where does our mind go when we are sleeping

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (109 posts)
  1. profile image60
    BestConcernsposted 13 years ago

Will you try to figure it out ?!
    What do u think?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i read once somewhere that most psychologists believe that when a person sleeps they go into a dream like state where the person lives out a dream inside their mind.  However, in most dreams, the person sleeping doesn't remember anything they dream so when they wake up, they'll act like they literally won't remember anything; as the events that happened in the dream are often in our subconscious mind.  However, there are a few exceptions though when we wake up and that we CAN remember what we dream about.  But according to psychological studies, most dreams you won't remember when you wake up.  Anyways, it's been a while since I read it, but I'll be sure to post a link in this forum, once I find it for you if you like.

1. profile image60
        BestConcernsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure i will like to have the link;
        we spend more that one third of our life in sleep.
        If a person lives 90 years....he sleeps for thirty!!!years.
        So if i ask him...where were you in those thirty years and what did you do in that time?....i wonder what would he reply?

2. profile image53
        nomorerackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

as far as i could remember in psychology we go through a state of sleeping called deep sleep or (REM which stands for rapid eye movement) people get into this state after 15 to 20 minutes we usually have 8 - 10 dreams every time we sleep at night but we only got to remember 1 or nothing at all. our subconscious mind work when our body is at rest because the mind wont even bother to think what the body should act and the blood flows slows down at this state same as breathing,..

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awesome questions; have pondered on this often.
      Deep mysterious subject; doubt we'll ever figure it out. ha

3. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a sort of temporary death; Quran clears it:

[39:43] Allah takes away the souls of human beings at the time of their death; and during their sleep of those also that are not yet dead. And then He retains those against which He has decreed death, and sends back the others till an appointed term. In that surely are Signs for a people who reflect.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=42

1. profile image53
        ddlg1958posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That's pretty interesting. I always thought a dream was just a jumble of the tidbits our brains were rearranging; kind of like a computer defragmenting.

1. melpor profile image92
          melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ddlg1958, religion has absolutely nothing to do with dreaming or dreaming has absolutely nothing to do with religion. Our mind or soul as some people prefer to call it does not go anywhere when we go to sleep. We simply go into a lower conscious level or energy level when we sleep. Four of our five senses literally are turned off during sleeping thus reducing our sense of awareness. Our sense of hearing is the only sense that is still functioning at it usual level as if we are still awake. This is why we are able to wake up from our sleep when we hear sounds and it is a very important survival function for us. Without it many lives would have been lost if we could not hear while sleeping. The other way we become fully conscious from a sleep is that there is a region of the brain  called the hippocampus which sends an electrical signal to  the cerebrum portion of the brain to wake us from our sleep and if that signal fails to awake you from your sleep you will actually die in your sleep.

1. profile image50

If consciousness is life; then going into a lower consiousness could be termed as temporary death.

1. Stump Parrish profile image62
              Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it possible that we have two seperate areas of consiousness? Here's what I mean, I'm suggesting that we have our personal level of consciousness and our mind has it's own seperate consciousness. We know that the mind doesn't shut down when we sleep, as dreams attest to.  The mind is actually  freed from the distractions we provide when we're awake, and able to shift into high gear.

Playing the devil's advocate I could make the assumption that the soul is our consciousness and the mind still retains it's own. That would fit with the "Allah takes away the souls of human beings at the time of their death; and during their sleep" passage you posted.

This line of reasoning has been brought to you by a Born Again Atheist, peace everyone.

sry about jumping in here mid stream but this looked like fun.

2. profile image50

But mind or brain is a part of our self; it cannot be separated from us. If it is separated from us then we die.

Our sleep does tell us that as our sleep is a temporary death even then we get experiences; so when we have full death we will experience hereafter.

If you look at the mind as a physical object your correct, it is a part of our self. That bring this question to mind... Does the soul have a mind of it's own? How would the soul navigate and survive with out a mind or brain after, the human body dies and the soul departs, as some believe?

2. pennyofheaven profile image78
              pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So we die daily. Cool!

1. Dave Mathews profile image60
                Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pennyofheaven: I would not say we die daily. We go into a state of unconsciousness, like being in a coma. The body is alive, but the soul and brain are not aware of consciousness. This is not death.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
                  Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Dave, coma's result from trauma.

