Do you believe in magic? If so, why, and if not, why not?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (38 posts)
  1. home witch profile image69
    home witchposted 13 years ago

I'm starting this forum because I had asked this question in the questions section and it got taken off because there was so much discussion going on. I'm sorry - I didn't realise it would raise so much debate. But because it did, I was wondering what people thought of this topic in depth. Please, do let me know.

I've been a practising Wiccan for about 18 years on and off. More off when I was young because I grew up in Sri Lanka and it was just not possible to do this kind of thing there. But now that I live in the UK, it is much easier to learn and grow as a practising witch. So I do believe in magic. I'm just really interested in understanding why other people do or don't.

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see magic...is that the same thing as believing?

2. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes I believe it's real.  Yes, it's a subject of much debate, and always will be.

Why I don't practice it---

Witchcraft is bad.  Satan cannot fight Satan.

There's no such thing as a "white witch".  People use that definition to manipulate and twist reality into something they want to see happen.  It's, at best, silly, whether it's the so-called "harmless" stuff like "Bewitched" or, in-between, "Charmed" and "Harry Potter", or, at worst, the deeper dark stuff that people delve into.

Please look for the better path.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61
        Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Brenda, You are absolutely right. I don't need anything which belongs to Satan.

1. luvpassion profile image63
          luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Define that please...belongs to Satan. The belief in magic?

Hi luvpassion, I believe magic is real. Magic is witchcraft. The power which is used when a person performs magic does not come from God. No one has the natural ability to move objects around tables and so forth.

1. profile image0

_________
              Oh my goodness, moving things around on tables. You've watched Bewitched haven't you?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Bewitched"?  What a crock!  Now, "I dream of Jeanie" was real magic!  Geesh, everyone knows that!

P.S.-the lizard avatar made you look smarter!

1. profile image0

The Gecko avatar..I wasn't feeling myself, but..
                  I ate a snickers bar.

You misspelled bikers!

2. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Yes I have watched Bewitched. Sorry, I don't think you clearly understood my posts. The power of witchcraft comes from Satan which is bad. You have the right to respectfully disagree. I have kindly answered the two questions of this thread topic. Love and blessings to you!

I thought you said god created everything! Make up your mind!

2. profile image0

_________
                  Yes, I admit, it's ME that's too dumb to know what someone is saying. But since you are God's child, you'll forgive me, won't you?

Deborah, God has forgiven me. I will forgive also.

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
        Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the Right Hand Path is much more peaceful.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I really think with something like this it might be wise to define magic. I imagine most people think of Harry Potter style magic when they think of magic. For that sort of magic, no I don't believe. Tried a spell to make me stop smoking, didn't do a darned thing to stop my addition to the baccy. If the harry potter style magic is not what you are referring to you probably need to clearly define what magic is to you smile

1. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm thinking that too. I somehow don't thing she is referring to the magic I am referring to...

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think my thoughts on "magic" is along the lines with kirstenblogs's and pennyofheaven's:    Actually, I decided to turn my response into a quick little Hub instead of posting here.  The question was just kind of a pleasant thing to think about on this "freezing cold" and blustery (very magic-less) Monday morning.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, what a cool idea! I think I shall have to go read your hub now! big_smile

3. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I believe in magic! Just when you find out that it's about smoke and mirrors, then it ruins the believability!

Once tried to make my dog disappear and it didn't work! bah humbug to magic now!

4. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

Yes, when the "Christian" accidentally manifests something, they call it a healing or a miracle, and say God did it.
    But if anyone else does, it is evil and of the devil.

You know, "holier than thou"

1. profile image0

Don't whine, Deborah.  It's God who is Holier than thou, Holier than I, Holier than anyone.

You either want witchcraft or you want the power of God.

Make up your mind.

1. profile image0

You give too much power to your devil. ALL power is Elohyim's.

Judge yourself..not others.
        If you concern yourself with God, you may be able to draw close....

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the reality of most of the Christian miracles, perhaps.

You have described it in a good way.

5. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I agree with Deb...you will receive many answers to this question. Some will say if you don't believe it isn't real. Some will say yes they do, but it is the tool of the devil/evil/Skypuppet.

Others will say latent powers of the mind. The truth is people practice magic all the time without even knowing it. Have you ever made a birthday wish? Crossed your fingers or knocked on wood for luck?

If you practice, don't expect to get it right the first time. Keep a record of what you've tried in a book. Practice...practice remember when you learned to ride a bike.

My grandmother could do the most amazing things to help people and she didn't do it for money because she already had it.

Also remember the rule of three. smile

Blessed Be

6. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 13 years ago

Hi Teri.
    How are things in the "Land of Oz" where I used to roam?  Everyone still the same-o, same-o I imagine?

1. luvpassion profile image63
      luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brenda hope you are well. smile

1. profile image0

I am not exactly well, no.
        But I am exquisitely Blessed, praise God!

7. iantoPF profile image80
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

I find these discussions really interesting because of the many different views on this kind of subject.
    Some personal points to let you know where I'm coming from;
    First I am not a Christian, I'm a pretty down to earth kind of guy and the notion of worshipping a god who was tortured to death is way too freaky for me and so is the notion of "Devil"  or some god of evil. Second, every belief has a lie in it, I don't "Believe" in the religious sense. Third is that I have seen and experienced enough that I do not consider anything impossible.
    Magic is real, mostly we experience it as Luck or Coincidence. Real Magic allows that luck and coincidence to come into our lives by intent. Are there spells to move an object from one place to another? Yes, but what happens is that someone or something will come along and move it by normal means. Are there potions to make someone fall in love with you? Yes! but the use of those chemicals is considered date rape and has consequences. Can you throw fireballs? Why should you when all you have to do is pick up a can of hair spray, light it and you'll have a continous flame.
    Magic is all around us if you live your life a certain way then your life will be filled with Magic and the magic never ends.

8. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I believe that Majick is real.

Change your mind, change the world!

Magic is slight of hand trickery.

9. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

i wouldn't link magic with witchcraft or belonged to the wiccan religion

1. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not all Wiccans/Pagans practice Witchcraft, those that do practice Magick!

Magic is a stage show and is all tricks.

10. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Magic is just another word used to describe what can't be explained by standard answers.  Different people(s) define the origin of the magic, like Brenda says it's from God or the Devil, other people's religions credit it to spirits or ancestors or all sorts of things.

When believers in a give magical system (Christianity, Islam, nature spirits, witchcraft, sorcery, ancestor intervention, psychic power, etc.) want a certain outcome - say that a loved one to survive an illness or injury - they focus their hopes and desires on that outcome using the rituals of their belief system (prayer, seance, dance, totem/spell making, etc.).  If the loved one survives, the magic worked and has proven itself.  If the loved one dies, the magic did not work.  However, failure does not disprove, because reasons can always be given for why it failed: The ritual was done wrong, God had other plans, etc.

So, by this reasoning, magic is real in that it has been proven to be successful by those who believe positive outcomes are the result of magic rather than random chance--"God smiled on us" as opposed to "we got lucky."

As always, magic vs chance becomes a matter of personal choice, desire and faith. You have to die to find out for sure.

11. Reality Bytes profile image73
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

Magick, is defined as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will", including both "mundane" acts of will as well as ritual magic.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deities and spirits can make magic too.  So an act of God is him using magic.

12. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I believe in 'sufficiently advanced technology.' Does that count?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)