What image of God do you see, when you look at the human race?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (126 posts)
  1. OpinionDuck profile image60
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

If you believe in God and the Old Testament, then what attributes of humans were the image of God?

The Old Testament says that God created Adam in his image.
    Then he didn't really create Eve, we don't even know if she came from an upper or lower rib, or even which side of his rib cage it was taken from.

We really don't know what Adam or Eve looked like.

So the question is what exactly does the word "image" really mean, in the context of the bible.

Is it a biped, or the thumbs, or a big brain, what exactly is it. Gorillas, and monkeys closely resemble humans, so what does it mean when we say Image?

1. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's this god thing?

OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK, I should have stated for those of you that believe in it.

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks babe big_smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps, it's not 'image' but instead "imagine".  smile

1. qwark profile image59

2 thumbs up Beelz!
        Qwark

2. OpinionDuck profile image60

If it was imagine, then what would your answer be.
        ~:}

1. Beelzedad profile image59

We "imagine" gods. smile

3. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why, same one I would see if I could look at you, or while admiring one's own reflection. That always makes me think. Gee, God, you sure are GOOD LOOKIN'!smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing, so this must be it.

That image of God by looking at the people in this world is scary.

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps they are describing the inner image. Because what are we without this energetic spirit that dwells within? Our bodies are temporary. If God is eternal and Adam and Eve were made in his image I doubt that they were pointing to what was temporary.

If it were the inner image, why are we all so different.
        And why aren't there any females in God, angels, father, son, and even the Holy Ghost, all male.

1. couturepopcafe profile image61

Women - a man made derivative term - were created by a goddess or godette or godet or something having to do with fashion.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80

Haha! Yep

Really, so then what was EVE, and the Virgin Mary?

2. Castlepaloma profile image74
          Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of my true spiritual leaders are women, men ego's are often too strong.

I was talking about God, and Angels, Jesus, Holy Ghost.

3. pennyofheaven profile image80

Not sure why they made God male? It doesn't really matter what gender we apply because it will be exactly what it is.

Inner image and personalities are two totally different things

An illustration might help (or not) rain is rain as far as the average layperson is aware. Yet if the scientists from my country, your country and China were to analyse just what rain is made up of, through the exact same process of analysing the rain, they would all have different results. Although the process of rain coming into being is exactly the same worldwide, the different conditions of the different environments will determine the different compositions of rain. If they recorded their results without including the effect of the environmental conditions existing at the time you will have different beliefs about what rain is made up of.

The mind of man and our perceptions of the God mind work similarly. The process of the God mind (can't think how else to describe it) coming into being is the exact same process for everyone. However the interpreting or analysing of the God mind varies infinitely and is affected by the environmental conditions of the mind. What results is often more than not dominated/controlled (can’t decide which is a better word) by the mind of man.

1. Castlepaloma profile image74

It’s like the story of the blind men who all hand felt all over an elephant.  Then they all tried to describe the elephant. None of the disscibription were exactly the same.

My ultimate love relationships happen to be with women, some others the same sex, and others it may be their doG, I mean God, then so on....

Really there is such a story! Cool!

It makes all the difference, because my contention is that the bible and God were created by Men without any intervention or help from a God.

Men ruled the world and they treated women as chattel. So that is the reason that females didn't play a big part in the writings of the bibles.

Even the part about Eve was demeaning to women. She according to Genesis was not even worthy of her own creation, she was created from Adam. Her existence was for companionship of Adam and bearing children. Remember that man doesn't have labor pains, or carry a baby around for nine months.

There is no explanation in Genesis why we procreate the way that we do? But it could have been done differently with more of the load being shared between man and woman.

Thanks

I do agree the bible was created by man. We do not know however that it was not inspired by God. For sure there were the writers own personalities and perceptions that added their own flavor. Their concept of God is perhaps limiting and tainted but that is mainly because they viewed God from their own limitations and most probably because they observed a world of polar opposites.

Perhaps you are right in assuming that females do not play an important role in religion because of mans  need to dominate? I don't know? Gladly we have come a long way from male domination.

