Why do men need four wives?

Jump to Last Post 1-40 of 40 discussions (194 posts)
  1. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 13 years ago

According to somewhere in the quran, allah permitted Moslem men to have up to four wives. Why? Isn't one nagging woman enough?

Seriously what are they all suposed to do? Is four wives a status symbol? Is it just mysoganistic? What does allah have to say about those other unfortunate three men for whom there are no women left to marry because their friend got greedy?

Is this why Moslem women cover up; because for every man who is sexually satisfied, three have to make do with a DIY, but after only so long they can't control their unrequited lusts anymore?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like most men I would fantasize on having a harem of women. But it make good to only have one, I can barely handle worshiping one woman anyways. The taxman punishes you if you’re married, I won’t marry anymore.

1. saleheensblog profile image61
        saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

2. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it's not Moslem it's Muslim. Second nowhere in the Quaran Allah permitted to have four wives. A Muslim can have up to four wives under certain and critical circumstances. But in general it's impossible to fulfill the demands of Islam even to have two wives. In many cases Islam don't even give a license to marry.

3. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It has something to do with the nomadic state. It's not so different from the seafarers' 'a woman in every port', which didn't mean find A woman every time you berth, but visit THE woman. It works, but doesn't necessarily translate into modernity.

4. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Islam is more about encapsulating the misogynist mindset and placing into practice those ideals of power and control over others. Muhammad simply made it a god given right to do so. smile

5. Sneha Sunny profile image85
      Sneha Sunnyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Disappearinghead....!!! This is true that it is in Quran that Muslim mens (not 'moslem' men) can have four wives. But these are not the only lines in Quran. According to Quran, Muslim mens can marry 3 more womens (besides his wife) who is needy or you can say poor  to give them support and not for their own greediness or satisfaction. Whether muslim mens marry 4 womens for this reason or not that i cant say but Quran doesnt gives permission to marry 4 womens unneccessarily. But people only knows to take the advantages from whatever rights they have got whether the person is muslim, hindu, christian or from any other religion. Nobody is innocent.

6. Son Of Hamza profile image35
      Son Of Hamzaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there are conditions to have up to 4 wives
      understand the full view first plz

7. Ahmad Usman profile image65
      Ahmad Usmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Before the advent of Islam, it had been the habit of men to marry an unlimited number of women. Hindus, Babylonians, Persians, Athenians, Jews and pre-Islamic Arabs recognized no limit to the number of wives a man could marry. Polygamy was not restricted and was not having any limits or conditions.

Being polygamous shouldn’t be a problem to Jews and Christians and they have no right to criticize Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) for being polygamous because the great Jewish patriarchs, called Prophets in the Bible and the Quran and revered by the followers of all three faiths (Judaism, Christianity & Islam) as exemplars of moral excellence, all practiced polygamy on a far greater scale.

The Old Testament states that:

David had 100 wives (2 Samuel 5:13)(2 Sam. 12:8),
      Jacob had 2 wives and 2 concubines (Genesis 35:23-26),
      Lamech had two wives (Gen. 4:19),
      Abraham had three wives,
      Moses had 2 wives (Num 12:1) and
      Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3).

We find that polygamy continued to be practiced even after the time of Moses, as by Gideon, Elkanah, Saul, Rehoboam and countless others.(Judge 8:30)(I Sam 1:2)(II Sam 12:8; 21:8).

---> POLYGAMY IN ISLAM:
      So Polygamy in Islam is a permission not an injunction.Islam neither invented polygamy nor did it abolish it but only prescribed a maximum limit and laid down certain conditions. polygamy was restricted with four wives only and with the condition of treating each wife equally and justly.The Quran states:

“If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two or three or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them, then only one” (Quran 4:3)

The conditions for polygamy according to this verse is that the person should have confidence on his part that he should be able to deal equitably with his wives in the matter of providing food, housing, clothing, and expenses, and that he should also be able to divide his time between them. If the person cannot exercise this equality he is not allowed to marry more than one.

The Holy Prophet, always gave strict equal treatment to all his wives and never discriminated between them. Urwah bin Zubayr was a nephew (sister’s son) of Ayesha. He inquired of his aunt as to how the Holy Prophet treated his wives. Ayesha said that he treated them with justice and complete equality.

He never gave preference to anyone of them over anyone else. Almost daily he called on every wife and inquired after her health etc. He passed the night with one wife, turn by turn. If by chance he wanted to pass a night with another wife, he formally came to the wife whose turn it was and took her permission. If the permission was given, he would go, otherwise he would not. Ayesha said that she personally declined to give permission as and when he asked for it.

Even during his last illness which led to his death and when he was too weak to move, the Holy Prophet scrupulously adhered to the principle of equality in his treatment with his wives. His bed was shifted from one room to another daily. At last, one day he called all his wives and asked them to permit him to stay in one room. With their permission he stayed in the room of Ayesha.

Holy Prophet (PBUH) Said: "He who has two wives but does not treat them equally and shows leaning towards one of them, will be raised on the Day of Resurrection in such a state that one side of his body will be dragging along the ground. He will eventually go to Hell”.

CONCLUSION:
      Islam has allowed polygamy – as mentioned before – as a solution for several problems and made it conditional on achieving "justice". The Islamic Sharia allowed marriage to handle several emergency cases and to solve several social problems in order to protect the whole society.

Some non-Muslim just people thought deeply in the matter and came up with the same positive points of polygamy.

ETIENNE DINET – in his book "Mohammad The Prophet of Allah – said: "The theory of monogamy adopted by the Christianity involved several disadvantages and resulted in three serious & dangerous consequences on society; prostitution, spinsters and the illegal sons. These social diseases and bad morals were not known in the countries which applied the Islamic Sharia completely, but these things – the above mentioned three consequences – entered and spread therein after contacting the Western Urban culture".

Here is also an English female writer – London Truth Newspapers – stated: My heart is torn out of sorrow for the women, who have no husbands, but my sorrow is useless even if all people did like me; there is no solution for this tragic problem except by allowing the man to marry more than one woman. By this, this blight will go away and our daughters will have marital homes. The most dangerous catastrophe is to oblige the European man to marry one woman only."

The world today possesses more weapons of mass destruction than ever before and the European churches might, sooner or later, be obliged to accept polygamy as the only way out. Father Hillman has thoughtfully recognized this fact:

“It is quite conceivable that these genocidal techniques (nuclear, biological, chemical..) could produce so drastic an imbalance among the sexes that plural marriage would become a necessary means of survival....Then contrary to previous custom and law, an overriding natural and moral inclination might arise in favour of polygamy. In such a situation, theologians and church leaders would quickly produce weighty reasons and biblical texts to justify a new conception of marriage.”

What happened in Germany in WWII, women in  Germany requested polygamy because of the death of the youth in the World War and their desire to protect themselves from approaching the adultery and to save their children from the illegality. After the WWII there were 7,300,000 more women than men in Germany alone (3.3 million of them were widows).Therefore, the International Youth Conference held in Munich in 1948, Germany has recommended the polygamy as a solution to the large number of women and less number of men.

In the western society, some men who have one wife have many extramarital affairs. Thus, a survey was published in "U.S.A.
      Today" (April 4, 1988 Section D) which asked 4,700 mistresses what they would like their status to be. They said that "they preferred being a second wife rather than the 'other woman' because they did not have the legal rights, nor did they have the financial equality of the legally married wives, and it appeared that they were being used by these men."

NOTE: 95% of all the Muslims in the world are monogamous.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

In other words, 5% of Muslim men are practicing misogynists. smile

1. Ahmad Usman profile image65

HEY Athiest friend, NICE joke.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
            Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rednecks and peckerwoods tend to say dumb things like that.

2. profile image52
        Jannineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Ahmad.  That was very informative.

8. Druid Dude profile image61

Why so few? And who's making these rules no one told me about?

9. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a permission not a commandment in any case.

10. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why would four women want to share their husband with other women?

11. pink flavour profile image61
      pink flavourposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's hard to believe that in our days they still care about traditions that old . And I also think it's not all about their believing in Allah , but it's about men treating women like objects and imposing themselves by respecting some old rules that help them have more women . I don't think all of those men could have the same number of women at the same time if they lived in Europe or other geographical area . I have doubts they couold have a single one . But , of course , if they can take advantage of the situation , why not...But I don't think this should make them proud because some of those women marry them just because of the tradition , but not because of their "great" qualities .

12. OpinionDuck profile image60
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do they need 69 virgins?

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Why do men need four wives?"

Why not? smile

The one reason is being an artist; the financial stress of just feeding me is enough, burning four candles at the same time, would burn me out.

Second reason, it’s just greedy.

My fantasy would be to be tied up by a tribe of Brazilian women, and force to repopulate their village. Not going to happen

Your are such a funny guy

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This idea is much better than mine.

In addition to the multiplicity of “wives”, it’s free room and board. smile

2. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why four ?
      As long as it's not simultaneous...

3. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Why does four woman feel the need to share 1 man?  There isn't a man alive worth four woman.

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm, tell that to Hugh Hefner. LOL

1. IntimatEvolution profile image67
        IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know...., I just don't get it.  Of course his ex-Kendra said she never had sex with him more than once a year or something like that.  That situation is all about the money.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'd like to have four husbands: two to work outside the home, one to do yard work and home repairs/maintenance, and one to stay home and play with me! They could take turns. lol

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Should be a breeze finding them Habee. Just cook for them!
      Only once of course, don't want to spoil em. smile

You may need a cattle prod during the training period though, some of em are stubborn as a bull calf ya know. smile

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, Ernesto! Unfortunately, hubby doesn't want to share. He's just so stingy!

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you explained to him yet that he has no say in it? smile

Very selfish and narrow minded of him not to see that he can't have you all to himself, it's not fair to the rest of we males. smile

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Randy has tried to explain this to him over and over, but it hasn't sunk in!

5. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

some of us men have 4 testicles

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

for four women, you'd need eight

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why?

