Are most people good or bad?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (32 posts)
  1. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I think I'm 50/50 on this one. I'm told I'm a bit cynical, so I thought I would ask our esteemed forum members their personal views.

Are most people good, bad, neither?

So this thread does not devolve into a religious debate, please stick to this simple format:
    Good - %
    Bad - %
    Neither - %

Mine:
    Good - 50%
    Bad - 50%

And please don't ask what's "good" and what's "bad." Whatever each means to you.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most people are neither good nor bad, even if you assume those concepts are true. Most people will be good or bad to you depending on your attitude towards them. In other words, expect people to be good and act accordingly, and even those that are normally bad to others will be good to you. smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mostly bad.
      Which is why we all need a set of rules to go by.  God gave 'em to us.

Sorry, I didn't feel like going by your % (percentage) rules.  My bad.

3. OpinionDuck profile image61
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your restiction makes this question meaningless to answer.

bye

2. Wayne K. WIlkins profile image65
    Wayne K. WIlkinsposted 13 years ago

I would say that most people are bad. Most people that I meet are generally bad, but that is not exactly a bad thing. It allows the good people to stand out. I'd say about 75% bad, 25% good.

Wayne

1. rotl profile image61
      rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow... I thought I was cynical!  smile

I agree, the bad ones make you appreciate the good ones even more.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Most people are basically good, just don't argue with them about their political stand, LOL.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I think most people are good and try to do the right thing. Probably 80% or more.

5. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I think that we all have the potential to be either good or bad, and can be either depending on circumstances, mood etc, but I would say that around 85% of people are good more often than bad.

6. j.amie profile image60
    j.amieposted 13 years ago

Good - 60%
    Bad - 40%

wink

7. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...i figure....99.99% of people assume they are good; .01% know they are downright evil.....

8. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Interesting... so far it seems more of us think people are mostly good. Maybe I'm wrong!  smile

9. lovetherain profile image80
    lovetherainposted 13 years ago

I think MOST people are more on the good side than bad, although we all have some bad in us, to some degree

10. b. Malin profile image66
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

I'd like to think that the good out number the bad...but it's probably not realistic.  It's a different society and world today, and one has to be careful.

1. Glenn Raymond profile image61
      Glenn Raymondposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We all have both good and bad within us.  We just have to hope most people use their goodness and not their bad.  I think to help those traits develop, parents and peers need to constantly teach about integrity, values, morals, honor, and the common sense to apply such things.  This is a great question.  Thank you for asking.

11. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

89% good
    10.9% bad
    0.1% beast

12. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 13 years ago

good

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sue! smile Long time no see! lol

@OP 90% good 9% bad - 1% extremely bad

1. saleheensblog profile image60
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we think alike smile

2. timorous profile image81
        timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds about right. smile

3. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey you guys accounted all... the question was 'most people'  not all people!!
        smile smile smile  Hi Cags, Shuvo, and Tim!!

13. ediggity profile image62
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Good, but unfortunately you spend %90 of your time on the %10 that are trouble makers.

14. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

good

15. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Most people are not just good they are great!! smile

tongue

1. sofs profile image76
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile smile wink that goes for you too!!

16. lex123 profile image79
    lex123posted 13 years ago

In my experience most people are good, some are excellent, and only a few percentage is really bad.

17. Bail Up ! profile image60
    Bail Up !posted 13 years ago

I believe most people are good. Its just that the bad deeds of people make the news more frequent and quicker than the good ones. It warps our outlook.

18. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Some of my friends say that I'm naive because I believe in the overwhelming innate goodness of mankind. I do believe that most people are good, and if you look hard enough, you can usually find that goodness. Of course, you have to look a little harder with some folks! lol

19. vicki simms profile image67
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

A year ago I would have said......
    70% Good
    25% Bad
    5% Evil
    BUT now my opinion has changed to.......
    50% Good
    45% Bad
    5% Evil

But to be quite honest, I haven't got a clue big_smile

20. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Hmm... seems like people are at one end or the other... but more of us think most people are good. Not a lot of 50/50's like me.

It's good to see that a lot of people have faith in mankind, but 90% good? I wanna live where you live!

we live in this blue world. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)