12 Lonely Neglected Hubs - Making Money Anyway :)

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 13 years ago

Hello Hubbers,

I made 12 hubs between December 2009 and March 2010, which means I have 12 hubs that are basically just about one year old. I would rate them as somewhere between pathetic and woefully inadequate at best, but constructed in a format I felt at the time would be good for conversion using AdSense and Amazon modules.

Having started a new "normal" job this year, I had more or less forgotten all about them when I decided to check this morning and....they're making money smile

Stats:

AdSense
    November 2010 month to date: $7.96 <snipped - do not post CTR, RPC or eCPM stats for AdSense>

Amazon
    November 2010 month to date: $13.39 on 8 shipped items (<snipped> conversion rate)

Total: $21.35 on 12 hubs

My conclusion is basically what I had estimated to be correct indeed is: aged hubs, even if ineffectively written but targeted even halfway reasonably with good monetization layouts do make money. In researching Hubpages I had predicted maybe a buck or two per hub per month, and that is exactly what has turned out the be true.

Knowing that, the inescapable truth is that more hubs equals more money. Even if I do one per day, at the end of the year that's several hundred hubs earning what looks like several hundred dollars.

It is true.... Write hubs, be patient, and earn money.

I'm rejuvenated and excited for what it means for my future. Hoping my small success is helpful, and wishing everyone every success in reaching your Hubpages earning goals.

Mike smile

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is hope for me yet.smile Good for you and it teaches us all that good things do come to those who wait!!!!

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
      Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing your experience.  That's really interesting to see how a "hands off" approach worked... and that it really did work.

3. OpinionDuck profile image61
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It should be AdCENTS

1. Hindol Adhya profile image60
        Hindol Adhyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile big_smile big_smile Very funny! Loved it.

2. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Never give up hope.. no, I guess patience is the key...would be a better piece of advice.  smile

3. PurpleOne profile image80
    PurpleOneposted 13 years ago

That is great new for you - congrats! It's also encouraging for other hubbers such as myself to just keep on writing.

I took a look at some of your hubs and they are not "pathetic" either like you claim! smile

Mike Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, PurpleOne. Writing for me is just not a natural thing and I tend to get rather repetitive, but as long as I can convey the overall message I'm comfortable with my ability as it stands as it relates to building monetized hubs.

I envy very much those who can write smoothly and quickly, with a sense of wit and style.

Mike

4. profile image0
    TopUniverseposted 13 years ago

Congrats,After seeing some success, why are you waiting now? write more.

5. charkamman profile image60
    charkammanposted 13 years ago

So I better not delete my old Hubs, even though they have not been making money - will update them and brush them a bit up.
    thanks for that!
    Charlotte

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

right way to go.

6. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

That is half correct, however remember to employ some SEO techniques, this can drastically quicken the process of hubs generating views.
    Time will allow your hubs to get recognised and indexed by search engines but if you submit articles within links to the original at sites such as Snipsly, Xomba and Shetoldme and include keywords(Google keyword tool) related to your topic they could be ranking on the first page of Google within weeks and that means more clicks/sales for you!

1. bushraismail profile image58
      bushraismailposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wow good news.. thanx gotta try those techniques on my hubs

7. gqgirl profile image67
    gqgirlposted 13 years ago

Well that is awesome! So happy for you!

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Brilliant stuff Mark!  All of us newbie writers wondering if there will ever be a click have just had a little lift.  Thanks a lot, and hope you (and us) enjoy lots more.

9. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

Great News! Congrats.

10. Mike Rogers profile image61

Also I think it might be worth noting I did not backlink to any of them, except to each other.

My personal belief is that Hubpages itself carries such authority and has such an excellent internal link structure that backlinking from outside sites is most beneficial for more competitive terms.

Of course, I am basing that on the "one or two dollars per month per hub" model, with revenue increases coming from the sheer volume of hubs overall.

Mike smile

11. Mike Rogers profile image61

Crazy. Woke up this morning and checked my Amazon Associates account to discover someone bought a pretty expensive TV stand and mount.

At 6% that's another $14.91 smile

I will assume for the time being that the order ships without issue.

Plus, a couple more AdSense clicks worth $0.47.

With 4 more reporting days left for November, it will be interesting to see how this ends up.

Running total: $36.73 on 12 hubs.

Mike smile

12. profile image32
    jpdirectivesposted 13 years ago

I have to say, that after reading some of your articles, that I rather like your writing style.  Seems pretty smooth and somewhat witty to me.  Perhaps you could find more expensive products to write about.  I'm new to all of this, but from what I've read, there are apparently some words that pay very well when it comes to Adsense.  I think TopUniverse is right. You just need to write more!  Good luck, Mike.

13. Mike Rogers profile image61

Since the thread is still alive, I thought I should update with the final numbers on the "12 Neglected Hubs" for November for anyone following along....

