Jesus = YHWH delivers? ..then god = YHWH not jesus?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (49 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

I was searching for meaning of jesus and according to some internet sources jesus=YHWH delivers...so god =YHWH then why is jesus too called god?...

1. pennyofheaven profile image78
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So are you saying they are one and the same?

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no i am asking since i am bit confused in this...i mean YHWH is not so common name for god...isn't it?...but jesus is known to have been son of god and jesus means YHWH delivers...so YHWH becomes god?...and if so how can jesus be god?

1. pennyofheaven profile image78

Did he not say I and my father are one somewhere in the bible? If my memory is correct then that will make sense wouldn't it. Jesus is God, God is Jesus.

well YHWH is not from bible..right?..YHWH is from jews and they dont call jesus god...YHWH seems to be original name for abhrahmic religion...what say?

1. prairieprincess profile image93
              prairieprincessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible consists of the old and new Testament. The Old Testament is Jewish Scripture. Jesus was Jewish, and his people were Jewish.

He claimed to be the fulfillment of the Jewish Scriptures, the Messiah that is talked about all throughout their holy text.

I believe that he is the Messiah talked about in Jewish Scriptures.

i got that..thank you for input...but messiah = god or not?...my basic question is that YHWH and god and jesus are one and same thing?

2. prairieprincess profile image93

Jesus claimed to be God, and that is why he was crucified, and vilified. It was considered blasphemy.

2. pennyofheaven profile image78

Yes agree its no where in the bible I have read. Yet translated in the way you put it, it confirms what is said in the bible. Just interpreted differently.

Some think Jesus is not God but I think its because they do not look at Jesus being in and of God not separate. Rather it is perceived as Jesus is God full stop.

I don't know if the Jews believe Jesus is God in the way described above?  We might have to wait for the Jewish followers to come and explain to us?

3. profile image0
              Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

2. profile image50
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The expression "I and my father are one" means Jesus is in full service of the Creator-God; Jesus does not disobey God-Allah-YHWH.

1. profile image0

1. profile image50

Thanks for your appreciation.

You get all that  from I and my father are one? How so?

1. profile image0

John 3:35
                The Father loves the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

John 5:17
                But Jesus answered them, My Father works hitherto, and I work.

John 5:18
                Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

John 5:19
                Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

John 5:20
                For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel

John 5:21
                For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will

John 5:26
                For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself

John 5:30
                I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me

John 5:36
                But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me

If Yahshua was God, his statement here would be a lie.
                John 5:37
                And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape.

John 6:57
                As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

1. Cagsil profile image70
                  Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if you edited, explaining Jesus' metaphoric usage. hmm I guess that would be too much to ask. hmm

1. profile image0

Yes agree the scriptures show them as one, and because I see God as not being a physical being I agree too that they not the same person in a sense.   

I was wondering where do any of those passages point to obeying and serving?

Except.... if obeying and serving is perceived from this

"I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me"

This for me points to Jesus knowledge of the conscious minds limitations...The aspect of mind that recognizes the opposites in our existence. Allowing (not sure thats the correct word) the will of the father that is unlimited would then make sense.

Perhaps it is perceived from other passages I don't know?

3. profile image50

Good quotes.

Thank you

1. profile image0

2. profile image50

Jesus is no god or son of god; when Jesus himself said very clearly and unequivocally that he is Son of Man; then why don't you accept Jesus' words.

Are you in doubt about him?

1. profile image51
            smattomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paar, perhaps you should read the previous posts, in particular John 5:18 as to why the Jews apparently wanted to kill Jesus.

If memory serves, you are of the Islamic faith, which would explain your standpoint on Jesus.

As to accepting Jesus' words, even they are sometimes contradictory and 'clever', although there is clearly much of beauty also.

As to doubt, I would call that having an open mind. Can you claim to have this?

2. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Father and the Son are one,

Therefore all that IS the Father Is also the Son.

Nevertheless, The Son knows His Father.

A misunderstanding of the son will lead to a misunderstanding of the Father.

And a misunderstanding of the Father leads to a misunderstanding of the Son.

When one get caught up Names or human titles, the would almost always be led astray, for their meaning is always imperfect and you must subject you thinking unto the way of another human teacher (Usually imperfect).