They are just going to cut them off and wear them around their necks as jewelry

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
          schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

In the bible quotes, a woman is only worth half a man, but you can't have two women.

Why not married your equal, a man, oh wait, eeer, they have rules on that too.

why not just marry ones self if i already have 100% of what I need within an arm's reach, so to speak?

That’s mono sexual.

That is where one hand grows much larger than the other.

I prefer balance.

why not use two hands?

Works for some, one candle, one rose, one nice dinner and your away...

6. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I read a hub recently that discusses how polygamy leads to slavery, a very interesting piece!
    http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Polygamy-Leads-to-Slavery

Does 700 wives and 300 concubines which King SOLOMON had, led to slavery?

ANSWER: NO

Does 300 wives of King DAVID led to slavery?

ANSWER: NO

1. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Christian community has never tolerated polygamy, as it says in the bible
        “Let each man have his own wife and each woman have her own husband.” (1Corinthians 7:2).

The Jewish community largely ended polygamy under the  "Cherem D'Rabeinu Gershom" around 500 years ago.

As for slavery, it was quite common for over 1,800 years after the birth of Christ for both Christians and Jews to hold slaves.

Marriage was actually very like slavery until very recent times, whether in Muslim, Christian or Jewish religions, and whether or not the culture accepted Polygamy. In fact, Muslims as a general rule at least theoretically were required to behave better than Christians or Jews in regard to marriage.

7. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

What is the problem with four wives anyway - if a man and four women want to be married shouldn't it be their business and nothing to do with anyone else including the law ?  What is it about one man one woman that requires laws to enforce it ?

I only ever met a multiple wife family once, and briefly, but I have to say they all seemed to be a very happy little group of ladies and gentleman.  In fact what impressed me was the marriage seemed to be more about the women as a related group.

Whilst not 'advocating' multiple wives personally - what is the logical argument against it ?

8. libby101a profile image59
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

I think it would be hard, as a woman, to share a man if you loved him. Maybe others can do that... and they have! But I surely couldn't!

How many men would share their wife with four men? If you love her, it would be hard to do!

1. skipper112 profile image60
      skipper112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no way I will share my wife with any other man or woman and I do not want any other man's wife, nor do I want or need more than one wife. PERIOD!

I agree Libby

One to do my laundry, one to clean my house, one to make the garden grow, and one to scream aloud. Had one for thirty five years. She stopped doin' all that stuff years ago. Now I do all that.

9. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

Some men do not need a wife at all
    marrying is the normal process, however this question was directed from the quran

Genesis 2:24   Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his (one) WIFE: and they shall be ONE flesh.

The quran is false and against the bible. Mohammad is A spirit of antichrist. He passed that edict NOT under the inspiration of Yahwehs Holy Spirit, he passed it because it is against the bible ordinances. (much like many of the other ordinances passed by this son of satan [metaphorical satan])

While it is blatantly obvious believers in Christianity consider everyone else evil, anti-christ, satanic, blah, blah, blah... it is also blatantly obvious they feel they are being victimized when the tables are turned.

Are they justified in their hatred of others while playing the victim card? smile

2. Ahmad Usman profile image65

So friend if Quran is false just because it allows to have 4 wives then what you think of the great Jewish prophets who performed polygamy on far greater scale?

David had 100 wives (2 Samuel 5:13)(2 Sam. 12:8)

Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3).

btw!!!

It has to be added that polygamy in Islam is a matter of MUTUAL CONSENT. No one can force a woman to marry a married man. Besides, the wife has the right to stipulate that her husband must not marry any other woman as a second wife.

Once, a girl complained to the Prophet – peace be upon him – because her father obliged her to marry her cousin in spite of her will. That girl said to Aisha – may Allah be pleased with her: My father obliged me to marry my cousin in spite of my will. Aisha – may Allah be pleased with her – said: sit down until the Prophet – peace be upon him – comes. Then she told the Prophet – peace be upon him – who in turn invited her father and authorized her to choose what she wants, but she said: "O Prophet of Allah, I have accepted the action of my father, but I just wanted to teach women this matter"

The Bible, on the other hand, sometimes resorts to forcible polygamy. A childless widow must marry her husband’s brother, even if he is already married (see the “Plight of Widows” section), regardless of her consent (Genesis 38:8-10)

1. profile image57
        foreignpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question is: Why do men need four wives? Taking this at face value, we're talking of the present. Today. The year 2010. And in the year 2010, Islam allows multiple wives. A few offbeat, designer religions do as well but they're in California, basking around hot tubs, and never heard of. It is odd that a religion still clings to 3rd Century doctrine. Of course, debating events that happened thousands of years ago, and applying them to the present day, is half the fun. For example, King David killing Goliath was not only racist, it was homophobic. And reparations need to be paid to Goliath's ancestors. Still, there is no reason to have multiple wives in the 21st Century.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

If we were all living in Bronze Age, you might have an argument. smile

3. skipper112 profile image60

Ahmad USman,
        Why do you think I am worried about what a  Jewish  king did I am christian, NOT Jewish, Not Muslim , BUT Christian ok you show me were there are  Christians with more than one wife.

So my Islamic friend KEEP to Christian matters, not Jewish or Islamic if yoyu want to prove a point Prove it by Christian doctrin, NOT Jewish or Islamic ok.

Lets see if you can do that. Unlike you I do not care what Mohammed or Allah do, nor do I care what Jews do I am Christian and unlike Mohammed Allah or the Jewish God, Jesus loves me and Jesus loves you. Now you show me were Allah LOVES you, you cannot because Allah COMMANDS you, Allah never loved you, and never will.

If you want to discredit me as a Christian you can but do it from CHRISTIAN Gospels and or Christian teachings, because your Quran is not christian to a Christian it does not COUNT, neither does Jewish TEACHING'S.

So lets see how you go without using the Quran which does NOT COUNT.
        The Jewish 'Talmud' does not count.

Only the NT and Gospels of Jesus Christ to me the only liveing true God.

Now you have the rules lets see  how much of the Bible you realy know.

the Skipper a Christian who follows my Lord Jesus Christ.

may your God go with you

4. skipper112 profile image60

Ahmad , do not care what Jew's do or Muslims I am Christian so use something that is relevent to a Christian, so again compareing Jews or Muslims to a Christian, will not work. Again no prizes try again.

10. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
    jay_kumar_07posted 13 years ago

I think in ISLAM there is no compelsion to mary 4 women.
    All muslim men are not having four wifes.
    This is not for LUST in my point of view.

ISLAM laws are very difficult and Hard to mary more women.

In particuler area Womens are more than Men . What we can do.
    At least we can avoid prostitution by the way of marrying women and give wife and family authorition.

I remember in BIBLE -- enjoy and satisfy with your youngest wife......
    It means that old age wife also there....

pl Guide..

what makes you think Islam avoids prostitution???

1. jay_kumar_07 profile image61
        jay_kumar_07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Iam talking about the way. Not ISLAM.

What makes you think that being single or monogamous avoids prostitution?

Islam STRICKLY STRICKLY STRICKLY forbids Prostitution.

If a married man or woman commits adultery, he/she should be stoned to death.

If unmarried man or woman commits adultery, he/she should be whipped 100 times.

That is not justice, that is mob mentality murder.

Go and read those statements of your Athiest and non-Muslim scientists who were astonished that how an illiterate man 1400 years ago knew the scientific facts mentioned in the Quran BUT are discovered recently.

Quran is indeed the word of God.

Is there some reason you feel the need to fabricate lies about Muhammad and the Quran?

No, it is the word of Muhammad. smile

Prophet Muahmmad was an illiterate man. He didn't know how to read and write and It was impossible for a man like him to write such a wonderful book 1400 years ago.

http://www.scienceislam.com/scientists_quran.php

The first words revealed to prophet Muhammad were "Read" when angel Gabriel ordered him and prophet said twice, i can't Read.

Read! in the name of your Lord who has created.
                Created man from a clot.
                Read, and your Lord is the Generous One.
                The One who taught by the pen. 
                He taught man what he did not know.
                (Quran 96:1-5)

Even this prophesy about Prophet Muhammad is mentioned in the Bible also in (Isaiah 29:11-18)

"And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which [men] deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, [I pray thee]: and he saith, I cannot; for it [is] sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, [I pray thee]: and he saith, I am not learned............."

http://www.answering-christianity.com/isaiah_vision.htm

Muhammad never wrote the Quran. Instead, he dictated his own words and claimed it was his god speaking to him through an angel. Clearly, he fabricated the whole thing just like any other so-called prophet or messenger. There is little difference between these types and those who stand on street corners delivering their sermons.

Yes, I've seen a number of Islamic propaganda sites like this one. Shameful, to say the least. smile

You are speechless now and thats why you are beating about the bush.
                    If these vidz are propaganda then Go and Read the book "The Bible, The Qur'an and Science. by Dr. Maurice Bucaille

2. skipper112 profile image60

what did Mohammed know that is just being discovered now. Name them please?

I agree Mohammed could not write the Quran, it was only written by others after Mohammeds death so the contents could not be checked, and Mohammed could not verify the TRUTH of the Quran because he could nor read. Verry convient a book that can never be verified. Makes me think is the Quran true if so who verified it?

gee if you get stonned for a affair how can there be any muslims left?

E.G. ---> What happened in Germany in WWII, women in  Germany requested polygamy because of the death of the youth in the World War and their desire to protect themselves from approaching the adultery and to save their children from the illegality. After the WWII there were 7,300,000 more women than men in Germany alone (3.3 million of them were widows).Therefore, the International Youth Conference held in Munich in 1948, Germany has recommended the polygamy as a solution to the large number of women and less number of men.

Read my complete post!

Guess it never happened, nice try but no prize. Germans are not stupid people.

11. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

It's a macho power trip. Having numerous wives was, and still is, a sign of power and masculinity in some cultures. It's also a show of wealth similar owning a large herd of cattle. In the Middle East, owning numerous camels indicates prosperity according to tribal culture. In ancient times, women had to rely on a man to get by. If the man died or disowned the woman, she had to find another man quickly or be left to die. Polygamy is a carryover from that.

