Calling UK Hubbers - has the snow reached you yet?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (66 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

There is a light dusting in my part of Hertfordshire, but there are some amazing snow photos from other parts of the UK.

How much snow is there where you are?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nothing much here in Somerset, but have the fire going strong because it is sooo cold!

2. warchild75 profile image61
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

im down on the south coast near brighton we are usually the last,did get 5 mins of snow this afternoon but thats it,dont think we will see any at all.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

We got no snow..... yet!
    I am in London so we do tend to be late to the party when it comes to snow. It is freezing cold tho! Got my fingerless gloves on and thinking of finding my warm hat smile

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dug my lovely woollen gloves (hand knitted by me) out of storage yesterday, only to find that the moths had got to them first...  So now they're feeding the worms on our compost heap!

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aww that sucks! Bloody moths sad

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

No snow here in the most southeasterly corner of Britain either.  Mind you that's not surprising - we got away with a light dusting during the cold snap at the beginning of this year, whereas 20 miles away in Canterbury it was a lot worse.  The Isle of Thanet has its advantages!

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
        Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We used to go to Laysdown (Leysdown?) on Thanet for holidays when I was small. We stayed in a wooden chalet on a site near the beach. I wonder if it's still there?

1. profile image0

Leysdown's on the Isle of Sheppey - Thanet's a bit further along the coast!  I keep meaning to go to Sheppey and have a look around; have been past it plenty of times on the train but never actually visited.

Sorry, my mistake! It was a very long time ago. I must have been 4 or 5 at the time. My grandparents lived in Westgate and we had many holidays in the area so that we could visit them. When I was older we stayed near Reculver quite a few times, but I've never been back as an adult.

3. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

Sunny Sussex is chilly but bright right now. I had moth holes in my last years woolly gloves too. I've been out and invested in some of those trendy fingerless mitts that go right up your forearms. My kids are desparate for it to snow, whilst I'm happy if it never comes this far south!

4. Moxyl profile image71
      Moxylposted 13 years ago

Live reporting - snow has just arrived in the Netherlands - just arcoss the water from UK!

1. Stories Inc. profile image64
        Stories Inc.posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No it hasn't. I live nearby and I haven't seen any.

Near Holland, or near Moxyl?

Holland. I'm checking the weather reports now. It is freezing, but not snowing and the sky looks pretty blue (some white clouds, but not the snow kind)

Report says no snow sad Better luck around Christmas big_smile

5. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Looks like a winter wonderland for all - cold and sun for those who have no snow! I must dig out my possum wool hat from NZ as it it the warmest hat ever.

Apparently we have another ten days of deep freeze at least, so we all need to wrap up warm!

6. Susana S profile image95
      Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Apparently it is going to snow here in Essex at midday, lol! Half an hour to go.....

7. Wriggling Writer profile image59
      Wriggling Writerposted 13 years ago

Counting down in Essex, too, then - or at least the kids are!  Can't believe how frosty it is still!

1. Susana S profile image95
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool - another Essex lady smile

8. kirstenblog profile image79
      kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

It's so cold I am chain coffee drinking for the warms, I will be walking on the ceiling soon! lol

1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention running for the toilet smile I am on my second litre of tea.

Tell me about it! lol
          And we got a busted toilet seat to boot! Gotta be careful sitting down or it will totally break yikes

9. Spacey Gracey profile image39
      Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Oh Wriggly - where in Essex are you? Me and Susana are in Essex too.

I am loving another weekend UK hubbers thread - getting together quite a club aren't we.

As for the weather report from Frinton-on-sea - we had a really impressive frost, and just had 10 minutes of the most pathetic snow shower.

I am torn in two about the snow - lots of snow = no work = less money, but.....two happy children and continuous rounds of snow fights followed by warm bath, then popcorn, hot chocolate and a film, which is pretty much my favourite way to spend a winter's day.

May I correct your equation? Well I am going to anyway tongue

Lots of snow = no work = more time for writing hubs! = more chances for residual income = more money big_smile

Yes, but didn't it kill the electricity in parts of America last year? Then what are you going to do? smile

Could always get the old pen and paper out, write down notes for hubs when the electricity comes back? smile

And then crash the system through overload... I'd flip!

