political Lie of the Year: Readers' poll results

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (102 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

Lie of the Year: Readers' poll results

By Angie Drobnic Holan
    Published on Thursday, December 16th, 2010 at 11:29 p.m.

We asked PolitiFact readers to pick what they thought was the most significant lie of the year in 2010, and 3,289 people voted. The decisive winner was the same one PolitiFact editors and reporters selected for the Lie of the Year: the claim that the new health care law is a "government takeover."

Here are the readers' poll results:

1. ObamaCare is a "government takeover" of health care. -- Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio; Rep. C.W. Bill Young, R-Fla.; the Republican Party of Florida; Lt. Gov.-elect Rebecca Kleefisch, R-Wis.; and others: 43.9 percent

2. "The president of the United States will be taking a trip over to India that is expected to cost the taxpayers $200 million a day." -- Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., 19.2 percent

3. "The stimulus has not created one private sector job." -- Gov.-elect Rick Scott, R-Fla., and others: 13.9 percent

4. "Ninety-four percent of small businesses will face higher taxes under the Democrats' plan." -- Rep. Randy Neugebauer, R-Texas, and others: 8.8 percent

5. The ethics report "exonerates me." -- Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y.,  6.7 percent

6. "Taliban Dan" Webster thinks wives should submit to their husbands. -- Rep. Alan Grayson, D-Fla., 2.6 percent

7. "Phoenix is the No. 2 kidnapping capital of the world." -- Rep. John McCain, R-Ariz., and others: 1.8 percent

8. Other: 1.6 percent

9. Republicans want to dismantle or privatize Social Security. -- Florida Democratic Party and others: 1.5 percent

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/art … l-results/

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are those votes based on just opinion or are they based on the voters view of the facts? 
      Not judging the validity of the the ranking, just wondering what the background of the voters was.  I can skew any statistic or poll any way I would like to, so I'm pretty sure others can as well.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

#9 Is true of many, if not most Republicans.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

#2 was also said by Jon Stewart.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Shows you the power of a calculated Psy-op.

Now we enter the punishment phase, otherwise known as Right-Wing Lunatics in charge.

It will be brutal for poor people. Brutal. And many more will become poor.

But rich deserve all their money Blah Blah Blah Blah BLAH.

1. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Merry Christmas, LMC!  Hope your indigestion is better in the New Year!
      Just curious, if you don't mind, are you poor or rich?

1. Neil Sperling profile image60
        Neil Sperlingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rich or Poor? -  Are states of mind and nothing more!

2. WalterDamage profile image60
      WalterDamageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are certain things in this universe that are constant, sunrise, sunset, death, taxes, and of course  lovemychris' constant wealth envy babblings....

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. EPman profile image60
      EPmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Slanted babbling coming from someone who hates Limbaugh?

You will fail to see the irony, I'm sure...

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chris may slant to the left, but her position that the corporate backers of Fox News are systematically feeding misinformation and stoking fear and anger in their viewers is accurate and substantiated by both leaked internal memos and the facts that she enumerated above.

1. EPman profile image60

Because fear mongering can only come from those whose views you do not support, right?

Welcome to politics, champ. The Right and Left exist to contradict each other -- fear-induced commentating will ensue.

If you think it only comes from those evil Fox hax0rzzz then please awaken from your delusion.

------------

BTW that's an awesome looking cat.

1. profile image0

I agree that fear mongering comes from both sides, but Chris was specifically talking about Fox "News."  It is especially insidious when an organization claims to be reporting the news, in a "fair and balanced" manner no less, while simultaneously plotting ways to lie to their viewers.

I actually watch Fox News, EP.  I'm well aware that fear mongering comes from both sides, but I'm also well aware of which side has a well-oiled corporate fake news organization supporting it.

Edited to add:  Yeah, that's my cat.  She IS awesome.

1. EPman profile image60

Any slant is going to come with lies/exaggerations/distortions -- left or right. Some people are just willing to look past it when this slant falls within their "comfort zone" of politics.

Fox business has been covering the Federal Reserve a lot more lately -- a HUGE step in the right direction, and an issue most have been reluctant to tackle.