Man owns everything, it a macho world.

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not where I come from!  I support myself and have always done so.  I don't need to be with a man for economic reasons, so a relationship is a matter of choice.

Education, economic opportunities and contraception are what women need to achieve equality and make their own choices. One scraggy male shared between four women?  I don't think so!!!!

Just kidding, times have changed a lot
          I thinking of women as spiritual leaders
          That's why a can barely handle one,
          Never pulled off two in my entire life, and old to try

1. profile image0
            zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Old pots cook best soup...

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

You can brainwash a person into anything if you start early enough. I find polygamy a sad thing.

Exactly. That's the one main reason religions are successful in keeping their flocks. smile

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is because early enough you've been brainwashed into monogamy, right? wink

I think that it is all about choice - if a group of people choose to marry/co-habit with each other then that's what they choose to do and it is up to them about how they make it work.

It's where there is no choice involved that I think its wrong. So if its ok for a man to have four wives, then it should be ok for a woman to have three husbands.

Or what about two women and two men? smile

3. Ahmad Usman profile image65

Dont ever think that Polygamy is for the purpose of LUST or to DEPRIVE women of thier RIGHTS. One has to look at the bigger picture.

Read my whole post above to know what happened in WW-II when millions of men died alone in Germany and what was decided at the Munich conference about the overwhelming nember of women for whom there was no one to look after and they were turning to prostitution.

Moreover, you should know that the Ratio of women-to-men is quite high. There are more women as compared to men.

In Islam, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is a role model. He practiced polygamy for the following reasons:

(1) For the sake of caring for the orphans and looking after the poor widows.
      There were some Muslim women who had earlier enjoyed high dignity in the Arab society. But on the death of their husbands, their status and even faith were in jeopardy, because their tribal chiefs would take them back and compel them to renounce Islam, thus converting them back to polytheism.

For example, Sawdah (2nd wife of the prophet & 50 years old) had migrated to Abyssinia where her husband died, and she became absolutely without helper. It was the time when the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) (saw) had lost Khadijah, his first wife; so he married Sawdah.

Likewise, Zaynab daughter of Khuzaymah, was an old-aged widow, who after the death of her husband was inflicted with poverty, despite her being amiable and being known as 'Ummul-Masakin' (Mother of the poor). Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married her to uphold her dignity and she died of old age only after two years of that marriage.

(2) For the sake of enacting a new law and eradicating injustice by the ignorant tribes.
      For example, Zaynab bint-Jahsh was the daughter of the Prophet's aunt. She was married, at the recommendation of the Prophet, to Zayd ibn-Harithah, the freed slave and adopted son of the Prophet. This marriage was contracted to eradicate the discrimination against slaves and poor and to emphasize the Islamic equality and brotherhood, as Zaynab was from the family of Abd al-Muttalib, the grandfather of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and the Chief of Quraysh, whereas Zayd was a slave who was freed by the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

Unfortunately, Zaynab due to her family pride did not get along well with Zayd despite Prophet's persuasions. The rift between the two culminated into divorce. Meanwhile, the system of adoption of children was expressly forbidden by Allah (SWT). So, when Zayd divorced Zaynab, the Prophet of Islam, at the express command of God, married Zaynab; and, thus, put an end to the then prevalent belief that adopted sons were like real sons and that wives or widows of adopted sons were like daughters-in-laws.

(3) For the sake of freeing prisoners and slaves. For example, 'Juwayriyah' was from a prominent tribe of Banul-Mustalaq. In a war against Islam this tribe was defeated; and Juwayriyah, the daughter of their Chief, was held in captivity. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married her to set an example of protection and good treatment to prisoners of war.

On seeing that the prisoners had become relatives of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) by marriage, the Muslims released all the prisoners of war held by them. According to Ibne Hisham, over one hundred families of Banul-Mustalaq were freed from captivity as a result of this marriage.

(4) For the sake of uniting some prominent Arab tribes who often were at logger heads with each other and to safeguard the internal political status of Islam.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married A'ishah daughter of Abu Bakr Siddiq (first caliph) from the tribe of Bani Tim, Hafsah daughter of Omar ibn Al-Khattab (second caliph) from the tribe of Adi, Umm-Habibah daughter of Abu Sufyan from the tribe of Umayyah, Safiyah daughter of Huaiy bin Akhtab of the Jewish tribe of Bani an-Nadir, and Maymunah from the tribe of Bani Makhzum.

Umm-Habibah (i.e. Ramla) was daughter of Abu Sufyan of Bani Umayyah who was the bitterest enemy of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and had repeatedly fought against him. She, as a Muslim, was in great distress since she was divorced from her original husband (who had become a Christian in Abyssinia) and her father was a great enemy of Islam.

Seeing her deprived of every help from parent and divorced from husband, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married her in sympathy. This marriage also gave a chance to the people of Bani Umayyah to soften their hearts for Islam.

Safiyah was widowed daughter of Huaiy bin Akhtab, one of the chiefs of Jewish tribe of Bani an-Nadir. When the prisoners of this tribe were released by the Muslims, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married her in order to safeguard her status; and, thus, also linking himself with one of the great Jewish tribes of that time, and paving the way for them to come nearer to Islam.

Maymunah was 51 years of age and from a prominent tribe of Bani Makhzum whom Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) married in the year 7 after Hijrah.

4. profile image52

I could not see myself in a polygamous relationship but I will say that what adults do in the privacy of their bedroom is their business.  I don't understand why polygamy is illegal.  I don't think that children should marry; actually I think that people should have to wait at least until they are 21 or 25 in order to get married.  Anyone younger than 21 is still maturing.  Anyway, many, many women throughout the years have been married to men who have had extramarital affairs throughout the marriage and some men have started second families.  Many of these women knew about the affairs but they looked the other way.  To this day, you can talk to older women and they will tell younger women that "boys will be boys" and these women will encourage the younger women to "look the other way". 

The problem I think would come into play where the women would get jealous.  Parents play favorites with their children so a many would play favorites with his wives.  I don't like to share so again, it wouldn't work for me. 

I do like the show, "Big Love" on HBO though.  It is an interesting concept. 

I think though that men would not adhere to any of the things that Ahmad states in his posts.  In this day and age; in this society, the women would probably get the short end of the stick.

13. jay_kumar_07 profile image61

Friends
    Earlier ,Depend up on population of men&women.
    Identification of Father is difficult .

Now a days DNA test is possible--..
    ok..

14. Son Of Hamza profile image35
    Son Of Hamzaposted 13 years ago

Quran is the only religion on the face of the earth that allows men having up till four wives, Allah says in the Holy Qur'an:

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one." Al-Quran (4:3)

Before the Quran was revealed, there was no upper limit for polygamy and many men had many wives, some even hundreds. Islam put an upper limit of four wives. Islam gives a man permission to marry two, three or four women, only on the condition that he deals justly with them.

So, Islam came to control having an infinite number of wives, like it was during the Pre-Islamic era.

In the same chapter Allah says in Surah Nisa verse 129, Allah says:

"You will never be able to be fair and just among women (wives)...." Quran (4:129)

Hence, Islam does allow having more than one wife, yet it has set conditions for that, which is that the husband should be fair with all his wives, and treat them equally, which is very difficult.

Multiple marriages lay a heavy responsibility on men, which is why Allah allowed having more than one wife only if the husband treats his wives equally. If a man has more than one wife, he must treat them all in an equal manner, emotionally and financially. For example, he has to provide separate living accommodation for each of his wives.

Since it is very difficult to be just with all wives, in practice, most of the Muslim men do not have more than one wife.

Therefore polygyny is not a rule or an order but an exception. Many people are under the misconception that it is compulsory for a Muslim man to have more than one wife.

The reason for multiple wives in Islam was not to satisfy mens desire and that's it, but for the welfare of the widows and the orphans of the wars. During war times, many women are unable to find husbands, and they might prefer to be a co-wife than no wife.

Also allowing multiple marriages is useful in case a man's wife is sterilized and can't give him the chance of being a father; here he has the right to marry another wife, and leaving the choice to her whether she wants to continue being his wife if he marries another woman or not

However men are prohibited from cheating on their wives, meaning a man can't marry another woman without the knowledge of his wife. He should tell her, for she might refuse such situation, and in this case it's totally her right if she asked for divorce.

In the pre-Islamic period, men used to have many wives.

One person had 11 wives and when he converted to Islam, he asked Prophet Mohammad (pbuh): "What should I do with my wives?"

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) replied:

"Divorce the all except four."

When non-Muslims hear about Prophet Mohammads multiple wives, they might conclude without much thought that he was a sensuous man. But the truth is that Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was married to only one woman, Khadijah. He remained devoted to her from age 24 to 50. Only after her death, did the Prophet marry other women. The reason behind the Prophet (PBUH) marrying more than one wife was to spread Islam, and help the Islamic message to reach out to the world.

It is obvious that if he was after physical pleasure, he didnt have to wait until he was more than fifty years old to start marrying other wives. His later marriages were for various reasons, some marriages were with the view to help widows whose husbands had been killed for the sake of Islam, others were to cement relationships with devoted followers like Abu Bakr Al-Sadeeq, may Allah be pleased with him. Some of his marriages were to build strong relations with various tribes that were at war with Muslims. In brief, Prophet Mohammads marriages always had Islamic motives.

Some of the non-Muslims misunderstand polygyny and claim that it is one of the negative aspects of Islam, but in fact Islam sought to control and regulate the number of wives rather than give free license. And the permission given to men to have more than one wife is controlled with the conditions Allah has set before marrying another wife.
    Source: anwary-islam.com

if this is true how can a saudi prince have many wives( over 40 wives),is that allowed by the Quran because they are 'GOOD MUSLIMS" and are very rich??
      Just a thought that this just might be a double standard. I do not care how many wives a man has but if it is good for the saudi's then it MUST be good for every man under Islam if Islam is FAIR, or do the saudi's have to divorce all but 4???

