why people tend to have faith?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

definition
    belief- an opinion or conviction that may be wrong
    faith-belief that is not based on proof
    you may believe that your car won't explode based on probabilities
    but if you believe it as an absolute truth not basing on any premises then it will be faith the one i asked above.

so why people have faith in religions and god(Christianity or Islam or what ever)
    why people are willing to die for these ideas?
    why are they not thinking rationally?
    can anyone do something about?
    is there any alternative to religions?

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The alternative to religion is no religion. There is nothing wrong with leaving the open questions open. In fact it is healthy because it encourages an enquiring mind.

1. profile image52
        paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a weird alternative.

My be what you are saying as open; in fact is closed and would deteriorate a healthy mind.

1. simeonvisser profile image68
          simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Leaving a question open or unanswered is closed minded? Is that really what you're saying?

2. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you ever considered that your definition of faith may not necessarily be that of another?

So when you judge the faithful as  false you also judge yourself as being false?

Seek after truth that you judge not

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kess:

"Have you ever considered that your definition of faith may not necessarily be that of another?"
        How can one's religious "faith" differ from the religious definition? Pls explain that.
        There are 2 connotations of the word "faith" i.e.
        1. religious faith is based 100% on "hope."
        2. faith based 100% on empirical proofs: I have faith that on flat, solid ground, the earth will meet my every step.

Qwark

1. kess profile image59

Since Truth cannot be forced upon anyone, One will accept a concept as true or he will not.

The rules by which he accept and rejects Truth is very personal but generally, it is based on what is beneficial to their chosen identity at the moment.

Now whatsoever a man accepts as truth, remains as truth to him even if its is him alone.

And it is this Truth which is the faith of individuals.
          All has some level of faith because all has some truth.

So your knowledge of Truth is the basis of your faith.

Most think that it is because of evidence they accept a thing as Truth or they believe.... but It is not so!

What a man believes or accept as Truth, he then justifies.

Once a man establishes something as Truth within himself, he is now able to find much evidence by which to justify his truth.
          He now substitute the evidence which is his proof of Truth as the Truth itself.

And he will expectedly disregard any evidence to the contrary, in fact he will not even consider it for a moment. Because to do so will challenge his identity.

When this occur, there is now the need to justify your Truth which is merely your evidence before another because his identity is at stake.

The one who Know Truth as Truth need not justify himself before none, therefore will or will not provide evidence as he alone sees fit.

Because he knows he will stand or fall based on His Truth (faith) alone ...and no other.

So he justifies himself only by himself.

While those whose truth is merely evidence, goes about comparing himself among others so as to accepting and rejecting as they see fit.

Truth is Single, but with many sides but ultimately only two, these sides are the evidence/proof of its existences, but not Truth itself.

Now a man may Hope with or without Truth.

The one who hopes without truth again hangs unto merely evidence, again which needs to be justified before others.
          Christian struggle with this a lot.

The one who hopes with truth, can speak with much authority, and need not justify himself with evidence at all, though he may.

So seek not after the evidence but the Truth itself.
          Cause when you believe because if Truth you know what you believe and you are absolutely correct, with or without evidence.

1. Jerami profile image59
            Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense.

2. qwark profile image59

Kess:
            You wrote alot about nothing. Why?
            "Truth" has to do with "fact." Truth is the real state of things. Evidently you don't realize that.
            None of what you wrote about, has anything to do with "truth" other than it all being silly, trite, religious prattle.
            I read your words with understanding and have to consider you to be just another non sensical, easily led, misinformed, fundie follower.
            I'm just tellin' it as i see it.
            Qwark   smile:

It sounded quite clear to me.
                 At what part did you loose your understanding?   
                 Maybe I can help.

2. kess profile image59

My dear Qwark,

I wrote to you....
              but not for you......

You see it is because there are those who belong to light and they will see.

And there are those who will not see again because there is no light in them.

You therefore can only be who you are.....and your action determined by the way you think will be your judge.