You can read about it here in order to educate yourself, but somehow I doubt you will:

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/coma

smile

I did not state that a coma was not caused by trauma I merely used a coma as a suggestion of a form of unconsciousness. Of course it is caused by some form of trauma.

2. profile image53

Ok, but defragmenting is a computer term. I don't think they're a religion.

4. Dave Mathews profile image60

That's a pretty dumb statement. If your mind is missing, then How do you dream and remember what you dream?

1. profile image60

i think you are confusing MIND with something else

MIND= The human consciousness that originates in the brain and is manifested especially in thought, perception, emotion, will, memory, and imagination.

5. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Human Mind, is the God Granted Human Awareness, of Being ...
      This Awareness ...  In The Ordained, Is Withdrawn, by the Mind, to give Rest to the human's Physical Body ...

The Mind does not go anywhere, when we Sleep ... In fact, the Mind's Going into Abeyance, induces the State of Rest, in the body ...  called Sleep.

But since the Pschologists, cannot understand the phenomenon, they call it "Sleep" ... the human State of Unawareness ... which includes the State of Dreaming ... defined as the manifestation of repressed sexual desires !!!

1. OpinionDuck profile image61
        OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, not buying this one.

1. L. Ray Haynes profile image69
          L. Ray Haynesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would not call it unawareness.  Neither the manifestation of repressed sexual desires.   I have had many lucid dreams in which I was aware of something on the outside, usually the radio or TV, by its being incorporated into my dream.  Carl G. Jung estimated that he studied some 80,000 dreams in his lifetime.  He has a lot to say on the significance of our dreams and that significance extends well beyond merely the repressed sexual desires of our subconcious.  That is a more Freudian construct.  Freud relegated dreams and the unconcious to trash heap of modern psychology.  Jung found dreams to be communications of portent from our Self to our ego via the unconcious mind.  While in some individuals they may deal with things such as repressed sexuality,  do not assume that all dreams are limited to this one aspect of repression.  Dreams and their symbology are much more complex than this and cover a wide range of aspects important to us as human beings in life.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60

Our minds stay within the confines of our human body,but our spirits are free to traverse between heaven and earth. This is how we dream.

1. vox vocis profile image80
        vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Dave.

1. profile image53

I want to dream like you guys.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Did you just make that up yourself? Not that it's so far off the mark as to be rip-roaring hilarious, but is it even supported by scriptures?  smile

No I did not make it up. It is fact.I am a spirit living in a human form. In Genesis God tells us that He created man in His image. Since God is spirit, so then is man.

I'm sorry Dave, but that is no kind of fact anywhere here on earth, that is why I asked if it was supported by scriptures, which I don't think it is. Obviously, if you didn't get that from some source, you must have made it up yourself.

Yeah, sure you are, Dave. smile

1. frogdropping profile image76
              frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol I guess you better be right Beelzedad cos maybe he's sneakin' a peak at ya tongue

As for me - my mind ups and leaves. Takes a hike. Goes a-wanderin', free of the ties that usually bind it good and tight. Me smile

Yes agree.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Out experience of mindfulness is caused by neurons in our brains acting a certain way.  Asking where our mind goes when we sleep in like asking where our lap goes when we stand up.  Or when the light goes when we douse a candle.  It is not an object, it is an action.  When consciousness is happening it is happening, when it is not, it is not.  Where is goes is "away".  And then, under the right circumstances, it comes back.

1. profile image60

i was asking about the whereabouts of awareness and the soul in simple words.
      In certain conditions too like stroke,what is the phenomenon involved regarding loss of awareness even for months and then it comes back again?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was explaining why that question is based on a fallacy.  There is not 'object' called the mind, ergo it doesn;t go anywhere.  You are conscious or you are unconsious, just as you are hot or you are cold, you are standing up or you are sitting down.  Consciousness is a behavior, not an object. p.s. I am a psychologist, so this is--to the best of my knowledge and training, 'what most psychologists think'.

