Can you see a problem teaching Children about ?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (33 posts)
  1. DaKingsKid profile image73
    DaKingsKidposted 13 years ago

Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Baby Jesus.
    They find out that Santa is not real.
    And the Tooth Fairy, Not Real
    Again the Easter bunny, Not Real
    What happens to the Idea of baby Jesus?

I feel like I am playing the game, remember the line "one of these things is not like the others"

Jesus is very real and very much alive, for He has risen. The birth of baby Jesus is something that can not be associated with these other characters because eventually the child finds out as they get older that they are not real. Sorry to break it to you if this the first time someone has conveyed the truth about them to you. Know that Jesus Does Love you...

1. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I guess I just grew up a little farther than you did, I discovered that the myth of jesus and god are the only things alive.

The answer to your game is the easter bunny, the other 3 have been created resemble man's image.

DaKingsKidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So is Jesus still alive for you? If you mean in spirit and in his teachings I do agree but physically speaking he isn't real any more either sorry to say. He died on the cross.

He is on the Throne alive and well.... Romans 10:9
        He has risen, on the third day, He rose from the Grave...

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Yes he did rise but then he wont back home to his fathers kingdom. Its only saying that you believe what the historical account of his death describes.

He is within, The kingdom of God is within the believer.

Example Rev 3:20 "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me."

The door is of the heart of the individual...

Yes agree. My first post said he isn't a physical being any more.

How is He not?

I'm not getting what you are pointing to. He doesn"t have his own physical body like you and I does he? If you're referring to dwelling within the human heart, there is a huge difference.

Believers are the body of Christ

3. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...hehum, Jesus is not real but your right, maybe they should take Jesus out of Christmas and all would be marry. big_smile

More real than you care to acknowledge, but i'm not hear to try to convince you. As for taking Jesus out, don't thinks so hun. He is the reason for the season.

1. profile image0
          sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay no worries then, I was hoping to get a good description just incase I came across him.  But thanks for you time.  Happy Holidays. big_smile

2. getitrite profile image72
          getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course you are not here to convince anybody of anything, because you have ZERO proof of what you have arrogantly stated--no evidence, nada!

But you are here trying to somehow get us to suspend our intellect, abdicating our minds and becoming blind delusional followers of something you can't possibly convince us of, even if your life depended on it.  Disturbing.

No.  Jesus is imaginary.  Children should be told that he is imaginary, just like they are told about Santa and the Easter Bunny.  You can look at yourself to see the results of what happens whenever the parent fails to tell you the truth.  Now, as adults, many people walk around still believing in childhood fairytales.  This is no different than a 40 year old believing in Santa.  It's really disturbing--and embarrassing.

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
          Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, he is not.

Winter Solstice or Yule, occurs about December 21. This is the time of death and rebirth of the Sun God. The days are shortest, the Sun at its lowest point. The Full Moon after Yule is considered the most powerful of the whole year. This ritual is a light festival, with as many candles as possible on or near the altar in welcome of the Sun Child.

The season celebrates the rebirth of the sun, not the Son.

Christians have hijacked the season because of a typo.

2. profile image58
        exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sandra said take Jesus out of Christmas and all would be merry.
        we toke him out of schools and now we have guns and death in schools.
        So takeing him out of schools sure made every opne merry didn't it

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are valuable lessons in all of these myths - and they are all myths, not facts. Sorry to break it to you, but the reason for the season is the winter solstice.

It would probably help your cause if you appeared to be more knowledgeable about where your beliefs came from.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
        Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cute

5. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have not offered a shred of explanation as to why the myth you believe to be real is no different than the other myths, your proclamation is based on ... what?

2. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

I have never seen the good in teaching children lies mixed in with their fairy stories - this is called indoctrination by deceipt and should be discouraged, even legislated against.

I'm not sure when State should interfere in Family teachings. If it can be proven harmful, then the State can intervened. As a kid, I was lucky to travel in sports and that broaden the mind with many different lifestyles and views.

I wonder about child indoctrination, if the child’s only experience is a religious schools, hospitals and family.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I think if someone wants to teach their children about Jesus, that's a concept that is best left until they're too old to believe in the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy anyway.

When my kids were little, and there was a talk about Christmas and why we have Christmas; it wasn't that I'm a religious person, but I wanted them to know how there are people who celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, and those who celebrate it with other meaning for them.  I didn't mind their knowing that there's a Christmas story involving a poor baby born in a manger, who had people bringing gifts when he was born.  I figured it gave them at least that much information about why people celebrate Christmas, and when they got older they could decide what else they wanted to believe.  If I had wanted to try to raise them believing that Jesus was "more", I would have waited until they were old enough to be in Sunday school/CCD.  (I figure, there's a reason kids don't start CCD until they're in first/second grade, so that much is something I agree with Catholic Church on.)