Also, they gave Judge Napolitano a prime time slot Mon-Fri. He is a strong anti-war advocate, as well as a huge critic of the Patriot Act and other government, war-based intrusions on the privacy of citizens. Because of this, he clashes in a big way with right-wing establishment philosophies. It's nice to see him on Fox, just as it's nice to see Morning Joe on MSNBC.

Even attacking Fox is motivated by political slant. Again, "lefties" criticize Fox for being politically biased without even realizing that their disdain for this news organization is rooted in their own political bias!

And I'm not even a fan of Fox, honestly. But I'm not a fan of MSNBC either. Sure, I'll watch both because it does the human soul some good to hear both sides, but I've learned to take the news delivered to me by mainstream media with a grain of salt. F**k Bill O'Reilly and f**k Lawrence O'donnell.

And yeahhh I'm a proud owner of two felines myself haha! Cats FTW

1. profile image0

I understand what you're saying but I honestly believe you are engaging in false equivalencies.  The level of outright lying is astronomically higher on the right than it is on the left.  That is simply a fact.

Just a little anecdote for you.  Some people here already know I'm married to a conservative Republican; that's why I see more Fox News than I ever would on my own, which is probably good in some ways but that's a whole other conversation.

My husband and I were watching Obama's speech on race.  We watched it on CNN (neutral terroritory, sort of, lol).  Then my husband switched to Fox News so he "could get their take on it" (his words). Practically the first thing out of Sean Hannity's mouth was an outright lie, along the lines of "Barack Obama just said...[insert lie - I can no longer remember what it was]."  I said nothing, but my husband practically leapt out of his chair and yelled "that's not true!"  We had just watched the speech, so the lie was obvious, but if my husband hadn't seen the speech, he probably would have believed Hannity.  Now, he doesn't trust anything Hannity has to say, although he still watches others on Fox News.  So far, he has never reacted that way to anything he has heard or seen on MSNBC.  He disagrees with the analysis, but he has never jumped up and said, "that's not true!"

My disdain for that news organization is not motivated by my political bias. It is motivated by my intellectual need for truth.  Period. 

Before 9/11, I used to watch Fox News every morning before I went to work.  In fact, I was watching Fox News when the attacks occurred.  But something happened after 9/11.  I couldn't stand listening to their constant fear-mongering, their refusal to factually evaluate the runup to the war.  All networks were guilty of this, but Fox added cries of "traitor" to anyone who disagreed with the war or with Bush's ridiculous overreaction to anything related to terrorism. 

Anyway, I'm ranting, but regardless of my little anecdotes, every objective study that has been done has concluded that Fox News misinforms their viewers.  And memos leaked from their own news desks confirms that they intentionally distort and mislead. 

No, the right and left are not the same in this regard.  You can try to pretend they are, but they clearly are not.

Pretty, Sean Hannity is not a news person.

That is where you and others are very confused, Hannity is a commentator, he is not delivering news but rather his view on  the news.

Its not the same thing.

1. profile image0

I'm not stupid, Jim, I know he's not a journalist, but what legitimate news organization calls itself "fair and balanced" while allowing lies to be told unchallenged on the air?  This was post-speech analysis; actual journalists were present, or should I say, pretend journalists were present.

2. EPman profile image60

Yeah, personal stories don't do much justice --

I was watching MSNBC the other day. Ed's representation of Rand Paul's take on the civil rights was outrageous! He completely distorted the guy's views, making him seem like a racist jerk. Boy howdy did I jump out of my chair and say "That's not true!", but ole Ed just kept on spewing the slant.

But MSNBC isn't as bad, right?

Of course it isnt, because that wouldn't make sense now would it? After all, how can a media outlet that caters to YOUR point of view be as bad as FOX? No, only something opposite from what you believe could be distorting the truth. roll

What you need to understand is the same people who criticize Fox, but hold dearly to their hearts O'Donnell and HuffPost, have the SAME EXACT mentality as those who criticize Obama while clinging to Hannity and the Bible. Both think "I'm not bias, I just want the intellectual truth!" without realizing that they are playing their part in deteriorating the media by outright favoring one slant over the other as "the truth".

