Guns for the poor!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (50 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Andrew Hawkleyposted 15 years ago

I think a good way of evening out inequality in society is to only allow poor people to have guns. Rich people in favour of gun ownership frequently say "If evil people have guns then we must have guns too". This is a reasonable sentiment but unfortunately they themselves are often the evil people with guns.

Rich people don't need guns because they can afford to live in low crime areas. As poor people don't have this option they alone have the right to bare arms paid for by the tax payer. Rich tax payers shouldn't complain about this system because it will be cheaper than having a police force. Axeing the police force will create more than enough funds to pay for this scheme.

During the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina the authorities took away the guns of devastated survivors but did not give them any protection as a substitute. Police forces are supposed to exist to protect you but all they do is stop you from protecting yourself.

So I think this move would be a big step in solving both crime and inequality.

1. BDazzler profile image78
      BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't know where you got your information but I live on the Gulf coast and the athorities I was dealing with were encouraging private use of guns as protection from lawlessness and to prevent more looting.

2. pylos26 profile image71
      pylos26posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Andrew...I know you have a degree from MIT...but are you absolutely sure about this???

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ted Kaczynski was a genius who had a BA from Harvard and a Phd in math from University of Michigan.

2. RKHenry profile image63
    RKHenryposted 15 years ago

U 4 real?

3. profile image0

I suppose if you were living in DownTown New Orleans getting mugged and raped everyday and someone offered you a gun for free you'd say no?!?

1. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

yes

2. BDazzler profile image78

OK, just a little addtional clarification ... when the statistics say one person is mugged and one person is raped per day in New Orleans ... it's not the same person every day.

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yet another ROFL! Good thread, keep them coming guys, just wait a sec, let me grab my popcorn big_smile

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64

Well, that's good news! Variety is the spice of life!

3. profile image0
        Andrew Hawkleyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You  have heard of exaggeration being used to emphasise a point?

Nope, and I never heard of using sarcasm to make a joke either.

1. profile image0

Really! You're missing out...on so little.

lollollol

4. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

So, your scenario is - a well armed underclass, an unprotected middle class and no police?

5. profile image0

Underclass= Guns for free Middleclass= Have to pay for guns Upperclass= No guns. The police are publicly owned security guards. You don't keep paying idiots who don't do their job.

1. WHoArtNow profile image83
      WHoArtNowposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Here's an idea for you,

How about NO guns for anyone?!

If no one has a gun, then no one can start shooting people.

GREAT IDEA! I wonder why it hasn't occurred to our representatives in the Capitol?

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, this sure is an entertaining thread. Guns for the poor.

Surely they would end up selling the guns to buy food instead? That is what I would do, although if you dished out 250 million guns on the taxpayers dime, I guess they would be real cheap. Would they get a weekly supply of bullets too? Or is that the catch - Chris Rock's $5,000 bullet. big_smile

You don't happen to work for Smith and Wesson do you?

1. Misha profile image63

ROFL

Somehow I did not think of such a possibility smile

6. maven101 profile image71
    maven101posted 15 years ago

Here's an idea...add liquor to the food stamp program, create a Department of Pot Empowerment ( DOPE ), pass out free birth control kits, and only allow women on police forces....Now, that is change we can believe in....Mardi Gras every day..!!!!

Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'd so move my ass to the states if all that happened!

So it's a good thing I'm use to this crappy British weather!

7. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Is this supposed to be like, A Modest Proposal or something?

8. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

I remember when the police went on strike in San Francisco. You want to see some freaked out people. Just go into a corner store at 9 oclock at night. And they had guns.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'll bet.  But I love San Francisco.  And I've stayed in the Tenderloin!  Didn't seem that bad--except for the homeless and possibly the hookers...  lol

Maybe they should arm the homeless.  Now that would be fun!  smile

1. Misha profile image63

Better arm hookers - guarantees much more fun smile

9. profile image0

Actually, I think you're wrong there, Misha....  Armed hookers could control some things, smile
    And possibly it would be much less fun for some...