Of course, I was raised Catholic, and I had seen that in Catholic Sunday school, the "thing" about Jesus is taught; but Catholic kids aren't told stuff like "Jesus is with you" and all that.  The emphasis (at least then) was more on God in general, or else in Jesus' role in the gospels "addressed" at Mass each week.  So, even though the Catholic Church believes that Jesus is "special" (for lack of a better word), it doesn't emphasize Jesus in everyday life.  It really does mostly emphasize God (as if, "special" or not, Jesus was, in a whole lot of ways, a secondary figure.  Then, of course, they throw in Mary as a pretty important figure (in a way - as long as they're picking "special" people - I kind of like that they acknowledge that the mother of someone who turned out to be "A Big Cheese" had some wisdom too.   smile  )

Anyway, having been raised Catholic (and not in a religion that, respectfully, kind of makes Jesus seem as "yet one more invisible character" who shows up and does things in children's/people's lives";  there's wasn't even any "equating" Jesus with the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy (at least as I'd heard about Jesus through Catholic Sunday school).

In fact, once kids are old enough to be in Sunday school (in the Catholic church), one thing I found objectionable is the way they promote the visibility (and display the violence) of crucifixes "everywhere" associated with the church.  Either way, as a former Catholic and as a mother deciding what to do about my children's religion, I didn't even have that "nicey-nice" image of Jesus as a kid.  It was the image of someone who went around and did good thing (and was, according to the church, "special") but who was most known for a violent death.  So, when my kids were little, in my mind, Jesus was "a-whole-nother" kind of character than Santa or either of the other two childhood characters.

Apparently, my parents had no problem differentiating between them all either.  I believed in Santa and the Tooth Fairy (my mother wasn't a fan of the Easter Bunny for some reason  lol  ), and my parents left the "Jesus stuff" up to the Sunday school teachers.

I don't know...   Kids are pretty smart.  They can sort out the difference between someone/something they're told is coming around to leave quarters under their pillow; and someone they're told lived a long time ago, had a "special relationship" with God, and played a big role for those belonging to religions that believe he was "special".

Having said all that...   When my daughter was three, she got up Christmas morning, stood in absolute awe as she looked at what "Santa" had left; and my little three-year-old said (in a voice so clearly filled with awe), "We have to tell God to tell Santa, 'thank you'".  Without my ever really saying anything much to her about God, she had apparently picked up that God and Santa are both beings/creatures we don't see.  I just saw her association of the two, without my ever "drumming it into her or her brothers" anything about God; as a nice thing that showed I had a smart little daughter who had some sense of spirituality on her own.  I just figured she'd figure out the difference when she got a little bit older, so I didn't see it as a big problem at the time.

The way I see it, so what if a little kid equates someone like Jesus with The Easter Bunny (or, as my verbally inclined daughter who liked playing with words used to call it, The E. Bunny).  I can't believe that if Jesus actually were "out there" or around somehow, he'd really care a whole lot if three-year-olds equated him with the Easter Bunny.  As far as I've ever heard, he wasn't an imbecile and he is said to have loved little children.  He'd probably be as moved by a three-year-old's immature thinking as I was.

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My 7-year-old is very literal (has Asperger's Syndrome).  He got kicked out of religious ed for standing up and saying, "God's not real!"  He doesn't believe in God because he can't see God. 
      He still subscribes to Santa - I don't think he's believed for years, but goes along with it - there are concrete benefits

How Santa and Christ became associated I may never know.

The act of giving, Kris Kringle was once real.
          The act of giving, Kris Kringle was once real. For all we have in life is what we give away

Then coca cola created the commercials red and white Santa Clause.
          Coca cola was once a mild cocaine medicine,
          (Put that straw up your nose and snort that white snow)

Santa Claus, also known as Saint Nicholas, Father Christmas, Kris Kringle, or simply "Santa", is a figure which was was derived from the Dutch figure of Sinterklaas, a historical, legendary and mythological figure who in many Western cultures, is said to bring gifts to the homes of the good children during the late evening and overnight hours of Christmas Eve,

1. profile image0
            Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cola cocaine?  I know coca cola helps curb a migraine for me (alternatively a weak black tea with sugar) - I'm not a coffee drinker.  Think the caffeine & sugar help

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol    It's a long story.  The History Channel did a very nice job of showing how the whole Christmas thing has evolved.  It's probably still on their site somewhere.    smile

All I know is I never associated the two.  In my childhood/house, Santa was "a happy thing", and the story of the grown-up Christ was a "serious" or "sad" thing.   Then again, the story of the Nativity (minus some details my parents wouldn't have shared with children anyway) was a "nice story" about how happy people were when this one baby boy was born.  We just had the two completely different aspects of Christmas.  I don't know...  It was all just kind of nice, as far as I was concerned.

4. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I've taught my kids that their wellbeing must begin within themselves.  If they want to live in a good, kind world, they must be good and kind.  If they want to have success and be fulfilled, they have to put in the effort and expect to find answers and actions from themself.  I've taught them to have an internal locus of control.

Externalizing the cause of good or evil is giving yourself an excuse to do one or the other at leisure.

1. KCC Big Country profile image86
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very well put, Shadesbreath.  This is very similar to how I taught my daughter.  I have taught her to think for herself and to always strive to learn more about the perspective of others so that you can understand them.  I taught her it is not necessary to agree with another's beliefs, but it is important to respect their choice to believe how they wish just as it is her choice.

She's 18 now and quite the young lady if I do say so myself. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)