Hey, you totally seem like a smart person. I'm not trying to offend you. It's just that, well, the person who thinks that Fox is the greater evil in this world of political slant is only kidding themselves.

I hope one day slant in general angers you, not just the right-wing kind.

Best wishes to you and your kitty.

1. profile image0

What you don't seem to acknowledge is that while MSNBC employs commentators who are obviously slanted, as does CNN and Fox, neither CNN nor MSNBC has a stated mission to intentionally cater to one political ideology.

Most recently:

Leaked Fox News Memo Reveals News Division Told to Echo GOP Talking Points

You are making an awful lot of assumptions about me and you barely know me, EP.  Yes, I am biased, and I've never claimed not to be.  That doesn't change the fact that Fox News was created to serve as a media disinformation campaign for the right while claiming to be "fair and balanced" and intentionally misinforming its viewers.

To me, ideas are either good or bad, regardless of where they come from.  It just so happens that I generally favor ideas coming from the progressive side.  I've seen a lot of crap on MSNBC and CNN, too, but it pales in comparison to the idiocy of Fox News.  They are not equally bad, no matter how much you would like to pretend they are.

Heck, I can watch Fox News for trends in talking points and predict the next right-wing outrage to crop up on the forums.  Same language, same stupidity, all espoused by the same people.

Edited to add:  It takes a LOT to offend me.  I live with a Republican.  smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
            Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The typical response to the exposure of FoxNews lies continues to be, "Other people do it too".  No evidence is ever offered, just desperate baseless claims.

1. EPman profile image60

Google MSNBC lies, rook.

There's a mass out there that object to the left just as much as the left objects to the right.

Both hate the opposition because of their political bias, and both claim to hate the other because of their "intellectual need for the truth".

Nobody gets anywhere with this way of thinking, but I guess that explains a lot, huh?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Not sure who "rook" is; possibly a pathetic attempt at a personal attack on your part.  If you're gonna get banned again you may as well throw something out there that makes it worth it.

You've missed the entire point once again (hmmmm, imagine that).  The Fox defenders can't justify their insane loyalty, so they look for other perpetrators to create a "they all do it" scenario.

Google reading for comprehension.  It may help your responses in the future.

Rook?

Are you offended by that?

2. EPman profile image60

I was banned? Err...

I'm not a Fox loyalist -- I'm just stating the (apparently incomprehensible) obvious.

People who cling to a news outlet because they just want the "intellectual truth" don't realize that they put terms and conditions on that truth, accepting or rejecting the validity of it based on what type of slant they are comfortable with.

Lefty loyalists are unwilling to admit to slant when it's in favor of their bias, so they pull the "only they do it" card on Fox, unable to cope with an opposing opinion.

I'm indifferent enough to admit the truth: Fox distorts, but they ain't the only ones. I'm not clinging to that belief in order to defend Fox; rather, to show that they aren't the only ones not worth defending. You'd think this point would have been clear by now (derf derf) but, well.... hmm

1. profile image0

"Lefty loyalists are unwilling to admit to slant when it's in favor of their bias, so they pull the "only they do it" card on Fox, unable to cope with an opposing opinion."

Have you read anything I wrote?  I acknowledge that there is slant on both sides.  I'm just saying that Fox News has elevated it to a level that cannot be seen in any other network.

To say they are the same is just plain wrong.

4. 2uesday profile image67
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

My guess is you only find out the biggest political lie of the year, many years later.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this was on the front page of our local paper today.
    Politifact is a Pulitzer prize winning project of the Times.
    http://www.tampabay.com/specials/publication/Times_1A/20101217.jpg 
    I'm sure there will be some interesting letters to the editor.

demographics of who reads politifact.com
    http://www.quantcast.com/politifact.com

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, rebekahELLE.  The demographics was a huge question of mine.  I haven't followed the link yet, but I really appreciate having it available so that I can check it out soon.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought it might be helpful. it's read by a college educated, mostly higher income audience. it's rather entertaining at times to read their findings which you can find on politifact.com

6. lovemychris profile image77

"A group of researchers in the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the university of Maryland concluded in their findings that people who admit to watching FOX News for their daily dose of information are sadly and strongly misinformed. What’s more, the study shows that greater exposure to FOX News increases misinformation.

