How to create a meal with 5 ingredients?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image54
    Sleepless in UKposted 13 years ago

I consider myself as a good cook. Cooking for my loved ones for over 30 years now. Still, lately I find myself running of ideas.
    Can you create a meal with only 5 ingredience? Is so, can you share your meal ideas?

Many thanks.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Relax. You are suffering a simple crisis of confidence through possible boredom. You are worrying about it being difficult, thus making it difficult!! smile

Step one: clear your mind of preconceptions, Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver and whomever... smile

Step two: think of five basic ingredients that you and your family love. Don't think about how you can combine them at this stage - just come up with the ingredients. Try - if possible - to make them in some way reasonably compatible. Semolina, link sausages, red cabbage, golden syrup and gooseberries may be original - but you will seriously limit your options. smile

Step three has many possible forms. (Note that seasonings do not count as ingredients - salt/pepper/herbs/spices.)

1) Think of how these ingredients are best cooked. How can they be combined in this way?

2) Google two, three or more of these ingredients with the word, "Recipe," included. You may be surprised by the results!

This is a starter for 10. I hope it helps. Remember - rules in cooking only apply with regard to safety, ie never serve under-cooked chicken or pork, etc. Provided what you serve to eat is safe to eat, if you and your family enjoy it, never let anyone tell you you are wrong or that your recipe is inferior.

I hope that you refind your creativity and enjoy!

2. onegoodwoman profile image69
      onegoodwomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure.......do you have the five ingredients in mind, or shall I supply them?

hamburger / ground beef
      lettuce
      tomato
      onion
      Doritos chips

cook beef and drain
      add chopped tomatoes
      sauteeed onion
      and crushed chips
      sprinkled over a bed of lettuce

if you have cheese, or peppers add to mixture..........the more the merrier

1. onegoodwoman profile image69
        onegoodwomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see some creative cooks on board!

2. reversecharles profile image57
    reversecharlesposted 13 years ago

1. steak
    2. potato
    3. butter
    4. sour cream
    5. salt

LOL!

3. richtwf profile image60
    richtwfposted 13 years ago

Simple Egg fried rice:

1) Whisked eggs

2) Boiled rice

3) Salt

4) Dark Soy Sauce

5) Oil

Basically prepare boiled rice, then preheat suitable non-stick frying pan or preferably a heavy wok, then add oil and swish it gently around the whole pan/wok until it starts to smoke a little. Next add whisked egg and stir around quickly. Egg will take no more than 10-15 seconds to cook then add boiled rice, season with salt and dark soy sauce and stir continuously for three to five minutes.

P.S. For a more elaborate fried rice, you can add pre-cooked and small chopped pieces of vegetable and meat.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah !

4. profile image0
    Rhysjcposted 13 years ago

My favourite is parmesan risotto. It's just butter, white wine, water, arborio rice and parmesan. I think that's it. Or there's chocolate cake in a mug if you're feeling lazy.

5. sim0n30 profile image60
    sim0n30posted 13 years ago

pasta, steak mince, fresh puréed tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil

6. Brupie profile image66
    Brupieposted 13 years ago

On cold Minnesota mornings I like to make congee (rice porridge).  I use: short grain sticky rice, chicken stock (or a fraction of a chicken bullion cube), julienned carrots, chopped green onions and of course, water.

7. profile image50
    thisissaraposted 13 years ago

ramen noodle packet
    egg
    vegetables such as: carrots, squash, zucchini
    a smidgen of olive oil
    sautee veggies in oil, add flavor packet, add noodles and water to cover, when noodles are done add egg and you can either scramble it in the boiling water or you can "poach"it in the boiling water so the yolk is still runny. thats what i do! its delicious and filling!

8. profile image52
    datadollposted 13 years ago

How about:

Roast Chicken
    Sweet corn
    Green Beans
    Sliced cucumbers
    Sliced tomatoes

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)