Could always just go out a build a snowman smile *breaks into song*

Sometimes, the world is black.
                And tears run from your eyes.
                And maybe we'll all get really sick.
                And maybe we'll all die.
                So...

Let's build a snowman!
                We can make him our best friend.
                We can name him Tom or we can name him George!
                We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall.
                Snowman!

He'll have a happy face, a happy smile, a happy point of view.
                If you build me a snowman, then I'll build one for you.

So, let's build a snowman!
                We can make him our best friend.
                We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf!
                We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall.
                Snowman!

Hey!
                (Tapdance solo)

He'll have a happy face, a happy smile, a happy point of view.
                If you build me a snowman, then I'll build one for you.
                Snowman! Snowman! Snowman!

Hahahahaha! Very good. Better build one than be one. I just don't like the cold very much, I rather look at the snow through the window. That's why it should snow this weekend rather than during the week, so I don't actualy have to go out.
                  Oh, well, let's go build a snowman! Hello? Snow, anyone? Up there? Hello?!

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

I understand your line of thinking, but I don't go out the home to work, I work from home, so snow = no school = 2 small boys at home all day = definitely not getting any work done smile

2. Wriggling Writer profile image59
        Wriggling Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Gracey!

I'm in Corringham in Thurrock.  Still no snow over here - much to the disappointment of my kids!  Just hoping for some for Monday - my school's up the top of an ungritted hill...   :-)

Wriggly (! - I love it!)

10. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

We've had three feet of snow here, car is stuck on the drive and impossible to see more than two feet ahead.  Trees down, power out and a mixture of hail, hurricane, blizzard threatening to take out the West Wing of Ewbie Towers.

That's what I'm telling the boss on Monday when I don't come in.

Because I live in a town that is out of the way (frinton - it was on the Subway ad, and a kooky documentary this year).. anyway, I used to get away with it all the time- slightest bit of snow and I would need days off because there is only one road in and it gets blocked easily. Ahhhh the benefits of living in a town trapped in the 1930s.

I saw a stand up comedy act in Frinton recently smile

Really??? When, where, who???? I need details. No one comes to Frinton except to go on the beach, or point and mock us.

To be honest I cannot remember who, it was one of those Dave shows, get a comic to preform in their home town and film it kinda things. I have not always recognized them all but I do think who ever it was they took the mick and of course now live somewhere with more then one road! lol tongue

I just went looking and cannot find the show I am thinking of, we must have deleted it and I can't find it in google, could be that I am mis-remembering? hmm coulda sworn tho hmm

2. Wriggling Writer profile image59
          Wriggling Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I watched that show about Frinton.  I just remember loads of houses with far too many ornaments! 

My other half travels around Essex a lot for his job, and he kept sitting there, nodding sadly, and going "It really is like that, you know!" 

Mind you, someone came down to ours from Ipswich the other day, and asked us if we still throw rocks at the moon around here, so maybe I shouldn't talk...

Anyone from Ipswich is in no position to jest - I worked there for years and my husband works there now. Most stories from Ipswich folk begin with 'my brothers cousin, who's my Dad, and my grand-daughters Uncle....' so so scary. And they say 'comp-poo-ter' - 'enuf said smile

11. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

We should probably point out to the global audience that heavy snow in the UK consists of one to two centimetres of mush which brings the country to a halt.

lol Yup!

2. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wrong kind of snow on the rails?  Stop all trains and tubes! It will be interesting on Monday morning with the tube strike - will it be the weather or the strikers causing the commuter misery?

12. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 13 years ago

Yep the snow has reached us here in East Yorkshire and I fell on my arse twice whilst going to the shops, had to wrap up though cos I've got a huge cough and cold and my son threw a snowball at the back of my head and the snow went all the way down the back of my neck!!

I can tell I'm getting older as I'm hating the snow slightly....Noooo, I'm turning into a Victor Meldrew of east yorkshire!!!!!!

ROFL!!!