AdSense
    <snipped click number for AdSense>
    $17.55

Amazon
    13 items shipped
    8.17% conversion rate
    $32.96

Total: $50.51

Thanks for the nice words 'jpdirectives' I certainly do appreciate that kind of feedback. The more interesting the subject the easier things flow for me. My product hubs though are quite dreadful, though with work I hope to attain at some point an at least acceptable level of competency.

Mike smile

1. nell79 profile image79
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what happened to me on the six eHow articles I did (still kicking myself for not doing more, but after a dismal few months of earnings and a busy year I stopped writing there before they changed over), but now they're consistently making money.

I wondered if it worked the same way here. From your experience, it sounds like it does. Hopefully it will work out the same for me! haha

2. ChuckHuckaby profile image41
      ChuckHuckabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations on your Adsense and Amazon earnings. It's good to know that your hubs are still making money.  I'll take $50 any time!

I think that shows that even if you just try here at Hubpages, good things can happen over time.

What do you think you'd do differently to optimize your pages?

14. lindajot profile image65
    lindajotposted 13 years ago

I hear you Mike - I wish I had more "natural" writing ability.  I admire those that can easily add humor.  I haven't read yours yet, but it's great to know that my icky first hubs might make a few bucks one day smile

15. Darknlovely3436 profile image70
    Darknlovely3436posted 13 years ago

well i have been here for almost 20 months , and i haven't even made a penny... so good luck to those whose is making money

16. GmaGoldie profile image81
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

This is a huge help to me - that through patience my hard work will pay off. 

I too have noticed the more mature Hubs do better.

I have learned to watch the Hub Metrics closely and have even deleted several Hubs when the estimated revenue is low.

I love all this - the writing, the research, compiling the photos, etc.... but sadly my checkbook cries.  For the time invested, this information about the mature Hubs is very helpful. 

Thank you for the much needed motivation.

17. pisethz profile image61
    pisethzposted 13 years ago

that is good if you have more hubs, it even converts more sales. I made less sale than yours from my experience. Still hoping to get more in the coming year though. cheers

18. rich_hayles profile image59
    rich_haylesposted 13 years ago

Hay Mike whats the latest?
    I just found your encouraging story and thought I would check on your continued progress.
    I too have issues with writing quickly but agree that finding a topic that interests you makes the whole process a world easier.

Mike Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Still making money. Added a few new hubs, some of which are doing quite well. I am amazed really at how quickly a monetized hub starts to earn.

The "regular" job is a huge "hour-eater" lately, but I am going to force myself to find the time to add something every week if possible.

It's like....no it is money in the bank. wink

Mike

19. profile image57
    rieomposted 13 years ago

This is the same as I have heard on forums or by reading others Hubpages that it takes at least six months for articles to hit in google and increase traffic to the hubs.  It can only compel all of us to hang in there.

20. andyoz profile image85
    andyozposted 13 years ago

An interesting read.  i have been here a month and although I have had some sucess I am finding it a little frustrating.  I seem to get loads of page views but very few clicks amounting to very little cash earnings.  Plus I have had nearly 200 Amazon clicks and not a single sale.  Your 10% conversion rate is impressive!  If I had a 10% rate I would have had 20 sales by now!

21. Sun Pen 50 profile image60
    Sun Pen 50posted 13 years ago

Thanks Mike. I became a fan to follow what happens and read your new Hubs. Please keep us posted regularly on the progress of those 12 hubs.

22. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 13 years ago

Congrats!...
    Yes aged hubs definitely do start to deliver sometimes like fine wine!  To give your hubs some extra juice you might try pinging your rss feed at least once per week just to alert the search engines and other sites around the web that your content is not dead and it very alive and does exist!  Also bookmarking those old hubs if you haven't done so already could work wonders as well.  Bottom line: Don't just wait for your hubs to come around hoping the search engines will take favor to them.  You need to actively keep pushing them out into the web in order to reach your target market - whether it be through the search engines, email, directly or other means.  More Exposure = More Money$-)

23. Mike Rogers profile image61

Just a silly update for the month of January.

27 quite crappy hubs generated.....

$38.18 from Amazon
    $9.12 from AdSense

$47.30 Total

Mike smile

24. LennyP profile image72
    LennyPposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of hubbers give up only to realize the power of aged hubs. I first created my account to spam my site which obviously did not work. Then a couple years later I wrote 8 hubs that by the beginning of this year have made about $80.00. Now I am starting to be active again after seeing the results. Sometimes I imagine how much I would be earning from this site if I had been active the four years I have been a member.

25. OriginArtz profile image59
    OriginArtzposted 13 years ago

Nice!

26. Mike Rogers profile image61

In the "fun while it lasted" department....

With all the Google SERP algorithm changes:

Earning for March through the 21st are $1.60.

Mike sad

27. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

maybe in 6 months time the traffic and earnings will recover smile

(I keep hoping that thats going to be the case, anything that stands up to the algo change will eventually get back to where it was cause it belongs there!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)