"Unverified Person" left a comment,

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

have you experience this, an unverified person, meaning not a member of hubpages visited your hub and criticize your hub and photos... how are you going to react? I clicked the deny option coz it does not look good to me. Do you think I will need to adjust because being here in hubpages I am prone to encounter
    unpleasant visitors?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if the comment is good and relevant with no spammy link you should allow it. we all have experience of having comment from non-hubber.

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have a choice. If it is bad news that you don't want on your site delete it. You have the power to delete anything you don't want shown. Most of the time you should be getting good comments. People seem to be more out to be nice than the other. Or leaving spam.

Thank twice before deleting. Don't jump the gun to quick.

3. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just deny those type of comments.

4. profile image0
      Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get one of those every now and then. If the message sounds like the person is friendly I'll just go ahead and approve it. Sometimes I think it's just a kid playing on a computer or maybe someone who is lonely because they live in a country or region that doesn't have a lot of people in it.

If I ever got one that sounded mean or negative, then I'd assume someone "out there" just didn't have anything better to do than surf the net and attack me, and I would delete it.

Peace,
      Donna

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

That's why you're given the "allow" or "deny" buttons.  Use them at your discretion.  You'll always have people that agree or disagree with you.  Sometimes, it's just kids messing around on the computer.  No big deal.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

I usually only accept comments if related to the Hub article but have a hard time with those that are nice but leave a link to something totally unrelated, tongue lol. I agree though, use the accept or deny button at your discretion and don't feel badly about it. Lots of critics out there but we are our own toughest critic wink go easy on yourself. smile enjoy yourself doing Hubs.

4. Maria Cecilia profile image83

Thanks for your replies, yeah I felt bad at first, I guess I am too naive not to expect those possibilities, but you are right we have this "deny botton" and that will answer it.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

87% of my traffic comes from search engines - and at least 50% of comments are from non members. The longer you stay the more SE traffic you get. You'll need to learn to ignore spam and flame comments and not take them personally. smile

1. Maria Cecilia profile image83
      Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

okey thanks I will always bear that in mind, but is it alright to retain "bad comments"? or it's better to deny it?

1. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

deeeeeeeny

2. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it's spammy or flaming, feel free to deny - it's your article after all.

The only exception I think would be if they have the opposite view to you and back it up with sound evidence. If they're not attacking you personally, I'd recommend leaving those ones - otherwise you'll get tons of comments telling you "Stop deleting my comment just because I disagree with you!" Approving others view points will increase the respect people have for yours.

1. Tigercrab profile image60
          Tigercrabposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with WryLilt that's the way to go.

I usually try not to make any decision straight after I first read them. No matter how many bad comments I've gotten, that's when I get boiled up and angry, and the immediate reaction is to deny and delete. After I've cooled down, I find that I can deal with those comments more sensibly.

6. Maria Cecilia profile image83

oh I'm a novice a reacted right away, I should have let it stay,I just learned my lesson from you guys

7. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There is also the option to configure the comments capsule to exclude comments by unregistered users.

8. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Just deny them. I used to have the same issues...

9. SteveoMc profile image72
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Sometimes when I have a comment that does not agree with my viewpoint, I take it as an opportunity to allow it and then comment on the comment, explaining why I allowed it, or why it is technically incorrect.   I rarely deny a comment. 

The ones that I do deny are spam (advertising their business or website) or have included a personal attack.   

I don't mind people disagreeing with me, I even learned a few things that way.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Pretty much any negative comments people leave on my Hubs have been written by "unverified persons".  I post them because, because it's usually someone who read into what I wrote something I didn't say.  I approve them, and if it's a case of my being able to politely point out all the holes in what they've said (in all their "brave" anonymity) I do.  It's only been a couple/few times that someone wrote something too crude I won't post it or dignify it.

I don't mind opposing opinions.  I like opposing opinions.  They add to the discussion, and they offer balance.  I don't mind addressing negative comments that raise valid points, and I don't mind pointing out those holes in someone's argument if there are holes in it.  I've even thought it was kind of funny that someone that I think is a kid will say something like, "whatever...." or even "boring"  lol  lol   Sometimes I add those because they're funny (and lots of times I don't blame someone for thinking what they do.  lol  )

I just won't approve crude comments, and I won't approve links people (even Hubbers) try to sneak in by adding what they think is a "relevant comment" to cushion the fact that they're just looking for a link.

The good thing about "unverified" is that it isn't a "verified" Hubber (even though it could secretly be). Hubber traffic and interaction is nice, but outside traffic is what's better; so I've always thought that "unverified" is at least more likely to be from outside (don't know enough about how tracking that kind stuff works, though).

11. Marcus Teague profile image60
    Marcus Teagueposted 13 years ago

I think it's important to recognize the difference between "flame comments" and "criticism".

Flames are insults with no basis to them. They have no rhyme or reason other than to hurt someone's feelings. Specifically, they attack the person and don't hold water.

Criticism is thoughtful examination of your content and shows you where something needs work. Deleting and ignoring everything that doesn't worship your content is hurtful. Whether or not the person is kind in their comments doesn't matter too much, I see it's at our discretion. But if they disliked something, there's a reason.

I like SteveoMc's approach.

12. Maria Cecilia profile image83

Thanks for the taking the time with my inquiry, you all have a point and the next time I'll encounter something like this I will really think twice If it deserves to be denied or not.

Opposing comments are ok I have received some that I approved  because they are not offensive but additional information.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)