Don't believe us? Let's check with the numbers from the survey. This is a list of what FOX News viewers believe to be true:

* 91 percent believe the stimulus legislation lost jobs
    * 72 percent believe the health reform law will increase the deficit
    * 72 percent believe the economy is getting worse
    * 60 percent believe climate change is not occurring
    * 49 percent believe income taxes have gone up
    * 63 percent believe the stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts
    * 56 percent believe Obama initiated the GM/Chrysler bailout
    * 38 percent believe that most Republicans opposed TARP
    * 63 percent believe Obama was not born in the U.S. (or that it is unclear)"

Psy-Op.
    Get ready for the next one...Palin and others have already planted the seeds:

Uber Rich neeeeeeed tax cuts to be permanent, or they just caaaaaaan't create jobs! The uncertainty will be too much for their frail, weak constitutions.
    Poor poor billionaires...they've been soooooo maligned by those rotten "Liberals Progressives"--sneer

Just cause they haven't created any jobs here with the first 2 rounds of tax breaks....why shouldn't we believe them now? Specially with those 2 stalwarts of honesty and integrity Boner and McLipless--sneer

I was driving far the past couple of days, and had the chance to hear Stephanie Miller..
    laughed my a$$ off. She plays Prince's "When Doves Cry" song, and uses McConnell..."This is what it sounds like when turtles cry"--cue McConnells crying on the floor of the senate. Funny stuff.
    He was crying for Judd Gregg. I won't shed any tears for him. He was one who stopped Spain (?) from going after Bushco for illegal torture.
    He and Hillary, Obama and an Hispanic Republican from Florida (can't think of his name) talked them out of it.

Now we have Issa saying he will get Obama.......wow, there are no words for it.

Bushco? Let em slide!! Go on! Let em go!
    Obama?---nail him to the wall.

If it's not racism, what is it?

1. EPman profile image60

So what? That's like me saying most MSNBC viewers believe

--printing money helps the economy
      --government health care is better and saves money
      --taxes are for the greater good
      --Bush snuck his way into the presidency

And every other piece of popular left mantra.

What's your point? That many Fox viewers are biased? Well, no s**t.

1. profile image0

You can do better than this lame response, can't you?  Chris provided statistics from actual research.  You just made up a list of stuff out of thin air, a ridiculous list at that.

Her point is not that Fox News viewers are biased, it's that they are the most ill-informed.

1. EPman profile image60

And my point is that viewers of, say, MSNBC are biased too?

Sorry, I must have forgotten the percentage marks.

Most Fox viewers believe what chris said because they are biased, just as viewers of msnbc would be inclined to believe the opposite because of their bias.

Amazing.

You need to quit trying to explain the obvious.

Trust me, they do not care, they already know.

They just happen to like the lies MSNBC tells.

1. profile image0

Really?  If you can show me just one time where I have supported a lie that MSNBC tells, then I will send you a cookie.

You're a little too serious today.

MSNBC lies, you defend MSNBC.

You denigrate FOX and never MSNBC, please show me where you have defended FOX for the same manipulation that MSNBC uses.

1. profile image0

Show me where I defended MSNBC?

I'm no more serious than usual, Jim.  Am I forgetting to add enough smiley faces?  smile

I think I'll pass on the research of hubpages forums to find a post where you defend MSNBC.

Thats a lot of work for absolutely no gain.

I'll take a cookie though.

2. EPman profile image60

If they're comfortable with lies, they'll mistake it for truth.

It is a phenomenon.

2. profile image0

Amazing.  smile

You "forgot" percentages for a list you pulled out of....

There is a difference between citing statistics to support your position and making stuff up.  I know you know that.

1. EPman profile image60

One more time,

The statistics cited basically said "Hey! Most Fox viewers are conservatives!", which is fair, because it's no doubt true.

But it is also akin to me saying most MSNBC viewers are liberal, because they are.

Both are already obvious statements, numbers or not.

1. profile image0

Well, that is one interpretation.  Pardon me if I don't just take your word for it without some verification; you know, actual statistics.