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

And much more for others wink

11. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

Yes-- level the playing field for everyone.    If we all are armed , there will be a lot of leveling. (This is mild sarcasm.)

I don't disagree with letting people protect themselves.
    The  fact IS at this point: the genie is out of the bottle-- or Pandora has lifted the lid-- in  the USA.

There is no  possible way to disarm the  whole population by law.

You can only disarm the  "law- abiding" citizens if you pass an anti-gun statute.
    Would you feel safer if all of the 'good' people lost their protection of last resort, and all of the law-breakers kept theirs?

12. profile image0

I really don't know how I feel about gun control.  I mean--absolutely there should be gun control laws.  I'm thinking perhaps separate sets of rules--one for urban areas, one for rural areas.

My own father collected guns--lots of old guns.  Hobby.  He really didn't have a strong opinion on the issue, lol. 

On the other hand, there is a well-off family here whose daughter works for the NRA, and it is like they are insane.  They travel around to this and that event & the hoopla seems a bit crazy to me.  Its one of those issues that has been highly politicized.

There are crazy. And the worst effect of the National Rifle Association is not on gun control. It is that NRA money and support help elect a bunch of right wing, knuckle dragging Congressmen and Senators who oppose stem cell research, deny global warming, support teaching creationism and oppose sex education in public schools, etc, etc..

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti … 9903040382 Road rage shooting on freeway

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti … 0990309055 Minister shot and killed at pulpit

13. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

America will not disarm, too many looneys have them now to disarm the general populace. America needs money for the poor so they don't have to do crime to eat.

1. profile image0
      Amy Gposted 15 years agoin reply to this

People with no money have an option, just like the rest of us.  They can GET A JOB.  Then they can eat.  They're cowards who take the easy way out.  There's no integrity, no honesty, no empathy or sympathy for anything or anyone.  They can flip a burger in lieu of selling drugs.
      The poor don't need to be GIVEN anything.  They need to put on their big girl panties, quit crying, and go earn a living like the rest of us do.  And if they come looking for MY money, I will put one in their head and one in their heart. 

Exit Soapbox.

14. profile image0
    Amy Gposted 15 years ago

Andrew - You're retarded.  When all hell breaks loose, you'll be the first person shot by the poor people that you funded weapons for.  Congrats, hero.

15. knolyourself profile image59

"People with no money have an option, just like the rest of us.  They can GET A JOB." For a person who has not a job, and cannot find one, you sure are 
    cavalier about what others should do when times are tough. I always found it smug with self-pity mixed, that people in the richest counties in America simply could not understand why people in the poorest, didn't just go out and get a job.

16. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 15 years ago

((Andrew - You're retarded.}}

Isn't it great when people are politically correct enough not to say "Andrew - You're mental" but not politically correct enough to refrain from personal insults?

And I'm not even Andrew wink

jings

Seriously, I thought "mental" was more politically correct than "retarded" ... still it's a nutso idea.  I still think he must have meant it as a joke.

17. profile image0

I've been told mental illness comes from a lack of security. Having a gun makes you feel secure. If we give all mentally ill people a gun it would be the end of mental illness.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't it be safer to give them a blanket?

2. RKHenry profile image63

Really?  Take time to re-read your post.  I believe that you'll see that that was an awful thing to say. Mental retardation has nothing to do with being secure.

1. profile image0

I wasn't suggesting it would make them commit suicide if that's what you are worried about. Giving them a blanket would infantilise them and make them feel weaker. Giving them a gun will empower them and make them feel stronger with a sense of responsibility. Pity is the worst form of insult. You are the one being offensive in my opinion.

1. RKHenry profile image63

Who said anything about you being offensive?  I just suggested that you re-read your post.  I never said it was OFFENSIVE!  Get a life dude.

18. knolyourself profile image59

"If we give all mentally ill people a gun it would be the end of mental illness."
    Thought they already had guns. How else we gettin' these mass murders daily or every couple of weeks.