1. qwark profile image59

Kess
                More trite prattle.
                "Truth" is a mystery to you.
                I hope that one day, after much education, thought and enlightenment, you will experience an epiphany that will shine thru in bewildering light and make "truth" a guiding beacon in your attempts to understand your evolving life.
                Happy holidays.
                Qwark   smile:

2. arb profile image77
          arbposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Conversely, you harbor a 100% hope that there is no God. Which of our hopes proves worthy of our pre death determinations remains to be seen, or never.

4. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because faith is taught. Just like we learn how to read and write in school. In religion they teach faith in a higher power. It is irrational to be willing to die for something you have faith in for sure. But those who have faith in what they are taught won't see it as irrational if that is what they are taught. It is perfectly logical to them.

It is rare anyone can do anything  about a persons faith. It is experience that usually shatters faith if it has been taught erroneously.

How do you mean alternative to religion? People function with and without it quite well.

2. pilesnoway profile image61
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

'cause faith is a virtue. I think it is innate to mankind

faith in God is different in faith in Religion. Religion is just there to strengthen your faith in God to give you direction. At the end, it is still you and your own faith to your God who will prevail. And that you will carry to until the judgement comes.

Of course people do not want for others to mess with their faith that is why they are willing to die for it. But I think the best way for holding on to a particular belief not to cause war is by opening our minds that everyone is different in their way of thinking--and that includes their faith and beliefs. Understanding and Respecting others is the key.

1. profile image0
      jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

nobody understand or try to understand nor can understand others belief(faith). faith is not rational. problems is not that people are willing to die but they are willing to hurt and kill others for the faith.

1. pilesnoway profile image61
        pilesnowayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a harsh reality. Because people just can't understand. They fail to be rational. It has become the missing link. The link that will suppose to end the wars on religion. But then again,that's how they see it. And they don't want others to mess with their beliefs.

This has been the most controversial topic on Earth! It has always been.

3. profile image57
    exorterposted 13 years ago

every one has faith in some one or something, if nothing but themselves. but I hear that faith is irrational, so someone with only faith in themselves must be irrational also, according to their words

Here   Here !!1     or    YOU  Betcha !

4. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

“why people tend to have faith?”

Because they have figured out that life sucks, and they just can’t handle that fact.

Plus, the probability that they are wrong is not 100%. There is a chance.

1. profile image57
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have faith, I have a good life, and there is a 0% chance I am wrong, anyone who takes the time to get to know God, knows God

1. profile image0

the moment you feel you can never be wrong that is when you stop learning

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

The proper use of faith is in oneself and others around that individual.

Faith in religion or a god is misplaced and shows that people lack knowledge and wisdom with regards to their own life.

1. profile image57

It takes someone who has never met God to speak those words, someday you will meet HIM

6. profile image0
    markbennisposted 13 years ago

Don’t you sad non believers ever have a day that you ever wake up and feel your life is more important then investing your time in incriminating or trying to devalue the name of God!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What god? lol

If you're making reference to the "god" of the bible or any other religious book, then I suggest you go do some valuable research on the topic.

There is no god and to speak of one in existence is irrational and delusional.

1. profile image57

SOME DAY YOU WILL WAKE UP,
        and your words will come back to you

You're too funny! lol

But, you're welcome to continue thinking that way. tongue

1. profile image57

you bet I will,

No doubt irrationality is something puts enjoyment into life. Thus, keeping wasn't in doubt. lol

1. profile image57

why people tend to have faith?”

Because they have figured out that life sucks, and they just can’t handle that fact.

No doubt irrationality is something puts enjoyment into life. Thus, keeping wasn't in doubt. lol

all this is said by the non-believers, just look back up on this page,
                sounds like non believers can't make up their minds
                we need to pray that they can at least make up their minds

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cags,

I was going to put a pic of a lightning bolt above your profile pic, but for some reason my computer froze. I guess HE still likes you.lol

lol lol lol lol lol

That's too funny! No one likes me and I'm cool with that. tongue

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
            paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, lots of people like you. And your forum count is starting to get close…

Can you be enticed to tack on another 10K? smile

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

no markbennis as long as there are people who are willing to kill others for their faith it a non believers job to educate

7. profile image0
    markbennisposted 13 years ago

You speak of what God!!?  But you forget your place while you sit in front of your warm surroundings while you dare breathe your delusional sigh in his name. 

