Imagination and Thoughts

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)
  1. Jouneyman2 profile image57
    Jouneyman2posted 15 years ago

Recently I posed a challenge to another poster (an Atheist) who had presented that it was my place (as one who believes in God) to present information to him ( that he would judge as being viable or not ) that proved the existence of God. I responded that as I had accepted that God existed and as it was he who was challenging my acceptence, it was he who faced the burden of proving his opinion .

None the less, I presented him with  Facts  that challenged his claim that "invisible things do not exist",  and asked that he disprove these Facts.  His response was not to accept the challenge but to avoid the topic, resorting back to the same tired, worn out tactics and rantings of distraction that most who proclaim Atheism resort to when confronted by something their religion does not offer an explanation for. 

As of yet he has not accepted my challenge, choosing instead to continue in his ranting; so I decided to present it in a more open forum.

My challenge is this:  If, as Atheists claim, "things invisible do not exist", how does one explain the existence of imagination and thought? Thought can not be evidenced except by its product ( that which it produces) be it a movement of the hand or the very words you are currently reading, which obviously existed as thoughts before I typed them onto this page.Yet we know by these very products ( proofs ) that thought does exist. Furthermore, it is said that a man is what he thinks; the sum total of his thoughts, ideas, opinions, memories, and identity. Therefore; it logically follows that if one refuses to acknowledge that ' thought '  exists, he in essence is refusing to acknowledge his own existence.

The same is true of imagination. Imagination can not be evidenced in and of itself; only through that which it produces, be it a drawing, model, room layout, color scheme, cartoon, etc. What was the automobile before Henry Ford drew it out on paper? Was it not a figment of his imagination?

Now, my argument is this, if things that one cannot see (are invisible) do not exist, how does one explain the existence of one's own thoughts and imagination?  If, according to the theory (that something has to be visible for it to exist), thoughts and imagination do not exist; how is it possible that I am typing these words and you are reading and understanding them? Furthermore, how is it possible that the very computer you are viewing them on exists? Did it not first exist as an idea in someone's imagination? But, if imagination doesn't exist (as it in and of itself is not visible), how is it possible that your computer was ever made into reality, as it could not have been imagined in the first place?

So there it is. If anyone can post a picture of thought or imagination, Not a Product of It; but of the Power Itself, I invite you to do so.

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh my goodness I believe in God too, however because someone is an Atheist does not mean that they are not entitled to believe what they wish as well. As a christian part of our problems with not leading others to God , is because we push our religion on them and then there are so many hypocrites they mock us and try to down play christianity. I don't blame them for making us try to prove ourselves. I know who you are talking about and you know , I earned his respect and he earned mine as you see , WWJD and who are we to judge as we have to take care of ourselves, and then pray for the ones that are not lead to God. We have to blame ourselves for not walking righteous because if we did, we would lead more to Christ , would you not agree? You cannot  post a picture of a thought or imagination and that is completely irrelevant to proving God, you cannot compare as brainwaves and tests have proven our thought patterns and imaginations, the only proof we have of God is the Bible and what we have been taught to believe. We know God is real as we have had things happen in our lives to justify him , but others have not.sad

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are the one who was ranting, but still - have you never read Descartes?

And in answer to your rather inane idea that because one invisible thing exists, this somehow proves that another one does:

How does the existence of one invisible thing prove the existence of another?

Let us say for a moment that "Imagination," is an invisible something that does exist. I will accept that, although there is a good argument that this exists only for the person experiencing it.

Now how does this prove that Santa Claus, god and the Flying Spaghetti Monster all exist?

And I would say this whole thread is Proof of the Power of Imagination. lol

And I challenge you to be less offensive in your conversations.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

DesCartes walks into a coffee shop and the waitress asks him, "Would you like cream with that?" Descartes answers, "I think not." And disappears. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But where did he go? lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)