1. EPman profile image60

You really need stats to perceive the liberal bias in MSNBC?

Pf, I guess I didn't know what I was getting into when I started this debate.

Jim Hunter, you were right -- the minds are already made up.

Best of luck to you, your husband, and your kitty. It's been real.

1. profile image0

Sigh....

I've already repeatedly stated that I perceive bias in MSNBC.  Do I need to copy and paste all of those statements for you?

Chris' list of statistics was about MISINFORMED viewers.  If you can provide some verification that MSNBC viewers are equally MISINFORMED, then I will send you a cookie, too.  smile

2. Doug Hughes profile image61
              Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PP - You are misunderstanding the libertarian narrative. It's an axiom (truth beyond proof) that any fault of the right is canceled by an equivalent fault of the right. This somehow validates libertarian thinking.

No it doesn't make any sense, but it's a conversational pattern that's conditioned, possibly by their blogs - I'm not sure of the source. The fact that you were making is that Fox and conservatives get the facts wrong  - deliberately and often. The defense is that MSNBC gets things wrong - occasionally. Neither of which validates libertarianism.

I frequently push libertarians for  examples of where their philosophy HAS worked in the real world. They don't exist anymore than examples of the success of communism. For the same reason - either extreme of pure capitalism or pure communism is doomed to failure.

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, that they believe lies, and it makes them vote for Repukes all over again!

Bullhockey.

7. lovemychris profile image77

From that same study:

"the statistics for CNN weren't that great either, though they were better than FOX. Of all the outlets, MSNBC rated the highest for accuracy in information."

1. profile image0

Imagine that!  smile

2. Jim Hunter profile image61

What study do you refer to?

1. lovemychris profile image77

"A group of researchers in the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the university of Maryland"

Do you have a link posted?

Yes, it's on the first page.

I don't see a link to this study, I see where you posted results of something but no link.

Would you please provide the link?

8. Jed Fisher profile image69
    Jed Fisherposted 13 years ago

There is supposed to be a legal, punishable difference betwen rhetoric and outright lies. Guess not. Our most credible news sources today include Jon Stewart for at least doing some sort of analysis, The National Enquirer, which exposed the John Edwards lies about his mistress and love-baby, and Rolling Stone Magazine for, among other things, telling us the War on Terror was a joke. And Jesse Ventura with his Conspiracy Theory show...

9. lovemychris profile image77

Don't forget Matt Taibi for his Wall Street reporting, and Jeremy Scahill for his war reports....
    There IS truth out there, but it gets washed away in the lies.

But, they have legal cover for it. Plausible deniability, not using real sources, never actually saying, "we have proof that"...

It's mostly emotional flame throwing and button-pushing.

When you start off your discussion with disdain for the people you speak of, it follows that you will never be unbiased and objective!

1. EPman profile image60

lulz.

I think your serving as your own critic.

When did I claim to be un biased? I'm pretty out-right with my disdain.
        Fox, however,says it is "fair and Balanced", when obviously it is not. That way, they can claim to be honest truth seekers instead of the Democrat hate fest that they represent.

And I wonder just what is up with Napolitano.
        He said Bushco should have been indicted.....but he stopped there. He didn't push for it.
        Let's see if he pushes for "Get Obama" with Issa and the Thugs.

10. lovemychris profile image77

Imagine that!  smile.....yeah, imagine! People who say they are all the same are wrong.

11. Neil Sperling profile image60
    Neil Sperlingposted 13 years ago

The extremists on both the left and the right are the whole problem. We fight without looking for common ground to build something of value.

Capitalism un-governed becomes communism via the few very rich "control" the tides of the economy. They capitalize on both left and right government issues and they make sure they do!

Without Capitalism, there would be no need for socialism. Socialism is NOT communism. Communism is when the state owns ALL and everyone gets an allowance from the state.... and "everyone works "For" the state.

Today we have the WAY too much wealth in the hands of too few.

Today we have WAY too many stupid rules and regulations that are there more for political job creation than any other use. Unions - although necessary - have way to much power too.

What I am saying is extremists on both sides of the fence are the problem. There is a middle road but those in power on both left and right do not want us to see the middle road at all. Why - cause often they are the same people/corporations.