Poor you smile
        Here in London all we got is cold, no snow yet sad
        Feel free to send yours out way big_smile

1. waynet profile image70
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The snows supposed to last a few weeks from what the weather dollies said after the news!....maybe it might sweep all over England like it did last year!

I suspect we might get even more then last year, and I have thought that since last April with that Iceland volcano going up, is likely to have major effects on the weather and if the summer is anything to go by.... hope you got warm gear smile

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Shall we start a fund for the impending hip replacement Victor?

1. waynet profile image70
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe it! lol!

13. camlo profile image84
      camloposted 13 years ago

We had snow here in Cologne yesterday morning, so I think we sent it to the UK. Maybe the UK will be sending it back to us.

14. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

we woke up to a dusting of snow which is still with us

Mum rang me from near Brighton and said it had just started snowing there- so its reached the coast ( she's half a mile from the beach)

Have been to tesco and bought sooooo mucch food that we are prepared for a snow in.

wish i had bought boots last week but hey!

Stocking up? We have done similar for awhile now (since we saw the first predictions of snow at the start of the week). We have a nice bean stew on in the slow cooker from yesterday and will add a few bits to it today to change it slightly. I actually look forward to this time of the year just because I can get the slow cooker out and have a week of meals with very little effort beyond the initial peroration of the beans (we get them raw and they need like a day soaking and cooking before they can be cooked to eat because of the chances for food poisoning, canned beans would be easier but would cost a lot more)

I found today's weather to be a very good excuse to go into town and buy a new jumper - well it was in the sale!

I have been using the strong possibility of a cold winter to buy warm jumpers since last spring! lol
            Hey I need a good excuse right? wink

Get yourself out there onto the High Street, lady! - when the weather gets tough, the tough go shopping and they do keep those shops really warm, so at least you won't be cold! smile

Don't forget to buy some chocolate for later as well!

Ahhh now is time to buy my summer gear wink
                I got some lovely warm stuff that right now would be very expensive over the summer as it was exceptionally cheep, cleaver ain't i? big_smile

Oh and I am really hoping for snow, I got these things last spring that are like tire chains for shoes (can't think of what they are called atm). I have not got to try them out yet and I am really excited to see if they take the slip out of ice smile

Yak Tracks, once I can properly test them you KNOW there is going to be a hub on them! (assuming they work the way they are supposed to)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20101127/tuk … dbed5.html

Well with the usual completely over the top response this country always has to a bit of snow, the police are telling us all to stay home!

But if you get the chance Kirsten, you test out your shoe things - there will be snowmen to be built and snowballs to throw.  My avatar picture is of a snowman I took a picture of in the fields last winter!

I should see if I can dig out the snowdog I got pictures of last year assuming I can tweak it enough to look like more then white on white....

You better believe I will be out on foot in my skiing trousers and my yak tracks when we finally do get snow big_smile Oh and my Rab down filled puffer big_smile

15. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...enjoyed reading all your comments this a.m.....nice way to start my day...thanks!

...from Canada....

16. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Hi CM, today it is 38F in the morning here, Dallas Tx, no snow yet. Early this year it snowed here, but not this early..

Am not from UK, but am sending all the warmth I can give there!

17. Amanda Severn profile image95
      Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

Still no signs here (on the coast, west of Brighton). I was in Horsham earlier, and that was still free of the white stuff, but I did notice some iron-grey clouds on the horizon. Maybe tomorrow? My kids are convinced that their schools will be closed if it snows. They go to local schools on flat, wide, busyish roads, but they were closed last Winter when it snowed. Something to do with staff coming in from North of the Downs apparently.

18. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

It's 10.30 am here on Planet Thanet, and it's now snowing!  Don't know if it'll last though.

1. profile image0

It didn't I'm glad to say (like Wayne, I too am a member of the Victor Meldrew school of snow appreciation).

I would really like a bit of snow (have to pander to my inner child!) but although today has been gorgeous with blue skies and sun there has been no more of the white stuff!

It has been bitterly cold though and there was a frost on the cars and roofs by about 4.30pm.

Should be fun in the tube stike tomorrow?

19. Bard of Ely profile image80
      Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Not here but we have a red alert for thunderstorms and it already blowing a gale!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)