It's Unfair of HubPages: Pls Help

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Kdban101 profile image59
    Kdban101posted 13 years ago

I have many good recipes and want to share. However as you all might know recipes almost always get flagged as duplicate, mere mortals like us can't everybody invent recipes for heaven's sake. I can't rewrite directions much for two reasons -
    1)It will confuse the readers
    2)Recipes anyways consist of few lines and so it does help much to rewrite.
    However, some Hubbers like De'cor Amore is doing quite well by publishing recipes. Note that I am not accusing her of plagiarism, but I found almost all her recipes having exact duplicate copies on google, most published before her hubs.
    Let's be frank, recipes pay well, so if I go ahead and say publish 100 recipes, will hubpages ban me. ( please also consider Decor's example).
    Waiting for your answers

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For one thing, you don't know if her recipes are also being flagged as duplicate. It's tacky bringing up another hubbers name when you don't know the details.

I have a recipe hub with recipes I got from other places that is flagged as duplicate because someone posted it in its entirety on a forum.  I have another one where I got the recipes out of books and it has not been flagged.

I write a lot of my own text to precede the recipes and rewrote the instructions in my own words. I bet if you have more of your own writing in it the duplicate flag will disappear, until someone copies it smile.

Kdban101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i don't know if hubpages flagged some of her recipes or not but i clarified pretty clearly that i am not accusing her. while writing about recipes it is common that she will face this problem.

2. libby101a profile image60
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Hi Kdban! I'm sure you understand that if those same recipes are already on the internet, you are not going to make much money with them! Usually, people want to publish original recipes, thus it gives something new to the world wide web--then you make money! Just think about this: If you publish a recipe that is already on the internet dozens of times, if not more, then you would never rank high enough to make a dime from them! So why bother with doing that? If you make your own recipes, new and original, you can make quite a bit!

3. cre8tive profile image83
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

I've published a few recipies here on Hubpages and have never had any trouble with them being flagged as duplicate ~ mind you that's probably because they are my own recipes ~ as in I created them.

They all have elements from other recipies for example banana bread is always going to contain bananas (one would hope) but the combination of other ingredients and the methods used should be your own.

Also recipes don't just have to be a few lines long, you can include information about how the recipe can about, explanations about the different types of ingredients etc.

Libby101a is right, you won't rank well with a recipe that's already plastered over the internet, so if you want to write recipes they really should have your own stamp on them.

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I'm frankly shocked that any hubber who wants their work to be taken seriously would take recipes from the net and re-publish them in their entirety.

I've got a few recipes but they either came from books and I re-worded them or they were my own anyway.

I wouldn't dream of taking any from the net without rewording it completely, although it's generally accepted that the list of ingredients can't be changed.

Kdban101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i never said i want to copy recipes from other site, if that was my intention i would have already started doing it. i wanted to know how to avoid duplicacy filter even if i write my own recipes( of well known preparations of course).
      LOLz, it is difficult to reword mix this and pour that etc.

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I wasn't referring to you as you obviously want to avoid having any duplicate content.
        If you take a recipe from a book you can easily reword the method. It might say  "stir continuously until it is boiling", and you could say, keep stirring until it boils" that is re-worded while saying the same.
        Also as I think it was UW pointed out, you can add your own own intro or ending to the hub which will dilute any duplicated words anyway.

5. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I actually was interested about how to write recipes without making it seem like the same one out there a dozen times already.

I have a website for a friend who makes maple syrup in Vermont. So I wanted to make a page of recipes for maple syrup.

But since a recipe is almost always the same, like how to make maple syrup candies, I don't know how to make it different?

I suppose with enough thinking you can make an original sounding one, but the basics will always be the same.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's why you can't copyright the ingredients but you can copyright the instructions.

6. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

This is why, after the Hubalicious contest, I launched foodicle.com.
    A few of mine had been instantly copied...

7. profile image0
    ssaulposted 13 years ago

i always do my own recipes, i publish about recipes in a day in my own words the best way i know how! you can check out my hubs and see!

8. Kdban101 profile image59
    Kdban101posted 13 years ago

@ssaul - you have a very interesting combination of topics

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)