Are we engrossed in too much politics in the U.S.?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (23 posts)
  1. ViralWhisper profile image60
    ViralWhisperposted 13 years ago

Politics in itself is good. It was basically created to give meaningful directions to an otherwise chaotic and multi-dimensional problems of our society. The politicians are the ones that make it look trashy and confusing to a majority of the people. Too much scandals/corruptions and too much personal agendas in both Federal and State government elected officials! As a people, can't we say enough already to all these madness? Is it about time that we elect our public officials based on their moral and ethical values rather than solely rely on their political affiliations and educational backgrounds?

1. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that we need to vote for politicians that put the country and the people in it first.

That means above the party, and above the special interests groups.

Congress has never been a team, each election they beg for control, and nothing happens until the next election and like after the 2006 election nothing got done till the 2008 election.

The Congress and the Presidential Candidates put their election as their main goal and during those 2 years the country imploded.

Nothing has happened since 2008, except begging to stay in office for the 2010 election.

I suspect that the next two years will be a repeat of the two years after the 2006 election.

ViralWhisperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We definitely need politicians that put this country and the people in it first but those kinds of politicians are very rare breed. Politicians who have those aforementioned qualities + moral and ethical values = perfect politicians to lead this country back to normalcy again and should be able to weather any kind of storms ahead for the American people.

1. OpinionDuck profile image60
          OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, we could train the politicians by not re-electing them when they don't do a good job/

/sure we will most likely replace them with a clone, but if we don't let them nest, they will eventually learn.

Thanks

2. shape_shifter profile image59
          shape_shifterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And where, exactly, is this magic tree that these types of politicians grow on? I'd like to pick me some... In my experience on this planet, to date, I've seen no such politicians. At least not since JFK...The entire system is crooked to the core and in need of some serious weeding. They WILL be replaced by a clone, primarily because the system self perpetuates this problem. What we need is to knock down all the walls, both real and metaphorical, so that no shady deals can possibly take place. ALL EYES FRONT... Too much talk of politics? I say not nearly enough... The problem is that most people no longer care, or never did. Politics, at its core, is nothing more than the control of wealth and power... We are being conditioned to denounce it as petty or boring, thus granting them the veil they need to do what they will with the people's money. One greedy scumbag after the next, bankrupting our country from the inside out, while spouting all the same rhetorical BS to get elected. What do we ever REALLY know about anyone? Their track record alone... Voters, in the first place, should have to take a competency exam proving they understand not only a great deal about each candidate, but also the policies and issues at hand... for a start, otherwise, what gives them the right to influence anything? Voting simply because you have a right to is part of the problem, and an exercise in futility, not civic duty. It is our civic duty to wake up and smell the coffee... Good question, though...

I agree with you that politics nowadays is becoming nothing more than a control of wealth and power to most politicians. Americans really need to unite and wake up. People in other countries use people power to show their ultimate disgust to their leaders and it's so sad that Americans don't have that kind of guts.

1. shape_shifter profile image59

AMEN! We have courage ibn every other way, so why not stand againt the politically correct nonsense that perpetuates this moral dilution! Fight the power... ALL power to the people!

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
                Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Right on; which kind of tree do such moral and well meaning politicians grow on? I would love to know...As for the political correct nonsens, I also agree with you 100%

2. couturepopcafe profile image59
              couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The tea party tried to stand up and was shot down as loud, rude, crazy, unpatriotic, etc.

2. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be great if we could elect leaders according to their moral and ethical values. Unfortunately, we have a large segment of the American population that have neither so they vote for people who have neither.

Now, before you "screamers" start screaming, I'm well aware this segment comes from both parties as well as liberal and conservative.