Or does money speak in Islam, if you have the money it appears you can change the Quran to suit yourself.!!!!

if you have to provide 'seperate living  accommodation' for each wife , then a HAREM is not allowed under Islam because all the wives live to-gether.

Again I find that Islam says one thing but will do another to please RICH Muslims, how is this allowed to happen if Islam says that they ( the wives) must have 'separate accommadition' there is no such think in a 'HAREM' so the rich can do as they like with Islam, but if you are not rich you 'MUST FOLLOW THE RULES' How can you say Islam is FAIR or JUST if this goes on.!!!!!

1. Son Of Hamza profile image35
        Son Of Hamzaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm speaking about Islam not the behavior of some Muslims

I don't know why you insist on disrespect Islam and quran 

thanks

I did not disrepect the Quran, if the Quran has been disrepected it is by 'some Muslims ( your words) and some Muslims also disrepect Islam but no one from Islam ever complains about Muslims that 'BEND THE RULES' only people that ask Questions, guess you are no different you hide from hard questions.

So do not tell me I disrepect Islam unless you can say that the Saudi's also disrepect Islam too, as they break the rules of Allah!!!!

Hey Friend! Why is it always Islam that goes to TRIAL?

You can't judge a GROUP of people by what a PERSON does and you can't either judge a PERSON by what a GROUP of people does.

Quran clearly says to marry 1 OR 2 OR 3 OR 4 on the basis of equility and Justice and not to exceed the limit of 4.

I don't know how many women RICH SAUDIS marry BUT if any Muslim goes against the teachings of Quran doesnt mean that ISLAM is false. NO! But if anyone does so, has to face punishment in the here-after.

By the way, if you are an Athiest (looks like to me), you can dis-respect and dismiss Quran BUT if you are CHRISITIAN then you must RESPECT it Bcoz it has lots of HIGLY RESPECTED verses about Jesus Christ, the son of Mary and also about MARY, who is mentioned in the Quran as the most PIOUS, INNOCENT, SINLESS and highly RESPECTED woman of all Nations.

To a Christian Mary or Jesus in the Quran are not worth reading, because untill the Quran admits Jesus 1/ Did die on the cross,
                                                             2/ Jesus is the son of God the father,
                                                                 3/ Allah never 'saved' Jesus from the cross,
                                                                    because Allah is not God.PERIOD.
          I as a Christian do NOT have to accept any other book about any other 'God' as I do not belive the Quran. To me the whole Quran is pure 'hearsay'  if you look up 'hearsay' the Quran fits it perfectly. Also I do not belive the Quran 'respects' any other God ( like Jesus) because to accept Jesus you reject Allah.

So Ahmad,I am not putting Islam on trial, the Rich Saudi's might be. the terrorist's might be, Islam fighting Islam might be, but I leave you with one fact Jesus is the son of God the Father, no matter how the Quran tries to change that fact.

And that is said without insult, all I point out is to me and all Christians the Quran has got it WRONG. Jesus is the son of the only true God. That is God the father, and not Allah.I did mention the saudi's because they have a strict Muslim Country, but the RICH SAUDI'S appear  to do as they please in the name of ISLAM. And there is NO COMPLAINTS from any ISLAMIC leader.? So I belive they do this in the name of Islam, because they have money and can buy favors from Islam.

And as a Christian why must I respect  your Quran?
          For your infomation I am Catholic.
          What do you follow?

Also I belive it is very wrong to have more than one wife ( at the same time)  to have more than one is to disrepect woman, PERIOD.!!

To you, does the Jewsih holy book "Talmud" worth reading about Jesus and Mary? Since Jesus Christ was a JEW by race.

Well if you don't want to accept Quran just because it says that Jesus was not God BUT one of the greatest messengers of God then you must also not accept the Bible because there are many reason to believe that Jesus was not God according to Bible. Want proofs???

There is not a single word in the whole Bible which mentions the word TRINITY.

TRINITY=UNITY ---> This is how Christians EXPOSE themselves when asked about TRINITY:

Is Jesus God? Yes
            Is Jesus the Father? NO
            Is the Father God? Yes
            Is The Father Jesus? No
            So these are 2 different persons? Yes
            And both are God? Yes
            Is the Holy Spirit God?Yes
            Is the Holy Spirit the Father or Jesus? No
            So Jesus is God, the Father is God, and the Holy Spirit is God? Yes
            And these are three different persons? Yes
            So you have three persons, each one is God, how many is that? 1 (LOL)

the holy trinty is God, not 3 persons, Jesus said 'I am' that is God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit ( all the same God) I know it is hard 4 you to understand, and  now you laugh and insult Jesus. Any you say I disrepect the Quran, now you are disrepecting Jesus. There is nothing exposed except your compleate missunderstanding of the Holy Bible, instead of trying to prove the Bible wrong try to read and understand, God (Jesus) loves you and Jesus wants to get to know you. You see the Gospels are full of true love from Jesus to you, My Jesus is a loveing God  and ny Jesus is not the Jesus in the Quran, The Quran gives a false account of Jesus, Allah never 'saved ' Jesus from the cross,Jesus and Allah ( your God) never met, Jesus is God ( Father,son, holy spirit) I know you have trouble understanding the Holy Trinity, but is is easy if you have a oppen mind. But instead you laugh (LOL) at Jesus and never try to fill your heart with the love of God. Please tell me were it says in the Quran that ' Allah loves you' it is not there, nowere will Allah ever say he LOVES you. But Jesus loves you, read about the true God Jesus Christ, Read the Bible, not to try to prove the Bible wrong but to understand the LOVE Jesus has for you, and do not laugh at Jesus.

Ahmad why do you not answer anything except to try and bring up other subjects to try and prove your case. The 'Talmud' and the "Quran'  are NOT the Holy Bible so are of no inportance to me as a Christian, I have the Bible why do I need other Books . What other Books do you need after the 'Quran."Yes Jesus was a Jew and yes Mohammed HATED JEWS, so how can you HATE A JEW then in next breath you say a JEW was the greatest messenger of a God that HATES JEWS. To a Muslim A JEW is the worst kind of 'thing' A JEW is not even human according to ISLAM, then you say you LOVE A JEW>!!!!

Now you show me were in the Holy Bible page chapter and verse were it says 'JESUS IS NOT GOD"  I want to see were the Bible states 'JESUS IS NOT GOD" simple Ahmad show me PAGE CHAPTER AND VERSE WERE THE BIBLE STATES' JESUS IS NOT GOD"

1. jay_kumar_07 profile image61

BIBLE STATES THAT JESUS PRAYED TO GOD MANY TIMES.

GOD
                GODS word with moses only
                GODS word with Abraham only
                GODS word with JESUS only

NOW
                GODS word with Everybody.

Alas! I though you will understand my message BUT you have mis-interpret it in the same way Christians mis-interpret the Bible verses and say that Jesus is God.

---> We Muslims can't even think of disgracing Jesus (PBUH) because Islam is the only non-Christian faith, which makes it an article of faith to believe in Jesus. No Muslim is a Muslim if he does not believe in Jesus.

Quran even mentions some of the miracles of Jesus which are not to be found in the WHOLE Bible, like speaking of Jesus while he was only a baby and breathing life into a bird made of clay.

On the other hand, it is the Christians who DISGRACE and LAUGHS at Jesus by violating the clear COMMANDMENDS of God Almighty in the Bible.

The bible says not to make any images but the Chruches are full of idols and pictures. The most heartrending thing is that you Christians have made movies about Jesus showing him half-NAKED and DANCING on the roads. So who is actullay degrading Jesus, Christians or Muslims?

Exodus 20:4
                "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

Leviticus 26:1
                " 'Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God."

Isaiah 41:29
                "See, they are all false! Their deeds amount to nothing; their images are but wind and confusion."

---> The question we ask from Christians is not whether the TRINITY is Holy or un-Holy, the Q is how many persons are there in the TRINITY and this is a fact that there are three persons in the TRINITY which means 3 Gods.

Even the Bible does not support the Christian belief in TRINITY at all. One of the scribes once asked Jesus (PBUH) as to which was the first commandment of all, to which Jesus (PBUH) merely repeated what Moses (PBUH) had said earlier:

Hebrew: "Shama Israelu Adonai Ila Hayno Adonai Ikhad."

Translation: "Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord."

[Deuteronomy 6:4] and [Mark 12:29].

And this is precisely what God says in the Quran:

"Your God is One God; there is no god but He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful" [Quran 2:163].

3. Ahmad Usman profile image65

---> Understanding the concept of TRINITY is not only a problem for me BUT also for MILLIONS & MILLIONS of Chrisitains. E.G:

"Christ, according to the faith, is the second person in the Trinity, the Father being the first and the Holy Ghost third.

Each of these persons is God.

Christ is his own father and his own son.

The Holy Ghost is neither father nor son, but both.

The son was begotten by the father, but existed before he was begotten--just the same before as after.

Christ is just as old as his father, and the father is just as young as his son.

The Holy Ghost proceeded from the Father and Son, but was equal to the Father and Son before he proceeded, that is to say, before he existed, but he is of the same age as the other two.

So it is declared that the Father is God, and the Son and the Holy Ghost God, and these three Gods make one God.

According to the celestial multiplication table,

once one is three, and

three time one is one, and

according to heavenly subtraction

if we take two from three, three are left.

The addition is equally peculiar:

if we add two to one we have but one.

Each one equal to himself and to the other two.

Nothing ever was,

nothing ever can be more perfectly idiotic and

absurd than the dogma of the TRINITY."

(Ingersoll's Works, Vol. 4, p. 266-67).

---> This is the most stupid thing we ever hear from Christians that Prophet Muhammad or We Muslims hate Jews. You have made the statement, now produce your proofs where Islam or prophet said that JEWS are not Humans??? WAITING...

