What's Wrong With America Today

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 13 years ago

I''m writing a hub about Why America is Getting Dumber.  What are some things that are wrong with people in America?  What are some things wrong now that weren't wrong 10+ years ago?  If anyone has links to other articles or statistics, that would be cool as well.

1. Anesidora profile image60
      Anesidoraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are people dumber than they were 10 years ago?

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peole have always been the same dumb and smart - it is the information that we use that makes us stupid or informed.  If the info is bad we have a mix of good stuff and nonsense and it is hard to decide which is which in this disinformation age.

1. Nick Malizia profile image60
          Nick Maliziaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good stuff! More people need to acknowledge this.

2. TomC35 profile image60
      TomC35posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are certainly some bad things going on in the nation currently, but that is always the case.  There are always positive things as well.  Each generation thinks the one after it is less intelligent and that the world is going to pot.  They also think "today's music" sucks.  When you start thinking like this, it means you are getting old.

3. Man of Honour profile image61
      Man of Honourposted 13 years agoin reply to this

George Bush and his reforms If you wanna see what I have to say about Georghe W. Bush's new book decision points view my blog at

http://hubpages.com/hub/texasbush?done

2. Tammy L profile image67
    Tammy Lposted 13 years ago

I used to always blame it on the drugs in the 60s. LOL

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Global warming smile

4. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Our 'masters' are feeding us misinformation, promoting division, and scaring everyone to death by aggravating terrorist activity through actions abroad - all to get you to be a hard working, uncomplaining, drone of a tv sucking, ignorant commodity.

Pays big-time for them - education is a big part of the road to freedom, they can't stop it so they castrate it. Dumb sheeple think what they are told by the media.

1. Nick Malizia profile image60
      Nick Maliziaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ultimately it will form a modern day Literati.

5. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Work ethics were higher 10 yrs ago.

Morals were respected more.

6. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

People are more dependent than ever on the government to think for them and do for them.
    Whatever happened to pride in accomplishing something on your own without all rules, regulation, government aid and grants?
    Just imagine all the things that have been invented and advanced in the past, trying to get past the politicaly correct and the nanny state.  Most would never happen.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have already written too many hubs on this topic. lol lol

8. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Well...

Parents can't parent
    Schools can't teach
    Two-Income families means parents aren't raising their children
    Entertainment is no longer entertainment - it's reality
    Morals aren't morals - they're arguments
    Respect isn't respected - the concept of respect is a joke

What can America expect when Americans refuse to think for themselves?  I say - Think for yourself or be led to the slaughter.

9. jtyler profile image59
    jtylerposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the replies.  A few of these things got me thinking.  If anyone else wants to leave a comment, feel free to do so.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

My impression is that all of this electronic gadgetry has made us lazy. Where once we had to do research in encyclopedias and read real books, now everything is available not only online, but through our phones. We carry computers with us at all times.
    We can click a button and voila -- someone else has done the research for us, and we get the answer.
    Where is the incentive to think for ourselves?

I don't want to sound anti-technology, but I really feel that this is a MAJOR contributor to the dumbing-down of America. Instant gratification + decreased analytical skills. Bad combo.

I won't even get into the current anti-intellectual blather being spouted by the tea party. Arrrgggghhh!

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"We can click a button and voila -- someone else has done the research for us, and we get the answer."

You ever wonder if they are lying?

11. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

People talk about the good old days, the golden days when everything was perfect and rainbows and lollipops. Politicians were noble, and children respected their elders. I think all of that is a load of old tosh! It's BS, plain and simple. There have always been problems. There have always been acts of random violence, child abuse both physical and sexual. There has always been greed and corruption. If I had a choice I would say right in the time I live in, sure at times it is hard but I somehow think that I probably wouldn't stand a chance in past era's. Women didn't always have the rights and abilities I have now. I wouldn't have always been able to send my kids to school unless I was royalty rich. Now I know that my kids will have the chance to learn a few things, with the net they can learn about a wide range without having to go to school even. Basically, people whinge on about how everything was brilliant back when and how crap it all is now. It's not crap tho, life is amazing! Every day I marvel at the opportunities around and feel disgusted by the fear mongering. Whats wrong with America? The same thing with any large social construct, the impossibility of perfection coupled with blindness to this impossibility. America is just the biggest most over bloated social construct at the moment. The bubble will likely pop, and it will suck, and life will go on, and another social construct will bloat to popping point and so it cycles. Normal people will have to work hard, always have and always will I expect. It's just the nature of the work that changes, not the fact of having to do it, and not the fact that it sucks.

12. couturepopcafe profile image61
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

Congress making bad laws, infiltraters (in-fill-traitors) using the system, bad - really really bad food poisoning us.  If you took just a drop of RAID and put it into a glass of water, would you drink it?  Likely not but this is a small amount compared to the pesticides, fungicides, insecticides, hormones, steroids, antibiotics, and molecularly altered substances called food which too many people are eating as though nothing were wrong.  Wake up America.  Boycott this stuff.  Buy organic, whole, and raw even if it costs more and you have to eat less.  You and your kids will be thinner, smarter, pain free, and alert.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)