When was the last time you thought in a war for the same freedoms that those that have bravely thought and died for in the greatness and freedom in the name of God!

You do your best to destroy the name of God but I don’t see you bravely or justly in your so called belief, attack the very establishments that have built them.  Show me proof you have tried to attack the very fabric of the Elites you so disagree with?  How about Rome and the Catholic Church?  How about the Freemasons or the Illuminati or Islam etc….

If you so called atheists are so bold show us proof you can stand up to those that are in power and not your squirmy little belittlements of God!

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

The religionist forums are trembling...

9. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

People tend to have faith in various forms of ideology for different reasons. For me it is simply a truth which when presented to my spirit sets my heart on fire, and speaks peace and understanding to the mind on a heightened level.
    When I see another person who otherwise would posess little or average talent for public speach say that he knows that Jesus is the Christ, the very words penetrate me to the core and with an assurity I have light, knowledge, and imortality presented before me and I could never deny the things which take place in those moments.

10. arb profile image77
    arbposted 13 years ago

Pennyofheaven, Faith is not taught - religion is taught. Faith is the evidence of things unseen. Since we are absent all the facts, we work with what we have. Both belivers and non belivers live by faith. One in the faith that God exist and the other in the faith that He does not. Until we know absolutely, we all live by faith. It is the object of our faith that differs.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Faith is also the precursor to delusion. smile

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Without faith, there is no hope, without hope, we might as well all jump off a cliff....or trust to mad scientists who veiw the rest of us as guinea pigs. Try denying that pearl Beelzedupe:) yikes

What we have is a fine example of not only how believers are unable to fathom a world without their gods, but the fact that religion has them believe they cannot live without their gods and would prefer not to live at all.

The damage done from religious indoctrination is all too serious and should not be taken lightly as it has resounding effects and consequences on societies, continuing to be a blight on our ability to help mankind and its problems, and to be free from this kind of intellectual enslavement.

1. profile image57

BS

Absolutely. Anger is definitely an emotion one would feel when they realize how much effort and resources they wasted on religious conviction and ritual, so much that all they can muster is a well rounded explicative. smile

1. profile image57

there is no anger in that, I just know when walking through a pasture, if i see crap in the grass. science would back me up on that

At the very least, science backing up your observation of crap in a pasture is leaps and bounds over you backing up your empty expletive.  smile

1. profile image57

you call it what you want, it does not change anything,
                    how about proving there is no God.
                    you can't, all you can do is speak about what others have written,
                    I go by what I have seen,
                    and again when I see crap, I know what it is

2. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thinking you have all the pieces to the puzzle is your DELUSION. Long may it wave! Oh, and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! smilewinksmile

2. pennyofheaven profile image80
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes agree religion is taught. What they teach to believe in for the most part it is unseen so they are teaching to have faith in the unseen. Facts and experience are two very different things. You do not need faith in the unseen if you have experienced it. You will however need faith in the intellectual understanding if you have not experienced it.

Just like breathing, we do not need to have faith or have all the facts or intellectual knowledge about it. Because we experience it. We (the average layperson) don't know how it works we just know that it does.

11. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

An Answer to the above question as to why people have 'faith'.

In the late 70s there was an Australian research paper (and, no, I wouldn't be able to find it now) that asked why people got involved in religion.

Essentially, there were several reasons.

a) soft brainwashing from birth. They heard it so many times that they believed it. The human brain has evolved so that it accepts as truth everything it hears over and over again.

b) When people have been traumatised or are unhappy,or are in a terrible situation, and they can't find a way out, they look for magical cures. Whichever religion finds them first, that's the one that gets them.

c) The experience of 'accepting God' and 'experiencing God' is idential in every single religion. The only thing that is different is the interpretation of it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)