Long or Short Title?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Moxyl profile image72
    Moxylposted 13 years ago

Just wondering what works better - long or short hub titles? And why?

Thanks!

1. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have always been told short but i have a couple of long titles to do with video games and they each get over 500 views a day so i think as long as you have a good niche it shouldnt matter!!!

2. profile image0
      Jake Gene Barnesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say... as short as you can make it while still accurately describing the content is probably the best route to go.

2. cookibuq profile image63
    cookibuqposted 13 years ago

Depends on what you're writing about. If the topic is pretty straightforward, a short title would do. If it incorporates a few different concepts, you might wanna go for the longer title to explain it more. That way it won't be misleading for the reader, methinks (:

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've always wondered which is better with the search engines. Anyone know?

1. KristenGrace profile image61
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm definitely not an expert, but I actually have succeeded with both long and short titles.

1. saleheensblog profile image61
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

depends on the niche competition

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

A short title is said to be more SEO friendly, but with higher competition. Longer titles are more niche-oriented. Without claiming to be an expert, I prefer a short, descriptive title that includes the valuable keywords.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 13 years ago

What do all of you think of using long titles in order to stuff more keywords in? For example I just published a sales hub about modern furniture, so in the title I used "contemporary, modern, mod, funky, cool furniture" or something to that respect. Is using all those redundant words smart or a bad idea? I guess I've been selling on ebay too long, LOL. (It is smart to do on ebay).

1. Barbara Kay profile image73

Stuffing in a lot of keywords was what I had in mind.

5. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago
    1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Saleheen. I will digest that info. You have been very helpful to me these last few days!

glad that I could help tongue

2. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good read especially the second link. Thanks.

3. Barbara Kay profile image73

Thanks for the links.

6. AlanZimmerman profile image60
    AlanZimmermanposted 13 years ago

One important thing to consider...is that you should try to grab a shorter title when you first post a hub.  Long titles have less competition, and you can always change your title.

You cannot change your URL on your hub, so its best to grab short titles in the beginning.

why? I don't see any benefit.

7. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I totally agree with Alan. I start with short URLs and work my way towards longer ones when the shorter ones aren't available.

Excuse my ignorance, but if long titles have less competition... Isn't it good to have less competition? Sorry, I am new and my head is spinning!

Let me elaborate. After publishing a hub the search engines give it a boost in the page position to kick off. If its a good one you will find it even in the first page. After a few days or weeks it loose its position and climb down the pages. If the hub is a good one it starts to climb up the pages again and after few months it climbs up to the position it really deserves to be for certain keywords both for your used and non-used tags as search engines itself can pick the keywords from your hub.
        Now if you have chosen a short title with one or two keywords that are valuable both in terms of traffic and CPC you will get the benefit of the earlier favor of the search engines. In first few days you will get good amount of traffic and if the hub is really good in that time you may get some organic back links also.

After few weeks or months when your hub has lost its position you will see steady traffic and you can research then for which keywords your hub is really getting traffic by using Google analytics and HP hub stat>keyword and title tuner. You can then pick more keywords from your research and add in the title to optimize the title and for a lower competition niche.

But the earlier boost will not always take you to the first page. It depends on how short and how competitive your title is. For example, if your title is "Keyword Research" you are less likely to be in the first page as its too much competitive. But "Best Keyword Research Tool" could take you to the first page. Now after few months or weeks if you see that you hubs are getting visits for such keywords where words like "Google Adwords", "Keyword Analysis" is embedded in most of the time then you will consider to change the title to "Keyword Research and Analysis with Google Adwords."

I have written a hub on keyword research, you can read the hub if you like.

1. Moxyl profile image72
          Moxylposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thx a lot for your detailed explanation. I'll try out several ways you suggested and see how it goes!

2. lrohner profile image67
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just want to clarify two things on this:

First, this MAY be the case when you publish the hub. There are a lot of factors that go into determining if and when your hub reaches the top of page 1 and whether it stays there or drops off.

Second, keyword research should be done before publishing a hub. Getting to page 1 in the search engines is ONLY important if people are actually searching for your keyword, and your keyword research should tell you the popularity of your chosen keyword. You can work very hard to get to page 1 for, say, "green-headed parrots that wear diapers," but if no one is searching for that term, your work has been a waste of time.

agreed

3. Peter-Jan Celis profile image60
          Peter-Jan Celisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Saleheen! Your info explains exactly what I saw on my hubs: Great initial traffic, than lower. No reason to panick I see now. Guess I will now start seeing increases over the next months.

2. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are talking about less competition, but the search volume is likely much smaller.

3. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First, let's not get URLs and Titles confused. My personal preference when creating a hub is to get a short, broad URL and a focused, more specific title. So if I was going to write a hub about "purple dogs that bark with their eyes closed," my title might be "Purple Dogs That Bark With Their Eyes Closed" and my URL would probably be hubpages.com/hub/purple-dogs.

Why? My URL still applies if I decide to change the focus or keyword of the hub down the road, it applies to a broader audience and still contains the main portion of the keyword.

8. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 13 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for your explanations and advice. Based on what you all have written, I'm thinking I've made some of my titles too long. But I am still reluctant to remove keywords from the title. I also need to go back and look at my URLs. I guess I assumed when I used the title tuner to add keywords that my URL was automatically changing too. My mission for today is to figure out how to use a keyword tool, LOL.  And Saleheen, I will read the hub you wrote about it. Still trying to wrap my mind around it. I don't have a techie's mind as I'm sure you can all tell! Thanks again everyone.

here is the hub http://hubpages.com/hub/SEO-Keyword-Res … ch-Engines

you can't change URL after it is made. So be careful when you create one.

Yikes, I have so much to learn! I had better start writing some hubs with shorter URLs. Thanks for the link!

2. WoodsmensPost profile image62
      WoodsmensPostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SmartAndFun

I wouldn't worry to much about the longer titles. If  you search for one of those hubs you will see that only the first 70 characters plus spaces shows up in the title of Google. This can be important to consider when adding longer titles although search engines read the entire title. viewers only see the first 70 characters.

Title + description snippet and keywords is what is important

URL length is debatable unless it is pointing to a specific website with keyword in the domain but still with hubpages must be relevant to the content of the hub.

9. L.L. Woodard profile image67
    L.L. Woodardposted 13 years ago

I'm going to reveal my freshman status and lack of knowledge, but this seems the place to do so. : )

How does one create the URL for their hub?

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you type in a title, a URL will be automatically generated for you. If you want a customized URL, there is a field underneath the title field, where you can type in the desired URL. Pasting does not work as well. Do not type the prefix (http://hubpages/hub/) merely the subsequent part, e.g. "Author-Generated-Content".

10. lisavanvorst profile image64
    lisavanvorstposted 8 years ago

I like the short titles. I think when browsing what to read, it is easier to spot what you want to read with a short title. Just my opinion.

11. NateB11 profile image89
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I've had 7 and 8 word titles do very well and haven't noticed short titles doing particularly well. So, I'm not so sure about the advice about shorter titles that you often hear/read. I think, as far as traffic goes, using keywords that are searched for and are not already (too much) written about is more the key. In other words, the old thing about search volume and competition in choosing keywords/titles.

Here's a hint: People often type questions into the search engine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)