TSA Regulations - No One Will Be Spared

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)
  1. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Meera Shankar, the Indian (India = the South Asian Country) Ambassador to the USA subjected to a pat down check.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl … 070125.cms

I have been following the debate on TSA regulations in a cursory way - though I am not a US resident. I understand the concern of US authorities - but can they draw a line somewhere?

1. profile image58
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. However here in the US we have been hung up on  political correctness. Basically every tenth person gets searched. It's done this way so no one can say we are profiling. I say WHO CARES! Children are being patted down. Nuns are being patted down. It's rediculous. I'm all for security but I would like a little common sense as well.

2. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

'but can they draw a line somewhere?'

Simple answer, nope!

The people need to draw that line and are not doing so. I guess because they are still being kept scared of the Muslim boogyman, sad really sad

Freedom is ever vigilant, and so many have become complacent.

3. profile image0
    Dalyinxposted 13 years ago

This is ridiculous.  I hate the TSA.

From an inconvenience - benefit analysis, you can find that all of this extra security is pretty meaningless. 

I'd take the .000008% chance of being blown/killed in an airplane over a 5% chance of being harassed by the TSA.  (this is assuming a successful attack rate of 1/year without the TSA, which is HIGHLY unlikely, and 30,000 commercial flights/day, although it's probably higher now)

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet you are happy taking a chance ever time you cross the road too! Honestly, I am too. Life is full of chances and risks, no compromise on freedom is worth the supposed safety offered. I am happy enough for reasonable checks to be made to insure basic safety but there are limits to what is reasonable and those limits have been pissed on roll

1. profile image0
        Dalyinxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree entirely @ reasonable checks.  I'd like to not get hit by a car or blown up, but I'm not going to stay inside my house all the time in order to avoid it.  This insanity needs to stop.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet you are also the sort to look both ways before crossing the street, instead of closing your eyes and hoping for the best! Seriously, some safety precautions are good, that guy getting on the plane with wires sticking out should be checked, the guy who sets the metal detectors off too, but everyone? Hmmm, land of the free my a** roll

2. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YOU may be willing to take the risk as opposed to the inconvenience, but the 3000 people that die as a result of that risk would probably rather see you inconvenienced slightly.  As would your fellow 200 passengers.

I would also question your "highly unlikely" rate of 1 incident per year without the TSA; why would terrorists give up a proven successful killing tool unless they had to?  We might see 10 or 100 incidents per year if we made no effort to stop it - any guess here is meaningless.

1. profile image0
        Dalyinxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because the TSA has only existed since 9/11.  Before then, airlines had their own security.  There were not 10-100 attacks a year during that time.

Also, I think you're misinterpreting the point that I'm trying to get across.  It's that excessive security measures offer such a small benefit that they're not worth it.  To go back to Kristen's crossing the street analogy: I'm sure plenty of people don't want to get hit by a car, but does that stop them from stepping outside of their house?  No.  I don't -want- to get blown up, but I'm not (and many clearly aren't) willing to inconvenience myself to such a degree in order to avoid it.

Traditionally, car/truck bombings are more successful than airplane attacks.  Should we have an agency dedicated to exhaustive inspection of cars and trucks?

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"excessive security measures" - a few seconds delay in a scanner is not excessive.  And certainly a few seconds of YOUR time to potentially save MY life is worth it to me! smile

"small benefit" - if your life is the one saved, it is not so small.  You cannot possibly predict how many attempts will be made if we relax security, just that a prediction of increased attempts would be a good bet.  And that if just ONE is successful many people will die.

car/truck bombings require large amounts of explosive and other materials and this is already watched for.  No need to check individual cars, although some particularly suspicious are checked for a variety of reasons.

4. profile image58
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

The problem is this: The United States is the only nation that doesn't profile. This is because everybody in the U.S. has the same right to equal treatment. So if there are 3,000 people in an airport and only one of these travelers is considered suspicious, then everybody will be screened the same. The Israelis have the best security screening model. But it is based on profiling (although they don't admit it). It's because of this "rights" issue that the TSA has sunk millions of dollars into equipment and training, and has inconvenienced and embarrassed tens of millions of travelers. if the TSA were to use the Israeli screening model, there would probably be numerous lawsuits under the guise of profiling and violation of rights.

1. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trust me, the US already profiles, we just don't admit it. My husband gets stopped about every second or third time we fly for the crime of Flying While Muslim. That's a little more than "random" if you ask me.

1. profile image58
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If your correct, the search every tenth person policy is pure harrasment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)