Uri Avnery (1923--) is an eminent Israeli writer and founder of the Gush Shalom peace movement. A member of the Irgun as a teenager & was also the owner of HaOlam HaZeh, an Israeli news magazine, from 1950 until it closed in 1993 writes:

“Every honest Jew who knows the history of his (Muhammad’s) people cannot but feel a deep sense of gratitude to Islam, which has protected the Jews for fifty generations, while the Christian world persecuted the Jews and tried many times ‘by the sword’ to get them to abandon their faith.”

Who is the real hater of JEWS, ones who killed 5 MILLION in Germany OR the ones who always PROTECTED them. Judge your-self:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyga561udHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skbExDtFiu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haeeIvbdWYI

You have completely ignored my earlier Q.....To you, Is the Jewish Holy Book "Talmud" worth reading about Jesus and Mary (PBUT)?

Ahmed you must have been drinking if you are trying to tell us Islam protects the Jews.Next you will tell Islam and Mohammed are wrong becaust Ahmed said Islam loves and protects Jews  Islam never attacked the Jews, in Israel  and got your sorry arses kicked  Islam begged to end each war , Islam  has protected the Jews yeah right and pigs fly.

Hate to tel you this but it was Mohammed that forced the Quran by the sword and  you converted or died .

I will tell you again if you can understand the 'Talmud' is JEWISH Quran is ISLAM , I am Christian ok so why do I want to read a Jewish book to find out about Jesus as the Bible ( CHRISTIAN ) has everything I need to know ok. CAN you UNDERSTAND NOW!!!!!

oh by the way You tube is not a sorce of any proof ok.

1. profile image52

Skipper, if you are confident in what you believe, you can learn about any religion.  Learning about another religion does not detract or distract from who you are or what you believe; unless a person is easily swayed.  If we learn from one another, we can better understand one another.  If you worship the same God that I do, we are to love one another.  This fighting and bickering does not help any of us.

4. jay_kumar_07 profile image61

How can GOD[JESUS] pray to GOD many times in Bible.

1. ThomasE profile image68
                  ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It’s pretty simple, God is God. Because we are not perfect, we can see only one aspect of him at a time. God chose to come down to see us, his creation, but because he was too much for us he created an imperfect, human form, the incarnation with which he could interact with us. Jesus could feel pain, or bleed, but he was part of God. One aspect. Yet, although god limited himself so we could see him, he is infinite and unlimited.
                  I think that is one aspect that quite sharply defines the Muslim religion: they limit Allah by saying that he cannot choose to incarnate, and must meet us through imperfect vessels (i.e. the Prophets and Angels).
                  Both the Old Testament and Mohammed’s teachings were relayed through imperfect vessels, and so there can be no guarantee that they are right.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
                    pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well concept of god incarnating is age old among humans...but allah never getting incarnating is unique in concept...i guess jews too dont believe in god incarnating...do they?

3. profile image52

Skipper, why are you being so mean and disrespectful?  By your picture, it looks like you are an older guy so you should be setting a good example for all of us.  I'm not Catholic, I'm a Christian, (and there is a difference) but I was raised to be respectful of all cultures and religions.  Just because you do not believe does not give you the right to be so mean.  No one is attacking the Catholic faith here and believe me, there are many, many, many things that could be brought up. 
            Remember, it tells us in the Bible, "He who is without sin, cast the first stone."  Stop throwing stones!

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What are today's reasons for Islam permitting up to four wives. Are Muslim men still going to war and dying for Islam, leaving wives at home to go and be a co-wife of someone else?

What does Islam say to those men who cannot find a wife because other men have more than one?

If a man's first wife becomes sick and permits her husband to marry a second, is he bound by Islam to also sleep with his new 2nd wife? Is he allowed to sleep with both at the same time?

now I am thinking if you are allowed to sleep with both wives to-gether  under Islam would you not be just as bit sexually kinky, just a thought.

then if that is true then you can sleep with up to 4 wives at the same time, that is kinky for sure.

3. Beelzedad profile image59

The "thinning of the herd" must have been quite a blow to the misogynist mindset. In a way, the Quran almost deals with medieval thinking but they didn't get it quite right. Islam seems to have maintained the power and control men have over women to still treat them like cattle.

4. skipper112 profile image60

Ahmed, I have to ask are you sure Mohammed said that, after all it has no verification from Mohammed he could not read, and Quran was written by others after his death. Not much proof is there??

skipper indeed it is a well known FACT that Muhammad was an ILLITERATE and could neither READ nor WRITE.

Should I prove to you from ISLAMIC sources or from your own BIBLE that Muhammad (PBUH) was UNLETTERED?

yes prove it from Bible!!!

HEY Friends skipper saying to prove to me from Bible that Muhammad was UNLETTERED. Here we go:

"""Those who follow the Messenger, the UNLETTERED Prophet whom they find written in the Torah and the Gospel with them.""" He enjoins upon them that which is right and forbids for them that which is evil. He makes lawful for them all things that are good and prohibits for them all that is foul and he relieves them from their burden and the fetters that they used to wear. Then those who believe in him, honor him, assist him, and follow the light which is sent down with him: they are the successful." (Qur'an 7:157)

Now Read what the Bible (Isaiah 29:11-18) says:

"And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which [men] deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, [I pray thee]: and he saith, I cannot; for it [is] sealed: """And the book is delivered to him that is not LEARNED, saying, Read this, [I pray thee]: and he saith, I am not LEARNED"""............."

---> BACKGROUND:
            Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was illiterate. His entire life he never learned to read nor write. The exact circumstances of this first revelation were as follows: It was the habit of Muhammad (PBUH) to frequently remove himself from the midst of his fellow Arabs and their heathenistic actions and spend many days secluded in the cave of "Hiraa" in the mountains of Makkah where he would pray to God according to the religion of Abraham (peace be upon him). After many years of this, and having reached the age of forty (610AD), the angel Gabriel suddenly appeared before him and ordered him to "Iqra!" (read, recite, repeat, proclaim). Muhammad (peace be upon him), in his terror thought he was being asked to read, so he stammered: "I am unlettered." The angel Gabriel again ordered him to "Iqra!" Muhammad (peace be upon him) again replied: "I am unlettered." The angel Gabriel now took a firm hold of him and commanded him "Iqraa in the name of Allah who created!". Now Muhammad (peace be upon him) began to understand that he was not being asked to read, but to recite, to repeat. He began to repeat after him, and Gabriel revealed to him the first verses of the Qur'an:

"Read (Iqra)! In the name of your Lord who created,
            Created man from a clot.
            Read (Iqra)! And your Lord is the Most Bounteous,
            Who teaches by the pen,
            Teaches man that which he knew not."
            (Qur'an 96:1-5)

As mentioned above, the actual word angel Gabriel used to address Muhammad (PBUH) was the Arabic word "Iqra." It is derived from the Arabic root word "qara". However, if we were to go back to the original Hebrew form of the verses of Isaiah 29:11, we would find that the actual word which is translated into English as "Read this [I pray thee]" is the Hebrew word qara', {kaw-raw'}. Is it not an amazing coincidence that the Hebrew text used not only a word with the same meaning, but the exact same word itself ?

1. libby101a profile image59
              libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know...that would almost be believable had the Torrah not been written first! Muhammad couldn't read or write...but he knew verses from the Bible! And even if you deny that... he didn't write it... others did...years later! Therefore...anyone could have red the Torrah and added this! And since the Torrah was written first then the Qu'ran is merely a copy... or an after effect! Anyone can claim anything from a previous book but it doesn't make it real or proof! Try something else! Thanks!

15. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 13 years ago

So, was Solomon's concubine no. 273 free to walk away? Did she have reasonable working hours? Decent holidays? What do you reckon?

1. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paraglider, with 272 other women sharing the workload, I imagine she had a lot of free time on her hands!

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just thinking out loud!
        This fact? that Solomon has so many wives and concubines opens up many questions.

I think? that the reason for his having so many wives was due to establishing peace in the area, after all you wouldn't declare all out war against your father in law ?  Would Ya?      and the dowry $$$$$  that came along with them.???

The concubines ??   Like his own little chicken coop, keeping outside rosters out just in case he wanted to spend some time with one of them.

If this practice from a Holy man was acceptable ? 

First question that comes to my mind would be; 

How many females were being born in ratio to males??
      I think that if there were 5 men being born to every woman, all women should have 5 husbands. What do you think?
            Seems only fair to me?

16. matherese profile image59
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

Some men are just very greedy when it comes to women.

Today they get married to a chubby women because  they like women with a lot of flesh, a few years after they fall in love with a skinny one , because the previous one is gone out of fashion.  Ater that they will they fall in love with a very short one because they can easyly lift her up. Then they marry a fourth one who is very tall because she stands out in a crowd.

Usually this sort of men are very scared to divorce the previous wifes as they know they might end up penniless.

This poor women not knowing what to do decide to stay in this sort of relationship. Giving the man an opportuniy to boost his ego.

17. skipper112 profile image60
    skipper112posted 13 years ago

I just want to know why if you ask any Questions about Islam, you are told you are insulting the Quran. Why must a Christian respect the Quran. Why do Muslim's run and never answer any hard questions.

I am waiting.... when will you put your HARD questions?

1st . As a Christian why must a Christian respect your Quran, it means NOTHING to a Christian??

2. While ever Islam continues to commit acts of terror, why respect Islam?

3 While you and Islam tell lies about Jesus why respect you.?

4. As the Quran was written from the memory of Mohammed by many and only after Mohammed died, why is not the Quran 'HEARSAY'?

the 'tulmad' is Jewish again not Christian.

After you answer the first 3 honestly and to my satisfaction  I have a few hundred more

1. You should respect Quran in a sense that it is the final DIVINE book (beside TAURAH to Moses, ZABOOR to David, INJEEL to Jesus) revealed to final PROPHET Muhammad. If you don't, its OK. BUT atleast don't dis-respect it by BURNING it.

2. Acts of terror commited by Muslim individuals/groups have nothing to do with Islam. The first and the foremost basic right of a human being is the right to live. Quran says:

"...if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people." [Quran 5:32]

3. Is it  lies that Quran mentions those MIRACLES of Jesus which are not even mentioned in the Bible?

4. Quran could not have been written by an illiterate from his MEMORY. Quran was written over a period of 23 years and it was saved and memorised by heart by MANY MANY companions of the prophet during his life time.