These cannot clearly show the nature and relationship of father and son.

This is why Jesus instruction never was to go read,research and such like, But simply go Live Life(Love your neighbor as yourself) cause Life will teach you Itself.

3. Cagsil profile image70

Why?

Jesus is called god because he claimed to be a god.

The OT book should be completely thrown away, upon the arrival of Jesus' teachings. Jesus' teaching is about finding one's own ability to be a god in life, especially their own life.

It wasn't about paying homage to some creator or other god like idols. This is where religion engulfed Jesus' followers after his execution. Religion sealed the fate of all Jesus' followers into religion by incorporating a skewed view of his work. One that was pushed upon people as a fact, when truth be told- Jesus' work had nothing to do with religion.

In fact- Jesus despised Religion of the rulers, claiming they did not follower their god's teachings. The fact remains, they were following their god's teachings, literally, which is why so many were enslaved over the centuries.

Those before Jesus were in fact following a false idol. To prove that- Jesus taught his followers to search for god within themselves. This was to mean that they control their thoughts and their actions, and when they do that, they should be honest with themselves and everyone else around them, in order to completely love or have a lust for love of life.

There is no god.

1. profile image0

______
        Prove it

Nothing you have said is scriptural

1. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Deb, do you read history like you read your good book?

What would you like pointed out in scripture? You seem to be lost, I guess I can see why. hmm

You've probably never considered that not only does history tell a story, like the good book does, it is only when taken in it's entirety, can you see that there is no god and absolutely no reason for one to exist.

There is nothing in my statement that cannot be found in either history or religion. And, it might even be considered- a look at if you will, the time in which Jesus actually lived, to gain a better perspective? hmm

1. profile image0

The scripture IS Jewish history.

In Israel  even the Judges are required to know the Torah.

1. Joy56 profile image68
              Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

knowledge, puffs up. love builds up

i am not very well educated does it show?????
              roll  roll  rolleyes:

1. profile image0

_______
                I was responding to someone else. You might want to read what I was responding to.
                I can only speak for myself, not you.
                Do you have a problem with me saying I am very educated?

2. profile image51

@Deborah:

Perhaps you should prove there is a god and you're welcome to use any method you like.

Scripture is contradictory, old, subject to interpretation and amendment/rewriting, subjective (certain books were discovered, some discarded, some yet to be discovered etc etc) and capable of producing evidence for just about any view point, but try by all means if this works for you.

When will theists get that the onus is on THEM to prove god's existence since there is absolutely no evidence for it. Remember, and keep repeating:

"That which can be asserted without evidence can also be DISMISSED without evidence."

4. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Humans ... are Creation ... Humans Address God ... with different "Names" ...

YHWH ... [Yahwey] is how, the Jews turn to The Creator ... Muslims address Him by His Name ... Allah ... Christians call Him God.

Jesus, the son of Mary ... is the Christ. Meaning, the Promised Messiah, the Savior ... of Humankind ... a Sign of God, among the Humankind.

In Islamic Belief ... Jesus, is a Prophet of God, who hath been Elevated, in Divine Ordination, that he shall Return, to rid humankind of Anti-Christ, and to kill the Swine ... before, the Ends of Time ...

1. profile image0

Some American Jews and Non-Jews say they think at one time the Hebrew alphabet had a Waw.
        There's no proof of this.
        The Hebrew language has not changed and it is Vav not Waw.

They dropped two letters that were rarely used, but one of them wasn't waw.

2. prairieprincess profile image93
    prairieprincessposted 13 years ago

Jesus is both God and man, and he has several names.

The name, Emmanuel, means "God with us," and signifies that he came to earth to be human.

He is often called LORD Jesus Christ.

The LORD means that he is God, and that we should worship Him. The Jesus part means that he was human, lived among and understands all of the struggles and problems of being human.
    The Christ means that he is the Messiah, the promised one,or the Chosen One of the Father.

http://www.egrc.net/articles/director/a … _0702.html

He claimed to be God. We can either reject his claim, or accept it.

1. profile image0

1. prairieprincess profile image93

Deborah, I will do this, but can't right now, because I have to go. Later on, though, I will show Scriptures that show him saying he is God.

3. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

YHVVH is the unspeakable name of God.
    Many have translated it incorrectly as Jehovah and Yahweh, but it is YHVH.

Yahshua (Jesus to Christians)  came in God's name which is Yah (shortened name) . The name shows God's name Yah in Yah shua. Yahshua's accrual birth name is Immanuel.

God's name is also revealed in Revelation 19:4
    And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down and worshipped God that sat on the throne, saying, Amen; Alleluia (AlleluYah in Hebrew). Meaning praise to your name Yah)

But Yahshua is not God. Yahshua was human.

The Catholic idea of Trinity breaks God into three separate beings: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. But scripture says "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is ONE" (Deut. 6:4).
    In Jewish law, worship of a three-part god is considered idolatry -- one of the three cardinal sins that a Jew should rather give up his life than transgress.

Christians believe that God came down to earth in human form, because Yahshua (Jesus) said: "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).
    God never assumes physical form. He is Infinite, beyond space. He cannot be born, and cannot die. Saying that God assumes human form makes God small, diminishing both His unity and His divinity. As the Torah says: "God is not a man" (Numbers 23:19).

"God is near to all who call unto Him" (Psalms 145:18). Further, the Ten Commandments state: "You shall have no other gods BEFORE ME,"

4. profile image57
    exorterposted 13 years ago

Mary was overshadowed by the Holy Ghost and became with child.
    that makes the Holy Ghost the Father.
    the Word says unto us a child is given, unto us a Son is born, and his name shall be called the Everlasting Father, the Mighty God.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years ago

These scriptures show what Yahshua meant by two being one.

John 17:22 KJV
      And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Mark 10:8
      And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh

Because we know we aren't suddenly one body with our husband/wife when we get married, this scripture has never really confused anyone.

Genesis
      24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

1. profile image51

Check...

So, when it suits, you apply common sense then?

"We KNOW we aren't suddenly one body with our husband/wife" even though your scripture does rather repeat "one flesh" as an idea.

Funny how you take literally - and seemingly claim rights to perfect interpretation - of really cryptic stuff like "I and the Father are one" but have to reinterpret "one flesh" because it plainly doesn't make sense.

This is all babble. Interesting babble I guess, and there's a lot to learn in this babbleology, but however you slice it and dice it, it's babble. Can't you guys just keep it simple, take a nice bit of humanism, and get on with leading as good a life as you can possibly lead? Humanism, even Buddhism, predated all this monotheistic stuff.

Best of luck.

So those passage's point to both the inner and outer oneness yes?

2. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

a lot depends on whether you believe the trinity.....  YHWH, with the vowels from adony meaning lord, and other vowels giving us yahweh, or some pronounce Jehovah.... I understand Jehovah and Jesus to be one in the same mind.... However even when Jesus was dying he cried out to his heavenly father, so they could not be one....

Interesting point thanks for sharing this

3. Joy56 profile image68
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

I have read every word on this thread, why would i have a problem with you saying you are very well educated......

1. profile image0

She seems to hate me because of it.

1. Joy56 profile image68

Sorry i did not mean to attack you.  I think i was probably being sarcastic quoting that scripture.  It's not the kind of thing i would go around saying to be honest, as we are all educated just to different levels, and about different things.  Where religion is concerned, there are so many theories that we could be very educated in the wrong belief, and what good is that???

1. profile image0

_________
            Thank you, and no problem.

I went back to the Hebrew/scripture roots, where the belief in one almighty God started.
            I felt there was no better place to go, to understand the meaning.
            I have learned so much. I like to share what I know, not to show off, but to give..
            "You shall know the truth and it will set you free".

1. Joy56 profile image68

you have just quoted one of my fave scriptures actually......  it is nice to be free

4. profile image50
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Jesus is no god or son of god; when Jesus himself said very clearly and unequivocally that he is Son of Man; then why don't the Christians accept Jesus' words and leave what their priest or Church says.

1. libby101a profile image60
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok then why don't you accept that Muhammad was a war monger and Jew hater?

Why try to bash other's beliefs? Hmmm.. Maybe because it makes you feel better about your own religion? Why not concentrate on Muhammad!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)