Our role of giving birth to a child is not a load in my view but a privilege and a joy. It is something a man may never understand, it is a gift of pure mystery and magic to bring new life into this world. So I think we are the lucky ones.

Genesis for me points to the evolutionary process when it refers to Adam as being made from the earth. Apparently the translation was red earth or red clay?

Oh and...
              Taoists believe more in the feminine aspect. (I say aspect because they do not believe in God in the way most people do) I cannot remember but there are a few other religions that also acknowledge female Gods.

Genesis is so vague and ambiguous about everything that it couldn't possibly had been even directed or inspired by a God.

A God, especially a creator would know exactly how and why he made his creation.

The level of information in the bible was no more than was known at the time of its writings.

I guess we could take literally the phrase, All Men are Created Equally, to mean women don't count. If you trace American Law you will see that women didn't count in our early society.

Thanks

Yes agree.

Whilst it appeared in our culture that woman were subservient in the days the scholars maintain that in fact we were deemed as 'too sacred' to take an equal or leading role. Cannot figure out how they came to that conclusion because we prepared all the food and in some instances hunted for it haha! The men just had fun hunting and warring with other tribes trying to demonstrate their manliness I guess. Not much has changed when it comes to proving their manliness in our culture. They just don't go to war or hunt any more!

Thanks for the intelligent dialogue.

Have a great night.

2. profile image0
                    Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

in the bible, women were ranked below men and slaves were ranked below their masters.

I think that the answer is as simple as the authors of the bible that included that phrase had nothing to do with a God.

How do you mean? God created man in his own image had nothing to do with...?

As an aside;

Apparently Eve meant a female man.

5. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bible does not mention the attributes of the Creator-God correctly.
      All perfect men are in the image of the Creator-God; but the one called the Seal of the Prophets only could get the most possible attributes of the Creator-God; to the extent a human being could be in His image.

How do you mean?

And what would that image be?

1. profile image50

That would be culturing and training all and every instinct in man to its normal level ; normal level is the best level of an instict. Every instinct is manifested on the proper occasions and nothing is done inappropriately; thus exhibiting best morals to a balance human life.

This way from an animal in man; man gets progressed and is in reality transformed into a moral human being.

6. qwark profile image59

I look in the mirror and say: "good god! All male humans should look like me!"
      I am a handsome "DEVIL!"
      Damn! I made myself say that! lol
      Qwark   smile:

Are you sure you are looking at a mirror or possibly the TV.

Thanks for the humor.

1. qwark profile image59

Opinion"
          Humor? Humor?  I'm damned serious!   :LOL:
          Qwark

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Well, if it we are confined to the image of God in the Old Testament, then I would say we're pretty close to exactly the same.  Fickle, quick to anger, murderous, cruel, meddling in everything from large affairs to the banal details of a given individual's life, sometimes kind and creative, loving and generous.  Totally unpredictable, mostly dangerous, but with some good qualities too.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Nicely stated Shades! tongue smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  smile

(I'm still hoping you change your mind about vanishing, BTW. Knowing that makes posting to you like speeding your demise.)

1. Druid Dude profile image60

Like smoke! He da debil. I'm tellin' ya, he da debil! smile

bye bye

3. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Why would it not mean that we can be as omnipotent as this Divine Being (called God by the religious)?  Image as in arms and legs is an organic standpoint only. 

Imagination has become a charged word for the rational to demoralize those who's vision and ability to have broader consciousness.  Image and imagination are linked of course and are not the meaning of delusional experiences.  Though of course the rational will dispute this.

Again there is a major difference between tangible experiences and belief systems based on what you are taught.

1. qwark profile image59

Jewel:
      ...a virtual world of difference!
      Qwark

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

I like Jewels' answer.  A new voice for the, well...imaginative.  No offense, qwark.  You know I love you but I need some more people on the side of all things possible.

4. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 13 years ago

Interesting also that in my experience there is no such thing as a physical image of god.  There is the image of god as a state of consciousness.  Unfortunately as long as people use the standpoint of the human biped there will continually be the understanding that 'god' is a biped.  One has to move way past the organic.