Wrong.  Conciousness is the awareness of behavior.  Conciousness is a state of being.  Unconciousness is a state of being.   I guess since you have no 'object' called a mind, that makes you mindless.  Saying that because 'mind' is made up of neuron synapse firings and therefore is not an object is like saying that space is not an object because it is a vacuum.  While I agree that these two 'things' are not 'objects' we associate with physical parameters, they both nevertheless have a presence we endow with qualities, thus we refer to them using nouns(in language) which cause us to think of them as objects, not as actions(i.e. a verb) .  You also seem caught up in dualities.  I will counter your arguments there:
          concious/unconcious-  I am semi-concious, in a lucid state of dreaming
          hot/cold-  I am lukewarm,  I am in a comfortable state between hot and cold.
          standing up/sitting down-  I am prone,  I am floating on my back in the sea looking at the stars in space and contemplating with my mind the significance of it all...

Considering the soul has never been shown to exist, how could such a thing possibly go anywhere from the get go? smile

3. profile image0
    luabuposted 13 years ago

mine defragments
    i know this because its still doing it when i wake up
    luabu says hi

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Mine usually goes to the beach. I'm landing a big red while Hugh Jackman is feeding me lobster from the back of a horse, and at the same time, Liam Neeson is massaging my shoulders. All my desires in one dream!!

1. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what type of matress are you using?

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An extra, extra firm one! Maybe it's because of the two big hairy males I sleep with?

Haha too funny!

5. LoveMeter profile image60
    LoveMeterposted 13 years ago

During sleep, we usually pass through five phases of sleep: stages 1, 2, 3, 4, and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. These stages progress in a cycle from stage 1 to REM sleep, then the cycle starts over again with stage 1 . We spend almost 50 percent of our total sleep time in stage 2 sleep, about 20 percent in REM sleep, and the remaining 30 percent in the other stages. Infants, by contrast, spend about half of their sleep time in REM sleep.

6. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

For me a dream is like reading a personal diary of mine,- something that had happened, something that is happening, and something that is going to happen - the last is the scary part. Luckily it does not happen very often. In real life, not dream I never write any diaries. Never did.

7. profile image60

There are many kind of explanations regarding the question;

Religious
    Scientific
    paranormal
    psychological

no solid evidence is available on it.
    Its similar to that...if we sleep we come back in the body...when we die...why wont we come back in the body?

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I would argue that their is plenty of solid evidence about what physical and physiological conditions are necessary for consciousness.  But if you insist on reifying the mind, then you are stuck with an enigma, rather than an empirical question to which we actually have the answer.

9. profile image60

okay lets hit the core....what factors are necessary for awareness?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you mean consciousness?  We are always conscious even when we are asleep.  There are many definitions of conscious - capable of thought, will or perception; having an awareness of one's own existence.  Awareness is to have knowledge or cognizance of something.  To raise one's conciousness is to become aware of one's needs to fulfill one's potential.  Awareness in the sense of enlightenment gets into egoism and attachment, magnetic patterns which cluster in our memories and are conditioned by time, causing our perceptions to become distorted.  Detachment from outcome and equalminded contemplation are part of achieving purity of mind. 

In sleep, the mind often struggles with the attachments we have acquired, whether it be work, addictions, relationships, purchases, creativity, family, chores, duties - anything in daily life.  Detaching from outcome, we may find ourselves dreaming with joy.  The mind does not go away.  As the body recovers from the energy expelled during waking hours, the mind reorganizes thoughts we had during those waking hours.  What you think about persists.  Mind can be trained, in the minutes before sleep, to contemplate peaceful outcomes, though this is only a step because one is still dwelling on outcome.  According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali 2.17, "The cause of the avoidable is the superimposition of the external world onto the unseen world."  The elements and the senses in play is the nature of cognition, activity and rest so when we sleep, the mind is still relating and correlating.

Excellent quote!  My question is:  Is the last sentence a continuation of the quote or is that your interpretation/explanation?  I do not see quotation marks so I assume those are your words.  That is about the best summation I've seen here on this post for the activity of dreams.  Very Jungian, yes, yes!

10. profile image60

yup i think its more like a temporary death...because there is no accountability of time to anyone when we sleep.]

And we see people even die during sleep!

Still....can we hold ourselves from sleeping for a week;with so much advancements in science?