---> Holy books of Jews are a vital part of the Christian faith. It was concerning the OT laws and the Jewsih Prophets that Jesus said plainly that he came not to destroy the Law or the Prophets but rather to fulfill.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven; but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."(Mathew 5:17-19)

So skipper do you consider Jewish Holy book "TALMUD" worth reading about Jesus and Mary (PBUH)?

Why do you quote Jewish books to a Christian.

give me proof Quran was last word of God.

Mormans say Joseph Smith was visited by same angel as Mohammed, but he had a different message. They claim they have the last word from God. ( read The Book of Morman)

Did the Quran make up miracles Jesus was supossed to do, Give me proof Bible is wrong.?

And hang your head in SHAME to even think I would burn the Quran or any other book. If you have any Honnor you wil say you are sorry for such foul comment. HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT. this only proves you only look for hate not peace. I want a apology. Or you are not worthy of even talking to as you are a man with out HONNOR Is this ISLAM????

And I have met thousands of Christians we under the Holy Trinity, guess you need love to understand that, and Jesus loves you.

I am quoting Jewish book to Christians bcoz Jesus said that you must have faith in the previous books revealed to Jewsih prophets.."(Mathew 5:17-19)

Its SO easy to prove Quran is the last DIVINE book. I will prove to you from SCIENTIFIC facts that Quran is indeed the word of God.

I didn't say that you have burned the Quran BUT i was refering to that Christian PRIEST and all those CHRISTIANS who followed him either on FB or Youtube or Practically.

Now i am asking this question for the 4th time....Is Jewsih Holy Book "TALMUD" worth reading about Jesus and Mary?

The Church of Morman say they are the last word of God.
                You can ask, but the 'Talmud' is nothing to me , as you have been told many times quote from Christian sorces, now you state it is easy to prove the Quran is last word from God then PROVE IT ?
                You only quote Jewish books because you can find no other way to help your cause, to discredit Christians.
                I accept your weak apology.
                I am telling you for the 4th time use Christian Gospels if you wish to discredit Christians.
                Now I wait for you to prove 100% with proof from other sorces that the Quran is the last word of God, and prove it to Mormans ok, over to you now........................

I agree Druid now Ahmad has to prove The Book of Morman wrong, and Joseph Smith, and the Golden Tablets.................. this is going to be fun Ahmad has oppened his mouth, now it is time to prove his words..................

"These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." (Luke 24:44)

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. (Matthew 5:17)

"...I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets". (Acts 24:14)

"Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the Prophets wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." (John 1:45)

"After the reading of the Law and the Prophets the synagogue officials sent to them, saying, "Brethren, if you have any word of exhortation for the people, say it." (Acts 13:15)

----> Skipper, in the LIGHT of the above BIBLICAL verses from Jesus GOSPELS, you have DEGRADED and LAUGHED at the teachings of Jesus by saying  'Talmud' is nothing to me'. SHAME on You.

---> It SO SO easy to prove Quran is the word of God.

Should i prove to you from SCIENTIFIC facts mentioned in the Quran or through PREDICTIONS in the Quran or through HISTORICAL facts?

BUT skipper you have to PROMISE that if I prove to You, Quran is the DIVINE book, then you will PROCLAIM in this forum that:

"There is no god but GOD and MUHAMMAD is the messenger and slave of God" + "Jesus is the messenger and slave of GOD".

Are you READY skipper?

yes ready to answer your warped vision of Jesus Christ.

Ready for you to prove the Quran from other sorces that the
                    quran  is the only  word of God.
                    You must show me were in the Bible it states " There is no God but but God and Mohammed is the messenger of God and slave of God + Jesus is the messanger and slave of God' are you ready  Ahmed can you show me that.
                    I am still waiting for you to prove the Quran, you said it is so EASY yet you fail to do it.

As you still only know how to insult, with out reason in case you do not know I will tell you ' Tlamud' is a JEWISH bok on it is NOT CHRISTIAN, do you understand that fact now.

It is not me that laughs and degrades Jesus it is you because you cannot accept Jesus is the son of God and you only look in the Bible to try and justify your warped view of Christians, you only show HATE to wards Jesus by refuseing to belive Jesus is God.

you laugh and show disrepct to Jesus, to Christians and you now HAVE to show me were you get the disrepect from  the BIBLE.
                    Mormans have the last word from God, not Mohammed, PROVE Mormans wrong.

Prove from other sorces Mohammed ever saw any Angel, prove from other sorces the Quran is the last word of God. I will belive if the Bible proves the Quran is the word of God??? The Mormans state Joseph Smith recieved the last word from God and they have as much 'proof' as Mohammed so Mohammed   DID NOT recieve the last word from God.

I'm ready to see you disprove  The Book of Morman which IS THE LAST WORD OF GOD.

I'm ready to see you prove from other sorces the Quran is the word of God.

I'm ready for you to prove Mohammed had any visits from ANY Angel.

Jewish 'holy Books' are not vital to Christians, nor is the Quran, get your facts right do not prove you  know nothing about Christianity,  we already know that.

Now I know you CANNOT answer without trying to change the subject, you have 2 coices answer  each question and prove your answers. If you fail as you will, then you have to stop your attacks on Christians FOREVER.

ARE YOU READY AHMED, YOUR BLUFF IS CALLED DO YOU ANSWER, CAN YOU PROVE YOUR WORDS??????
                    LETS SEE

2. Druid Dude profile image61

Are you saying that Mormonism is a false religion. They claim to have the final word. smile

2. profile image52

Skipper, you are a Catholic.  How can a Catholic criticize any other religion?  All the evil things that have been done by Catholics, popes, priests... you really shouldn't go there. 

I was watching a minister just a few days ago talking about the horrible things that the Catholic church has done.  This minister is preaching that the Pope is the Anti-Christ.  He actually gave some persuasive arguments.  If you want the site, I can give it to you.

2. profile image49
      winnertakeall1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is insulting when i say to you...hey ! white monkey, wat are you blabberin about  ?

It is polite if you reciprocate with.....please sir, may i have some more....oliver twist.

Do you get my drift, o'pale face ?

18. jay_kumar_07 profile image61

I want to know the religion which is prefering  one wife and one husband policy.
    pl Advice.

Friend It is Islam. The Quran says very clearly to marry 1 woman or 2 or 3 or 4 but if you can't do justice b/w any1 of them, then marry only 1.

realy tell that to the Saudi's with the harems they follow Islam. Only one wife I do not think so.

2. jay_kumar_07 profile image61

All are prefering one wife and one husband theory.

I accept your one husband and more wifes - with justice
        In every religion some people are living with more wife with JUSTICE.

Any thing in ISLAMabout one women with more Husband.If it is not then WHY.
        Pl advice

3. libby101a profile image59

Ahmad Usman... you realize that Jesus said one man for one woman.. not 4! One marriage... not 4! Hmmm... somewhere between the Qu'ran and Jesus' words the wires got crossed... and since God doesn't change his mind... then which is wrong? Jesus word? Or the Qu'ran???

simple Christian's belive in one man to one woman

skipper how many wives did the head of the Church of England, Henry VIII had?

Do you know or should i have to EXPOSE that too?

Henry the 8th was kind enough to kill off his current wife before he married the next one.

Please.. no one expose themeselves

2. libby101a profile image59

It doesn't matter to me how many wives the head of the Church of England had! If he had more than one, as Jesus commanded, then he was wrong!

19. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

its cause the men are lazy as hell and with four wives to do all of the work the men can sit around and do nothing except complain smile

1. profile image49
      winnertakeall1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

weell,  when the man have to do the " shootin " while the women relish receiving goals after goals after goals and demanding more goals, where is the man goin to replenish his " bullets.....eh ??

1. luvpassion profile image62
        luvpassionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I shoot pretty good, many women here in the south do. But of course we need a man to protect us poor helpless lil women and your allah says take a couple extra. Crappolla.

At least the Atheists are honest about being horney. roll

so right luv love to see a Muslim tell a good ol southern gal he was going to put her ia a harem, think it would be one dead Muslim heheheehe

20. barryrutherford profile image76
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

Spread the domestic chores...(justsayin)

21. kesinee profile image72
    kesineeposted 13 years ago

Not only muslim man has four wives, thai guy has more ;-)

Materialism defined. That's why. Little true knowledge of the human value of WOMAN, that goes against the grain of anyone, male or female, who is a proponent of "doing away" with old, outdated concepts, that were never intended for infinite survival.

You are so right Druid a voice of reason, thanks for your decent words that honnor woman.

22. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I would think if a man could have more than one wife, and still be married to all of them, and in the same house, it wouldn't be much different than the man or woman who has been married and divorced four and five times.

Just think, the women could do each others hair and nails, watch the kids, and talk about girly stuff while the husband watches football. But, I don't think it would be very much fun in the bedroom for the women.

But, on the other hand, I don't think a woman with four or five husbands would go over very well. While she's chatting with her gal pals, the husbands are probably plotting to kill each other, as men are way too possessive to be open minded enough to share their woman, but, they would have no problem having more than one wife.

I say build a huge house, and they can all live happily ever after. If they don't kill each other first.

1. profile image48
      Sword of Fireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do men need four wives? Lack of either self control, or knowledge of PMS. Why do dead guys need seventy two virgins?

1. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't you see Family guy? The seventy two virgins are all teenage boys playing dungeons and dragons in the after life and they need another player to complete their team.

That suicide bomber sure was in for big surprise!

sword of fire, were is it written the 72 virgins are young woman?? they could be 72 verry old virgins/spinsters, or male virgins, now that is not worth dieing for hehehehehee

Jesus (Christian God) wants 32 virgin women for himself!!