There is the ability to feel a 'nectar', a substance so exquisite that it's not a normal occurance and is often equated with a divine experience.  This falls into a different category of Love.  There is love that humans are capable of and there is the real Love (capital L) that has nothing to do with loving the dog, loving pizza.  A parents unconditional love for it's child is a close second the the divine experiences.  We have made a debacle of Love and replaced it with a fallen poor excuse for it.

I agree that it seems unimportant (to absurd) to force a physicality on God/Gods.

God also doesn't even NEED an image.  God can just be how we try to grasp the sequence of events that is too large to fathom and needs shape to fit into our system-making, symbol using cognition.

symbols for the symbol minded

lol  yep

Again, why bother to include the phrase Image of God, when you don't know what it means.

2. couturepopcafe profile image61

Jewels' - this has always been my understanding as well.  The state of consciousness in which many find themselves is, simply put, currently not in tune with this.  Opening our hearts and minds, allowing vulnerability into our awareness and practicing thought streams of non-attachment are ways in which we can attain significant mastery of our level of consciousness.  The "image and likeness of God" may indeed have nothing to do with physicality.  The true and supposed concept of God is as a universal indweller, untouched by afflictions, actions, impressions and their results.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm about to enter a phase of practices where opening the heart and broadening my consciousness is the order of the day, by day by day.  Vulnerability is the key to it.  I like your term 'universal indweller' which bodes well with going inside (through the third eye) to experience 'god'  Of course these are personal then transpersonal experiences and not the normal mind's concept of a godly experience.  It confirms that one can be as god is but only by the act of involution and attaining a state where you are untouched by afflictions, reactions and the day to day malaise of existence. Losing touch with your physicality is a normal experience when in these higher states of consciousness.

3. OpinionDuck profile image60

So the question becomes, why do they use a phrase that focueses on an IMAGE, that cannot be referenced.

It is totally meaningless, because it has no reference for us to relate to.

Thanks

The term image is taken far too literally.  We human beings have the means in essence to reach a state of divinity.  There is much to see in relation to our fallenness from a state of enlightenment.

The problem with us little human beings is we think of everything in terms of our arms and legs - our anatomy.  But it's our state of consciousness that lives on past our physical organic selves.  The raising of our state of consciousness is that which will attain union or reunion.  Those that continue to think in terms of anatomical images are missing the point.

So the image of God that I see when looking at the human race - is a major fallenness from our spiritual essence.

You can only relate to this term image of god when you go inside yourself and open.  Opening is a major term used in spiritual work to describe the ability to stay in a state of openness regardless of what is presented to you.  If you think in terms of Godly images, God does not close, God does not react, human's in their fallen state react.  God or the divine state of consciousness, a much higher state than is the norm in us lowly humans is an omnipresent one.

The images are being referenced via the mapping of consciousness.  From my observation and experience the understanding of images in terms of the 'image of god' has meaning when you truly open yourself, meditate, do those things that a 'spiritual seeker' undertakes.

I am sorry but that just doesn't match what humans have done since the begining of recorded history.

The bibles are of no help in explaining the terms, much less the phrases, and stories within them.

The only value for a bible or a religion is to give real answers, and not more questions. If there were real answers then there would need be only one religion, because it is said that there is only one God.

Thanks

I agree the bible is of no help, especially when it's misinterpreted and misunderstood.  You have to take the teachings on the level of self transformation otherwise it's ridiculous to take seriously.  This of course has been proven time and time and time again.

I personally take little from the bible. I was raised catholic but thought it was a load of .......  basically because the teachers didn't practice what they preached.

There are very few real spiritual initiates.  You don't hear of them mainly because forums are not really the going thing in an ashram or monestary

I find it very interesting that the church (catholic) has in effect kept people from doing the real spiritual work.  I find it very disempowering to teach it's disciples to believe in an external entity that will save them when in fact the opposite is true.

If you yourself are seriously disturbed by the teachings, or lack of it from the bible and it's preachers, don't go there.  Try a serious set of spiritual practices and don't bother with things that don't work.