2. michael's son profile image61
    michael's sonposted 13 years ago

Wow politics, a subject that has bored many for a long time. the truth is is that politics is boring but it is a necessary part of life. People need to be more involved in politics and pay more attention to the issues at hand. America voted Obama in simply because he was a black man and it had never been done before, no one actually took the time to research him and find out that he is not fit to lead a country. In fact none of our presidents have been fit to lead this country since JFK. The funny thing is is that the office of the president of the United States in and of itself has become a place for scapegoats. The president doesn't actually have any power in politics. The only power the president has is the power of influence and we all have that power. I say This whole world needs to wake up and realize that its not the corrupt government officials that have the power, it is the average Jo's that have the power. every single person on this planet has the power to change the world, and that power is influence. We cant sit back and let the corrupt leaders of this world take us any farther down this path of destruction. Its time for this whole world to realize that we all have the ability to do what is right, whether we are condemned for it or not. Do not be afraid of standing up for what is right. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"-FDR By fearing that our own lives can be compromised we fail to make the lives of those around us better. We need to stop being afraid of politics and rush headlong into them and find out that being a good politician doesn't require a college education, it requires a moral compass. and that my friends is what this world has lost- its moral compass.

It is a frightening thought that most of our would-be politicians and most of our elected officials are mainly motivated by power, money and greed. What a shame! These politicians and public officials forgot the fact that they are public servants.

3. Nick Malizia profile image59
    Nick Maliziaposted 13 years ago

This is a very thoughtful and relevant subject that needs to be continually discussed.

With the question " Where is the tree of... where are these virtuous politicians that one speaks of?" I think, like most issues in life we have to slow it down and think about the process step by step. Hypothetically, the closest thing we have to a perfect politician or voice of the people are the sages of old and in some traditions a figure who is going to return like King Arthur.

But I like the quote, "Pray to God... but row for shore." We can't imagine a populist savior coming out of the ether IMMEDIATELY as well as perfectly.

But we can cultivate (not "teach"- they will NOT be taught by the little and 'bitter' people) a continuously more refined politician through the system they adhere to and perpetuate- greed.

The market for a better politician in some ways is like the competition in Capitalism to produce a better product or service for a lower price. In idea, it is exactly the same.

Many people either fear or underestimate the Third Party or Tea Party emergence, but I think this was a progressive development to keep Dualistic government in check.

I think the gov itself (both parties) understand the importance of making small gradual concessions to the people who elected them and so the Tea Party/Independent emergence was very useful. It will work as a crucible to shape these better politicians we seek... but only over time.

1. shape_shifter profile image59

AMEN! but alas, those who would undoubtedly make the best leaders wouldn't want the job... and those who are the most eager and ambitious for it, have ulterior motives driving them. If we can just eliminate corruption in government, for a start, we may have a chance at real change!! That, and the complete elimination of the electoral college, also for a start. Until this happens, things are set to self perpetuate, Rep. or Dem., till the end of time, regardless of how many votes any other party gets... ALL POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!

1. Petra Vlah profile image60
        Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The electorat vote is another big problem of the system. Real every day people never elected them; they are electing themselves, and they are being selected from ex judges and ex governors .
        They are all politicians with their own afiliations. We do not have real control about the way they vote - so we just have to trust them and hope that they do cast a vote according to the popular vote of their states. Can we trust them and put our voice in their hands?
        I do not trust ANY politician as to represent ANYTHING else except their own interests

You said it very well.

2. couturepopcafe profile image59

Finally, someone who agrees that the e.c. is outmoded.  I say one rep. and one senator from each state.  That's it.  50 people per house.  No e.c. for president.  Term limits for Congress and Justices.

I agree with you 100%. We need the real people's choice for the president. Limiting the numbers of politicians in both the Senate and the Congress would save a lot of money for the taxpayers and the government itself. And of course, we always need a balance of power in all branches of the government and no to any dictatorships and domination of any political parties.

4. Me, Steve Walters profile image80
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

Are we engrossed in too much politics in the U.S.? Yes. But...we kind'a have to be. It is like we are adrift with no one...(on any side)...at the helm!

5. EPman profile image60
    EPmanposted 13 years ago

We need someone who limits the size/power of government to the confines of the Constitution.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

In reply to OP..Yes lol

Im a New Zealander and we grizzle n groan from time to time,about what our Prime Minister has done (or not done) but the majority of people relise what goes on behind closed doors is nothing like what appears in the media anyway ,so pretty much dont have as much to say ( or as aggressively) as many Americans ( just my observation) smile

7. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I think that many of the issues in politics need not to have anything to do with the government. And could be handled through companies and businesses.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59

Elaborate please...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)