Best Sites to Write for Upfront Payment

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (47 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm currently in need of some spare cash and I know there are plenty of sites that offer up front one of payments for articles.

I'm willing to write on anything, however I was just wondering which sites are the best for things such as fast payment, not too picky (I've heard some sites will make you edit half a dozen times) and generally have a reasonable rate. I don't care what I have to write about.

Should I just try somewhere like associated content?

Any advice appreciated! smile

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's seed like? I always imagined that having thousands and thousands of writers at their disposal, if 200 people wanted to write an article that was up for grabs, only one person would get selected. That meant that the other 199 (including me) would sit without our articles being paid for. And we wouldn't even be able to use them elsewhere. So it would be a complete waste of time.

Of course I know nothing about them. Just always wondered.

So, do tell smile

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't done much with Seed, specifically for the reasons that you mention. But I do know quite a few writers who who have pretty good luck there. I believe the biggest problem I heard was very slow review times.

2. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

You might want to try BrightHub. Some channels are RevShare only and some are edited channels that give upfront payment + RevShare. They pay once per month right into PayPal, and the editing is fairly relaxed. Trust me -- I'm one of the Content Editors. smile

I edit in the Health channel, and we are a little stricter there. Most articles are fine as long as they get their facts straight so they don't kill someone. I actually once had a writer say in an article that if someone is having a bout of hypoglycemia, you should give them insulin. Hello! Can you say coma and/or death??? smile

I also like Constant Content, although they take something 33% of what your write and no RevShare. Then there's Writers Access and Seed.com. I've done some work for Seed but haven't written for WA yet although I was accepted.

There's also Break Studios, but upfront pay is pretty minimal and I hear they're always short on titles.

Hope this helps!

WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just remembered we had an email conversation on this ages back and dug it up. Thanks smile

2. yolanda yvette profile image59
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  It surely helps me.  I've been looking around for some writing jobs online, myself.  Did a little reearch and came up with Constant Content.  Seemed to be the best I could find at the time.

Thanks for giving out these other sites.

3. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 13 years ago

I vote for associated Content.  I use that site.  It sometimes takes a couple weeks for an article to be okay, but if you write a lot of articles, you may not notice is nearly as much.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I worry about associated content now that it's part of the Yahoo network.. Who knows what's going to happen with them in the future..

1. profile image0

Personally, I think Associated Content sucks. What I found interesting was I wrote to them a little while ago asking if it was possible for me to repay them all that they had paid me and if I could remove my work from their site. I never received a reply. What I find incredibly interesting is that my numbers have gone up like anything.

4. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Thank you both for the info and a place to start! I'll look into those sites. smile

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Forget Associated Content, no payments of any type are available to Australian residents. Good for extra traffic, not payments.

5. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Hi honey - I wrote for Constant Content, Content Current, Demand Studios and a little for The Content Authority. I don't right now as I think my time is better spent here but I still get a nice surprise every now and then when an article sells on Constant Content and I get $20 or so credited to my paypal.

They all took on a Brit so I am pretty sure an Oz should be OK.

I think Constant Content might be good for you as you can write what you like and leave it to sell - but then there is no guaranteed income.

You might like Demand Studios - I am not great with rules so I'm not doing it right now, but I learned a lot which helped me improve my hubs.

Unfortunately, DS only accepts writers from the US, UK and Canada.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Associated Content only pays US writers up front.

7. kazemaru2 profile image61
    kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

About.com pays over $1000 a month for site guides but it is hard to get into.However the work is easy.

8. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Good post Wry ,been enjoying reading the responses here.

Just wondering since yer in Oz ,ifyour check the best Employment site online in Aussie,you might find a lead in one of the 'Situations Vacant" too.
    ( Do you have TradeMe,in Oz like they do in NZ)

I also noticed writing gigs on Craigslist (under part-time) positions.

Good Luck smile

9. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Hey WryLilt, I'm sending you a message in a few minutes. wink

10. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
    Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years ago

Helium.com in the Writer's Market.

Hmmm I've heard a lot of bad things about helium.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey there, did you get my couple of return emails? Please let me know, thanks. smile

Yes I did thanks Bill. Another hubber contacted me to write some articles as well, so I'm working on that now and hoping to do yours over the weekend.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
            Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool, I just wanted to make sure you got my email about that wrong link. Take your time and thanks. smile

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In order to be allowed to write for the writer's market you need to earn writing stars which means you have to write quite a few articles. Also, you have to keep rating articles to get any earnings at all. I have earned $22 over a few years and I can't get to $25 so I can get them out. I sold one article on the writer's market but still haven't gotten the money out. That and the fact they own your writing makes them not worth it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you write for upfronts at Helium, you have to give away exclusive rights to your articles now - and you're not guaranteed a set upfront payment, you have to compete with other writers. 

So you could end up giving away your exclusive rights to an article for $2!

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I've sold a number of articles on Constant Content.

12. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I have some regular freelance clients but when times are tough I go to a number of different places for a quick buck.  Content farms mostly.

Textbroker - I definitely earn the most from them.  They don't offer too much in terms of payment (1.4 cents per word) but they pay regularly and reliably and there's lots of articles available every day.  If you get popular you can get a regular client base and earn 3-4 times that.

Break Studios - Dude articles. Mostly how-to. Not a big fan but they pay well.

