Bit Freaked Out

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I was doing some hub hopping, thinking I'll weed out some of the you know what, reading the odd one, and then all of a sudden one of my own hubs popped up.

For a moment I thought what the.. heck is this, and then with a sinking heart I wondered what on earth a hub hopper would make of it.

I skipped it pretty quickly without marking it up.  It was a fairly horrible experience.  As though my third eye were watching me.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been waiting for that to happen to me. So far, so good. smile

2. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always listen to my third eye if I think something needs editing!

3. profile image0
      Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Personally I find it hard to look at or listen to anything I've done myself...it's just a weird experience. I don't like reading my own stuff once it's finished, listening to myself sing, watching myself on a video, or listening to myself on a recording. I think a lot of people are like that.

I also find that outsiders usually have a different take on what we do than we do ourselves. Someone might learn something a little different through something I've done than what I had  in mind when I wrote it, recorded it, or whatever. We speak to people in different ways without even realizing it, unless they tell us.

2. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

if it was so bad, why not just delete it before another hub hopper comes down the road and flags it?  or was it just not your best work?  cheer up - spring will come I'll look at it if you just tell me which one of yours it is

Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well... I'm not saying it was bad.  Oh no.  And definitely not sub standard.  No way.

More of a shock really - because I was into reading other people's stuff - having finished my effort (and glad to see the back of it), I was relaxed and feeling goood.

Then all of a sudden I am confronted with my own work when I least expected it.

Does that make sense?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you referring to the chance given you to rate your own hubs up?  It would not count at any rate.  Must be a glitch as I have never found mine on the hopper.

Yes I am referring to that.  As far as I could see I could have rated or flagged it.

Unless of course the copiers are so far ahead of the game that they got theirs in as soon as I hit the Publish button.

Rating your own hubs does not count, as I understand it.

2. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark, Mark, Mark.

You are so hard on yourself. Like seeing yourself in a mirror the first time. You're a good writer and fun in the forums. I had the same thing happen, and I kinda wondered for a minute, then laughed and skipped it.

People find what they need, and the right people will find the hubs your write that they need. It's all good.

wink

Thanks Daniel,

Putting 'funny' stuff out there is sometimes like going out on a limb.  Does it work?  Is it actually funny?  Very difficult sometimes to tell.  So the publishing of a hub, for me, is a slightly nerve wracking time.

I never do enough work, or rewriting, but reach a point where enough is enough, or maybe its teatime - and then press the button.

But don't get me wrong.  I am absolutely loving this.  Apart from the income side of things - but that may come.

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

aren't the hubs in the hopper chosen randomly? so serendipitously Mark found his own hub in the hopper - should he be freaked? would I be? oh, probably.  Or I would think "what? AM I doing hopping when I could be writing?"  in fact, what AM I DOING in the, the . . .

I suppose I don't understand what there is to be "freaked" about.  But then, nothing much freaks me out anyway!

1. KristenGrace profile image61
        KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I saw one of my own hubs while hopping before... Didn't really freak me out and it was interesting to see what it would look like to another "hopper..."

4. rotl profile image60
    rotlposted 13 years ago

I can see how that could be a bit weird. It's like even the best actors say they cringe when they see themselves on screen. Something about seeing your work as others see it.

You should have flagged yourself! wink

yeah, that's what I'm talking about rotl.  Bit strange.  Like finding an old diary or something.  Or maybe one of those 'songs' you wrote many years ago.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

OK guys, perhaps freaked out was a bit over the top.

Maybe slightly perturbed.

There's a few reasons for this.

1. I had gone slightly overboard with the keywords in the title and it was surprise when they appeared.

2. Because the adsense doesn't show the opening paragraph didn't feel like my hub.  I balance the lines with the advert so it looks OK (to me), and without the balance it looked a bit yuck.

3.  Although I obviously check what I am writing before publishing (no really) - it was just a surprise to be presented with my hub, almost by someone else, saying "look at this crap".