5. StevenPayne profile image58
    StevenPayneposted 13 years ago

That's a very good question and one I have pondered myself for some time. I honestly think it means a very things. I do think that he has a body, there are many scriptures that support this. So in a sense I guess our physical appearance could be one but what about the soul?
    Animals have emotion and even are able to reason. Put a mouse in a cage with two levers one that gives food and one that gives him a zap and he learns pretty quick to FEAR the one and even not to push it. So if you believe in a spirit maybe it is the spirit that he breathed into the nostrils of Adam.
    It's a very wide answer to such a small question.

1. qwark profile image59

Payne:
      ...senseless prattle!
      Qwark

1. StevenPayne profile image58
        StevenPayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sensless prattle? Let me rephrase, an animal has the ability to feel emotion, apes, cats, dogs, people and God. The bible supports that He is an angry God and a mercifull God. Two emotions that we all share. So this seems to me that it is not emotion that reflects God.
        A mouse in a cage has the ability to reason that pushing one lever will give him food and the other can harm him. This is the ability to reason, Chimps can do the same thing and so can pigs, dogs and even bears.
        The ability to reason cannot be what reflects God.
        Something that we do have in common is our physical appearance. This is supported by many verses that speaks of his physical appearance. When God shows his back to Moses on the mount of configureation. It says that God would walk in the cool of the evening with Adam in the Garden before the fall of man suggesting that he has legs and feet. There are other scriptures that suggest this. So it is possible that the bible could be refering to this.
        When God made Adam he was given dominion over the earth and everything in it and on it, we could be in the image of him in the aspect that we both have authority, or had it rather.
        Or it could be that there are three parts to both of us. Spirit, Body and Soul, it is a very deep question to which could be answered in a number of ways.

2. Druid Dude profile image60

We be like twins, argh. Me and me shadow. Just walking along and singin' an old Buccaneer's tune. You won't be findin' it in yer I Pod lineup, but it's a fine old sea farin' ditty.

AARRRRRGH!!

3. OpinionDuck profile image60

The phrase "Image Of God" like many other phrase in the bibles are without trasnlation for us to understand.

I responded above to this.  In all seriousness, regardless of whether you believe in Jesus or not. the interpretation of the life of Jesus was that of a spiritual initiate.  Those who wish to experience 'Image of God" need to do as Jesus did and not be of the understanding that this icon will do it for you as long as you believe in him.

Jesus didn't have a job, he didn't have a family, he was never home, and he hung around the boys, he didn't get married and he didn't even have a girl friend.

Is that what you would want all of us to do?

Well for one it's debatable whether he had a girlfriend or not.  And there are large chunks of records of his life missing so you can feel free to guess what he got up too.

You're thinking way too low on the food chain to compare the life of a spiritual initiate to a normal person living day to day and not giving a hoot as to his inner landscape.

Plus I don't have an agenda in persuading you to do anything other than what you want to do.  If you have a leaning toward a spiritual path by all means go for it.  But for everyone to reach their highest potential and to not have to look outward for fulfillment is a pursuit worthy of taking up.  But to take interpretations too literally, and not laterally and inwardly is a waste of time (in my honest opinion).

6. About-The-Home profile image61
    About-The-Homeposted 13 years ago

Iron Age man created god in their image ! Time some of you moved on.

7. DoubleScorpion profile image77
    DoubleScorpionposted 13 years ago

What image of God do you see, when you look at the human race?

I see hate, discontent, maltreatment, racism, sexism, lying, thievery, fighting, mistrust, laziness, fear, doubt, greed, closeminded and oneness...in most..

In a chosen few, I see love, contentment, happiness, family, helping, pious, hardworking, honest, truthful, respect, honor, commitment and openminded.

IMHO...As soon as everyone stops fighting and arguing over who's god is the right one and who's god isn't and learn that everyone believes in the same "god" I.E. the power/force or whatever you want to call it that allowed everything that ever was, is or is going to be exist, no matter the name you use. God, Allah, Science, Gravity, The Force, Zeus, Odin, Ra, or what other name you can think of...we as Humans can learn to LIVE and not just exist...but of course that will never happen because someone always has to be the person with all the power... there has to be the one who is always right...