Associated Content - Ehhhhhhhhh. They will pay you up front, for original content, but it is usually not much (I've averaged 2.25 per article I submit) but it usually only takes about five days to get accepted (or declined) and they also pay almost immediately. It isn't a bad place to put stuff you aren't too proud of at.  Also offers (very low) passive earnings.

BrightHub - They are pretty decent. 10 dollars per article, plus incentives. They only pay monthly, though, and you better be good at working with your editor.  They do provide higher content work and I'm not ashamed to have my real name printed over my work there.

As a BrightHub CE, I'm totally afraid to ask what you mean by "you better be good at working with your editor." smile Good God, please don't tell me you write in the Health channel!!!

I was accepted for one channel on bright hub (PC Games) and have applied for another. Hopefully next week I'll get a chance to start over there.

I'm lrohner over there too. Just PM me if you need any help. It can be very, very confusing when you first start out. If PC Games is an edited channel, you're going to be capped on the number of articles you can write until you hit a certain average pageviews per article. As an editor, all I can really tell you is to follow the rules on keyword placement, make sure you add a minimum of two references and follow the title's concept -- if there is one. You'll be golden. smile

Oh, pay is usually by the 4th or 5th of the following month, although I've seen it held up until the 7th or 8th once or twice.

Thanks for the tips!

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Len,

Us Australians have not been able to get any type of payment from Associated Content since Oct 2009. Was their decision and wondered why for a while and came to realize that with Yahoo purchasing them may have had something to do with it.

Hasn't changed since, so only US residents can receive any type of payment from the site.

3. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just checked out Textbroker's TOS and they accept authors from the USA right now, but said they are working on becoming international.

4. prairieprincess profile image92
      prairieprincessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The BrightHubs looks really promising! I love that they have different levels of writing. How hard is it to be accepted as a contributing writer to a channel? Do you have to show them a portfolio of stuff? And do you know how long it would take?

thanks!

I got into a channel after about 24 hours with only a copy and paste of a hub I wrote on the topic. smile

Haven't written anything for them yet though.

Getting approved by BrightHub is a two-step process IF you're applying for an edited channel--meaning your work is edited and you receive up-front payment plus Rev Share. Someone at corporate does a quick review of your resume and writing sample. If it passes muster, your application gets passed along to the Managing Editor (usually a freelancer as well) for that channel and they make the ultimate decision.

Again, only speaking for edited channels, the process could be very quick or it could take weeks depending on the Managing Editor's schedule and number of writers they need for a particular channel. You may fly through the process, but if the ME has a sufficient number of writers in that channel, they may hold off notifying you until they have an opening.

The biggest drawback to BrightHub that I've found is that once you start with an edited channel, you are capped at writing five articles per month until you get to a point where you average something like 80 pageviews per article per month. Then you can write an amount only limited by the number of available titles each month. If you fall below that cap at any time, your unlimited privileges can be revoked, and you're back to five per month.

1. profile image0

So do you know which channels one can apply for? As a writer, I'm also always looking for work. smile

Essentially, I can write on anything, but some topics take me longer than other topics. Although I used to be very interested in health in the past, it depresses me now so I don't like writing on it.

Take a look at this page: http://www2.brighthub.com/writers/hotopportunities.html

Personally, I would say just apply and get accepted. Once you're in and have written a couple of articles, it's really easy to apply for other channels. Many of the writers there write in several different channels on a variety of topics.

5. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, you get about $5 for a 400-word article?

What's your definition of "well"?

You mean $2.25 per article?

Those figures are really an insult to writers, I'm amazed people are willing to write for that kind of money!

13. raisingme profile image77
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Great question and great answers - thank you all!

14. travelespresso profile image69
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Interesting forum post WL. 

I just checked About per the OP's suggestion.  The site looks great and very professional.  I didn't get as far as checking to see of they pay writers "downudner".  They have a list of topics the require and none work for me.  Some might be good for you though Wry - based on what I've seen under this name!

15. lovetherain profile image79
    lovetherainposted 13 years ago

demand studios i heare is good, but I don't write for them

1. yolanda yvette profile image59
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will check them out too.  Thanks.

I write extensively for Demand Studios and consider them the best for online content writing with up-front payment. They only accept writers from the US, UK and Canada right now.

16. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Last time I checked, Break Studios offered something like $7.50 per article. That's why I never wrote for them. smile

Seed and Writers Access have better upfront payment if you write the right titles at the right level. Constant Content also has the ability for better pay--but it loses out when CC takes their cut. BrightHub is only $10, but you get lifetime RevShare to offset it.

The best bet for anyone still is to find private clients.

17. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

@Lrohner - Is it necessary to upload a sample article or can we directly apply?

You apply directly, but you will need a writing sample.

18. Smart Rookie profile image60
    Smart Rookieposted 13 years ago

I agree with lrohner, BrightHub is good for the upfront payment, plus you get residuals from pageviews, which is good as an additional stream of income beyond ad clicks and affiliate sales.

I'll probably write more there at some point, but I'm really enjoying the freedom of self-publishing here at Hubpages, doing my own SEO, and editing my own hubs as I see fit. The editors at Bright Hub are generally pretty friendly and professional, but I would rather give up the upfront payment and choose my own topics here and be my own editor. Hubpages is the best thing going, IMO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)