So, where is your accountability of time where you're awake? smile

2. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brain scans and respiration monitoring would show that sleep is not temporary death.  As far as the accountable thing goes, that's kind of the "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it does it make a sound" thing...  Another comparison:  If we close our eyes it doesn't mean we're blind.  It also doesn't mean the world went somewhere else either.   smile  If our brain goes into a deep sleep mode it doesn't mean we're temporarily dead either.   smile  Another comparison might be with a person with Advanced Alzheimer's Disease:  His mind doesn't function that it once did (or should) because of a medical condition with the brain.  Still, that person has a mind (it just doesn't function as it once did).  The sleeping mind doesn't function the way the awake mind does, but the person's mind is still there as long he's alive.

Our mind doesn't go anywhere when we sleep.  It just rests or else processes things (like sub-conscious thoughts and feelings through dreaming)  We wake up, and pretty much most of the time our mind is the same mind as when we fell asleep.  Yes, people do die in their sleep.  They also die when they're wide awake or in a coma.  People can have a heart attack; or in a case like Sudden Infant Death Syndrome the regular process of breathing just stops.  Those are physical causes of death.  There's a whole lot of ongoing activity that goes on in the body while people are asleep.

There's nothing spooky about it - at least not until someone actually dies (maybe) or else (again, maybe) is close to real death (and even the near-death-experience thing is questionable in a lot of ways/cases).

11. Tina Kachan profile image60
    Tina Kachanposted 13 years ago

I am on of those rare people who remember almost every dream smile

Tina - do you remember having dreamed in color or black and white?

2. profile image50

I appreciate it.
      Could you please narrate a dream that became true in the real life.

3. Tina Kachan profile image60
      Tina Kachanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm...I am not sure in general, but I do know that my last night`s dream was in color since I woke up about half an hour ago.

I really do have vivid dreams, and often dream the same people. I know that my subconscious is trying to communicate, but it is hard to tell what since it uses symbols and you can easily misinterpret it. I think in a few years when I `m older I`ll get back to interpreting my dreams. But for now it is too complicated. I always said that I would be perfect for some kind of research on dreams.

If anyone here is interested in understanding their dreams I suggest you read Carl Jung.

And I do have lucid dreams like once a week. Lucky girl smile

1. profile image0

hi all
        someguy called sleep  small pockets of death

joseph in the old testament made a good living out of dreams

your brain is being defragmented and in that process new worlds may be revealed

your dreams are mental but are heavily influenced by subconsious forces like fear/love etc

i gave up the drink once and repeatly ended up in a crowded bar where i found it impossible to get the barmans attention
        no sex for a month and guess where the dreams went then
        its a natural fun process /sleeping and dreaming
        as i have become older my dreams are much less lucid and seem more like the top quote
        small pockets of death
        now i wake up and wonder where i've been
        my body has lain in the same place for 7 hrs and myself just disappeared
        is this normal for dreams to change in preparation for a some day inevitable real disappearance
        God i miss the glory days of lucid dreams
        thomas

Not really, that would beg the question of how many entities reside within us. What you're claiming would suggest the subconscious is another entity.

All that is occurring in our brains when we sleep is the random firing of neurons. smile

1. profile image0

I'm having great fun with this question up my way
          You introduce a (must answer in 10 seconds rule) and spring the question on the victim.
          The more intellectual you are the more likely you are to time out speechless. Try it.
          You learn more about the awake than the dormant with this method.

I received the following replies
          -timed out
          -You don't want to know
          -I'm not saying
          -to dreamland
          and probably the best one

Where does your mind go while sleeping?
          Answer   Nowhere
          God I love where I live

3. pjk_artist profile image63
        pjk_artistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you can lucid dream so easily try meditating/astral projecting/ OBE while you are dreaming.  Try to get out of your skull...then stand back and watch what happens.

12. profile image60

It marvellous....it means you are a living dream smile smile

Wish there wont be anyone who remember all the nightmares !

13. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

SLEEP - It is a gift for all to get message .But most people are damaged the channel by the way of using alcohol,tabacco.. etc.
    In our life we are spending more time for sleep.It is not a waste one.We do not know and understand the channel.