Just remember...Just because the Grass is greener on the other side doesn't mean that it is better...Astroturf makes for pretty green grass...but in the end it is still just fake grass...

Thanks, I like that.

8. profile image50
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

All perfect men are in the image of the Creator-God; but the one called the Seal of the Prophets only could get the most possible attributes of the Creator-God; to the extent a human being could be in His image.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I think God must have a super sense of humour lol

Absolutely super!

10. Matthew Rogerson profile image61
    Matthew Rogersonposted 13 years ago

The concept of humans being made in the image of God is difficult to fully convey due to the disagreement between whether this said image is based on physical or spirtual attributes. For me, I believe God created what he felt would be the ideal animal and 'over-seer' for this earth and thus he created humans. This does not imply we were made in the physical image of God, but instead that we were created as suitable beings to match the enviroment.

The main idea about being made in the image of God boils down to the spiritual aspect of humans. This being that we were made to fulfill our 5 primary purposes (live, educate, reproduce, order society and worship God). In order to do this God gave us the potential to be compassionate, loving and caring just as he is supposed to be (as the classical God of theism that is). With the freedom we were granted, we could chose to follow these God given and 'similar to God' attributes to fulfill our ultimate goal in life and provide happiness to all.

What effort would it have taken from God to jot down a few expectations in simple terms, no stories, no allegories, no guessing.

The recorded history of man shows that evil is dominant, and good is easily overtaken by evil. No one has to be taught or instructed to be evil, but on the other hand good has to be taught, and instructed and continually repeated to continue.

The world today is the same as it was in ancient times, as far as human nature is concerned.

When people are on the road, and they see vehicles passing them at high rate of speeds, and using the road as a tic tac toe board, they stay to themselves, Where the hell is that person going. Hell could be the answer and the destination, but you don't see people speeding their way to Heaven.

Thanks

1. Matthew Rogerson profile image61
        Matthew Rogersonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are all valid points but unfortunately there are no known expectations jotted down by God which does make the matter difficult. As an atheist I find it difficult to justify why human nature is the way it is. From a religious perspective it would be argued that God put this evil and confusion as to standards and expections in place in order for us to overcome it by choice and achieve the ultimate good. I suppose if he jot down expectations everyone might just do them and then there would be no such thing as doing good because it is a given. Evil allows us to distinguish people as good/ bad and right/wrong and we live our lives according to this.
        If everyone was speeding to heaven, nobody would be speeding to heaven in that it would be the common, given thing to do. Those that step away from evil and speed to heaven without anyone knowing anything of it will most likely be rewarded for it. As I said, this is the religious view, not necessarily what I believe, but it does mostly make sense.

2. qwark profile image59

Opinion:
        ...respectfully, SENSELESS PRATTLE.
        Good and evil do not exist.
        Man created both concepts and they are relative to the culture,society, person who is considering them.
        "Man" is just a predator doing what comes naturally as he evolves on a planet with varying environmental influences.
        At this stage in our evolution we humans are immature, naive and gullible.
        The concepts "god and evil" are just a couple of many examples of that "fact."
        Qwark

I have some questions for you if we are to move onto the subject of evolution.
          1. What came first, male or female?
          2. Who did that first sex/gender breed with?
          3. Isn't saying that we are the design of Evolution just another way
          of saying we are of intelligent design?
          4. Why havent we as Humans or any other creature evolved for the last few thousand years if evolution exists?
          5. Should evolution be the subject in books older than the Qu'ran, Torah, Bible if it exists? Why did we just stumble onto by a man who later rejected the idea on his death bed?
          6. Why would we evolve muscle mass that we donot fully use?
          7. Why do we not use 100% of our brains?
          8. IF, big if, evolution exists or is possible it is something that should be forced than by changing one's surrounds for an extended period of time or generations. Why then hasn't any strides been taken in evolution study? How long will we have to wait until we successfully have a creature thrive in a envirenment that is not already its own. Example: A animal that is non aquatic becomes able to survive in the water and on land.
          9. If the world really is heating up than what's the big deal? Life will evolve as it always has and we will prevail.

