What REALLY is evil?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

Many believe evil was spawned for/from a fabled entity called Satan (some a fallen angelic being titled Lucifer). After reading three amazing hubs on the subject and sitting here in HubForum, it occurred to me that it might be safe enough to ask this question:

What REALLY is evil?

I don't mean the post characteristics of evil: like war, murder, lust, etc etc, I mean what is evil. If evil is the complete opposite of light, how can light perceive its presence? If evil has no purity, light would not or could not be among it.

Is evil simply "jumbled" light, a confused collective of energy -impure but nonetheless tangible. Is darkness simply abandoned or unformed, non-united purity.

Darkness and light existed together before creation. Darkness was void of order, unity. Evil is identical. It is void of order, unity and purity. As is the human mind. Is evil, the human mind of chaos, simply put, out of sync with light?

Man was plunged into darkness, into his millions upon millions of thoughts at work on his behalf. When previously, all things were pure and known to him, in the light -in order.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

evil is the backward spelling of live

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the psychopath is evil - they take pleasure in hurting others and have no remorse.  Like the psychopath I met that  murdered his wife and neighbour, raped their corpses and buried them under the house.  I thought this man was creepy.  I didn't realise how dangerous and evil he was.

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image59
    Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years ago

Evil is ignorance as simple as that! But when one dives deeper into occult knowledge and perspectives of what is hidden behind the veil. We find an accumulation of a tremendous amount of negative thoughts that produce energy that manifests forms that bad people when they die they can use. (If they wish.) Thereby producing evil entities that people may call demons or some demonic being, mean ghost, etc.

I think that the accumulation of evil is used by any deceased 'negative' soul after they die if they so wish to use that energy to create more havoc upon the Earth.

One's thoughts lead to the future and what one thinks goes out and creates a gathering of energy matter that can be used to wreck havoc. If a soul chooses to enter into that energy mass.

Thoughts our things.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I simple thought for evil, it's the absence of reason

The bible has the longest list of reasons in the world

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I think evil is its own thing, and it's about the consequences of acts that result in intentional harm to anyone or anything; or else about acts (and their consequences) that go against what is nurturing to other living creatures in this world, or to the world, itself.

I don't think it exists "in the air" or in the form of any "spirit", other than in the form of a damaged, hurtful, conscience-less, mind.

In other words, I don't believe anything that exists in Nature is evil, and I don't believe all "bad things" in the world are evil.  Evil is what people do when they disregard their own conscience or don't have a conscience at all.

I think if otherwise good people who have a good conscience do something that results in what looks like "evil" in someone else's life, out of not knowing any better; it's not really evil (even if it looks like it, and even if the consequences are horrible).  To me, this is where true remorse and forgiveness have a role.  Bad things that happen in Nature, or bad things people do without meaning to do them, aren't, to me, "evil".

I don't happen to think intentional and "true" evil is forgivable; because it goes against the "nurturing life" or "nurturing other living things" or "caring for the world" that I believe any God would expect of anyone He's given intellect to.  To me, "evil", is just the name we give to intentional hurtful acts that go against caring for other life (and the world), and the results of those acts (as in, a murder commits evil, but the family of the victim experiences evil in their life).

I'd disagree that ignorance is evil.  Children are ignorant about a whole lot of things, and they may even be capable of doing awful things; but I don't think any but the most seriously conscience-less of children commits true evil.  They commit "ignorance" and "foolishness" and "emotional immaturity".  Besides, the world is full of ignorant, but loving and compassionate and very good people.

4. JulesGerome profile image60
    JulesGeromeposted 13 years ago

Evil is only a way of feeling. Like Love, Hate, Fear, etc. Nothing mysterious about it. It's  an accessory of Life.

5. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Evil is the sum total of nothing.

By it's own nature It simply cannot exist, for there is no order in itself.

When a mind is evil is actually the same thing. No order to it at all.
    Nevertheless Truth brings order to all things and that is why it  Life and Light now we are able see and exist.

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just my opinion .... evil is just a word that we made up to describe a condition that exist when we are not one with ourselves.
          When our conscious analytical mind has fallen away from our subconscious mind thinking that it is unnecessary.
          Anything that causes this falling away is a sin.

Which would explain why to lust after your neighbors wife is the same as if you have already committed that sin.  This has already causes division of oneself.

This is the message that Jesus taught.  But we have to be of one mind to hear it.

1. kess profile image60
        kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The state of double mindedness is the Sin itself not the actions per se.

Take for example lust after your neighbors wife,which one of us is not guilty?

so therfore we should pay less attention to the actions in themselves , and more to keeping the singleness of Mind.

In actuality if we keep looking at actions to judge them as good/ evil our double mindedness will remain and we will be unable to free ourselves from the Sin effect.

Plus one we designate a particular actions as evil we are merely limiting our freedom as individuals, because we are not able to allow it within our own selves.

One thing most people in religious circle miss,  and are scared to mention or even discuss and which they cry blaspheme if mentioned.

He God the father is the cause of Evil because it was by His doing Darkness and Light is merged.
        and this  is the cause of the nature of sin in us.

Why because he wanted us to see both the good and the Evil.

Now His reason for doing such is not for the sake of Evil but for the good for US His Sons..

As one continue to seek walking in singleness of Mind, then they see TRUTH, and they will understand the GOOD purpose of all these things and free themselves from all condemnation.

For to God the perfect He sees Only the GOOD so are His sons..

6. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think evil starts when there is a lack of empathy and a total focus on self only.

7. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

How can one sin not be any greater than another?

Imagine that you have a precious cup.

It matters very little if your child broke it while playing with it out in the yard which it was told not to do ...  OR ..
    they threw it against the wall in a fit of  anger ! 
             NO DIFFERENCE 
    The cut is broken.

8. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

IMO Most Wiccans don't believe in evil as such. A human can do things that are evil. But evil isn't seperate from the human world.

Evil is really "missing the mark" by a mile. When I say this I mean people are not born to be evil yet while striving to reach goals not related to nature and the devine, people get off track.

So does evil exist? Yes, of course. On one level. It's easy to see evil at work in the world. The three-fold law provides penance for Karma gone bad.

Yet on another level, we know that the Divine transcends it all. On the most fundamental levels, there is no such thing as evil.

But it takes a great degree of spiritual insight to see beyond the appearance of evil to the Divine beyond.

Teri smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like a yin and yang

9. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Is there anything that does not possess this evil-good thing?
    All-in-one, depending upon our prospective.

One "thing" that is struggling for survival can be seen as evil by the eyes of a "Thing"  whose survival is threatened by the other.

So; would the survival of a "THING" contain within itself both good and evil? 
    according to our definitions.

1. luvpassion profile image62
      luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jerami you have hit on it. Nothing in this world is inherently good or evil, nature like mankind is a neutral force until acted upon by an outside force, such as society, not a mythical entity called the devil.

smile

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"That's what happens when two worlds collide"

An old C&W song says it all.

I have noticed in many relationships that neither person is right or wrong when that relationship doesn't work.
          Neither is good or bad but simply incompatible.

Sometimes, incompatible can be said to be a good thing?

We learn from inconpatible..ness

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)