14. dianeaugust profile image61
    dianeaugustposted 13 years ago

Someone once offered a thought about sleep and dreaming--it goes like this--Have you ever considered that our awake life may actually be our dream state and our dream state be our real life?  I believe there are some theories on this.  Sometimes if I'm going around doing the dishes or walking or talking, I'll stop and think, what if this is the dream and my real life is when I sleep?  I think it's a interesting premise.

1. pennyofheaven profile image78

Very interesting indeed! Heres a dream by a Taoist Sage

"Once I, Chuang Tzu, dreamed I was a butterfly and was happy as a butterfly. I was conscious that I was quite pleased with myself, but I did not know that I was Tzu. Suddenly I awoke, and there was I, visibly Tzu. I do not know whether it was Tzu dreaming that he was a butterfly or the butterfly dreaming that he was Tzu. Between Tzu and the butterfly there must be some distinction. [But one may be the other.] This is called the transformation of things."

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for."

Douglas Adams.

1. pennyofheaven profile image78

Very wise this Douglas Adams!

15. Leon Ledwith profile image60
    Leon Ledwithposted 13 years ago

Go watch inception smile
    haha, just kidding...
    Personally I don't dream at all, but I don't think that anyone can really answer where our mind goes when we are dreaming. Every person is just too unique!

If you were to be studied while sleeping, you will likely be found to have dreamed.  The mind is said to need dreams as a means by which our lives are sorted out.  Without them, we might go insane.  Ok, Leon.  Don't even go there.  wink

16. melpor profile image92
    melporposted 13 years ago

BestConcerns, our mind does not go anywhere when we go to sleep. We simply go into a lower conscious level or state when we sleep. Four of our five senses literally are turned off during sleeping thus reducing our sense of awareness. Our sense of hearing is the only sense that is still functioning at it usual level as if we are still awake. This is why we are able to wake up from our sleep when we hear sounds and it is a very important survival function for us. Without it many lives would have been lost if we could not hear while sleeping. The other way we become fully conscious from a sleep is that there is a region of the brain  called the hippocampus which sends an electrical signal to  the cerebrum portion of the brain to wake us from our sleep and if that signal fails to awake you from your sleep you will actually die in your sleep.

I've heard that if you die while dreaming, you actually die.  Most people, if dreaming of a danger in which they might die, wake up.

Couturepopcafe, I do not think that is true. Our dreams are only activities of our brain processing all the information it received during our awaking hours. We have several dreams a night  and every night during the REM stage of our sleep cycle, unfortunately, some people do not remember them after they wake up. Also, there no meaningful connections to our dreams and what we experience after having them.

melpor - I should rephrase.  If one dies in ones dream, one has actually died, though we would have no way of knowing this. (To the knowledge of those left behind, at least.)

Also, I respectfully disagree with the lack of connection to our dreams.  Perhaps it's a matter of semantics but if the mind sorts and correlates our waking 'issues', in essence recovering itself for future use, is this not a form of meaningful connection - to potentially experience something better after having them?  At the very least, a form of self-discovery?

Couturepopcafe, dreams are just random images generated in the vision region of the brain. You are right our dreams may affect our decision making process to determine what we will do in the future but this not a direct correlation to future events. It is the same way me make decisions about future activities based on our previous experiences.

1. profile image0

tiredness might indicate information overload
              when this information is sorted  and duplication issues resolved during sleep    we wake up ready for the new day / sorted so to speak/ simple

a totally natural process that can only be messed up by unusual events like stress /trauma/ drugs/hubbing etc

17. About-The-Home profile image59
    About-The-Homeposted 13 years ago

Not sure if my sense of hearing remains active. My wife says it would take World War III to waken me !

About-The-Home, You will wake up eventually if your ears pickup a loud or high frequency sound while you are sleeping. As I said in a previous post this a survival mechanisms build in most higher forms of life especially mammals. If you were out in the wild you will not survive long if you could not hear and would probably be killed while sleeping. This is why smoke alarms emits a high frequency sound to wake up everyone.

18. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

@Tina Kachan

Could you please narrate a dream that became true in the real life.

1. Tina Kachan profile image60

I personally never had a dream that became true in real life. At least not one that I am aware of. As what I understood, to know that a dream has made true in real life, first you should know what a certain dream means to its fully extent. And I already mentioned it is hard for me to interpret a dream.