Actually, by taking to time to understand evolution and a smidgen of science, you would have all those questions answered. smile

how about you answer them for me, explain it to me so I can understand.

LOL! Because you have not taken the time to understand evolution, I would have to spend an enormous amount of resources and time explaining those to you along with explaining how evolution works. Are you saying you can't read, "The Origin of Species" on your own time?  smile

Im saying that I would like an education on the subject who seems to think of themselves as a authority on the subject but if you think you arn't able to do such a thing maybe your not as smart as you think you are. Besides that Darwin was a racists who put blacks in a lower level of evolution that whites so I really don't thinki I could read such a book seriously.

LOL! Yes, please make sure you never read that book. We wouldn't want to think you were a racist if you did read it. lol

2. getitrite profile image71
                    getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an absurd excuse to support your ridiculous erroneous conclusions. 

That's like saying I refuse to read the U.S. Constitution, because the founding fathers did not free their slaves when they demanded freedom from the British.

If you refuse to do your research, you should leave the debate.

That is a lot of felder garb.

11. Matthew Rogerson profile image61

Again another good view, however respectfully I have to disagree with the idea that good and evil do not exist. Despite us potentially being at a position in evolution where we are naive and gullible, if we saw a murder we would think evil and if we saw somebody giving everything to charity we would think good. Whether good and evil are figments of our complex society or whether they are fully subjective views that don't mean anything to anyone but ourselves, they still exist in some shape or form. It can never be decided whether this originated from God or our own morals but something made somebody turn round one day and say "hey you shouldn't be doing that!"

1. qwark profile image59

Mathew:
      Disagree away  smile:
      If man did not exist or if he hadn't evolved the anomaly consciousness, all life on earth would be doing what its genetic programming dictates. Good and evil? It wouldn't exist. Mother nature requires "balance' for life to survive on earth.
      "Consciousness" is the reason for man's creation of the concepts good and evil.
      I can take you on on trips around the world where human atrocities are considerd as being good i.e In China where a female baby could be destroyed at birth because it was not considered to be as important as a male. Good for them! Evil for us! There are many such examples which still exist.
      Good and evil are human concepts, as I said, which vary with the environment within which the human exists.
      Qwark

That is dribble sir! How can you say evolution exists?! Why is it the human race has only evovled an anomaly consciousness out of all the species in the world?

We aren't the only species to have evolved a consciousness, what ever gave you that idea?

Of course, it is a question in which only one who does not understand evolution would ask. smile

I beg of you to explain which creatures have the same level of consciousness as ourselves, much less explain the idea that in the short time humans have been evolving in comparesion to the creatures that have been evovling much longer than us by evolution's standpoint by they have not exceeded us. Why are we at the top of the evolution food chian if we are young in comparison to the other creatures that have been evolving, shouldnt they be at the top?

I never said other species have evolved the same level of consciousness, only that other species have evolved them. Intelligence is just another branch of evolution in which a number of species have evolved.  smile

Ludicris! The fossil records show that crocs have been on the earth billions of years but yet they still wallow in mud, where is their said level of intelligence? Why are they not at the top of the evolutionary ladder?
                Beyond that Evolution really does not make sense, why the hell would we all of a sudden "evolve" into a creature that must cook it's meat in order to be safe from the bacteria? We should be able to eat food raw without the worry of harmfull bacteria, what animal has to worry about cooking it's food?
                So this ape would have to evolve to a level of intelligence to create fire or at the very lest keep a found fire burning in order to cook meat as to safe itself from bactierias that it can't handle. And you safe my faith is stupid?! yeesh.

Quite simple, really. Intelligence is only one branch of evolution, a branch that many species may never evolve to the same extent as other species, just like any other characteristic.

You make the false assumption that all species must follow this branch of evolution to some ultimate ends.

I've tried looking at that argument from as many angles as I can and still have no idea what you're on about or what point you're trying to make.