The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was 675,000 sheep, 33 72,000 cattle, 34 61,000 donkeys 35 and 32,000 women who had never slept with a man.........16,000 people, of which the tribute for the LORD was 32.  (Numbers 31:32-40)

Jesus in (Matthew 17:29) says that all of the believers will have 100 times the wives, harems, sisters and brothers in Heaven!

skipper how many VIRGIN you want?

That is nonsense! Jesus said there were NO marriages in heaven! He also told those on earth to have ONE wife!

When Jesus came he fulfilled the old law!! So all those old test. verses you are quoting are useless! Jesus said ONE WIFE! Would you like quotes? Where do you get your verses from? I've read the Bible, The Torrah, and the Qu'ran many times over... and I've yet to see those verses you are quoting from the Bible! That is NOT what Jesus said!

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

spare tires.

When I was young and we live in another province in the Philippines. I always go to my friends house and then his dad had two women in the house. And all the children stayed in the same house. My friend is the son of the second woman in the house.

The wife is the one who holds the money and supervise them all and the second woman follows what the told them to do. I don't know about sleeping arrangements etc. They don't quarrel at all because the man told them to behave.

There is only one wife because it is illegal to marry twice at the same time. Although I observed that it is normal occurrences that other people have other women on the side because if they are tired with their first wife they can't divorce them. There is no divorce in the Philippine - only annulment (and it is hard to get that). People even if they are suffocated in their marriage can't go out easily that is why they have just to get another woman.

Unlike here in the US, there is divorce, so one at a time - kind of relationship works, but in shorter time so they can dispense their partner and get another one.

3. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years ago

one to cook
      one for bed
      one to look at
      and a spare

ask me a hard question

haahaha top marks leaubu makes a much sence as Islam

4. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Let me get to the heart of this... Why do men need four wives?

1) One to tell them they're wrong.
      2) One to remind them to put down the toilet seat.
      3) One to ask them to pick up milk on the way home from work.
      $) And one to pick out their clothes for them.

5. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years ago

ironher
      sorry your wrong
      i have one wife and she can do all that and still have time for more chores
      is that your work/laundry name or what
      thomas says hi

6. profile image0
      luabuposted 13 years ago

hi ironher
      confused /why do you have to put down the toilet seat
      why not leave it down all the time
      thats what us folks do
      just trying to reduce your work load

7. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Henry VIII is famously remembered for having six wives—two of whom he had beheaded—which helped to make him a cultural icon, with many books, films, plays, and television series based around him and his wives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_VIII_of_England

dont think he was held up as an example to follow though

1. profile image51

Wasn't he the head of the Church of England?

he was a head of the army.. which allowed him to be the head of whatever he wanted to be.

I doubt any Christian would hold up Henry the 8th as a role model for anything

Even Henry VIII stuck to having one wife at a time!

But as it was Henry VIII who split the English church from Rome and made himself the Head of the Church of England, I'm not sure who was supposed to tell him to stand down.  The poor souls who opposed the split and refused to sign the Act of Succession discovered exactly how drawn out and painful not agreeing with Henry Tudor could be!

agree Greek One

8. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years ago

Why not? It's totally up to him and his wives. smile

9. ddsurfsca profile image70
      ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

It's obvious, so that he can have 39 children of course.

1. profile image51

I think at least the Protestants should have removed him from the office of the head of church of England; just to keep the record clean according to the "Christianity" invented by Paul. You know Jesus wasn't a Christian; and nobody knows for sure as to how many wives did Jesus have. Jesus was from the line of David; who I think had many wives.

welcome back oh speaker of falshoods as usuall you realy know nothing you are so stupid it is a worry. but I have missed your usless dribble.

Parr,

As you speak from a banned Moslim sect, I do not belive you realy know what you are talking about.

If you state the Protestants should have removed Henry the eight as head of the Church of England.Why do you not remove your false  leader as no one in Islam accepts him except your banned sect.

Jesus was a Jew ok so now you know and Islam hates Jews. To Islam a Jew is worse than vermin. Islam saves a Jew I do not think so.

You keep on your HATE towards Paul and Christians, now you must know how many 'wives' Jesus had as you saved Jesus from the CROSS and let Jesus go to India were he died a peacefull death at 120 years,and PIGS FLY.

Even Islam says that is false.So no prize Parr try again your lies get better each post. What next  Jesus's grand parents, and Grandchildren.

Just do not miss the flock of pigs flying past your window.

Skipper

I really should not insult but Paar you really ask for it

10. Momma Mia profile image63
      Momma Miaposted 13 years ago

Well to break up the tension here...  one man needs 4 wives.......one to keep an eye on him at all times......one that cooks like a chef.....one that cleans like a maid......one that @#@# like a whore.........well at least that is what I have taken notice of...... LOL   However it does seem there is much talk on the subject and I don't feel that I am prepared to discuss on an intelligent level.......at least until I research all aspects of this topic..  Hope everyone has a very Happy Holiday season....

Momma Mia,
        I must say no man needs more than one wife.And to me that is,  end of story. I do not belive in selling my wife's love short. To me a marriage is a uinion between a man and woman PERIOD.
        Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Skiper
        may your God walk with you

P.S and my wife is all things to me and I love her with all my heart

11. Momma Mia profile image63
      Momma Miaposted 13 years ago

My My Skipper...   you are not finding my humor today....  laughter is also Godly....speaking of which ...there is only one God......no matter how many wives others have.... no matter how may wars are fought in his name.......no matter how many people look down their nose at others in an attempt to feel  better in their own eyes. God is love, patient, compassionate, humble, rageful if needed.....and above all......God is within our hearts and Soul...if not God was cast out by ones freewill.
        So Glad you are happy with your wife...my parents just celebrated 50 years of marriage. That makes me smile!
         Have fun and laugh a bit......a good man is judged by his honor yes......but an honorable man can laugh too.
                 Cheers to the NEWYEAR !!!!
                           Mia

Momma Mia,
        Yes I do agree 100% your post did put a  smile on my face, 50 year well God bless your Parents. Keep smileing my friend.

Skipper,

12. arb profile image77
      arbposted 13 years ago

Only in having four wives can we discover that more is not always better. Can you imagine four all saying "we need to talk"!

arb,
        Good point, that would be a fate worse then death.

Skipper

13. profile image51

You know Jesus wasn't a Christian; and nobody knows for sure as to how many wives did Jesus have as Bible only gives Jesus' life of three years only. Jesus was from the line of David; who I think had ten wives.

Jesus wasn't married! And... he said one WIFE for those on Earth! So why does Jesus' own word differ so greatly from the Qu'ran? Maybe the Qu'ran wasn't actually the word of God... but merely the word of an illiterate man trying to get his way on Earth! Maybe, since there were no miracles in Muhammad as with the other Holy Prophets, then just maybe his whole ordeal was a farce--- a made up lie! Hmmm... God doesn't lie nor does he change... so why does the Qu'ran say that 4 wives are allowed... yet Jesus said one man for one wife and one wife for one man!  Think about it!

Parr,
        Wake up Jesus did not marry. You can try and discredit the Bible but better and more learned have tried NO ONE HAS PROVED THE BIBLE WRONG YET.

Yes Parr Jesus Christ was a Jew, Christians follow the word and teachings of Jesus CHRIST ( CHRIST=IANS = Christians ) so simple Parr.

I agree with Libby, the Quran is almost the EXACT opposit to the Bible, so now Parr you are trying to tell the world, the Angel Gabrial lied, to Mohammed. That God  also LIED  in the Quran,( different to Bible) Mohammed could not do even one Miracle, Mohammed could not check what his scribes wrote in the Quran were realy  Mohammeds words, Mohammed could not read, so anything could have been written and Mohammed just agreed that ,  it is what he said. Even Moses was visited by God ( the Burning Bush) he was a true prophet of God.

Mohmmed only got visited by ( by a so called angel, no one else ever saw Mohammeds angel)  some angel ( not Gabrial) who told Mohammed lies, Mohammed to me was was NOT a prophet of God, because God NEVER VISITED Mohammed. ( even Mohammeds wife was with Mohammed when he recieved one visit , from Mohammeds Angel, his wife NEVER saw the Angel, then the Angel only left after Mohammeds wife showed her private parts ) and it took Mohammed's wife many hours to calm Mohammed down, that was not Gabrial.

You are right Libby God never Visited Mohammed because God ( Jesus) only alows one wife.

So lets  look at Mohammed he wanted many wives ( Allah let him have his way) then Mohammed said the rest can only have up to 4 wives. So Mohammed ( with Allahs blessing ) did  have MANY wives, but Muslims can only have up to 4 wives. Even Mohammed dishonored his male followers, it was a case of do as I say, not do as I do. It is a case of WHATEVER Mohammed wants Allah ( alows with his belissing)  so how much POWER has Mohammed realy got, it appears whatever Mohammed wants Allah ( gives his Blessing) so is Mohammed all powerfull too?

I am verry Glad Allah is NOT my God.
        I am very  glad Mohammed is not my Prophert.
        I do not belive Mohammed was ever a prophet.
        Jesus Christ DID die on the cross, no one came down alive.
        Jesus Christ is God the son ( you will never understand parr) and NEVER a Prophet.
        Jesus was 600 years before and never met ( Mohammed or Allah)
        Mohammed only tried to make Jesus a part of the Quran so trying to cover every Religion in one Book.

I still want to  know why Muslims are so desprete to try and prove the Bible wrong.
        They want to try and prove Jesus did not die on the Cross, and Allah saved him.
        Now if Muslims cannot PROVE Jesus did not die on the cross, then the Quran is flawed and in parts untrue.

Merry Christmas Libby.

skipper,

14. profile image49
      crusader112posted 13 years ago

Ahmad,

The Quran lets Muslim men only have up to 4 wives, under very strict conditions. Unless your name was Mohammed because his God ( Allah let Mohammed have as many wives as Mohammed wanted) but any other Muslim can only have 4 wives.

Is this why so many Muslim men are called 'Mohammed' they want more wives. After all if it is ok  for Mohammed to have more that 4 wives, why can't the rest of Muslim have the same rules as Mohammed.