But my brother has experienced that. It`s more in the little things. For example, his dream warned him of a person that is going to come in his life and how he should treat that same person.

19. profile image60

Well people say that some of their dreams have come true that they saw in their sleep.

And has it happened to anyone that someone came in your dream and the next day the same person disclose that you have also come in his/her dream the same time!

1. Tina Kachan profile image60

I now, this guy once wrote that he dreamed that he was driving in his car on a highway. In front of him was a truck. Then all of a sudden stuff started falling out of the truck. And then he had an accident because of that.

The next day, the guy was driving and noticed a truck like in his dream.  He slowed down a little. A few minutes later stuff was falling out the truck just like in his dream. And thanks to his dream today he is alive and well.

Which just proves that our subconscious communicates to us through our dreams.

1. profile image50

The subconcious can only communicate the data already in it; it cannot communicate anything of future that is to happen in real life.

This is a faculty in man to prove that the Creator God could communicate with men through dreams that become real in future, dreams which are in symbols, like you told; in vision which are more than the dreams, one may see them while one is awake; and by direct Converse.

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 had written on this subject vere elaborately.

2. lukebroad09 profile image61
        lukebroad09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an interesting discussion, I have had many dreams that have come true in real life.  The biggest one being that I dreamed my Grandad was going to die...I even woke up crying with tears all down my face...I can't explain how real it was.  Then, 2 days later I found out he had an aneurism in his artery....2 months later he died.

I believe that it is the way we feel in our dreams that is important to be aware of, for our feelings are an indication to the energy that surrounds us, that is making up our experience.

20. profile image0
    luabuposted 13 years ago

My sons response to this question?

It goes asleep

If you have to ask you're not doing it right

What have I created? He's 25

21. profile image60

Wow its amazing Tina!

There is a Deja Vu phenomenon....i think its something different from what we are discussing.

Probably if someone can comment and differentiate between the two?

22. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Can dreams warn of illness? There is a condition called RBD in which the dreamer physically acts out the dream, sometimes violently.

Mayo Clinic sleep medicine specialists have found that almost two-thirds of patients with REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD) develop degenerative brain diseases by approximately 11 years after diagnosis of RBD.

I have personal experience with this -- it makes for an exciting night life.

http://www.rxpgnews.com/sleepdisorders/ … 4493.shtml

1. profile image60

Wow...its remarkable.

you have provided a third facet in our discussion

dream occuring in reality

Deja VU

and Acting out dreams(RBD)

23. OpinionDuck profile image61
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

If your mind was a slot machine, sleep is the movenment you see while the machine is spinning, and you wake when it stops.

Unfortunately the handle or the button is missing, and we don't know what algorithm is used in our brains to process the spin.

24. profile image60

We also see that the person changes the sides during sleep....and generally does not fall from the bed....the proprioception persists?!!

25. profile image50

The subconcious can only communicate the data already in it; it cannot communicate anything of future that is to happen in real life.

This is a faculty in man to prove that the Creator God could communicate with men through dreams that become real in future, dreams which are in symbols , in visions which are more than the dreams, one may see them while one is awake; and by direct Converse.

Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908 had experienced all these and written on this subject vere elaborately.

1. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which writings Paar? The onces he stole from other well-know authors? It was decided by his own people that he was a false prophet because his writings were plagiarized!

And he swore ALL his writings were directly from God... all of it! Yet he stole from someone else! If this isn't evidence of being fake then I don't know what is!

26. profile image60

unawareness is probably different from sleep as it may be an ingredient but does not define sleep completely?

27. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

When we are awake our mind is in constraint to all we hear, see, touch and experience. Our thoughts control our minds and we steer and direct these thoughts constantly throughout the day.
    When we sleep these constraints are removed. We see nothing, hear not a lot, touch and experience are at their lowest input levels, so the mind is free to wander and run and play.

Which it does
    and sometimes it creates some wonderfully imaginative playscapes.

but when we wake up, these mysteriously vanish and our cognition comes into play and our mind is harnessed once again until nightfall when it can play again.

28. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

It is when we are in this sleep state that our mind focuses best at repairing our bodies.
       Kinda like when we were children, and our mom sent us out to play.  This is when she concentrated best at doing her chores around the house.

