Why do some people need to run down other religions...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

in order to feel good about their own?

1. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

guess it is human nature ...

2. nell79 profile image79
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My best guess is that it has to do with one's own insecurities and fears of what they don't know or understand. It could also be a way of for them to reaffirm to themselves that they've made the right choice because...(insert what they believe is wrong about the other religion).

Religion isn't the only thing people do this with. A person's lifestyle, traditions and beliefs in all walks of life are subject to this. It's just human nature.

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what their religions teach them to do. smile

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

IDK, you get the same result when someone puts theirs up. big_smile

5. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Its a learned thing. Unlearn the habit and learn a better habit of respecting others totally and unconditionally. Allowing people to be different and to have their own point of view whether it agrees with your own or not, is far more rewarding than the learned habit of running others down because of what they believe.

6. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

a lot of people can't handle that not everyone agrees with them.  Even those without a religion get attacked.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

True enough. Not being able to handle that not everyone agrees with us usually is a good sign to explore our own convictions. Emotions can be very useful or not. This applies to any area of our lives.

7. livelonger profile image85
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They might be dogmatic and authoritarian, and believe that everyone should believe the exact same thing they do.

This goes for certain people who are religious or anti-religious. They are usually the same type of people, and I often find that even when they switch belief systems, the propensity for dogma and "evangelicalism" stay with them.

As far as I'm concerned, if your beliefs don't affect anyone else, they shouldn't provoke the sort of hostility and anger that they often do.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ssooo   every body needs to quiditt !!

2. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread Uninvited Writer. I have been dismayed to see how much of that is going on in this forum... very sad.

It's obvious that some people have an agenda. They ask these ridiculous "questions" really just to convey their (often hateful) views. It really just comes down to their intentions, which are to bash, ridicule, and belittle another faith and its adherents. They know how to push people's buttons by using hot topics (like terrorism) to get people riled up. And sadly, the mob mentality takes over and others with similar views join in. Sadder than seeing people post such things is people not calling them out on it and kicking them out. I thought the HubPages community was better than that.

3. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Religions are just like everyone else.  With flaws.

And it is easier for one to see the dirt on the back side of some one else's knees than it is to see their own. 

Gotta drive across town now but saw this post and couldn't help but comment first

4. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Pls explain why there are more than 40,000 protestant sects (cults) worldwide. They all  disagree with each other in ref to thier interpretation of the OT and the NT. Then ya have catholicism which claims it is the only correct belief in the bible and this "god thing."
    Oh my! then ya have islam and judaism! It seems that all of them have problems with each other in ref to their scriptures and beliefs.
    Why would ya suppose this is? Or am I being too optimistic in hoping for a logical, well reasoned answer?  Hmmmm?
    Qwark

Cause we are all people.
        For no other reason,  just cause we do.  Seems every does it.

5. awoodog profile image60
    awoodogposted 13 years ago

I think it is because nobody wants to be wrong. I haven't talked to many religous people who don't think thier religion is the right one. To each thier own I say. We are all the same, and as such have the right to see things through our own eyes. Treat oneanother the way we would like to be treated. Be honest and try to do good.

1. kirstenblog profile image77
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know your religious beliefs but from the post I love the 'meat and bones' of your beliefs. If more where like you we could have some shamshing conversations here smile

6. TheNeoHumanist profile image58
    TheNeoHumanistposted 13 years ago

I think people need something to believe in. Otherwise they wouldn't be willing to suspend their reason and take the leap of faith so easily. Life without a belief in anything - something - is exceptionally difficult.

And this is what you believe.

If this makes life more bearable for you, that is a good thing..

2. Slarty O'Brian profile image78
      Slarty O'Brianposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@TheNeoHumanist

I'm sorry to barge in but I just wrote a hub about lack of belief in anything so It struck me as interesting that you mentioned it here. We are told that faith is a requirement. People can not live without belief of some kind. But it isn't true and it isn't all that hard to do away with in your life.

The simplest explanation is you adopt a wait and see attitude toward anything speculative and simply accept facts as facts. You do not need to believe in facts because that is redundant. They are or are not facts regardless of whether you believe one way or the other. You accept them until they are proven wrong. Belief in anything speculative is just wrong because you have no real basis for believing it.  So belief is not required at all at any level.

And I don't mean one needs to cultivate a negative belief either. Don't get me wrong. You can rid your self of all forms of belief and be happier for it.

In the context of this thread, the reason people hang on to belief is complicated, but it boils down to a couple major points. First of all there is a human desire for instant answers. It's almost a cultural crime to say I don't know and I'm happy to not know for now. I'll wait for new evidence if any ever appears. In the mean time I have no belief about the subject one way or the other.