Thank you! Now I feel like this is a conversation. My point is this, evolution is the theory that a life force changes over time to better suit its environment yet the evolution of man is backwards. The idea of man evolving is this concept that a specie of ape evolved slowly over time from lucy a little 3 foot ape person to us a specie of ape that as the abliity to travel ingot space..........if evolution is possible, out of the bilions of specie of life on this planet......evolution failed. There are more specie of life than I can even think to write that have been around much longer than any ape that are still suckn swamp skum off of a waterbed somewhere and I am suppost to believe that it's because they havent needed to evolve their intelligence? The faith in this system is mindboggling.

12. Matthew Rogerson profile image61

Qwak, I accept that, but obviously that has varied slightly from your original argument where you stated good and evil did not exist at all. As a human, the concept of good and evil exists subjectively for us and it is true that without our evolution this said good and evil would not exist objectively. Although this subjective good and evil does not justify its origin or its existance without us, the general consensus can be that it does exist to an extent as we speak.

1. qwark profile image59

Matthew:
      Those concepts only have meaning to US! They have no meaning to any other life.
      They only have meaning to us because we evolved as
      conscious" social creatures.
      Every culture has created its goods and  bads.
      There are victims and prey in every animal species.
      The difference between "us" and other animals is the "fact" that we kill because of our genetic programming. We are predators.
      We are a combination of both instinct and will.
      Today, man has manufactured reasons to kill. He reseaches and develops methods to kill masses of his own species without compunction.
      He could come together in concert and live in peace and harmony, but too many elements in life fragment his immature beliefs. Beliefs based soley upon ignorance and naivety.
      Evil and good are only a reality as they relate to we human beings.
      Qwark   smile:

Chimps have tribe wars constantly for views they feel are good or evil. Good and Evil do exist and not just to humans. If all creation can except this fact why is it so hard to except the fact that their would be a being who could understand Good to it's fulliest intent and Evil to it's fullest intent and be able to govern between the two?

How do you mean govern? How would a being govern? By man made laws? God inspired laws written by man?

Be they man made or God inspired laws, the choice is still with the conscious mind to do or not to do. to be or not to be, to see or not to see?

Who then decides Good and Evil exists?

It still has to pass through the perception of those believing it exists or those not believing it exists.

Being meaning God. If you agree that good and evil are in the eye of the beholder than why is it so hard to believe that there is a set standered that exists for good and evil and One who governs what that standerd is?

All of creation has a form of what good and evil is defined by and if we are created by intelligent design than it is safe and a smart guess that the one that created us has his own idea of what good and evil are.

It’s not hard to believe; It appears your understanding of governing could be different to mine. Your understanding of a creator is different to mine. No harm, no foul.

Ok, let’s see if I understand you correctly?

The standards of good and evil that you are referring to mean, we as man, with free will, can choose/see whatever, providing, it is within those set standards that have already been defined. Move outside those set standards then there are consequences?

Similar to man made laws, except there is only one ‘being’ who can be Judge, Jury and Executioner?

So when Hitler masterminds the killings of the millions that he did this is allowed because it is still within the set standards?  When good honest caring and loving people are murdered this is the consequence of their goodness?

If...thats what you are meaning...maybe I am not getting what you are saying because there is definitely something wrong with this picture in my view. If in fact it is governed by a being?

Now if you are saying that there exist laws that are in force to support existence to exist in the way that it does. I would agree. What we do with these laws is man’s choosing. What we choose to label the results of mans choices is what I am pointing to.

I would say that it is free will that dictates life in every aspect of it and it comes from one who understands it to the fullest extent. To impose upon that free will would be contrary to who he is thus would not be himself. I think that our actions do not dictate what comes back at us. If I were murded it would have no baring on the life I lived unless I put myself into the situation where it were enevitable, such as....
                1: Taking a bullet for someone.
                2: Cheating someone on a drug deal
                3: Showing agressive behavior to a police officers who judge you to be a threat to themselves or the public.
                The lives we live are truley our own. i have the abliity to do and say whatever it is I please at any point but the same free will that others have that are "higher" than me who make laws and who posess authority make it to where I can be imprisoned for such actions if THEY deem it to be evil. We all have our own idea's of what these terms mean but I believe the only definitions of these terms that matter come from a God that created us all and has put these terms of good and evil to best govern our own lives not that he governs us like puppets. I hope this was clearer if not let me know, I quite enjoy speaking with you. Your level of respect for someone else's opinion is inspiring. I have the tendensy to be agressive with my posts when I see people being attacked or belittled by others who deem themselves supiorer.....spelling.

