Ah, the pride of homeownership. Right.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

Yep.
    Shoveled the drive three times today. Yippee. tongue

We only got 7 inches or so, but the drifting made it seem worse. Still, I have to admit: I dont miss the apartment. I guess having to shovel snow is a decent trade off for being able to do my laundry at home, instead of packing up all the clothes I can carry down three flights of steps and wasting an afternoon at the laundromat.

http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Nature/snow.gif

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When we bought our current home it was right on 30 years old.  Within 1 1/2 years we had replaced every appliance: refrigerator, range, hot water tank, water softener, dishwasher, garbage disposal.  Nothing obviously broken when we bought, just old and worn out.

We knew the risks and factored it into the price, but ALL of them?

Not that I would "prod" you about home ownership...big_smile

And I don't do snow.  Not with 150' of sidewalk and 150X30' drive, I don't.  That's what 4 wheel drive is for!

On the other hand we visited norther Idaho for Thanksgiving; it snowed at least 6" each day.  But they all have snowblowers up there so it isn't too bad.

wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This house was built in the early 40s. Its quite a bit smaller than my old apartment - which makes the shoveling a little easier to take. I only have about 30 feet of sidewalk wink

The folks who sold it had already updated many of the things you had to deal with. What a bummer! One house I looked at had no appliances at all. I was ready to move in with a mini-fridge and a hot plate! lol. My situation didnt leave me with too many options...

But, its turning out to be an awesome little place.

smile

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's great owning your own place, actually.  Most of the time I don't even mind doing the maintenance; My sons and I put on a new roof 2 years ago and had a good time working together to do it.  Plus, it's MINE!  The repairs and work are for ME!  It makes a difference.

2. b. Malin profile image67
    b. Malinposted 13 years ago

Wyanjen, enjoy your home, that's what it's all about...next time it snows, see if 5 kids and some adults show up with different prices just to shovel your snow for you. 

Right now we're vacationing in Freezing Florida...no snow...but it's cold!  And no washing machine! Have to go down to the end of the "cat walk" where there is a room with ONE WASHER AND ONE DRYER...and that's how we spent today!  Washing and Freezing!!

1. Bill Manning profile image66
      Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's going to get super cold here in Florida tonight, around 28 degrees. yikes

This is when I get to really rub my friends noses in the fact I work at home and don't have to leave the house for days! big_smile

I had several homes years ago, wish I had the cash to buy one of the great deals they have down here now. hmm

3. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Shoveling snow?  That's what kids are for!  I haven't had to shovel in years.  smile

But in an area where 2-3 feet can fall in a night, we are well equipped to handle it.  Multiple shovels, snow blower and tractor.  Of course, being so equipped, we get to help the neighbors out.

I can't imagine living in an apartment, waiting to the plows to come take care of things. It is often 3 in the afternoon before all the apartments in town are taken care of.

4. joleenruffin profile image60
    joleenruffinposted 13 years ago

I live in California so I have never had the pleasure (wink) of shoveling snow. Though my kids are out front, as I type on my iPad, raking leaves. I love owning a home but yeh, you can't call the landlord any more!

wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's very true... but then again, I don't have the landlord lurking around anymore either lol

At my old place they would just go ahead and let themselves in any old time.
      The building manager once said to me: "Hey, did you ever get that closet cleaned up?"
      I said "HUH?!?" I had no idea she'd even been in my apartment.

@lvorwen: homeowners in the neighborhood helped out us poor apartment people quite a lot. I liked the neighbors over there. 2-3 feet of snow?? where are you?

5. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I was just whining about the joys of homeownership when I had to call the A/C guy yesterday due to an outpour of water from the handler - apparently a clogged drain!  There's always something, and sometimes it's easier to say that it's easier and cheaper to just rent, but in the end (when the darn mortgage is paid off!) it's all worth it - at least that's what I'm told!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)