Anyway, I have wasted far too much of your forum time with this.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL @ "wasting forum time."  That's an oxymoron.  But, hey, be glad you hopped to yourself. I've never done that. It must be a good luck sign that something cool is coming your way.

Or else it could mean that a huge chasm is going to open up under your desk and swallow you into the bowels of the earth, where it will not be your third eye watching, but the earth's third eye passing you through. Or something.

Just saying.

Thanks Shades, it could be karma I suppose.  All a bit spooky really.  Partly comes from getting into character when writing - what if it really were true?

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Getting into character when writing is the joy in writing. As far as spooky, could be good as long as you are still alive and possessed of all your appendages at the other side of the adventure. big_smile

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I bet you find it hard to take a compliment as well smile

Enjoy the moment,gosh my last hub hoppin event was not nearly as exciting.smile

I find the compliment thing really hard.  I want everyone to love me and so on, but as soon as they say it... I have to go off for a while.

6. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

Okay Mark, calm down there.

I want you to go back to your account now, and click on any published hub.

It's okay! Calm down it's okay, we're all here with you, you'll be alright.

Now, open your eyes and look directly at your published hub. Okay, good. Open the other eye now. That's it, there ya go.

It's nice right? See your name there, Mark Ewbie, that's you! You did that! Read it slowly now, it's okay, right? No horrificly embarassing spelling errors, paragraph breaks in the right place, it's all good, see?

What's that? Oh just scroll up and hit the edit button and fix that one up real quick. There ya go. All better.

But the flow is good, isn't it? You're taking your readers on a trip, a pleasant diversion from the hum-drum humility of their own lives and into your's? And it's funny? You think it's funny? It's funny. You're funny, see?

Mark Ewbie, comedic writer on the topics of life. Mark Ewbie, published internet writer.

Darn. Now you got me freaked out. Hmmm, I'ma go stare at my hubs.

Thats brilliant Pandora.  I'm going to copy it and put it on Squidoo.

Not really (in case anyone thinks I mean it).

I need to go and check for that error you mentioned...

edit:  One more thing Pandora.  With writing like wot you wrote up there above, why don't you do more hubs?

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Mark, that's something coming from you.

But the truth is that my spark is entirely dependent on the spark of others. I have no originality whatsoever.

Plus I'm just trying to make money. I do actually have some (lots) of plans for some stuff on this account, and maybe sometime in the new year I'll get something done here. Wow, four somes in one sentence. Awesome.

See yeah, I'm not that funny.

But you definitely are, and I think your hubs are really good stuff. I'm certain if I encountered one in the hopper I'd rate it up, funny and awesome.

Dunno how you guys do it, I'd be staring at a blank computer screen all day long if I tried to be funny.

7. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

What's more freakish is to find something you wrote years back and not realize that it is yours.. So there you are, probably thinking, '"Wow, I can really appreciate what this dude is saying!" and then it hits you - you wrote it.

I have had that happen to me several times. I have even laughed out loud at my own stuff smile

Similarly embarrassing is  when I am trying to figure out some dumb techy thing and Google  finds the answer in my own article on my own site. Duh!!

8. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Sure, most of us are our own worse critics.  But then sometimes I read something I wrote in the past and say "wow, I don't remember writing this, it's actually pretty good."  It's almost as if I am reading something someone else wrote. 

But this is rare, sadly!

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can make it happen more frequently by going farther back in time and writing more.

You do have to observe the Temporal Writing Act of 2415, of course. No telling people about stuff they shouldn't know about yet. You are bound by that even if it is in your "Nominal or Apparent Future". Most reputable Time Machine vendors make you aware of that act as well as the more obvious things like "don't kill anyone".

Amusingly, I won't get in trouble for this because it will be seen as fictional satire, and thus exempt.  I so wish I could tell you more, of course,

Ha!  Any experienced time traveler knows that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)