, so I showed him.

I went to his website and picked out a very short phrase from a story he had there. It was something about a drink he liked to mix up for parties and had given a special name.  The phrase was something like "Red's Romping Randy Mahito Recipe" - not that, only because I can't remember now so many years later, but like that.

I had him type it into Yahoo. No results.

I had him type it into Google.  One match - his website.

He looked at me like I had shown him a magic trick.  In away, I had, because nobody but Google could do that kind of thing then.

Of course Red became a Googler and told everybody he knew that they should dump Yahoo and use Google. All across the world, this little lesson was being repeated and eyebrows shot up and people dumped Yahoo.

Long tail search really was what made Google's fortune.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)