19. knolyourself profile image59

"mentally ill people" may or may not feel weak, but sort of besides the point. They are dilusional. This means a dilusion with a gun might take you, just by chance encoulter, as someone so dangerous to themselves, they might need to shoot you, which why they are not allowed to own guns.

20. WHoArtNow profile image83
    WHoArtNowposted 15 years ago

This is one of the funniest threads I've seen in ages! (retarded is such a great word!)

Personally, if you give all the mentally ill people in America a gun, your going to have 2 pretty big problems.

1. Half of them will probably kill themselves - thats a lot of dead people.
    2. The other half, will go out and rob/rape/murder people with said guns.

I know that America giving up it's right to a gun is like asking them to give up their right to SUV's and McDonalds (it's never going to happen) But you seriously need some new gun laws!

Last night, in the town I live in (100,000 people) we had an incident with the Police arresting someone in the middle of the pedestrian zone. It was 7pm, town was pretty busy (students mainly) This isn't that exciting, except they were armed police arresting a guy (mid 40's) because he was walking about with an air rifle, oh yeah, and they shot him. The majority of people had never seen a real gun before, so crowds drew quickly. This is how it should be. Give the good guys guns, and let them have an edge on the bad guys.

I should point out though, that they shot him with a baton round. You see, you can shoot someone without killing them!

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n … ticle.html

(that's BIG news for us!)

21. knolyourself profile image59

Home town story refreshing. Never heard of a baton round. What like - a rubber bullet? At any rate in America they just kill em, they don't fool around with all this namby pamby baton round stuff.

Yeah, it's our fancy way of saying "rubber Bullet". We don;t go in for the "kill" so much any more, especially not after the who London Underground shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes.

22. profile image0
    Amy Gposted 15 years ago

Okay, I'll just re-word my post for the sake of argument:

Andrew, are you mental? 

There, all better now.  And for the record, I can't find a job either.  IN MY FIELD.  That's why I'm going outside of my field to accomodate that need.  Poor people CAN get a job, even if it's for minimal pay.  Any pay is a step in the right direction. In my experience, people are too picky or too proud to take any job they can get, and that is the real issue.  I'm a professional firefighter/Paramedic.  Since those jobs are very difficult to come by in the city I live in, I am willing to temporarily flip burgers, mop floors or wash cars.  It's a paycheck.  I have a really big problem with people being babied as soon as they stumble on tough times.  I'm a product of tough times; we were never rich growing up, half the time we were told to go easy on the dinner because we have to eat the same pan of stuff tomorrow.  We did, and we did it with a smile, because we GOT BY.  I'm not a rich adult now, either.  Nor do I care if I'm ever rich.  I enjoy my work, or any work that challenges me and involves me in something.

"Poor people" have access to all the same jobs the rest of us do, and don't forget that education is widely available to support the poor man's dream.  In fact, there is government money laying around all over the place out there JUST FOR people down on their luck to go to school. 

"Poor" isn't a condition, a disease, or a disability.  It's a roadblock on the way through life, and people with no money will either choose to live with it and feed off of the government for the rest of their lives, or they will pick themselves up and rebuild their lives. 

I mean no disrespect to people who are down and out... I've been there more than once.  But this idea that they are stuck there with no apparent way out is B.S. Below is a phenomenal website for finding money for school, especially if you like to write. It's the only reason I was able to get a college education.

<no promotional links, please>

Peace.  Really.

23. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

Poor need no guns.. if you give guns to them, they may surely sell them. Better think of enough nutritious food, better clothing, honourable living space, education for children and health.  If a poor man gets a gun, he wont hesitate to take what he wants from the rich.  The present anarchy everywhere is enough and dont think of spreading more.

24. knolyourself profile image59

Guns and meds for the poor. Been looking for someone to do this kind of correlation for a long time. Today bingo. I always look to see what meds these shooters have been taking, but the press either does not see a connection or is prevented from such mention by the drug industry.
    http://www.ssristories.com/index.php

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)