It is a case of 'DO AS I SAY, NOT DO AS I DO". So Allah will let Mohammed do as he pleases, but stops other Muslin men from haveing the same rules.So as Allah lets Mohammed do as Mohammed wants with no restrictions, is Mohammed equal to Allah, after all Mohammed gets everything he wants, Allah lets it happen.

Therefore Mohammed can do as he pleases and just foget the rules in the Quran, as Allah will give Mohammed 'Special permission') Therefour Mohammed must be equal to Allah...............

crusader 112

15. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

In case 3 of the wives commit adultery and get stoned to death.

16. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...they wouldn't if they had a 'whole lotta rosie'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8iKgIOw … re=related

1. profile image49
        crusader112posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yep  I hear you................

17. profile image51

You know Jesus wasn't a Christian; and nobody knows for sure as to how many wives Jesus had as Bible only gives Jesus' life of three years only. Jesus was from the line of David; who I think had ten wives.

There are people in Kashmir who say they are from the progeny of Jesus; so Jesus did marry.

1. profile image49

Jesus never went to Kashmir this is pure rubish, from your sect, it never happened, no Christian belives this and no true Muslim belives it either, only your sect , and mainstream Islam says you are also wrong. Guess you cannot convince any true belivers Parr.
        Please Parr do not think, what Jesus did as Jesus DIED on the cross, never was saved by Islam and never went to India, ok.

Merry Christmas to you Parr.

Just a quick thought who was Jesus married to in Kashmir? ( tell me more about this myth) and Jesus left progeny this myth gets more like a tall fairy story, Jesus married in india, and no one has heard of this before, really parr your stories get better all the time............................

1. profile image51

The Jesus bloodline hypothesis which held that the historical Jesus had married Mary Magdalene and fathered a child with her was brought to the attention of the general public in the 20th century by Donovan Joyce in his 1973 book The Jesus Scroll.[2] In his 1977 book Jesus died in Kashmir: Jesus, Moses and the ten lost tribes of Israel, Andreas Faber-Kaiser explored the legend that Jesus met, married and had several children with a Kashmiri woman. The author also interviewed the late Basharat Saleem who claimed to be a Kashmiri descendant of Jesus.[3] Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln developed and popularized the hypothesis that a bloodline from Jesus and Mary Magdalene eventually became the Merovingian dynasty in their 1982 controversial non-fiction book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail,[4] in which they asserted:

“ The symbolic significance of Jesus is that he is God exposed to the spectrum of human experience - exposed to the first-hand knowledge of what being a man entails. But could God, incarnate as Jesus, truly claim to be a man, to encompass the spectrum of human experience, without coming to know two of the most basic, most elemental facets of the human condition? Could God claim to know the totality of human existence without confronting two such essential aspects of humanity as sexuality and paternity? We do not think so. In fact, we do not think the Incarnation truly symbolises what it is intended to symbolise unless Jesus were married and sired children. The Jesus of the Gospels, and of established Christianity, is ultimately incomplete - a God whose incarnation as man is only partial. The Jesus who emerged from our research enjoys, in our opinion, a much more valid claim to what Christianity would have him be.[4] ”

In her 1992 book Jesus and the Riddle of the Dead Sea Scrolls: Unlocking the Secrets of His Life Story, Barbara Thiering also developed a Jesus and Mary Magdalene bloodline hypothesis, basing her historical conclusions on her application of the so-called Pesher technique to the New Testament.[5][6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_bloodline

This is all hearsay! Jesus never married! He said ONE WIFE FOR ONE HUSBAND!

There is zero evidence that Jesus had a wife, nor ever married! There are no children! If this were the case, we'd have people coming forth today screaming they are of Jesus' bloodline!

Jesus came with ONE purpsose! To say he had a wife gives credit to the rest of your nonsense! Of course, it's all from the sect you belong to!

All theories of Jesus having a wife are Hypothetical at best!

2. profile image49

Parr,
            This has never been accepted by any Christian as it is NOT the word of God so therefore again is invalid. Sorry try again.

18. profile image49
      crusader112posted 13 years ago

Agree Libby,

Now Parr tells up there are offspring in India from Jesus and his wife.

Yes Jesus said one man one woman. But that was not good enough for Mohammed so Mohammed had ( with Allah's Blessing)as many wives as Mohammed wanted, but then said  to  Islamic men you  can only have up to  4 wives under strict condition's, ( again with Allah's Blessing) It appears Allah lets Mohammed do as he pleases, Allah gave Mohammed great God like power, with Allah's blessing.

I do agree with your post Parr as you state 'FICTION' I do belive you have never under stood the Holy Bible because you try to use unsported books of FICTION from men,not from the OT or NT or Quran therfore not the word of any God  please try to use the word of God to enlighten you, to understand FACT from Fiction.

Parr please explain how Allah gave Mohammed his total blessing to do as Mohammed pleased?

Muhammad gave Muhammad special blessings to do as he pleased! God or Allah had nothing to do with it! If you have ever read the Qu'ran... in many places where it mentions Allah.. it also says "and his prophet Muhammad". A very clear cut sign who was actually the author of this nonsense! If you want someone to make you high above man.. you simply claim you are almost equal to God, then you have people falling at your feet, armies at your disposal, and young toddler girls marrying you! Sad! Very sad!

1. profile image49

Libby,

A verry well written post. Could not have said that any better. I do agree it is verry sad. Yes I do not dispute Mohammed did have 'visions' ( that Mohammed claimed without any proof ) were from a angel and this was written down by men that could write, but Mohammed never knew what was written down as Mohammed could not read.

It appears Mohammed had a God complex, and people belived that so Mohammed did what ever he pleased with or without Allahs blessing.

Libby I think you have 'nit the nail on the head' good on you,well done.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Libby. I am old fasioned and not politicaly correct.

Thank you Crusader. Merry Christmas to you and your family too. God bless.

1. Fenixfan profile image76
              Fenixfanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First off, why would you want four wives? Do any of you realize how expensive hair care products and make up is? Kidding of course but on a serious note, why would or how could anyone share the one they loved most, especially in bed, with anyone else? Clearly Muhammad had a Tiger Woods problem. Needs to make a trip to mississippi. We can fix that. I would settle for one wife easily. Just one person to share everything with, except ourselves with other people. Blonde haired, hazel eyed, intelligent, beautiful woman. Why would anyone require more than that.

Thanks to hubpages team for the reinstatement of my account and allowing me to respond to barrage of criticism.

crusader112 aka skipper112,

You asked above why Prophet married so many women when Quran allows only 4? So read the text below or watch this 2 minutes clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLThEoFPDnM

“If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two or three or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them, then only one” (Quran 4:3)

After the revealation of the above verse, Prophet ordered the persons who were having more than four wives to keep four only and release the others. e.g. Nawful Bin Mo'awiah Al Dulaimi said:

I embraced Islam and was having five wives but the Prophet told me: "Choose four of them and release the other" therefore, I released the oldest of them as she was sterile since sixty years. Similarly companion Ghailan embraced Islam and was having ten wives, so the Prophet told him "Choose four of them only".

---> The question is why then the prophet Muhammad (PBUH) didnt divorce his wives beyond the limit of 4?
        ---> Did the prophet (PBUH) selfishly exempt himself from rules imposed on others??
        ---> Did not the prophet break the commandment of God???

NOTE: Some people may see keeping the 12 wives as a privilege to the Prophet. However, with privileges did come restrictions as well.  It should be noted that the special exception to the prophet concerning the maximum number of wives also includes special restrictions on him and his wives from privileges available to all others. e.g:

Qiyam Al Layl (prayers at two third of the night) are not compulsory on Muslims, however they were compulsory on the Prophet. Reference (Quran 17:79)

1) Restriction on prophet Muhammad: God revealed a verse instructing that the prophet was not allowed to exchange any of his wives after that or to marry anyone more than those who were already with him even if he is attracted to other women.

“(O Muhammad) It is not allowed thee to take (other) women afterwards nor that thou should change them for other wives even though their beauty pleased thee, save those whom thy right hand possesseth. And Allah is Watcher over all things.” (Quran 33:52)

2) Restriction on prophet’s wives: God clearly instructed in the same chapter of the Quran that the prophet’s wives are not allowed to re-marry after him. Therefore, if prophet were to divorce his wives beyond the maximum of four, it would have done them injustice and no one else could re-marry them, and they would be left alone until their deaths.

“….And it is not for you to cause annoyance to the messenger of Allah, nor that ye should ever marry his wives after him. Lo! that in Allah's sight would be an enormity.” (Quran 33:53)

Here one may ask: why the prophet’s wives were not allowed to re-marry after him? This is merely because they were called in the Quran as "Ummahat-ul-Mo'mayneen" or “mothers of the believers”.

“The Prophet is closer to the believers than their selves, and his wives are (as) their mothers….” (Quran 33:6)

Therefore, it was totally unacceptable and illegal for anyone to re-marry prophet’s wives after him.

19. kazemaru2 profile image59
      kazemaru2posted 13 years ago

It is essential in agrarian cultures to produce more descendants. However modern culture ceases to have this need.So the 4 wives rule must be a way to test a man's financial standing.

1. profile image51

There is no compulsion on marrying four wives; it is only a permission if the need be.

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. profile image49

agree Parr but Allah had no such rule for Mohammed, Allah gave his blessing to whatever Mohammed wanted.

1. profile image51

Yes , Muhammad was a blessed man.

1. profile image49

so you agree Mohammed could do as Mohammed pleased and Allah just gives his blessing, Mohammed can have as many wives as he likes, but muslims can only have up to four with special conditions, no conditions for Mhammed .  So Mohammed says to muslims 'DO AS I SAY NOT DO AS I DO' Mohammed can do anything he likes and Allah sends his blessings.

Sounds like Mohammed had it made Allah will bless anything Mohamed does.

2. libby101a profile image59

No Paar--I think Muhammad used his rank with the people to do as he pleased! And you said there was no record of his life... did he even exist?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)