Cheers to to the "working middle class".

As I said before - "On the backs of the working middle class the mega corporations climb, and on the backs of the working middle class the wasteful governments ride."

1. profile image0

Agree.

12. lovemychris profile image77

Ooops, thinking of another thread. Here it is: google

"Voters Say Election Full of Misleading and False Information
    December 9, 2010"

Poll Also Finds Voters Were Misinformed on Key Issues

Full report(PDF)
    Questionnaire with Findings, Methodology (PDF)

Never mind I found it on my own.

13. lovemychris profile image77

Or this;
    "News Corpse / By Mark Howard 
    Study Confirms That Fox News Makes You Stupid
    A new survey of American voters shows that Fox News viewers are significantly more misinformed than consumers of news from other sources.
    December 15, 20"

14. Jim Hunter profile image61
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

I thought this was interesting.

The Fox Factor
    http://www.cmpa.com/media_room_press_5.htm
    Perhaps surprisingly, coverage of the candidates on Fox News Channel's "Special Report with Brit Hume" was very similar to that of the broadcast networks. FOX's coverage of Hillary Clinton was evenly balanced – 50% positive and 50% negative comments, compared to 51% positive and 49% negative on the "big three" networks. The tone of FOX's coverage of Romney and Obama was also within one percentage point of the broadcast networks.

Instead, FOX stands out for having the heaviest and most issue-oriented election coverage. The first half-hour of "Special Report" has devoted 7 hours 52 minutes to election news since mid-December, an average of over 11 minutes per night, nearly half the newscast after commercial breaks. By contrast, the broadcast networks have averaged 5 hrs 8 min, or seven minutes a night.

FOX was also twice as substantive as the broadcast networks. Almost one-third of all stories on FOX (30%) dealt with policy issues, nearly double the proportion (16%) on the networks. FOX also carried less coverage of the horse race and candidate tactics than any of broadcast networks.

CMPA has monitored every presidential election since 1988 using the same methodology, in which trained coders tally all mentions of candidates and issues and all evaluations of candidates. We report the evaluations by non-partisan sources, excluding comments by the candidates and campaigns about each other, because research shows that non-partisan sources have the most influence on public opinion, and they are also more subject to the discretion of reporters. However, we maintain data files on partisan evaluations as well.

Bullhocky.

Thats almost as good as a LOL face in an effort to refute something.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60

So you like links do you?  Follow this one to learn more about your "unbiased source"

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti … ic_Affairs

No Ron, I love links.

15. lovemychris profile image77

Yeah, well I found this!

Shepard Smith....my man!!

"Shepard Smith Unloads On Blockers Of 9/11 Responders Bill: 'How Do They Sleep At Night?'

Shepard Smith excoriated the Senators who are holding up the so-called "Zadroga Bill" to assist 9/11 first responders who suffer from medical problems as a result of their time at Ground Zero. The bill, which provides $7 billion for the responders, passed the House but is being held up by Republicans in the Senate.

Speaking to Fox News colleague Chris Wallace on Friday, Smith asked, "How do they sleep at night after this vote on Ground Zero first responders from 9/11? Are they going to get that done, or are we going to leave these American heroes out there to twist in the wind?"

"Who's going to hold these people's feet to the fire? We're able to put a 52 story building so far down there at Ground Zero, we're able to pay for tax cuts for billionaires who don't need them and it's not going to stimulate the economy. But we can't give health care to Ground Zero first responders who ran right into the fire? Went down there to save people? Do people know what this city was like that day? People were walking over bridges, they were covered in ash, they were running for their lives, they were crying, their family members were dead. And these people ran to Ground Zero to save people's lives. And we're not going to even give them medicine for the illnesses they got down there? It's disgusting, it's a national disgrace, it's a shame and everybody who voted against should have to stand up and account for himself or herself."

Smith continued making the comparison to the tax cuts, adding, "We spend a lot more money giving Warren Buffett his income tax refunds than we do doing anything for those people don't we?"

WHOA! Huge mea-culpa. Smith just walked the walk!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Amusing that he did so only after Jon Stewart chastised FoxNews Thursday night for not reporting on the travesty perpetrated by their favorite senators.