Yes it is a lot clearer for me now. Makes much more sense! Thanks

13. profile image50

The Creator God has absolute attributes and there is none like him. Man may become an image of Him by culturing and training all and every instinct in man to its normal level; normal level is the best level of an instinct. Every instinct is manifested on the proper occasions and nothing is done inappropriately; thus exhibiting best morals to a balanced human life.

This way from an animal in man; man gets progressed and is in reality transformed into a moral human being; which is becoming in image of the Creator God.

extreme, uncurable pyschosis. Manic tendencies, socio-pathic proclivities, classic and not so classic schizophrenic symptoms, Nuerosis on an unprecedented scale. Rampant bi-polarity. Need I continue. Hope God is in therapy. Sure hope he doesn't "crack"! smile

14. OpinionDuck profile image60

The question is still what is the image of God that makes us in his image.

We resemble a more proportioned cleaner in some cases and a little more intelligence than Apes and Monkeys, so is that what God looks like?

We could say the monkees and Apes were made in our image and be just as meaningful.

Carry on.

1. profile image50

The Creator-God has no physical or spiritual image; we know of Him from His attributes; so His image is in His attributes.

There must be something that we can see, otherwise we wouldn't have shape or form or anything visual.

1. profile image50

We cannot see Him with our physical eyes as He is not physical; with the eyes of the heart, yes, we can.

2. pennyofheaven profile image80

The trouble is, whilst we have eyes to see, we do not see. Mainly because our preconceived ideas of what God is meant to look like does not fit with what we see. We are not just physical beings of form and matter. However this is what dominates our senses. So we rarely if ever see past our physical existence and fail miserably at seeing God.

1. Cagsil profile image69
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

15. profile image50

The Creator God has absolute attributes and there is none like him. Man may become an image of Him by culturing and training all and every instinct in man to its normal level; normal level is the best level of an instinct. Every instinct is manifested on the proper occasions and nothing is done inappropriately; thus exhibiting best morals to a balanced human life.

This way from an animal in man; man gets progressed and is in reality transformed into a moral human being; which is becoming in image of the Creator God.

not according to your bible, he was created in that image, he didn't have to acquire it by any means.

You haven't told us what that image looks like.

2. profile image49
      crusader112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Parr,

Were did you get that from Parr, not from Quran so not word of God.

You do not quote the Quran, so Allah did not make man so tell up who did????

16. OpinionDuck profile image60

The question is still.

What is the image of God that man was created to be like.

1. saintstanislaus profile image59
      saintstanislausposted 13 years agoin reply to this

but man is both imago dei (image of God) and fallen.

The real question is: What image do you see when you look in a mirror?

Nice

No applause please...just throw money! :0winksmile

Do you except lint or buttons? Im out of money! sad

I actually work cheap, just ask adsense! LOL. When Jesus asked "Whose image do you see on this coin?" What would his answer have been if they had answered him "God's"? I think it would have been the same, but would have had a different meaning. This is actually a statement on how man views man, or even better, how man views "self". We do not see ourselves as being created in the image, because we really have a difficult time understanding that. It really has all been explained, and we will begin to understand. Peace (If I can understand it, most people can.)

Interesting view, I know that I came to have a better understanding of the character of God once I had children. To love your child reguardless of his actions yet understanding that tolerance for behavor only stretches as far as my hand from their butt....so to speak.
                  They are in my image because I am a part of them, their traites to have the same personality as mine only shows that. I think in the same way this is how we were created in the image of God, not in any physical sense but in the fact that we were created to rule and reign in the garden as he does over creation. Any deeper into this conversation or explaination on my view point of this would require coffee, cards and pound cake. or pizza and beer.....either or.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)