Sometimes we just took, sometimes we climbed trees, sometimes we went to the library to learn stuff. Sometimes I went to see the little girl next door. Where we went was "Kinda" up to us.
       The most important thing to Mom was that we were out of the way so she could do whatever she needed to do.
      Sleep is kinda like that. And our subconscious mind is Momma.

29. profile image60

Sleep is a blessing...ask those who yearn for sleep.

people in night shifts know the value of sleep.

may be it helps us to forget minor things of the past and prepare us to start our day with new thoughts and energy!

1. Jerami profile image57
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had read some articles long long ago (when I was working a 12 hr night shift) that said that we do not reap the same benefits from sleeping during day time hours as what we get when we sleep between the hours between 11:00PM and 2:00 AM

Don't know how true this is; but at the time when I was working 7:00 PM  to 7:00 Am  it certainly seemed to be true.

Time for me to get off of here and go to work.  Later

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your mind goes on a journey into inner space, to explore the obscure corners of the hidden realm which exists within you. Here, you can glimpse secrets and mysteries hidden from your conscious self.

30. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Playboy Mansion

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sMStAM2k-sEroM:http://images.clubzone.com/events/images/upload/nm_playboy_mansion_070809_ms%281%29.jpg&t=1

Now you're just groovin'  on Hugh Hefner's inner self.

31. profile image60

mind travels faster during sleep and can create impossible things when we are sleeping

32. amommy profile image60
    amommyposted 13 years ago

Everyone should read Graham Hancock's "Entangled"!

33. Midnight Oil profile image81
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

"Where does our mind go when we are sleeping"  - it goes into another parallel reality of the non-pysical where time and space have no boundaries. We re-join this parallel reality on a more permanent basis when we die. 

I know, because I have been there during a near-death experience after a extremely bad car crash.  Where we are now is the dream and we will wake up one day in perhaps 80 years time.  That is why I don't fear death as I know it is literally a passing from reality to another.  However, I don't have the answer as to why we are here in this physical dream world.  To teach us something, or gain enlightenment or as a punishment?  Who knows? I certainly don't.

To be honest, I like the dream world, I get to see my late father again and grandparents quite often.  And they always look at their best. I also see other people who also interact in my dreams and I often wonder if these are people from a pervious life?   People in my dreams sometimes tell me things, and I some times remember when I wake up in this reality.  The other night I was warned that a new boss would join my work in a week or so and watch out he is a real slimeball and not to be trusted - He turned out to be right pain in the waking world.

Oh look its nearly bed time - I am off to my parallel reality when its always sunny, without pain and life is easy -  night-night wink

Into the vastness of your own personal universe within. Look forward to your dreams. It is a hidden you speaking to the you we all see. They reveal you, to you.

34. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Stump Parrish wrote:
    I'm suggesting that we have our personal level of consciousness and our mind has it's own seperate consciousness.
    ---------

YEP ...  our mind has it's own seperate consciousness,
    that what we are aware of is but a small portion.

35. Julie2 profile image59
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

Mine usually goes to the last thing I watched on television, weird!

36. profile image50

It is a sort of temporary death; Quran clears it:

[39:43] Allah takes away the souls of human beings at the time of their death; and during their sleep of those also that are not yet dead. And then He retains those against which He has decreed death, and sends back the others till an appointed term. In that surely are Signs for a people who reflect.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=42

1. libby101a profile image60
      libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paar this sounds like nonsense to me! Where on earth did Muhammad come up with this sort of talk. When we are asleep... we dream... it is our brain doing this...period!

Qu'ran didn't clear anytihng about this up... it made it worse! It confuses everything! It tries to make a simple dream into our spirit leaving the body while we are at rest! That is crazy talk! And goes right in line with Muhammad's mind-frame... of course this is along his lines... I remember reading he foamed at the mouth too after his so-called visits from angels... so it makes perfect sense to me now!

37. CertifiedHandy profile image61
    CertifiedHandyposted 13 years ago

My mind doesn't go anywhere when I sleep. If yours does, then how do you know when it returns and how can you be sure that another mind does not retun to you? Maybe that's why the Bible commands us to renew our minds daily. Romans 12:2...

In His Service

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)