Yes, and you know...I was just coming across all these stories about how the bill will pass, and it occurred to me, "This bill would not even have COME UP if the Repubs were in charge in the House." It would not even be an issue!

I can't tell you how sad I am for America that the money-party will once again be controlling the agenda.... What gets voted on, what does not.

just WATCH--there will be a whole lot of bills having to do with helping wealthy out, and shutting poor/middle down.
        It's inevitable. And sad.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
          BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kinda makes sense to have the people in charge of the money "controlling" things.

Do we really want major financial decisions being made by people who obviously cannot earn, keep, or control money?

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60

But wait, I thought Fox News was a right wing propaganda machine?  Doesn't Shep know who his masters are?

Damn that man....

16. lovemychris profile image77

"we're able to pay for tax cuts for billionaires who don't need them and it's not going to stimulate the economy."

Dam tooty.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60

Pay for tax cuts?  Um, it's THEIR money, love, not yours......

17. lovemychris profile image77

"the person who thinks that Fox is the greater evil in this world of political slant is only kidding themselves."

So you dismiss all these studies, eh?

Get over it, Fox is 100 times worse. And every single on of those distorters also has a radio show.
    It's 2...2...2 times the fun.

And I'll tell you something, when I watch MSNBC, I don't come away angry. So angry that I'd like to take a gun and kill people. As has happened with Beck and O'Reilly viewers.
    "Tiller the baby killer', and the Tides Foundation, later to kill Obama.

And they slip their lies in inocuously...like Miss Palin. I want you ALL to call them on it when no jobs are created with the repeat of this big tax break for Ubers.

Palin is so good at it, the sneak-lie. Rather than saying billionaire trust-fund babies, she says "job creators".

And NO ONE ever asks her, "So Governor, what jobs were created with the 10 years we've already HAD of the tax-cuts?"

In fact, no one ever asks ANYONE that question. But the answer is obvious.
    That is why I am so fed up with people. What is that old saying, "Fool  me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me."

Mike Pence is Tom Delay's prodigee. I wroter him once, "How can you call yourself pro-life, when Delay gave tax money to a man who's factory rules are to abort a pregnancy should a woman become pregnant?"
    *crickets* *crickets*....never heard back. Just like no one ever asks "What jobs have been created with the 10 years of Buscho tax cuts?" *crickets*
    YET--you believe them again. Incredible. And Fox/Talk radio played a HUGE part, whether you want to admit it or not.
    They were created and designed for it. IMO.

18. lovemychris profile image77

It happened, and the lies worked! Proof in the pudding....those 2 cry-babies now will run the house.
    Cause you know----they CARE about the deficit. Yeah, cause they said so with their words, but mah---whyn't they showin it with their deeds? Mah--we been snookered!!!

"If you can show me just one time where I have supported a lie that MSNBC tells, then I will send you a cookie."

If anyone can show me an MSNBC lie, I'll give you a whole cake!

These are not lies...these are people saying MSNBC's hosts OPINIONS are lies.
        It's like saying "Beck lies because he says "Obama is a racist." That is Beck's opinion about Obama, so you can't really call it a lie. Even though I think it is.
        All those links said nothing about a lie. An opinion is not a lie.
        Plus, when Maddow was wrong, she corrected herself.
        And those sites were hardly objective sites!!! U of Maryland is an objective study.

Sorry--epic FAIL.

roll

2. BillyDRitchie profile image60

But it's okay if people run sights saying that Fox News lies?  Ok, I guess opinion is okay as long as it is leftist opinion....

The mind boggles....

Did you notice that FOX commentators lie and MSNBC commentators are just wrong?

The mind not only boggles it completely shuts down.

19. lovemychris profile image77

This is what it sounds like when turtles and drunks cry: McLipless and Boner.

waaaaa   waaaaa waaaaa.......oh, sob     sob    sob      sniffle......WAAAAAAAA

Beckles School of Fake Crying. A-.....needs more hearfelt emotion...less buggersnots.
    ahahahaha. ohohohoh santa gave me a good laugh on that one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)