The other major aspect to it is hope. If you don't know for sure but you can hold on to a faith, you always have hope. It's like playing a lottery. Until the numbers appear and are read out, you always have hope you might win. Once you know, you realize you are a few dollars poorer. An ever lasting life, for instance, is a big hope. You might see lost loved one's etc. So if you are wrong then not knowing for sure is the best thing for some people.

So that's the danger of belief as well, you see. Once you know the facts, if your hope is shattered, you can cause yourself a lot more pain because you made that hope part of you and it was ripped away.

So the solution to existential pain is simply stop believing anything. wink To me it is better than holding on to faith in the absence of evidence or in fact, often against the evidence.

And let me make it clear that lacking belief does not mean you can't have opinions. You can base them on facts and make sure you are willing to drop them if they prove wrong.

7. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Why do some people need to run down other religions... ??

Cause they don't know no better.

8. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I think for some the problem stems from frustration. I have seen just about every belief system that is popular with this or that group of hubbers get put down, so the Atheists get put down, the Christians, the Muslims, the Jews and if we had more Buddhists posting here they would too I bet. For myself I can sympathize as it gets progressively harder to respect those whose beliefs include disrespecting others beliefs. When I see hypocrisy I loose respect faster then you can say 'hypocrite'. On the other hand I have the highest respect for those who just practice and don't preach, they are the most likely to expand my mind and introduce new ideas and concepts smile

1. Unchained Grace profile image60
      Unchained Graceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Essentially, religion in and of itself is manmade. Therefore, we are bound to have different doctrines although there is one Bible (in many different versions) these days. Typically, because doctrine is different for many, there shall no doubt be conflicts. This is to be expected.

While everyone has their own favorite character in the Bible, mine has and always will be Blind Bartimaeus (Mark 10:46-52). My reasoning is that Bartimaeus represents one who got tired of being sick and tired. He got up off the roadside and did something about it. Sometime ago, I wrote "The 7 Key Steps to Deliverance" based on this passage.

As one who was formerly homeless and a stroke victim, I could relate to Bartimaeus. He represents hope for so many with the caveat that we must first own the issue and really be focused on doing something about it. At one time or another, we all feel the drag of carrying our past with us which amounts to useless baggage. W can use it as a learning tool and as a testimony but not as an anchor. I thank you for your time.

9. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I know there are people who just like to run down other people's beliefs (because it's apparently some version of "fun" for them), but I almost wonder if the reason there seems to be so much of it on here is that at least a certain percentage of what looks like "running down" is actually a matter of a lot of people just getting sick of seeing thread after thread of someone else's piping off about his own religion.

True, nobody has to come to the forums at all if they don't like what is sometimes - like - 60% threads (latest threads) that are someone preaching or otherwise focusing on their own religion; but if someone thought he'd like to dabble in the forums for awhile, only to end up feeling like it's "all religious threads", he's likely to kind of start resenting that.  So, either someone who is sick of the preaching either leaves (and kind of resents it) or else stays and skips over all the religious stuff until he finds the sometimes rare thing that's not a religious thread.

I'm not defending "running down" of someone else's beliefs, but if someone's here anyway, the chances he'll start to get irked after awhile with all the religious threads are good.

Again, I'm not defending running down someone's beliefs.  I'm just saying I think one reason people start to get to post things that look like "running down" may be a matter of people eventually thinking, "Hey, I've been irked by all these threads for a long time.  I feel like doing a little 'talking back' today."

Even outside the forums, and just in life in general; I think a lot of people who would otherwise "live and let live" get irked after they've had enough people approach them, preach to them, lecture to them, about one religion of another.  They get sick of it and decide they're going to "talk back" (or even go on the offensive).  I'm not saying it's right, and I'm not saying that a whole lot of people who mind their business and don't try to force their own religion down everyone else's throats "deserve" to have their religious beliefs run down for no reason.

I think, though, a lot of people are pretty much up to their eyeballs in other people's religious beliefs, and a lot more of them may even be angry that they once had religious beliefs they've since discarded after being disappointed - and voila, you've got a lot of "running down" and "borderline running down" going on.  I'm not really a lot of it is about trying to make oneself feel better about his own beliefs.  Some is, but I'm not sure that's the main reason for a lot of it.

One other thought, though, is that sometimes people honestly do like a good discussion/debate about one belief or another.  Sometimes, maybe, "debate", can appear to be "running down", when - really - it's only bringing up an opposing concept.  There can be a fine line between "running down" and "opposing concept", and some people's bar for that fine line is lower than others.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

A need to be heard perhaps?

Attention or vanity ,listen to me ,Im better educated ,so I know more -arogance,all of the above lol

buggared if I know anymore smile

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)